Tee Higgins was tired so he chose not to participate

29 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Any other year I think “ that guys a 1st round pick” - my prediction  this year is he ends up going in the 2nd and it’s not because of his talent level as much as it is the WR group as a whole and then the OTs and EDGE guys that i think could push a guy like him out of the 1st because teams are going to panic since those groups aren’t deep. 

I have a 2nd round grade on him - I have him top of a group of seven 2nd round grades at wide receiver. I just think there is going to be at least 4 or 5 receivers taken in the first and he could well be one of them.

In my opinion, this was not a great decision by Tee Higgins.

A guy like Chase Young can skip the Combine, because nothing he can do during the workout will increase his draft stock.  The general consensus is that he's the #1 non-quarterback in the class already.  Why take the risk of injury, or having a bad workout?  For comparison, just look at Auburn's Derrick Brown.  He was considered one of the elite Top 5 talents in this draft.  But after a poor showing this weekend, people are suddenly starting to question his work ethic.  Don't be surprised if the Combine drops him 5-6 draft slots.

Higgins is not in the same boat.  Entering this weekend, there were about 5-6 wide receivers who would be considered borderline 1st/2nd Rounders.  He was in that same boat, and needed to do something positive to set himself apart.  With all the competition at that position, it's very possible that Higgins drops to a Day 2 pick.

14 hours ago, BringBackFergy said:

Plus he played in the National Championship game 6 weeks ago so he wasn’t ready.

Meanwhile, a 330 pound OL from Iowa practiced at his school and absolutely killed it at the combine.
Just say no to Sammy Watkins Jr.

You know, these kids have so much riding on a few seconds, I can't second-guess their decisions.  Viska Shenault ran the 40 with an injured groin, apparently, and possibly lowered his draft stock by being 0.1s or 0.15 sec slow running in a straight line in pajamas.

That said Tee Higgins was not on my short list of "best WR for the Bills to draft" before the combine

• Like (+1) 1

“I know you don't like Higgins, but I'd advise you to come around to it."

Doesn’t that sound like something Tom Hagen would say to some shmoe not too long before some of the Corleone ‘helpers’ came by for a chat?

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013

2 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

In my opinion, this was not a great decision by Tee Higgins.

A guy like Chase Young can skip the Combine, because nothing he can do during the workout will increase his draft stock.  The general consensus is that he's the #1 non-quarterback in the class already.  Why take the risk of injury, or having a bad workout?  For comparison, just look at Auburn's Derrick Brown.  He was considered one of the elite Top 5 talents in this draft.  But after a poor showing this weekend, people are suddenly starting to question his work ethic.  Don't be surprised if the Combine drops him 5-6 draft slots.

Higgins is not in the same boat.  Entering this weekend, there were about 5-6 wide receivers who would be considered borderline 1st/2nd Rounders.  He was in that same boat, and needed to do something positive to set himself apart.  With all the competition at that position, it's very possible that Higgins drops to a Day 2 pick.

I love how much stock gets put in  the combine - and how many mistakes likely get made because of it.  There's some combination of the "quality of athlete" that the combine provides, the film which shows who they are, and your scouts and GM determining what they can become.  

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

You know, these kids have so much riding on a few seconds, I can't second-guess their decisions.  Viska Shenault ran the 40 with an injured groin, apparently, and possibly lowered his draft stock by being 0.1s or 0.15 sec slow running in a straight line in pajamas.

That said Tee Higgins was not on my short list of "best WR for the Bills to draft" before the combine

I have no problem with his (or anyone's) decision to not run.

I do have a problem with him opening his mouth and letting stupid stuff come out ... but not a big problem.

As we've all seen over the past couple years (thank you, AB), magic between the ears isn't a necessity for wide receivers.

5 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Tee knows the run is big for him, if he didn't feel 100% prepared I think he did the right thing swerving it. As you say Shenault decided to run it unhealthy and I'm really not sure it was a wise move.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Yup, never been a fan. He got swallowed up in the National Championship and I just don't see him getting separation or making those tough catches as a pro. I'm hoping we can land Ruggs or Shenault, though the latter seems to be experiencing some injury problems which hopefully causes him to drop.  If we don't get either, then go DE/EDGE and take a stab at Peoples-Jones or Claypool in the 2nd/3rd or move up if someone they love drops.

