Redskins and Tua at pick 2 - Smokescreen or real?

2 minutes ago, dneveu said:

If Tua goes at 2, they may panic and overpay in a trade up. Chargers can only offer so much to try and get Herbert and the dolphins have a lot more draft picks.  

I wonder if Cardale Jones would have had more cheering.

I could see the Chargers doing what the Jets did in 2018 and trading to 3 early on to ensure they get, at worst, the 3rd QB off the board 

Edited by YoloinOhio

Just now, YoloinOhio said:

I could see the Chargers doing what the Jets did in 2018 and trading to 3 early on to ensure they get, at worst, the 3rd QB off the board 

Gonna cost a lot - the option of getting chase young is pretty appetizing.  Having him fall to 4 would be hilarious - considering Gettleman wanted originally to trade the pick.  

Jets traded #6 and 3 2nd rounders.  Gotta think another 1st in 2021 and 2 2nds might get it done.  

Just now, BuffaloRebound said:

The only thing that might prevent this from happening is Chase Young.  Otherwise, redskins would be stupid not to take Tua.  Sucks for Haskins though.  Look at Rosen.  His NFL career is probably ruined because he went to a terrible situation.  

If Haskins gets moved to the right team it could be good for his career.  Lets be real - washington is probably the terrible situation.  If pittsburgh, or NO grabbed him it will probably be a better spot for him.  Give him at least a year to sit and learn from a HOFer.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, dneveu said:

Gonna cost a lot - the option of getting chase young is pretty appetizing.  Having him fall to 4 would be hilarious - considering Gettleman wanted originally to trade the pick.  

Jets traded #6 and 3 2nd rounders.  Gotta think another 1st in 2021 and 2 2nds might get it done.  

I personally think the Chargers are ready to give up a lot for a QB, no inside info but that seems to be the route they are going. They are in the mode of  Jets/Bills of 2018. They want Herbert. Could see them making the moves to get him. If Detroit goes to 6 and Qbs go 1-3, they could still get one of Chase Young, Jeff Okudah or Isaiah Simmons AND the haul of picks. That’s tasty. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I personally think the Chargers are ready to give up a lot for a QB, no inside info but that seems to be the route they are going. They are in the mode of  Jets/Bills of 2018. They want Herbert. Could see them making the moves to get him. If Detroit goes to 6 and Qbs go 1-3, they could still get one of Chase Young, Jeff Okudah or Isaiah Simmons AND the haul of picks. That’s tasty. 

New empty stadium... Makes sense from a marketing perspective.  They could also be going all-in on a year or 2 of brady to try and move some PSLs and season tickets.  They are incredibly short on PSLs in the new stadium (https://www.forbes.com/sites/mikeozanian/2019/10/11/los-angeles-chargers-revenue-could-take-hit-from-low-psl-sales/), and it would end up hitting the owner in the wallet if he can't move them.  We'll know more once FA shakes out.  

4 minutes ago, dneveu said:

New empty stadium... Makes sense from a marketing perspective.  They could also be going all-in on a year or 2 of brady to try and move some PSLs and season tickets.  They are incredibly short on PSLs in the new stadium (https://www.forbes.com/sites/mikeozanian/2019/10/11/los-angeles-chargers-revenue-could-take-hit-from-low-psl-sales/), and it would end up hitting the owner in the wallet if he can't move them.  We'll know more once FA shakes out.  

I truly do not think they are going to go after Brady. The GM and HC both recently signed extensions and arent really under pressure. I really think once they moved on from Phillip they are ready for a young guy who can move and they can build their team of the future around, not a 43 year old who can’t move regardless of the success he has had. They’ve never been able to put together a decent OL for one reason or another and Brady needs one. I also don’t think they want to tie up a ton of cap space again in a QB. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, YoloinOhio said:

I truly do not think they are going to go after Brady. The GM and HC both recently signed extensions and arent really under pressure. 

I just look at it from an owners perspective.  He moved the team from SD because of money - and if he doesn't get season ticket sales moving quickly he's going to lose a ton of money.  The whole move to LA was short-sighted and stupid.  They don't have fans there.  No ones driving 3 hours in traffic to and from a chargers game - and the Rams already played there.  

