Playing the starters for two series

ILBillsfan

5 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Playing the whole game actually would have made sense.  I.E., the coach feels injury is not a concern and wants the player to play to stay hot into the playoffs.

What makes no sense is playing for 2 possessions or whatever Allen did.  That suggests McDermott is concerned about injury, but somehow thought a couple of possessions would benefit Allen in some way.

That's idiotic.

As a HC in this position, you are either concerned about injury or you are not.

If you are, the player shouldn't play at all.

Somebody that understands the playing only two series it was head scratching at best

4 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Levi is hardly a unquestioned starter. He has been losing snaps to Johnson for weeks and he Is our weakest link out of the 11

Johnson is faster and more physical and has been a better tackler all year

I hope Levi is good but he needs to be our #4 next year. He just isn't physical enough to be a starter outside

next year sure, but he still was the starter,probably not now.

2 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

and who is playing for him now?? Thats what i thought.

Yeah, down to the last man, which means if you have another injury you are in an emergency situation.

5 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

No, you then put wallace, ididnt say inactive i said not start.

So then if not Wallace, which starters would you rather have play? Because with only a 46 man active roster with a couple spots devoted to special teamers, and needing to rotate guys in an out to stay fresh, you have to play some starters.

Wallace is a prime guy to play in that situation because he's young, an undrafted free agent (no money contract) and ISN'T the best player at his position on the team and has been splitting time with Johnson anyway.

Edited by MJS

2 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Sure he started the games but Johnson has been logging alot of snaps for weeks

still not the starter, a few more reps wasnt going to make Wallace better, not worth the risk. Allen shouldn't have started either especially with the vanilla game plan and taking his number one targets out, he wasnt going to gain chemistry with backups in 2 series. 

Look i love McDermott and think he is a great coach and the right coach for us, but hes not perfect and he made a mistake here, he will learn from this like he always does.

2 hours ago, BillnutinHouston said:

Levi Wallace says hey.

They didn’t have enough CBs to sit Wallace. He was going to have to play. Same with some of their rotation on the DL and OL.

1 hour ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Yes, i sit everyone possible, his backup can play, now what if Wallace cant play next week?

This is no different than the fourth preseason game just trying to get to the season except now its the post season, which is more important. Obviously you cant sit everyone due to roster numbers but the important ones are on the bench.

They have a 90 man roster in the pre-season. They have a 46 man roster in the regular season. They can not sit all the starters/heavy contributors. They sat as many as they could.

Edited by MDH
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

Again Wallace was never going to sit.  You guys are unrealistic and delusional.  The Ravens are playing Hurst right now  Why?  Numbers. 

This thread isn't even about Wallace.  Its about playing the starters that played two series.

Edited by Scott7975
  • Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

still not the starter, a few more reps wasnt going to make Wallace better, not worth the risk. Allen shouldn't have started either especially with the vanilla game plan and taking his number one targets out, he wasnt going to gain chemistry with backups in 2 series. 

Look i love McDermott and think he is a great coach and the right coach for us, but hes not perfect and he made a mistake here, he will learn from this like he always does.

you could pitch count Wallace a little but we only carry 5 cbs on the 53. With 1 already sitting 100% even on limited status Levi would see a lot of snaps

I assume you want no play from far more guys than reasonably possible if Wallace is on that side of the line. I’d encourage you to jot down who you think should’ve been sitting vs playing though. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

He's far from perfect. He should've played Allen atleast a half or sat him, 2 drives is stupid

6 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Again Wallace was never going to sit.  You guys are unrealistic and delusional.  The Ravens are playing Hurst right now  Why?  Numbers. 

This thread isn't even about Wallace.  Its about playing the starters that played two series.

Josh Allen being suspect number one....why would you do that

Just now, ILBillsfan said:

Josh Allen being suspect number one....why would you do that

I can understand this argument at least.  I understand the fear of playing Allen for a couple series.  My answer is the coaching staff felt he need work and to keep a routine.  Whether that is right or wrong....  probably should have just sat but I don't have a problem with it.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Scott7975 said:

I can understand this argument at least.  I understand the fear of playing Allen for a couple series.  My answer is the coaching staff felt he need work and to keep a routine.  Whether that is right or wrong....  probably should have just sat but I don't have a problem with it.

it was a no win situation but the two series was very questionable.  I would of had no problem with a half at min with some working with Williams for more game feel.  I was a little annoyed though with two series of vanilla football what was the point.

Just now, NoSaint said:

what’s the substantial difference in a half vs 2 drives in your opinion?

