Streaming Stinkers: Netflix, Prime, etc

/dev/null

Reading thru the last few posts in the "Notable Netflix" got me thinking.  With all the shows available in our era of "Peak TV" there are plenty of great shows out there.  But there are also plenty of duds, bombs, and streaming stinkers.  The kind of show that when you're done, you think sometime in the distant future you will be laying on your deathbed looking back at your life and really wish you hadn't wasted those precious hours watching such a terrible show.

So with that said, I'll go first:

Brittania on Amazon Prime.  If you see it show up in your recommended list, avoid it. 

Beowulf on Amazon Prime.  This one showed up in my recommended list but I remember watching it on DirecTV a few years ago before I cut the cord.

I don't spend enough time on stinkers nowadays to even remember them. There's just not enough time. With so many good shows out, I give a show 1 episode, maybe 2...

Crappy shows I've seen my wife watching...

Riverdale

Fuller House

How to Get Away with Murder

7 hours ago, Foxx said:

season 2 of American Gods on Starz.

Amazon got Good Omens right by making it a limited, 6-episode mini-series. They were able to keep every detail in the book so you didnt miss anything, but nothing more so it wasnt watered down.

Starz killed American Gods and got it way wrong by trying to make it something beyond the book.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LeGOATski said:

I don't spend enough time on stinkers nowadays to even remember them. There's just not enough time. With so many good shows out, I give a show 1 episode, maybe 2...

Crappy shows I've seen my wife watching...

Riverdale

Fuller House

How to Get Away with Murder

how to get away with murder has to be the worst show I have seen. I suffered through one season. They are defense lawyers, yet end up constantly committing or witnessing murders. 

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Amazon got Good Omens right by making it a limited, 6-episode mini-series. They were able to keep every detail in the book so you didnt miss anything, but nothing more so it wasnt watered down.

Starz killed American Gods and got it way wrong by trying to make it something beyond the book.

i really liked the first season and looked forward to the second. they were all over the map in season 2 and never brought it home. your right, they should have left well enough alone.

3 hours ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

how to get away with murder has to be the worst show I have seen. I suffered through one season. They are defense lawyers, yet end up constantly committing or witnessing murders. 

the worst of the worst

it makes me throw up a little

• Thank you (+1) 1

21 hours ago, /dev/null said:

Reading thru the last few posts in the "Notable Netflix" got me thinking.  With all the shows available in our era of "Peak TV" there are plenty of great shows out there.  But there are also plenty of duds, bombs, and streaming stinkers.  The kind of show that when you're done, you think sometime in the distant future you will be laying on your deathbed looking back at your life and really wish you hadn't wasted those precious hours watching such a terrible show.

So with that said, I'll go first:

Brittania on Amazon Prime.  If you see it show up in your recommended list, avoid it. 

Beowulf on Amazon Prime.  This one showed up in my recommended list but I remember watching it on DirecTV a few years ago before I cut the cord.

My wife thought "Troop Zero" (Amazon Prime) was awful.

2 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

My wife thought "Troop Zero" (Amazon Prime) was awful.

I keep seeing it advertised because of Him Gaffigan on Facebook. He did a few movies last year. Can't say I have any interest in watching it even though I like his stand up. Reading some of the comments from people who watched it and they all loved it, but they sounded more like people who just wanted a wholesome clean movie and would rave about anything he did....

1 hour ago, apuszczalowski said:

I keep seeing it advertised because of Him Gaffigan on Facebook. He did a few movies last year. Can't say I have any interest in watching it even though I like his stand up. Reading some of the comments from people who watched it and they all loved it, but they sounded more like people who just wanted a wholesome clean movie and would rave about anything he did....

What she didn't like was how formulaic it was.

2 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Suffering through the end of “You” season 1.  Awful, awful show....wife insists that we finish S1.  

The acting isn't great but the storyline kept me interested that me and my wife watched the entire first 2 seasons, it's coming back for a season 3 yet not sure what they can do to it to add anything. 

On 1/27/2020 at 12:26 PM, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Suffering through the end of “You” season 1.  Awful, awful show....wife insists that we finish S1.  

I tried, but lost the remaining tiny bit of interest I still had the moment Breck showed up in Joe’s neighborhood looking to run into him.  I’m interested in what happened to the owner of the bookshop.  Seems like there was a long revenge game by Joe that played out and I’m interested in that flashback, but I’m not watching another season plus to find out what happened.  I’d welcome a spoiler on that. 

there was one spy film on netflix where Sidney Poitier was a CIA guy trying to break up a spy ring in Russia. After a few minutes I'm going "Russia is one o the most caucasian countries in the world. I think an African American CIA agent might stand out just a little." I turned it off. Credibility fail.

Tried watching The Expanse on Amazon cuz I heard good things and in general am a big Sci Fi guy.. fell asleep halfway through the first episode because it was so boring.  Is this show good?

9 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

The Witcher is a stinker in a lot of ways, yet I've watched 5 episodes I think and I'll keep watching.

Watch the whole season.  The timeline is kind of messy but ties out pretty good and I think in totality the 1st season is solid.  

3 minutes ago, HeHateMe said:

Tried watching The Expanse on Amazon cuz I heard good things and in general am a big Sci Fi guy.. fell asleep halfway through the first episode because it was so boring.  Is this show good?

First season is good.  But the books get worse as the series goes on and the show suffers as well.  The author focused way too much on world building and the plot falls apart as a result.

I'm currently watching "see" on Apple TV. It's a really interesting concept, a virus destroys almost all of humanity, and the remaining survivors are all blind and their children are all born blind. Not sure I'll be able to get through the whole season, but we'll see (no pun intended) 

53 minutes ago, Steptide said:

I'm currently watching "see" on Apple TV. It's a really interesting concept, a virus destroys almost all of humanity, and the remaining survivors are all blind and their children are all born blind. Not sure I'll be able to get through the whole season, but we'll see (no pun intended) 

Didn't Sandra Bullock do something like this on Netflix a few years ago?

2 hours ago, stuvian said:

there was one spy film on netflix where Sidney Poitier was a CIA guy trying to break up a spy ring in Russia. After a few minutes I'm going "Russia is one o the most caucasian countries in the world. I think an African American CIA agent might stand out just a little." I turned it off. Credibility fail.

This reminds me of a joke Trevor Noah did on one of his stand-ups where he talks about people complaints about James Bond being replaced by someone black and how it wouldnt work having a black British spy running around Scotland or Russia, trying to get away from bad guys chasing him through 'very caucasian' areas of the world....

8 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

Didn't Sandra Bullock do something like this on Netflix a few years ago?

Kind of, you're referring to birdbox. This is a bit different. This is set way in the future, but since everyone is blind and their isn't many left on the earth, they live more like it's the pre modern age (no electricity, cars etc). 

Hope you weren't planning on streaming the Super Bowl with Roku's Fox channels

https://www.inputmag.com/culture/roku-will-stop-offering-fox-channels-to-users-on-february-1

Without giving users a justification, Roku just announced via mass email that after January 31, 2020, all Fox "standalone" channels with no longer be available on the service's streaming boxes or TVs equipped with its software. The email states that "You can still watch FOX channels through these services: FuboTV, Hulu + Live TV, SlingTV, YouTube TV and other live TV services," and goes on to add that "If you have a Roku TV, you may be able to receive FOX over the air with an antenna."