Sign in to follow this  
McBean

Who’s the one FA you want in 2020?

On 1/12/2020 at 7:37 PM, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

So you created a new thread to disguise another “I’m not sold on Josh Allen.”  

Yeah, kind of looks that way. 

I mean, I'm not sold on JA myself, but to me the thing to do is throw all our horses at upgrading the offense so that he can be given his best shot to succeed.  A TE who drops 1 of 5 throws that go his way and whiffs big time on blocks, an OL that gets terminally confused by diamond front D with guys stunting and dropping back, leaving the TE to block star pass rushing LB, and throwing to WR who disappear with physical coverage are not cuttin' it. 

Josh Allen isn't showing enough productivity in the passing game, but the Lamar Jackson performance against the Titans demonstrates pretty clearly that you can take a QB capable of 66% completion and turn him into a 50% completion QB if you make him uncomfortable in the pocket and take away his best  targets.

On 1/12/2020 at 7:34 PM, Franchiseneedsme said:

Derrick Henry. If he does become  available I think the Bill's should pay what it takes to get him here. I have heard and said, "you shouldn't pay big $$ for RB's"... but this guy would make us SB contenders without really doing much else IMO.add another solid draft and we could be the 1 seed ne t year

If I'm Tennessee, I do whatever it takes to keep that guy.  But in terms of skills, agree 100%.

It's a puzzlement to me why we don't use Motor more, but I have to believe there's a reason besides "Daboll is inexplicably dumb"

On 1/12/2020 at 7:52 PM, aristocrat said:

Hunter Henry or Austin hooper 

I would love to see us upgrade TE.

What can you tell me about Hunter Henry's injury history?

If we are just playing make believe, the playoff version of Derrick Henry, transforms the team.  Like Jerome Bettis  or John Riggins from the past, his window to play at that level is likely short, but it would be a huge change for the Bills. 

On 1/14/2020 at 7:21 AM, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

I fear the OL is at the "good enough" point and they will let it go, falling short of dominant.

Then we'll fail to improve our offense.  If that's what Beane thinks, he's learned nothing from 2018 and 2019, despite his charmingly honest admission that "he didn't do enough" in 2018.

I don't know why the point escapes so many, but for whatever reason, we are not running a quick-hit passing game.  Beasley is a great addition over the middle, but his thing is he'll always get open eventually.  He's not Mr. Always Open Immediately, his routes take time.

When Allen has time, as he had vs Tennessee when we played them, Miami(26), Dallas(11), Denver (10), Washington(28) - he can be accurate and sufficiently productive.  When he's under duress, as he was vs NE (2), Cleveland (6) , Eagles, Baltimore (7), Pittsburgh (3), Houston (29, but without Watt half the season) - he's not. 

Plus, while both Motor and Allen have been productive to give us a top-10 rush game, we have been poor at running up the middle it seems to me.  The message seems clear to me - if we want our offense to take a step, our OL needs to take a step.

Now maybe the OL will upgrade itself with more time together, but I'm skeptical.  I think we need at least one more piece.

It seems so simple, but all you need is a dominant line and a good back and you can control football games. It should be top priority. I don't think Dawkins, Feliciano, or Ford (as a tackle) can be starting pieces on a dominant line.

I'm more worried about Spain myself.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I'm more worried about Spain myself.

So, between you and Giuseppe the only fella we're not worried about is Morse, the guy with the concussion issues?

Nice. I agree the line needs to be upgraded, btw. I hope they make a run at Conklin and kick Ford inside to guard.

22 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I would love to see us upgrade TE.

What can you tell me about Hunter Henry's injury history?

certainly some concerns there but the guy just scores tds and i doubt he leaves la anyways

8 hours ago, Dr. Who said:

So, between you and Giuseppe the only fella we're not worried about is Morse, the guy with the concussion issues?

Nice. I agree the line needs to be upgraded, btw. I hope they make a run at Conklin and kick Ford inside to guard.

Well, I think you should do "either or, not Both" between us LOL

FWIW, article from D&C discussing the results of last year's FA.

Interesting to me because it recaps a bunch of names that had just slipped from my radar

https://www.democratandchronicle.com/story/sports/football/nfl/bills/2020/01/15/brandon-beane-buffalo-bills-general-manager-free-agency-2019-mitch-morse-cole-beasley-tyler-kroft/4457881002/

• Like (+1) 1

I fear the OL is at the "good enough" point and they will let it go, falling short of dominant. It seems so simple, but all you need is a dominant line and a good back and you can control football games. It should be top priority. I don't think Dawkins, Feliciano, or Ford (as a tackle) can be starting pieces on a dominant line.

What O-Line free agent additions would make us dominant?

Our weak spot on the O-Line was easily Cody Ford.  Who was a rookie.  Now, I would be OK with sliding him inside and going after another Right Tackle to start.  But there aren't really any RTs available that would make us a dominant unit.  The best is probably Bryan Bulaga, who is the NFL's definition of average.  Not exactly a guy that would give us a killer unit.

If you slide Ford inside, then you probably want to give him a chance to develop there.  Yes, there are some pretty good interior linemen available like Brandon Scherff and Joe Thuney.  But they will probably demand Top 3-5 money at the position.   Is it really great use of cap dollars to invest in one of those guys, when you have a 2nd Round Pick developing and a guy who played pretty good (Jon Feliciano) already on a bargain contract?  I just can't see Beane make another move here, especially after landing Mitch Morse last season.