Well I said atleast a half , I wouldn't even be opposed to more

Allen is still so young , every rep for him is and can be crucial. I would've let him throw it 20+ times in the half atleast

Play fearless like McDermott said.. if you weren't going to give him a proper time to actually get into a rhythm then you should've just kept him on the bench and been in playoff mode

Again just my opinion but  I think you either let him get real experience or you sit him

17 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Well I said atleast a half , I wouldn't even be opposed to more

Allen is still so young , every rep for him is and can be crucial. I would've let him throw it 20+ times in the half atleast

Play fearless like McDermott said.. if you weren't going to give him a proper time to actually get into a rhythm then you should've just kept him on the bench and been in playoff mode

Again just my opinion but  I think you either let him get real experience or you sit him

just seemed you were coming in pretty hot on that one. In this case I think his reps had almost nothing to do with making reads or finding rhythm (back ups anyway) and everything to do with keeping the tempo of if being a work week and Sunday being a day you stretch, suit up, and hit the field. 

Everyone is different but a young guy can benefit sometimes. Heck, they say while Drew Brees was injured he still had some time each game day where he did a practice that was a simulated game day.

ultimately, it’s hard to judge what a guy needs without being there with him day in and day out 

3 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

Playing the whole game actually would have made sense.  I.E., the coach feels injury is not a concern and wants the player to play to stay hot into the playoffs.

What makes no sense is playing for 2 possessions or whatever Allen did.  That suggests McDermott is concerned about injury, but somehow thought a couple of possessions would benefit Allen in some way.

That's idiotic.

As a HC in this position, you are either concerned about injury or you are not.

If you are, the player shouldn't play at all.

Why is it all or nothing? Why can't you be concerned about injury AND concerned about sitting players for an entire week?

It's a line you have to walk as a coach.

6 hours ago, ILBillsfan said:

Why?????  What do you gain.....I seen nothing positive at all fro those two series head scratching at best

Versus resting them and game planing two weeks for the Texans and treating it like the second by

Just a wild guess but I think the coaching staff may have a little bit better for the feel of the teams pulse than you do.

1 minute ago, Binghamton Beast said:

Just a wild guess but I think the coaching staff may have a little bit better for the feel of the teams pulse than you do.

1 minute ago, BuffaloBill963 said:

There are probably many things you don’t seen 

your right risking Josh Allen for those two series was well worth whatever golden plans they had

4 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Yes, i sit everyone possible, his backup can play, now what if Wallace cant play next week?

This is no different than the fourth preseason game just trying to get to the season except now its the post season, which is more important. Obviously you cant sit everyone due to roster numbers but the important ones are on the bench.

This is a terrible take - it is hugely different than game 4 of the preseason.  Game 4 of the preseason- you still have 90 players on the roster - you have more than enough players to sit both your starters and back-ups.  

This game you had your regular roster.  You do not have enough players to sit more than a small handful of starters.  They do not have enough players to sit both Tre and Wallace.  

Now why have JA play a series or two - no idea, but Wallace was playing no matter what - with Tre sitting they only had 3 CBs left at that point and ended up needing McKenzie to play CB for a series.  

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Johnnycage46 said:

Probably to keep them in a routine....prep all week...practice...get ready for the game....etc.

They looked terrible as an offensive unit. If they looked ready sharp or at least the depth of the squad looked like they knew what they were doing, that would have been great. 

Also, to echo what others have asked all year, Why the eff isn’t Yeldon used more on game day?

Edited by Mango

8 hours ago, ILBillsfan said:

Why?????  What do you gain.....I seen nothing positive at all fro those two series head scratching at best

Versus resting them and game planing two weeks for the Texans and treating it like the second by

it was to keep them acclimated to the process of preparing to play.

no problem 

2 minutes ago, Mango said:

They looked terrible as an offensive unit. If they looked ready sharp or at least the depth of the squad looked like they knew what they were doing, that would have been great. 

Also, to echo what others have asked all year, Why the eff isn’t Yeldon used more on game day?

The outcome doesn’t change the reasons upon which the decision was made. They looked bad. They didn’t really run any serious plays, but sure, they didn’t look good. But they kept their routine, and that’s likely what McDermott wanted.

2 minutes ago, ILBillsfan said:

still not a great argument for playing two series and two three and outs we will just agree to disagree

Sure it is.

Preparing to start the game throughout the week means more than playing two series for a young QB.

Preparation.

It matters.

Edited by Binghamton Beast