The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

10 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

The beefed up unemployment benefits, the massive government business bailout package, and the economy being on solid footing before the pandemic could lead to a quicker than expected economic recovery.  We won't be as strong as before but I'm not buying the doomsday predictions at this point.  If there's a second wave then we're in trouble.

What makes you think that by the fall, treatments won’t be available that reduce the impact of this virus on the people most at risk?

6 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Did I say that?

I was assuming that you did based on your second wave comment.

The virus will most certainly return in September but by then, I believe we will be mobilized.

On 3/25/2020 at 2:32 AM, SoCal Deek said:

Geez you people like to argue about everything! Does it ever stop? The country as a whole is doing really well. The vast majority of the cases of this virus are confined to a single city, who’s extremely dense urban living conditions are the perfect breeding ground for this sort of health problem. That isn’t the President’s fault, nor is it the Governor’s fault. Take NYC out of the equation and you’d have a completely different set of numbers. But no! We have to turn EVERYTHING into politics. We have to look for every possible way to spin EVERYTHING as the President’s fault. Not good America....not good.

Without NYC we still have 27,000 people dead in less than 3 months and more than half a million people who've gotten the disease.

And those numbers are clearly actually much higher since we're doing poorly at testing, having gotten to a mere 1% of the population of our country.

And you expect anyone to laud Trump? For what exactly? 

Below is an actual image of Trump at the beginning of this Pandemic:

giphy.gif

• Awesome! (+1) 2

25 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

The beefed up unemployment benefits, the massive government business bailout package, and the economy being on solid footing before the pandemic could lead to a quicker than expected economic recovery.  We won't be as strong as before but I'm not buying the doomsday predictions at this point.  If there's a second wave then we're in trouble.

The US economy is just a part of the global economy.

China is a mess, Europe is a complete disaster, Canada will be shut down for at least another two months because of their nanny government. Who else is there that's a major trading parter?

Because the world is a mess, the US, by default, is also going to be a mess. 

If you're a company in the US that exports discretionary spending products, you're screwed.  If you're in the oil business, you're screwed. If you're in tourism, you're screwed. If you own or work in a restaurant, you're screwed. If you're in the auto industry, you're screwed. 

I think people are grossly underestimating how bad this is going to be economically for the next 6 to 9 months. 

• Like (+1) 2

On 3/25/2020 at 3:19 AM, billsfan1959 said:

1. And yet 60% of the public thinks he is doing a good job with this. Only 38% don't - and you know who you people are: The die hard left who turn everything he does into non-stop crises of world ending proportions. Of course, when confronted with the fact that most Americans disagree with you here, people like you don't take the time to self-reflect on the possibility you might be wrong. Instead, you double down on your delusional self-perception of being more "enlightened" and smarter than everyone else.

Except this is wrong.

Americans historically have always rallied around the President in times of crisis in terms of polling. It's just what Americans do, at least initially.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, meazza said:

I was assuming that you did based on your second wave comment.

The virus will most certainly return in September but by then, I believe we will be mobilized.

I was thinking more about a second wave if we open up too quickly like what may have happened in Hong Kong, Hokkaido, and Singapore.  I'm hopeful the drug remdesivir will continue to show positive results to possibly limit the impact of a 2nd wave in the fall.

Edited by Doc Brown
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, 3rdnlng said:

The word is that he is charming and a real delight to be around in a social setting. There's no doubt in my mind that he can be tough as nails in a business setting but his lifetime of real estate development (especially in NYC) has given him the ability to negotiate. He may start out with asking for the moon and it might sound preposterous to some but its just the opening salvo of a negotiation. Look at the fools he made of the media and how he bent the governors to his will regarding who was going to be in charge of opening up the respective states. He claimed that he had the authority to do so and everyone claimed that he didn't and even the dems brought up federalism as a point. Well he actually did have the authority due to the fact that all 50 states had a declared emergency. Using that authority is the last thing he wanted to do. Now the governors can do what they're paid to do but Trump can use the bully pulpit to encourage them to follow the guidelines. Not only is he doing what is right but he has taken the easy criticism away from the media. 

Exactly why I feel he is the best man we could have for the job today and the next 4.5 years

• Like (+1) 2

21 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Except this is wrong.

Americans historically have always rallied around the President in times of crisis in terms of polling. It's just what Americans do, at least initially.

Is it the slick imagery that gives credence to his post?  I love the Hill-o-Graphic but old Nate had Hillary winning by 19 laps, and she was gassed by early October.  Maybe though, this time he's right?

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2016-election-forecast/

Who will win the presidency?