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, dneveu said:

I just look at it from an owners perspective.  He moved the team from SD because of money - and if he doesn't get season ticket sales moving quickly he's going to lose a ton of money.  The whole move to LA was short-sighted and stupid.  They don't have fans there.  No ones driving 3 hours in traffic to and from a chargers game - and the Rams already played there.  

He’s just a tenant in that stadium. Kroenke wants him to sell his share of PSLs but spanos is paying like 1 dollar to play there or something. The chargers turn their license revenue over to the Rams in the stadium deal. The money spanos is getting from TV, they don’t really care how many of their own fans show up.I don’t think the move was a good idea either but spanos is cheap. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

He’s just a tenant in that stadium. Kroenke wants him to sell his share of PSLs but spanos is paying like 1 dollar to play there or something. The money he is getting from TV they don’t really care how many fans show up. I don’t think the move was a good idea either but spanos is cheap. 

I believe they owe a certain amount of PSLs to meet the terms of that lease though - so while he doesn't need his fans there he does need to sell some people something or it comes out of his revenue share.  

The Haskins play that sticks in my head is taking selfies with a fan and not being aware that there was a kneel down snap needed to win the game against the Lions...I know it doesn't seem like much but if a "Franchise" QB can't be intensely game focused for 3 and half hours on a Sunday -- what are the Redskins going to get during the week.  Coach Rivera is pretty no nonsense when it comes to this stuff.  I know this would cause me to have questions about Haskins and dig deep into maturity, work ethic and focus.  My sense is Tua is an all-in kind of kid.

25 minutes ago, dneveu said:

I believe they owe a certain amount of PSLs to meet the terms of that lease though - so while he doesn't need his fans there he does need to sell some people something or it comes out of his revenue share.  

Kroenke might be frustrated but he has no recourse because of how the contract is written. They are only required to give whatever amount of PSL revenue they generate back to the Rams. But it is not in writing how much they need to give them or how much they need to charge. Kroenke was pissed that the chargers are charging less than they are but they said hey, we are the #2 team in town and trying to build a fan base, this is what we have to do right now. It was estimated by the NFL that they would each generate 400 mill in PSLs but that is not in writing. Kroenke is on the hook for the entire thing no matter what. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

This seems totally realistic to me. If they think Tua could be much better than Haskins they have to take him, no matter how good Young is. It is actually the same situation as Cards / Murray / Rosen / Bosa (the difference could be that they actually keep Haskins to compete).

How lucky would the Giants be if Chase Young fell to them at #4? Cincy takes Burrow, Washington takes Tua, someone trades up to #3 to take Herbert, and then Chase Young falls right into that idiot Gettleman's lap. :doh::lol:

3 minutes ago, H2o said:

How lucky would the Giants be if Chase Young fell to them at #4? Cincy takes Burrow, Washington takes Tua, someone trades up to #3 to take Herbert, and then Chase Young falls right into that idiot Gettleman's lap. :doh::lol:

I could see this happening. As long as he goes to the nfc I’m happy lol 

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

He’s just a tenant in that stadium. Kroenke wants him to sell his share of PSLs but spanos is paying like 1 dollar to play there or something. The chargers turn their license revenue over to the Rams in the stadium deal. The money spanos is getting from TV, they don’t really care how many of their own fans show up.I don’t think the move was a good idea either but spanos is cheap. 

Pretty sure Spanos is Wilson in Greek language....

• Haha (+1) 2

In 2018, the Cardinals drafted Josh Rosen at #10.  He didn't play well as a rookie.

Then a new coaching staff walked in the door, with the #1 draft pick and no ties to the previous regime's Rosen selection.

With a fantastic pass rusher on the board (Nick Bosa), the Cardinals still decided to take Kyler Murray instead and then trade away Rosen.

In 2019, the Redskins drafted Dwayne Haskins at #15.  He didn't play well as a rookie.

A new coaching staff has walked in the door, with the #2 draft pick and no ties to the previous regime's Haskins selection.

There is a fantastic pass rusher on the board (Chase Young)....

I can't say what the Redskins are thinking.  But there is precedent.  And most people believe Arizona made the correct decision last year.

Because of their draft position, they gain very little from a smokescreen.  They can't claim interest in Tua, but then ALSO shop the pick to needy QB teams wanting to move up.  Everyone knows who is going #1, so it's not like they are trying to get another prospect to fall.