The best LT available is probably Anthony Castonzo (who very likely won't be hitting free agency anyway).  He is generally considered a pretty good player, but not a great one.  Without considering his age (31) and contract, I would only consider him a marginal upgrade over Dion Dawkins.  I think Dawkins improved quite a bit this year, and a smart team lets him play out his contract year before looking for a replacement.  

Also.... two playoff wins by the Tennessee Titans does not suddenly resurrect 20th century football.  Just like the Rams-Chiefs game from last year didn't suddenly make defense irrelevant (like so many were claiming).  The Bills need more than a dominant line and running back to take the next step.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

On 1/12/2020 at 7:42 PM, McBean said:

haven’t bashed the kid at all, just stated I’m not sold. Why is that so bad?

I'm not sold either. And starting to suspect most of the fanbase isn't either after seeing the game day threads full of people who just disappear after the game.

Doesn't mean I'm not willing to ride with him.. he just hasn't shown me enough that I've seen others in his class have. Having potential to pan out doesn't mean he has, in fact, already planned out

Edited by BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P
  • Like (+1) 1

I'd love to see us go after Daryl Williams out of Carolina, the knee should be healthy now and he could put Ford inside and create a really solid right side. I'd also like us to take a run at Leonard Williams, I doubt the Giants let him walk, but he can play the LE in a 4-3 and play rush DT making Phillips expendable. But Williams would be near the top of my list at RT.

Side note, if David Johnson becomes available I'd love to add him to pair with Singletary, plus he's a great back in the passing game and as a number two may help his longevity

Edited by Monty98
added

On 1/13/2020 at 9:28 AM, Artem Lipatov said:

I want TE Hooper from Atlanta. He was on my fantasy roster and he put up huge numebers. He was #1 among all TE s in fantasy points before minor injury. I won my fantasy league BTW

Correcto!

The Bills have simply avoided drafting that huge beast TE with hands prototype this entire millennium . The likes of Kelce or Kittle that you’ll see on Sunday! The Type who catches for 7 & bulls for 9 more or has a huge wingspan and an extra 18 inches of height coming down in the corner of the End Zone with an Allen Jump Ball.

Realistically....

Offense- RB Jordan Howard 

Defense- Edge Kyler Fackrell 

• Like (+1) 1

If we get Derrick Henry we get the Lombardi.  If Tennessee doesn't franchise him, then we should outbid everybody else to sign him.   With this defense, with Allen coming into his own, and with Derrick Henry in the backfield, our Super Bowl record jumps to a sparkling 1-4.

This idea is not as far-fetched as it might seem.  Henry is 26, the age at which teams begin to be leery of overpaying running backs.  It might be that Henry could be signed for less than Sammy Watkins money ($16m per).  Let that sink in: less than Sammy freakin' Watkins.

11 minutes ago, Blue on Blue said:

If we get Derrick Henry we get the Lombardi.  If Tennessee doesn't franchise him, then we should outbid everybody else to sign him.   With this defense, with Allen coming into his own, and with Derrick Henry in the backfield, our Super Bowl record jumps to a sparkling 1-4.

This idea is not as far-fetched as it might seem.  Henry is 26, the age at which teams begin to be leery of overpaying running backs.  It might be that Henry could be signed for less than Sammy Watkins money ($16m per).  Let that sink in: less than Sammy freakin' Watkins.

It's going to be interesting what the Titans do.  The pounding he's taken since college because of his running style and workload historically leads to a shorter shelf life in the NFL.  Earl Campbell comes to mind.  They may very well sign him long term.  If they don't, I could see them franchising him and then pulling a Khalil Mack type trade to a willing participant.  I don't think the Bills would be willing to give up that many assets and money to a running back even with the talent level of Henry.

On 1/15/2020 at 7:10 AM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Yeah, kind of looks that way. 

I mean, I'm not sold on JA myself, but to me the thing to do is throw all our horses at upgrading the offense so that he can be given his best shot to succeed.  A TE who drops 1 of 5 throws that go his way and whiffs big time on blocks, an OL that gets terminally confused by diamond front D with guys stunting and dropping back, leaving the TE to block star pass rushing LB, and throwing to WR who disappear with physical coverage are not cuttin' it. 

Josh Allen isn't showing enough productivity in the passing game, but the Lamar Jackson performance against the Titans demonstrates pretty clearly that you can take a QB capable of 66% completion and turn him into a 50% completion QB if you make him uncomfortable in the pocket and take away his best  targets.

If I'm Tennessee, I do whatever it takes to keep that guy.  But in terms of skills, agree 100%.

It's a puzzlement to me why we don't use Motor more, but I have to believe there's a reason besides "Daboll is inexplicably dumb"

I agree that Josh will need a full compliment of true weapons to full determine his franchise "viability". Not using Singletary more in the first half of the season was I think a combination of blind loyalty to veteran Gore, protecting a rookie and some dumbness sprinkled in. Devin will be RB1 this season with Gore and probably Yeldon gone. Get him a good RB2 like Najee Harris. This organization has to finish this offense by filling the remaining offensive holes. Only then will we know who Josh is?

Dante Fowler.

Only saw him play twice this year, the guy is so disruptive, reminds me of Von Miller.

Rams have cap issues, he's walkin this year, get him to the B-Lo !