Edited by BillsRdue

46 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

Ya gotta assume he isn’t this unaware all the time... maybe...in the end likely not a big deal, 

Yeah definitely.  I think he just cracked and said something stupid when we all know what happened.  He thinks he's good enough to not have to participate and he'll work out at his pro day.  It was just dumb to put it out there that way.  Pretty simple and overall not a big deal.  I suspect every team will also think this is a non issue.  

3 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I have no problem with his (or anyone's) decision to not run.

I do have a problem with him opening his mouth and letting stupid stuff come out ... but not a big problem.

As we've all seen over the past couple years (thank you, AB), magic between the ears isn't a necessity for wide receivers.

Unfortunately, being able to understand the offense, read the defense and get to the right spot on the field may be a necessity for WR in Daboll's offense.

Not really all about Tee Higgins but I think the Prime Time Coverage is really doing these players a disservice. Sitting around all day waiting to run and then they are running at like 9 o’clock at night. 

this is their Job interview and the NFL did them a disservice for $$$$

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Not really all about Tee Higgins but I think the Prime Time Coverage is really doing these players a disservice. Sitting around all day waiting to run and then they are running at like 9 o’clock at night. 

The entire combine, to me, is a joke; the physical part of it, anyway.

Teams should just conduct interviews.  It's fine if it makes sense (to me it does) to get all the kids in the same place so multiple teams can meet with them.  But there's no reason for them to jump, run, lift, etc.  There's enough footage for teams to determine how good the kids are at what they do.

I'd like to see more kids (all of them, eventually) opt out of the physical crap and do what's best for them and their future.  Not what's best for the people making money for putting them through an unnecessary Westminster Human Show.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Gugny said:

The entire combine, to me, is a joke; the physical part of it, anyway.

Teams should just conduct interviews.  It's fine if it makes sense (to me it does) to get all the kids in the same place so multiple teams can meet with them.  But there's no reason for them to jump, run, lift, etc.  There's enough footage for teams to determine how good the kids are at what they do.

I'd like to see more kids (all of them, eventually) opt out of the physical crap and do what's best for them and their future.  Not what's best for the people making money for putting them through an unnecessary Westminster Human Show.

completely agree. Just do their physical testing at their pro day in their controlled environment setting themselves up for best performance possible. 

Combine should be interviews and Medical and that is it. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Corporate Greed rules the roost, its the M O for corporations world wide. Nowadays if one does not monetize absolutely everything you have failed yourself or the stock holder, ain’t it great...

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Lurker said:

Answer me this.   If you were interviewing a kid about to graduate from the Harvard or Wharton MBA program for a management trainee job and he said, "sorry I'm late, I had to grab some lunch because I missed breakfast" or "I had to call another recruiter back about a text they just sent me," would you still consider hiring them?

Football temperament and squad personality are intangible, yet important things.  You hear McBeane talk about them all the time.

“We’ve got a tremendous culture and a tremendous locker room. It’s really about a transformational type of culture and locker room as opposed to transactional."

"McDermott has been preaching a team-first culture since he arrived in 2017. After three seasons, he now has a handful of players who have both embraced that message and produced in a big way on the field in helping the Bills earn two playoff berths in three years."

The combine is an interview process, both in terms of gauging the players' personalities AND their ability to perform in a competitive setting.   Kids who don't rise to the challenge -- when so many others do -- are a big red flag for me.   And I suspect a lot of other NFL personnel would think like this as well... 

Your question is so off, it isn't even apples to oranges. At least they're both fruit. Your question is more like apples to steak. Tee will be considered and will get drafted, The Harvard grad is interviewing with a specific company. Tee has no say so on who drafts him. His goal is to get drafted and he will. Tee isn't doing something a lot of players haven't done in the past, or even this year(Chase and Burrow). There's so much riding on his 40 and drills and if he doesn't feel right, he has his pro day to show scouts what he can do.

He was in Indy for the combine, so I'm pretty sure he was interviewed by plenty of teams. He will still be interviewed by plenty of teams interested in him to gauge his personality and he will answer tons of questions on not participating. You can't be serious with the "ability to perform in a competitive setting" quote. You can't be. It's guys in their underwear running and jumping, on their own. Who would he be competing against? Watch his game film to see him in a competitive environment. He didn't blow his chances for an interview or the job he seeks like your Harvard Grad did. You gonna be mad if we interview him? Not me.