2020 Draft Position - 22nd Pick

wppete

This has to be the year we draft offense in the 1st round. Ideally a big WR with good hands. In our draft spot Tee Higgins or Justin Jefferson would be my pick. But DE is another big need so I wouldn't be upset if they drafted one first. If we wait until day 2 for a WR, I'd take Davonta Smith out of Alabama. Reminds me of Robert Woods and would be a good complement to John Brown. I can't imagine us taking anything other than a WR or DE with our 1st pick.

• Like (+1) 3

4 hours ago, wppete said:

UPDATE: Philly lost and we end up with #22nd pick in the 2020 Draft.

If Philadelphia beats Seattle today we will end up with the 21st pick in this years draft. If Philadelphia loses we end up with the 22nd pick. I think a legit WR can be had at with 21 or 22. The two guys that could be there for us would be:

Laviska Shenault, WR - Colorado

6’2, 225 - 4.4 40 yard

Tee Higgins, WR Clemson

6’4, 215

What you guys think? Anyone else you think that would be a good choice at the spot?

Tee Higgins need more muscle and Shenault reminds me of Sammy Watkins. Injuries and all.

2 hours ago, SCBills said:

How people want to continually invest in our Defense, I’ll never understand...

Although, they did give up the second highest point total on WC Weekend.  (This is sarcasm and I might break my tv if they go defense Rd 1)

Going for a DE or OLB in the first round is not a bad idea.

Lorezo Alexander is gone, Jerry Hughes is 31, Trent Murphy is not dependable, and there is no guarantee that we re-sign Shaq Lawson.

The WR class is deep this year, and we can get one in the 2nd round.

If Yetur Gross-Matos is there when we pick, could you really pass on him?

• Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, SCBills said:

How people want to continually invest in our Defense, I’ll never understand...

Although, they did give up the second highest point total on WC Weekend.  (This is sarcasm and I might break my tv if they go defense Rd 1)

They need a WR#1 for sure. I would prefer a veteran like AJ Green.  But if you don't think they need to improve the pass rush you then you didn't watch any of the games this weekend. 

2 hours ago, jrober38 said:

The defense is by far the primary reason we made the playoffs.

If we went from #2 in scoring, to 16th, we probably go 6-10 this year given how awful our offense is.

The defense needs to be elite to carry our inept offense. 

Sorry sir but you are looking at this through the long end of the lense

The D is STILL going to be good next year because we have invested so many resources into it and the HC is so defensive orientated.

The reason why we lost that wild card game is the same reason we won lost 6 other games last season before it.....we dont put enough points on the board when the D finds its few opportunities to screw up.

It is time to invest in this offense in a big way ESPECIALLY because this is such a good WR draft....give me Laviska Shenault,

• Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

Going for a DE or OLB in the first round is not a bad idea.

Lorezo Alexander is gone, Jerry Hughes is 31, Trent Murphy is not dependable, and there is no guarantee that we re-sign Shaq Lawson.

The WR class is deep this year, and we can get one in the 2nd round.

If Yetur Gross-Matos is there when we pick, could you really pass on him?

Depends on how free agency and the draft falls, but it would be hard to pass Yetur if we still have edge as a need.

Out of curiosity since I haven't looked at the draft much yet - who are the WRs in RD2 we should be targeting if we don't grab one in RD1?

28 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

Depends on how free agency and the draft falls, but it would be hard to pass Yetur if we still have edge as a need.

Out of curiosity since I haven't looked at the draft much yet - who are the WRs in RD2 we should be targeting if we don't grab one in RD1?

My guesses would be....

Collin Johnson, Texas

Brandon Aiyuk, Arizona State

Michael Pittman, USC

Chase Claypool, Notre Dame

A sleeper pick that I am looking at for day 3 is, James Proche from Southern Methodist. From what I have read and seen, he's a reliable receiver with great hands and good speed. He's 6'0" and might be more of a slot guy, but I think he could be a steal. He'll be at the East-West Shrine game, so keep an eye out.

9 hours ago, Bandito said:

Right now Higgins isn’t a top 5 WR in the draft 

???

