The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

Shivering, hallucinating, beaten ‘like a piñata’: Chris Cuomo’s ‘haunted’ night with coronavirus

CNN anchor Chris Cuomo gives an update on his coronavirus diagnosis during Wednesday's live broadcast of “Cuomo Prime Time." CNN anchor Chris Cuomo gives an update on his coronavirus diagnosis during Wednesday's live broadcast of “Cuomo Prime Time." (Image via Twitter/Cuomo Prime Time/CNN)

By 
April 2, 2020 at 5:22 a.m. EDT

When the sun came up Wednesday morning, CNN anchor Chris Cuomo was already awake. But as Cuomo tells it, his early rising wasn’t by choice.

“I was up all night,” he said during Wednesday’s edition of “Cuomo Prime Time,” broadcast live from his basement where he is now self-quarantining after announcing one day earlier that he tested positive for the novel coronavirus.

The cause of Cuomo’s insomnia?

“This virus came at me, I’ve never seen anything like it,” Cuomo said, telling viewers that he was wracked with a fever of around 103 degrees “that wouldn’t quit."

“It was like somebody was beating me like a piñata,” he continued. “I was shivering so much … I chipped my tooth.”

Then, there were the fever-induced hallucinations.

“My dad was talking to me,” a wide-eyed Cuomo said, referring to his late father, former New York governor and revered Democratic Party figure Mario Cuomo, who died in January 2015. “I was seeing people from college, people I haven’t seen in forever. It was freaky what I lived through last night, and it may happen again tonight.”

• Haha (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Dante said:

Nothing more than this years flu season with a psy op attached. 

This site has real reporting by actual citizens. Not the hyperbolic domestic terrorism that the MSM is shitting out. 

https://www.filmyourhospital.com/

1000+ people died yesterday from the "psy op" that you believe in and Buffalo Gal agrees with, and some other poster dedicated a thread to because he doesn't see enough Twitter photos of distraught US hospitals.

167 people die from the flu in NYC on average in a month

About 400 died from Covid-19 in NYC yesterday

Psy op.  

What is wrong with you?

Edited by shoshin
  • Like (+1) 2

12 hours ago, GG said:

What did Cuomo say in his press conference today?  Did he implore everyone to get tested or stay the ***** at home?

Because (1) they lack tests, and (2) the hospitals are overrun. 

Your credentials on this are probably better than Dr. Fauci and every other pandemic expert. How many years have you been with the CDC studying pandemics? Or do you compare to Bill Gates who seems like a bright guy and has been working on helping solve and treat disease outbreaks for 20 years? 

We need tests and lots of them. We need them as soon as possible within the limits of what can be done given the wasted month of planning that has been well documented, and we need them even more in a month if we have any hope of getting out of this shut down. 

We need dedicated testing sites not at hospitals, quick TATs, and tracking of contacts so we can turn a depression-like economic situation into a mere massive recession. 

What we don't need is:

(1) everyone hoping they self diagnose properly

(2) taking meds they may not need if some of the promising early data on anti-malarial turns out to be true (and conversely, taking those meds if they have it)

(3) people quarantining themselves without reason

(4) people relying on their faulty memories or whatever communications they may have to warn others if they test positive

Edited by shoshin
  • Like (+1) 1

Interesting study on trade-off being debated by some folk ( @Magox) here: https://phys.org/news/2020-04-stronger-pandemic-response-yields-economic.html

The study, using data from the flu pandemic that swept the U.S. in 1918-1919, finds cities that acted more emphatically to limit social and civic interactions had more economic growth following the period of restrictions.

MILAN—In the town of Coccaglio, an hour’s drive east of here, the local nursing home lost over a third of its residents in March. None of the 24 people who died there were tested for the new coronavirus. Nor were the 38 people who died in another nursing home in the nearby town of Lodi.

These aren’t isolated incidents. Italy’s official death toll from the virus stands at 13,155, the most of any country in the world. But that number tells only part of the story because many people who die from the virus don’t make it to the hospital and are never tested.

In the areas worst hit by the pandemic, Italy is undercounting thousands of deaths caused by the virus, a Wall Street Journal analysis shows, indicating that the pandemic’s human toll may end up being much greater, and infections far more widespread, than official data indicate.

