Diggs on the block? Rumor is a 2nd rd pick (year old thread)

BillsMafi$

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Ha the version of that I've heard is "don't pee on me and tell me it's raining"

Ironically That’s actually a stefon Diggs quote from one of those interviews he did this year when asked about the Vikings , the trust factor. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Ironically That’s actually a stefon Diggs quote from one of those interviews he did this year when asked about the Vikings , the trust factor. 

I heard that interview, but the phrase itself (with a couple variations) goes way further back.

https://www.quora.com/What-does-dont-piss-on-me-and-tell-me-its-raining-mean?share=1''

Book by Judge Judy among other things

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I heard that interview, but the phrase itself (with a couple variations) goes way further back.

https://www.quora.com/What-does-dont-piss-on-me-and-tell-me-its-raining-mean?share=1''

Book by Judge Judy among other things

Yes I didn’t mean it originated with him. It was actually the first time I heard it though. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, MJS said:

I think most of the opinions were pretty valid at the time. Diggs had a breakout year. Yeah, everyone knew he was a good receiver, but at the time there was not evidence of him being an All-Pro receiver and being able to lead the league in receptions and receiving yards.

And those who thought Thielen was better were justified in how the Vikings used them both. Thielen seemed to be the go-to receiver there with Diggs used as a deep threat.

At the time of the trade there were tons of people saying we overpaid, including Bills fans. Turns out we did not overpay and Diggs was a huge difference maker and proved he could be one of the best receivers in the league. But at the time, Diggs had had a couple of 1,000 yard seasons and showed he was a great route runner, but he had not shown that he was an All-Pro caliber receiver yet.

I was not against the trade when it happened and I was hopeful of what Diggs could mean to the offense, but I don't think it was wrong for others to have been worried about the move and think we gave up too much at the time.

Good post. Thielen is good and him and Diggs were more like 1A and 1Bs. And seeing what the stupid Texans did, It seemed like an overpay for a guy who hadn’t produced like Hopkins.  

but The front office looks like genius. Diggs was the most valuable offseason acquisition and helped take Allen to a level we never seen. Classic win win trade because Jefferson was awesome too.  I do wish he was a little bigger because I do worry about those smaller guys be taken out of games at times but that’s the smallest nit pick ever. Diggs was one of the greatest pickups in franchise history and was a huge leader.

and if I was his agent, I’d ask for a new contract. 😉

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, 1ManRaid said:

This was the weirdest take for me at the time.  Was a great contract for someone widely regarded as a top 10 WR.

Offering a third for Diggs would have been like all the cheapskates lowballing me with $500 offers for my Mustang.  Becomes a "I'll tow it to a scrap yard before I take such an insulting offer" situation.  As if other teams wouldn't be willing to do better than a 3rd.  You don't spit in someone's face and then say you did them a favor by moisturizing their dry skin.

Well, a year ago, another premium Top 10 WR went for a 2nd Round pick and a case of Budweiser... so, at the time, a 1st was a little rich IMO.  Plus look at what was available (drafted) with our pick. I think I said I wanted to give up a 2nd rounder (plus maybe other picks) for Diggs bc we needed that 1st round pick for other needs.

In hindsight, after seeing how well everything turned out, it was a win-win for both teams.

6 hours ago, MJS said:

I think most of the opinions were pretty valid at the time. Diggs had a breakout year. Yeah, everyone knew he was a good receiver, but at the time there was not evidence of him being an All-Pro receiver and being able to lead the league in receptions and receiving yards.

And those who thought Thielen was better were justified in how the Vikings used them both. Thielen seemed to be the go-to receiver there with Diggs used as a deep threat.

At the time of the trade there were tons of people saying we overpaid, including Bills fans. Turns out we did not overpay and Diggs was a huge difference maker and proved he could be one of the best receivers in the league. But at the time, Diggs had had a couple of 1,000 yard seasons and showed he was a great route runner, but he had not shown that he was an All-Pro caliber receiver yet.

I was not against the trade when it happened and I was hopeful of what Diggs could mean to the offense, but I don't think it was wrong for others to have been worried about the move and think we gave up too much at the time.

🤨 The hot takes most certainly weren't valid. They were downright terrible to anyone paying attention.  Theilan was never better than Diggs.

Steph was a top 7 or 8 receiver in the league.  He just needed the opportunity to show what he could do as the focal point of the passing game.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

14 hours ago, BuffalothruMyVeins said:

I sure hope we end up signing Diggs. I think he might develop chemistry with Josh very quickly, and could probably even have the best receiving year in Bills franchise history! This guy would be a legitimate #1 in the right offense. I mean, he could carry us to the AFC Championship Game! (I think they still might not be able to get past KC, though.)

Wow...spot on!