Chance of winning

Hillary Clinton

71.4%

Donald Trump

28.6%

Chance of winning

Hillary Clinton

71.4%

Donald Trump

28.6%

Chance of winning

clinton-trump.png

Edited by leh-nerd skin-erd
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

That is fascinating to me. Let's just say I could not disagree more with your assessment.

Fauci ummm no comment
Birx she has changed a lot since the start of these. She looks a lot older, worn out, and seems to have learned a lot about dealing with the media.
Pence is the diplomat in the crowd.
Trump really depends on the day and the news he needs to impart.

Agree especially on Pence.  He's really shown over the past couple months that he's a very capable player in this.  A real asset to this administration IMO.  He's sensible and measured and can handle the heat. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, BillStime said:

So Eric Trump asking lendors and landlords to simply to treat him the same as others.  That's a problem?  In the past 2 weeks the bank that holds one of my commercial mortgages has offered us deferred payments and the management company of other properties of mine has cut their minimum monthly fees.  At the same time one of my tenants has asked me for some relief which we are likely to work out with them.  These are sensible adjustments in extraordinary times.  Why should Trump's companies not ask for similar revisions? 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 6

2 hours ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

Is it the slick imagery that gives credence to his post?  I love the Hill-o-Graphic but old Nate had Hillary winning by 19 laps, and she was gassed by early October.  Maybe though, this time he's right?

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2016-election-forecast/

Who will win the presidency?

Chance of winning

Hillary Clinton

71.4%

Donald Trump

28.6%

Chance of winning

Hillary Clinton

71.4%

Donald Trump

28.6%

Chance of winning

clinton-trump.png

Ah yes, the Meteorologist fallacy I brought up in a recent post.

"My Meteorologist said it would rain today but it was sunny ALL day! He's terrible at his job and should be fired!"

Sure, forget the fact that Silver has been statistically INCREDIBLY accurate since he came onto the scene in 2008. Forget the overall accuracy on the national stage of the elections of 2008, 2010, 2012, 2014, and 2018.

He got 2016 wrong... NO ONE should ever give him any credence because he got that 1 election really wrong! 

I guess the key to being a good populist is confirmation bias.

Don't believe me? Here's a direct quote from Pete Navarro just a couple years ago with regard to his job:

"My function, really, as an economist is to try to provide the underlying analytics that confirm his intuition. And his intuition is always right in these matters."

You can't make this %#$+ up :doh:

Edited by transplantbillsfan

2 hours ago, Hardhatharry said:

2 hours ago, Hardhatharry said:

This clip right here is pure gold my friend.  If you hate CNN, then have a look see what the other side of MSM has been doing.  If you pass all of this off as "nobody knew", then you might just be a lemming.

Edited by daz28
  • Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, keepthefaith said:

So Eric Trump asking lendors and landlords to simply to treat him the same as others.  That's a problem?  In the past 2 weeks the bank that holds one of my commercial mortgages has offered us deferred payments and the management company of other properties of mine has cut their minimum monthly fees.  At the same time one of my tenants has asked me for some relief which we are likely to work out with them.  These are sensible adjustments in extraordinary times.  Why should Trump's companies not ask for similar revisions? 

If he hadn't already shredded the Emoluments clause in the Constitution, it wouldn't be a big topic of discussion. The family wants relief after having illegally received funding for their properties. Just another layer of slime.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, fansince88 said:

Hey Andy! Another option is let people go back to their jobs that were essential to them! I didnt vote for him!

There is a better option. Give the antibody tests to essential employees at companies that have worked the 5 weeks or so. Come up with sets of numbers. Spread the tests to companies around cities and in rural America, then use the data and give the country an accurate portrait of the infection rate, hosp rate, and mortality rate.

It’s been long enough, this should be the primary focus. Gather and provide the data so folks can decide what is the best path going forward. 

Its been over a month I have a hard time accepting that they can’t coordinate something like this and have this be an informed decision. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, CommonCents said:

There is a better option. Give the antibody tests to essential employees at companies that have worked the 5 weeks or so. Come up with sets of numbers. Spread the tests to companies around cities and in rural America, then use the data and give the country an accurate portrait of the infection rate, hosp rate, and mortality rate.

It’s been long enough, this should be the primary focus. Gather and provide the data so folks can decide what is the best path going forward. 

Its been over a month I have a hard time accepting that they can’t coordinate something like this and have this be an informed decision. 

My idea is good but I like your idea as well. I know without a shadow of a doubt  myself and wife and oldest son all had it in March. Give me the test!

22 hours ago, daz28 said:

Isn't the government literally trying to get rid of disease carrying parasites?  How can that be a bad thing?

Update on my in-laws' facility, for those interested:

135 Residents (down from 162)

72 total cases

16 died from COVID-19

5 in the hospital

10 waiting on test results

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

6 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

This board's been infested by progressive trash. Worst part of COVID.