5 minutes ago, TPS said:

Interesting study on trade-off being debated by some folk ( @Magox) here: https://phys.org/news/2020-04-stronger-pandemic-response-yields-economic.html

Preserving human capital means the economy can take off again. If key workers are sick or dead the economy will suffer 

3 minutes ago, shoshin said:

We don't need testing because data doesn't matter or something something. 

It's never been more clear how ignorance will kill people 

8 minutes ago, TPS said:

Our economy is so different today. I'm not sure if those lessons are applicable city to city, but I do agree that a hard shutdown, clearing this crap out, then being ready to test/track is the way to get back up in 3-5 years and not 10-15. 

2 minutes ago, shoshin said:

Our economy is so different today. I'm not sure if those lessons are applicable city to city, but I do agree that a hard shutdown, clearing this crap out, then being ready to test/track is the way to get back up in 3-5 years and not 10-15. 

The SBA loan/grant portion of the $2+ trillion bill is extremely important as it will forgive the loan if it's used to retain workers, pay rent and or utilities.  Need to keep workers attached to their employers for these 2+ months of quarantine.

• Like (+1) 1

Unreal https://www.cbsnews.com/news/coronavirus-louisiana-life-tabernacle-church-packed-services-again-charges-against-pastor-tony-spell/

Central, Louisiana — Buses and cars filled a Louisiana church parking lot for another service Tuesday evening as worshippers flocked to hear a Louisiana pastor who is facing misdemeanor charges for holding services despite a ban on gatherings amid the coronavirus pandemic.

A few protesters turned out, too, including a man shouting through a bullhorn against those gathering at the Life Tabernacle Church in the city of Central, where pastor Tony Spell has been holding services. Another demonstrator held up a sign reading: "God don't like stupid."

CBS Baton Rouge affiliate WAFB-TV reported the service was jammed with hundreds of parishioners. The station said there were also dozens of cars on hand to see if anyone stopped Spell from holding the service.

Flanked by some of his congregation, including children and older people, Spell emerged from the church later Tuesday night and said he is going to keep his church doors open. He said he doesn't consider doing that any different than keeping the doors of Walmart open. Spell also compared going to church to going to the hospital, but for spiritual healing.

"We are needy people. Our souls are lost," he said. "We need help, and the church is the salvation center of the soul, the sanctuary where we come together and meet."

Spell told CBS News that 1,265 people went to his church on Sunday, and he defended their assembly. "We have a constitutional right to congregate," Spell said in an email on Monday. "We will continue."

Then there's this, which my detractors here won't like....https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2020/04/inside-trumps-decision-to-back-off-of-his-easter-coronavirus-miracle

Trump’s latest tonal and tactical shift (and almost certainly not the last) was driven by several factors, both personal and political. Trump learned that his close friend, 78-year-old New York real estate mogul Stan Chera, had contracted COVID-19 and fallen into a coma at NewYork-Presbyterian. “Boy, did that hit home. Stan is like one of his best friends,” said prominent New York Trump donor Bill White. Trump also grew concerned as the virus spread to Trump country. “The polling sucked. The campaign panicked about the numbers in red states. They don’t expect to win states that are getting blown to pieces with coronavirus,” a former West Wing official told me. From the beginning of the crisis, Trump had struggled to see it as anything other than a political problem, subject to his usual arsenal of tweets and attacks and bombast. But he ultimately realized that as bad as the stock market was, getting coronavirus wrong would end his presidency. “The campaign doesn’t matter anymore,” he recently told a friend, “what I do now will determine if I get reelected.”

It took him awhile to figure out leading on this would overcome the economy tanking...

8 minutes ago, TPS said:

The SBA loan/grant portion of the $2+ trillion bill is extremely important as it will forgive the loan if it's used to retain workers, pay rent and or utilities.  Need to keep workers attached to their employers for these 2+ months of quarantine.

I really hope I can do this for my employees. And I'm fine taking it as a loan that I pay back, but right now cash flow is $0.

I can personally weather the storm for some time but my business cannot if I have to lay people off. And if I kill my business off, it can't lay golden eggs for my employees. My story is one shared by millions of small businesses.