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, hjnick said:

Well, a year ago, another premium Top 10 WR went for a 2nd Round pick and a case of Budweiser... so, at the time, a 1st was a little rich IMO.  Plus look at what was available (drafted) with our pick. I think I said I wanted to give up a 2nd rounder (plus maybe other picks) for Diggs bc we needed that 1st round pick for other needs.

In hindsight, after seeing how well everything turned out, it was a win-win for both teams.

And as I said over and over back then, you can't measure our deal against the one the circus clown known as BoB made with the Texans.  Me getting my car 30% off isn't a bad deal because you found a sucker to sell you a car 60% off.

6 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Ha the version of that I've heard is "don't pee on me and tell me it's raining"

Oh yeah that's what I thinking.

31 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

🤨 The hot takes most certainly weren't valid. They were downright terrible to anyone paying attention.  Theilan was never better than Diggs.

Steph was a top 7 or 8 receiver in the league.  He just needed the opportunity to show what he could do as the focal point of the passing game.

So Thielen wasn't better in 2017 when he had 1276 yards, 91 catches, and 5 TD's compared to Diggs who had 849 yards, 64 receptions, and 8 TD's?

What about in 2018 when Thielen had 1373 yards, 113 receptions, and 9 TD's compared to Diggs who had 1022 yards, 102 receptions, and 9 TD's?

He also had more receptions, yards, and TD's than Diggs in 2016.

So it is obvious NOW that Diggs is better than Thielen, but a year ago that wasn't really the case. Thielen had two pro bowls and Diggs had none. I'm pretty sure Thielen was listed ahead of Diggs on the depth chart too. Yes, they were 1A and 1B, but Thielen was the 1A.

Perhaps Diggs knew he was better and was not being utilized to his full potential, and maybe that had something to do with some of the tension that emerged there. But to outside observers, Thielen and Diggs were both really good receivers, but Thielen had a bit more production and was used in a wider variety of ways.

Perhaps you and others were wiser and knew that Diggs was much better than Thielen, but that was not how the two receivers were being used in Minnesota.

14 minutes ago, smuvtalker said:

As was I.  But when we traded for Diggs, not a bone in my body felt like we overpaid for him.  I just remember being filled with optimism.  

I was really happy about the trade too. We had a low 1st round pick and I thought there was no way a rookie would come in and be better than Diggs.

• Like (+1) 1

Read this whole thread again, ha good read.  

There are so many “I told you so” replies I wanna post...but I’ll just do one general “I told you so” victory lap instead...

Drum roll...🥁🥁🥁...

...🥁🥁🥁...

I told you so.

And so did some others as well.  Kudos to them too.  

😂 I’m also the 420th reply 💨💨💨😂

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Haha (+1) 1

18 hours ago, MJS said:

On the bolded - they really weren't. Not unless they were box score scouting and not tape scouting. I said it until I was blue un the face - when a team has two good receivers, if you want to know who the #1 is don't look at a stat sheet. Don't look at a depth chart. Don't listen to the stories about who the QB has a rapport with. Don't look at draft stock (not that people were in this case it was a 5th rounder and an UDFA but just in general). Look at the tape and watch how teams defend them. That is where the answer was. Teams doubled Diggs all the way down the field at a much higher rate than they doubled Thielen. The only place that the defending against the two evened out was in the redzone where teams did start to play Thielen a little more. That isn't to say Adam Thielen is a bad player. He clearly isn't. But he isn't as talented as Stefon Diggs and to be honest it isn't that close. Interestingly this past year Thielen saw way more double teams. It helped Jefferson eat and by the end of the season that had evened up. Don't be surprised if Thielen's production takes a nice bump back up in 2021 as more teams double JJ.  

• Agree 3

5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

On the bolded - they really weren't. Not unless they were box score scouting and not tape scouting. I said it until I was blue un the face - when a team has two good receivers, if you want to know who the #1 is don't look at a stat sheet. Don't look at a depth chart. Don't listen to the stories about who the QB has a rapport with. Don't look at draft stock (not that people were in this case it was a 5th rounder and an UDFA but just in general). Look at the tape and watch how teams defend them. That is where the answer was. Teams doubled Diggs all the way down the field at a much higher rate than they doubled Thielen. The only place that the defending against the two evened out was in the redzone where teams did start to play Thielen a little more. That isn't to say Adam Thielen is a bad player. He clearly isn't. But he isn't as talented as Stefon Diggs and to be honest it isn't that close. Interestingly this past year Thielen saw way more double teams. It helped Jefferson eat and by the end of the season that had evened up. Don't be surprised if Thielen's production takes a nice bump back up in 2021 as more teams double JJ.  

Gunner is 100% right about this.. and is right... this really was not close... even if you look at stat sheet