Dak Prescott situation turning into a Kirk Cousins standoff?

1 hour ago, Thurman#1 said:

I'd take Cousins in a micro-second.

His playoff losses absolutely have not been mostly his fault. He's not a top five guy and looks like he never will be, but he's better than Dak.

I'm so happy that the Bills don't have to deal with the Prescott situation. He clearly isn't a $35M guy, but at the same time, Dallas can't let him go, and he looks like he's not coming for less. I think they end up paying him too much. Couldn't happen to a nicer team and owner.

The team is 40-24 when he's the starter and has a lifetime rating of near 100. As for playoff losses that aren't the QB's fault, Prescott has played in 3 postseason games. The Cowboys won once and lost one in which Aaron Rodgers was absolutely out of his mind at the end of the game. The Cowboys' offense certainly played well enough to win that game. Their other loss was to a Rams team that made the SB. The Cowboys defense gave up 273 rushing yards and 459 total yards in that game.

Lots of mythology in this thread ... 

11 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Do you think Allen is championship caliber?  Jimmy G almost won the SB.  

I don’t see Dak as elite but people go to far to bash him.  He is 40-24, completed nearly 66% of his passes, 97 td to 36 int, a 97 qb rating, along with 21 rushing tds.  We would be over the moon if Allen has a start like that to his career.  

Lots of uninformed fans, it seems ...

1 hour ago, H2o said:

Dak's a quality QB, but not upper echelon. I have many friends that are Cowboys fans. The knock on him according to those friends is missing the open man on the intermediate to deep throws, especially in crunch time, and seemingly disappearing when the team needs him to throw them on his back. He's not a bad QB, but he's not a $35,000,000-$40,000,000 a year QB either. 

The salary number is irrelevant - what matters is the percentage of the cap room that the player takes up. Salaries go up ever year in a multi-billion dollar league whose revenue grows every year. Don't get hung up on salary numbers. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, ALF said:

He was underpaid for 4 years this is where he makes up for that. 

Unfortunately for him, that's not how owners look at it.  Some would also argue that Dallas was carried by Zeke (pun intended) and Dak just managed the game.  I think he was more than that but certainly not an elite player.  I always enjoy seeing turmoil in big D.

Dak is nothing without Zeke and the numbers show that.  Zeke makes Dak look way better than he actually is.  Don't get me wrong, he's a decent QB, but take Zeke out of the game and Dak is comparable to the lower echelon of QBs in the league.  He should not be paid like a top tier QB.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

It’s not like Dallas couldn’t have gotten a discount last year.  Now it’s pay market value (or very close to it) or tag him and go down that road. 

They offered him $33 mil/yr last year and he turned it down. Was that a discount?

Dak is a glorified busdriver.

He has a great OLine

He has an elite RB behind him.

He has a great WR corp.

Dallas ends at 8-8... So why did they fail?  Coach?  Really.

Buffalo totally destroyed them.  Buffalo's DEF stopped their offense until we started playing prevent defense at the end of the game.

SO when Dak get paid 37-40MIL and then they have to start cutting talent around him... Can he carry that offense???  NO, he can't.

Now, If I was Dallas.  I would try and trade Dak to Miami for 2 1st round draft picks + Josh Rosen.  That way you can either bundle picks to get Tua or pick a different heir apparent AND you still have picks to help other positions.

• Like (+1) 2

Don't think he is a bad quarterback by any means.   He is probably right outside the top five at his position when all the pieces in Dallas are rolling.   Without Zeke his record and stats are essentially akin to someone like Andy Dalton.   In the right circumstance I think Dak can get a team to the playoffs consistently and win you some playoff games, just not sure he will ever be a top five player at his position.   Knowing that if I were the Cowboys I'd trade him now and bring in an older quarterback who they can pay less and get a similar result from.   Dalton would be a good fit there for a lot less money. 

They need to look at teams like Oakland, Minnesota, and Detroit and learn from them paying Quarterbacks who were above average to average players like they were elite.  They paid out their butts to get virtually nowhere.   

As a rule in my Bills fandom i hate the Cowboys ! I've been at Jerry's palace a couple of times with my job & the guy is the epitome of a ass bag, he is at every event that happens at his palace & if things aren't done the way he thinks they should be or to his standard he pulls the plug & does it the way he thinks it should be done .

I guess if your paying the bill that is his option but that dude has one hell of a ego & i personally can't stand it or him & his club that's just me !

This may be the only time i will ever agree with him though, i think (and again it's just me) IMHO the contracts for these guys are getting crazy because they all want to live like kings well over & above what they truly need to live a very comfortable life & as i've said before if someone is foolish enough to pay you go for it !!

But if a company is only willing to pay so much then it's time to move on & it looks as if Jerry is at that point & i can't say as i blame him . Sure it's a little old school & maybe a hard line but some one has to do it & Jerrah is the guy that will be "That Guy" ! 

9 minutes ago, T master said:

As a rule in my Bills fandom i hate the Cowboys ! I've been at Jerry's palace a couple of times with my job & the guy is the epitome of a ass bag, he is at every event that happens at his palace & if things aren't done the way he thinks they should be or to his standard he pulls the plug & does it the way he thinks it should be done .

I guess if your paying the bill that is his option but that dude has one hell of a ego & i personally can't stand it or him & his club that's just me !