Seriously?  Look around. He’s projected by most as the #4 or at worst #5 receiver after Jeudy/Lamb/Ruggs III, and in a close battle with Shenault for the #4 spot. I think there’s a drop after Jeudy/Lamb, and then another drop after       Ruggs III/Higgins/Shenault.

10 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Sorry sir but you are looking at this through the long end of the lense

The D is STILL going to be good next year because we have invested so many resources into it and the HC is so defensive orientated.

The reason why we lost that wild card game is the same reason we won lost 6 other games last season before it.....we dont put enough points on the board when the D finds its few opportunities to screw up.

It is time to invest in this offense in a big way ESPECIALLY because this is such a good WR draft....give me Laviska Shenault,

I agree the D will be good, but to compensate for this offense and win more games than we lose they need to be great. 

They need to be a top 5 scoring D for us to continue contending for the playoffs. 

This is an amazing draft class for receivers. There will be incredible value available in the 3rd and 4th rounds. 

2 hours ago, jrober38 said:

I agree the D will be good, but to compensate for this offense and win more games than we lose they need to be great. 

They need to be a top 5 scoring D for us to continue contending for the playoffs. 

This is an amazing draft class for receivers. There will be incredible value available in the 3rd and 4th rounds. 

So.....what usually happens here is we get to those 3rd and 4th rounds and there ends up being some other "better player on the board"

We need to STOP DOING THAT......address the need with a good player...dont trade up.....but pick where the draft is strong at  our pick in a position of need

18 hours ago, wppete said:

This is what I found from SI.

"He ran a 4.75 40-yard dash as a high school recruit and while he's likely gotten faster since then, he'll probably be a 4.6-guy when the combine and pro day circuit arrives. "Higgins' best asset as a receiver is his exceptional catch radius and leaping ability.“

https://www.si.com/college/clemson/football/tee-higgins-2020-nfl-draft-scouting-report-WVO6hiVP-0K-kAOlsN4TYA

If he's a 4.6 guy, he'll likely be there in round 2. College guys often look faster than they actually are because the competition is worse. 4.6 at the WR position gets exposed in the NFL - i.e., Mike Williams, the USC receiver. A guy like Alshon Jeffrey ran a 4.48, and he was a second rounder. Higgins at 4.6 is probably  comparable to a poor man's Jeffery, but that's not say he can't be an impactful player. By way of comparison, another big Clemson receiver - Mike Williams - ran a 4.49 and was an early first rounder. 

I like Jeudy, Ruggs, Lamb, Higgins and Jefferson ... Laviska and Reagor are decent options also.

BUT...

I think if there is an early run on WR's they should draft BPA, which could end up being the number 1 or 2 RB in the draft instead of like the 6th or 7th best WR. 
Gore looked burnt at the end of the season, tbh.

I mean there's like 7 WR's expected to go in the first round, they can't all be THE GUY,  ya know?

This year the WR and RB positions are really deep so it will be interesting to see what we do in rounds 1, 2 and 3. 

In a perfect world, we snag 2 of those WR's somehow and grab AJ Dillon or Cam Akers in the 3rd. Fix our OL and pass rush in FA.

Also, hey everybody I'm new here! Thanks for keeping the football fire burning for me boys. I hope to engage and contribute to many interesting conversations!

Much love.

- The Ripster

Edited by The_Ripster

On 1/6/2020 at 10:23 AM, jrober38 said:

So you’re saying the offense can’t improve by adding elite receivers?  Man, you just never stop looking foolish do you?

Just now, jrober38 said:

That's not even remotely close to what I said. 

Yep. Pretty much. Stop acting as if we can’t read through your drivel. 

Allen will improve with better protection and weapons. This crusade to bash him and only him is ridiculous. Yes, he has areas to improve, but he’s far from the only reason that game went south on Saturday.

2 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

Yep. Pretty much. Stop acting as if we can’t read through your drivel. 

Allen will improve with better protection and weapons. This crusade to bash him and only him is ridiculous. Yes, he has areas to improve, but he’s far from the only reason that game went south on Saturday.

Your reading comprehension skills are awful. 

1 minute ago, jrober38 said:

Your reading comprehension skills are awful. 

I’m not going rounds with you little man. We all know you hate Allen and have an agenda. Every time he plays poorly you come on here. But you disappear when he plays well. It’s so clear.