They are the internet version of cockroaches, scurrying around in the dark and infecting discussions with self-deluded, hypocritical diatribe - only to scatter when you shine the light of truth on them. Unfortunately, intellectually destroying their arguments doesn't kill them off. They just keep coming back because they have developed an immunity to logic, reason, and common sense, as well as the shame and humiliation they should feel at being so wrong, so often...

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

43 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Fake news.  The human and economic costs of COVID are far worse than the presence of new people on an Internet message board who challenge your misguided political positions. 

1 hour ago, Kemp said:

If he hadn't already shredded the Emoluments clause in the Constitution, it wouldn't be a big topic of discussion. The family wants relief after having illegally received funding for their properties. Just another layer of slime.

I think you forgot that the Emoluments clause is "phony."  Trump said so himself. https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2019/10/21/donald-trump-mocks-constitution-emoluments-clause-phony/4055162002/

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

Fake news.  The human and economic costs of COVID are far worse than the presence of new people on an Internet message board who challenge your misguided political positions.

Yeah, well, that's like your opinion. Man.

• Haha (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

They are the internet version of cockroaches, scurrying around in the dark and infecting discussions with self-deluded, hypocritical diatribe - only to scatter when you shine the light of truth on them. Unfortunately, intellectually destroying their arguments doesn't kill them off. They just keep coming back because they have developed an immunity to logic, reason, and common sense, as well as the shame and humiliation they should feel at being so wrong, so often...

That is what politicians do to the public. They feed these people ***** and watch them expand like a fungus.

1 hour ago, Joe in Winslow said:

It was around well before Covid... Just look at PPP.

Trump blames the media for his stupidity. Democrats blame republicans for their stupidity. Republicans blame democrats for their stupidity. 

And the poor fools who blindly take sides are the ones eating the ***** that gets thrown around between everyone. It's very fun entertainment.

3 minutes ago, Hardhatharry said:

Trump blames the media for his stupidity. Democrats blame republicans for their stupidity. Republicans blame democrats for their stupidity. 

And the poor fools who blindly take sides are the ones eating the ***** that gets thrown around between everyone. It's very fun entertainment.

So who, in your view, isn't stupid?

2 minutes ago, Hardhatharry said:

Have you watched the daily briefings? The media bias is on full display every single day and it’s now become obvious that they’re being purposefully combative and antagonist...and they simply don’t care. These simply aren’t professional people. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Hardhatharry said:

Trump blames the media members for their own stupidity. Democrats blame republicans for their stupidity. Republicans blame democrats for their stupidity. 

FIFY

Trump is the only person who has seemed to do anything right in the last 30 years. He is not perfect, but he is lightyears better than anyone I’ve seen in the oval office in my lifetime.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

If data eventually supports the theory, then we may have finally found an instance in which smoking saves lives.  Amazing.  

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-8246939/French-researchers-plan-nicotine-patches-coronavirus-patients-frontline-workers.html

2 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Have you watched the daily briefings? The media bias is on full display every single day and it’s now become obvious that they’re being purposefully combative and antagonist...and they simply don’t care. These simply aren’t professional people. 

"You weren't called!"

• Awesome! (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

The last 30 seconds

• Thank you (+1) 3

13 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

I disagree.  They are professional activists with a byline

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, /dev/null said:

I disagree.  They are professional activists with a byline

Did anyone watch the little Asian gal reporter yesterday? Young lady, you’re talking to the President of the United States! Show some respect before you start rolling your eyes! Where are the media outlets finding these people? I’m guessing they’re the last players left on the bench! Or....how about the guy wearing the mask? If I’m the Secret Service, I’m telling that guy we can’t have him around the President!

17 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Yesterday a reporter asked trump if about a policy to test every single person in old folks homes.  Apparently there was a governor who wanted to put that in place and he asked if he was ok with that.

Of course had the reporter actually followed the guidelines, that’s literally step 1 in phase 1 of the cdc guidelines.  How is it that a Canuck knows that but a reporter whose job is to know this stuff doesn’t ?

• Thank you (+1) 3

1 minute ago, meazza said:

Yesterday a reporter asked trump if about a policy to test every single person in old folks homes.  Apparently there was a governor who wanted to put that in place and he asked if he was ok with that.

Of course had the reporter actually followed the guidelines, that’s literally step 1 in phase 1 of the cdc guidelines.  How is it that a Canuck knows that but a reporter whose job is to know this stuff doesn’t ?

As I mentioned in an earlier thread, when the astronauts come back from space we don’t put America on lockdown. We put the ASTRONAUTS on lockdown!  Seems to me you want to eliminate the outside people visiting nursing homes. Done!

• Like (+1) 1