This may be the only time i will ever agree with him though, i think (and again it's just me) IMHO the contracts for these guys are getting crazy because they all want to live like kings well over & above what they truly need to live a very comfortable life & as i've said before if someone is foolish enough to pay you go for it !!

But if a company is only willing to pay so much then it's time to move on & it looks as if Jerry is at that point & i can't say as i blame him . Sure it's a little old school & maybe a hard line but some one has to do it & Jerrah is the guy that will be "That Guy" ! 

Again, the actual number is irrelevant; all that matters is cap percentage that the player takes up. NFL team revenues have gone up a lot in recent years, and there is consistent revenue growth year upon year. Consequently, salary averages go up every year because the CBA mandates that a specified portion of overall revenue goes to player salaries. People get way, way, way too hung up on salary numbers. 

1 hour ago, Circlethewagon8404 said:

Dak is nothing without Zeke and the numbers show that.  Zeke makes Dak look way better than he actually is.  Don't get me wrong, he's a decent QB, but take Zeke out of the game and Dak is comparable to the lower echelon of QBs in the league.  He should not be paid like a top tier QB.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/ezekiel-elliott-is-not-worth-the-money-he-wants/

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, JMF2006 said:

Lots of options at QB this year.

Teddy did a decent job in relief at NOLA.

Cowgirls could have a cheaper option available. 

I'd take Teddy over Dak every day.  

this is an interesting situation, what do you pay an above-average, non-elite QB.  And I agree with others, these QB's should not be "resetting" the market.  The top QB's should be doing that (Wilson, Brees, etc).  

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, H2o said:

Dak's a quality QB, but not upper echelon. I have many friends that are Cowboys fans. The knock on him according to those friends is missing the open man on the intermediate to deep throws, especially in crunch time, and seemingly disappearing when the team needs him to throw them on his back. He's not a bad QB, but he's not a $35,000,000-$40,000,000 a year QB either. 

This. I know that the Cap is going up.

He is good but no better than lots of other mid tier QB's. Dallas could have thrown Trubisky in there & their record wouldn't have been much different.

9 hours ago, HOUSE said:
Image result for dak prescott, buffalo bills

Using the tag on QB Dak Prescott could end up being the worst move for the Cowboys

That’s what makes his contract situation surprising to me. When a franchise LOVES a quarterback, it makes a deal happen. The Cowboys have clearly set their price and years on a contract and have not budged. Prescott’s camp has their number in mind and they aren’t moving either. We have a good old-fashioned contract standoff, with neither side “winning” at the moment.

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2020/2/14/21136789/cowboys-news-dak-prescott-situation-turning-into-a-kirk-cousins-standoff

Interesting find, Thanks!  Goes into some good detail on Cooper and Byron Jones as well.  But did he actually explain why he says "using the tag on QB Dak Prescott could end up being the worst move for the Cowboys?"

10 hours ago, aristocrat said:

you can't just keep giving the qb's the new higher and biggest deal. dak isn't the best in the game so shouldn't be paid as much. 

Dak might not be a top 10 QB, hell no am I not committing 15% of my cap to him. Dak should be slotted in at 25 million or just about. 

12 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

I'd take Cousins in a micro-second.

His playoff losses absolutely have not been mostly his fault. He's not a top five guy and looks like he never will be, but he's better than Dak.

I'm so happy that the Bills don't have to deal with the Prescott situation. He clearly isn't a $35M guy, but at the same time, Dallas can't let him go, and he looks like he's not coming for less. I think they end up paying him too much. Couldn't happen to a nicer team and owner.

I don’t ‘worry’ about much but I was very concerned with all the bills interest rumors when he was a FA.

thankful Minny overpaid Alex Smith lite.

I think Dak is roughly a top 10 QB and appears to be improving still. Think the ideal course of action for Dallas would have been to prioritize the 3 current FAs: Dak, Amari, and Jones rather than Zeke and Jaylon Smith. But here we are; they gave big contracts to probably the two least valuable of the big 5 and seem poised to at least lose 1 of the top 3.

Edited by DCOrange

I hate the Cowboys.

Dak is a notch above mediocre, and not worthy of so much attention.

Why so many like to clutter this Bills board with discussions about them, when there are surely a hundred other sites to talk about them with people closer to the source,, I have no idea.

Edited by 32ABBA

15 hours ago, Rob's House said:

If I'm Jerry & Dak's holding out for $40m/yr, I'd be inclined to let him walk, draft his replacement, and sign a veteran stopgap. Brady, Brees, Bridgewater, Rivers, & Winston are all free agents, and I'd feel pretty good about my chances of getting one of them for a hell of a lot less than $40m, and feel just as good, if not better, about my chances this year.

Dak's Scottie Pippin demanding to be paid like he's Michael Jordan.

Are you sure he is not Toni Kukoc? He might be. 

The free agency period for NFL players begins at 3 p.m. March 18, and the Cowboys have 25 unrestricted free agents they must evaluate. Not everyone will return — retirement, money or skill are all part of the equation. With new coach Mike McCarthy in charge, the 2020 roster will have a much different look. 

https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/cowboys/2020/02/14/5-cowboys-likely-to-depart-why-its-time-for-jason-witten-dallas-to-part-ways/

Will be interesting