The expectations of too many fans are out of whack

Max Fischer

9 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

So what's their reason in the 1st and 2nd Q?

TOP was something like Pats 21:16 Buffalo 8:43 in the 1st half

Slightly more equitable 17:36 to 12:25 in the 2nd half

If you don't want to get gassed, don't give up a 7:26 and a 8:58 minute drive to the opponent in the 1st half

SEVERAL third downs on those drives....most of them converted

1 minute ago, pop gun said:

No more moral victories, they have proven to be able to hang and win with the better teams. Time to win games!

I still believe in moral victories... but not against the Patriots! No doubt losing to these bastards raises our frustration levels.  

1 minute ago, pop gun said:

No more moral victories, they have proven to be able to hang and win with the better teams. Time to win games!

I’ve said nothing about moral victories. The Bills have won enough games to make the playoffs and have done well enough in recent defeats to reasonable expect at least one playoff win. 

There is no way of knowing anything for sure. My problem was the two major changes for this team that made them inarguably better in the last 5-6 games they abandoned. They did not hurry up, or spread the defense like they did when the offense was rolling more. They did not crowd the box and Blitz like clearly helped in the last several games of getting more pressure and sacks. They went back to their less aggressive team strategy for this game, and it cost them imo. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Phil The Thrill said:

So this game is more about you, than the players?  

My enjoyment (or lack thereof) of a game

is always directly tied to my emotions.

I guess you’re able to step outside yourself and enjoy the game on a metaphysical level.

Congratulations.

3 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

There is no way of knowing anything for sure. My problem was the two major changes for this team that made them inarguably better in the last 5-6 games they abandoned. They did not hurry up, or spread the defense like they did when the offense was rolling more. They did not crowd the box and Blitz like clearly helped in the last several games of getting more pressure and sacks. They went back to their less aggressive team strategy for this game, and it cost them imo. 

Or the strategy gave them a better chance of winning. We’ll never know. 

Or or perhaps we could if they meet in the playoffs. 

Edited by Max Fischer

Bills are in great shape for the next couple of years. 90 mil in cap space. More than enough to keep the defense together add a rt and some receiver depth. Allen is still progressing. No reason to think they won't be favorites next year for the face.  NE is heading for a pretty decent sized rebuildb in the next couple of years. No second and only about 22 mil in cap space

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, MDH said:

My enjoyment (or lack thereof) of a game

is always directly tied to my emotions.

I guess you’re able to step outside yourself and enjoy the game on a metaphysical level.

Congratulations.

Nope I get that you wanted a win and are disappointing.  But that’s the effect that losing this game has on some fans.

I don’t think it has the same effect on players.  A loss wasn’t going to haunt them and a win wasn’t going to propel the team to a Super Bowl.

They are a confident bunch on the rise and 1 loss isn’t going to change that 

5 minutes ago, Phil The Thrill said:

Nope I get that you wanted a win and are disappointing.  But that’s the effect that losing this game has on some fans.

I don’t think it has the same effect on players.  A loss wasn’t going to haunt them and a win wasn’t going to propel the team to a Super Bowl.

They are a confident bunch on the rise and 1 loss isn’t going to change that 

That is very true. I think they had a better chance to win today with a different strategy but it surely is not a given. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, london_bills said:

It's just hard to take when they still look better than we do in all departments. 

I know Allen made some plays but I tell you what concerns me -

With all the throws that are missed, I'm starting to think you put brees, mahomes, Rogers, brady (hate to say it) on this team.. We are then Better than the patriots. 

This is what makes me anxious, that we are close. 

All the talk of the defence,. we were still holding them to some field goals. 

My issue with this Line of thinking is that’s it’s not really realistic because this is the team we have decided to build.

Any team can say that a top ten  qb on their roster may take them to the next level especially ours. But why?  because our defense is top of the league. Maybe if the d we saw in Pittsburgh showed up today.  

But again, I don’t look at what if..we can only control our future with the players we have right now.

We are rolling with Josh who has had a big part of our record being what it is. I’m fine with that. we have to remember this is only year two. I think many including myself are jumping the gun on expectations. We have had a great season regardless. But the closer you get to the dance, the more we expect from our team.

I expected a much better performance from the entire team today. We got beat in the trenches and killed In time of possession. We had them backed up at the one yard line. No way should we be allowing them To gain much more than a first down. We would probably agree on this with our penetrating d line, and shutdown corner? 

ill say it again. I was more disappointed that we didn’t match the intensity physically and I didn’t understand a lot of the game plan. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, loveorhatembillsfan4life said:

My issue with this Line of thinking is that’s it’s not really realistic because this is the team we have decided to build.

Any team can say that a top ten  qb on their roster may take them to the next level especially ours. But why?  because our defense is top of the league. Maybe if the d we saw in Pittsburgh showed up today.  

But again, I don’t look at what if..we can only control our future with the players we have right now.

We are rolling with Josh who has had a big part of our record being what it is. I’m fine with that. we have to remember this is only year two. I think many including myself are jumping the gun on expectations. We have had a great season regardless. But the closer you get to the dance, the more we expect from our team.

I expected a much better performance from the entire team today. We got beat in the trenches and killed In time of possession. We had them backed up at the one yard line. No way should we be allowing them To gain much more than a first down. We would probably agree on this with our penetrating d line, and shutdown corner? 

ill say it again. I was more disappointed that we didn’t match the intensity physically and I didn’t understand a lot of the game plan. 

I take your point. It's not realistic now no, they are not quiting on Josh Allen. I just worry that I am right. Will never be proved right of course about having a Rodgers/brees on this team now to see but there are so many plays left on the field when we have lost by 7.

The game on now is 28-31.

2 minutes ago, Hebert19 said:

It was an irrelevant game.  Move on people. 

You learn something further from every game I think. 

Edited by london_bills
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, london_bills said:

I take your point. It's not realistic now no, they are not quiting on Josh Allen. I just worry that I am right. Will never be proved right of course about having a Rodgers/brees on this team now to see but there are so many plays left on the field when we have lost by 7.

The game on now is 28-31.

You learn something further from every game I think. 

My point is people are losing their minds over a game that wouldn't change our standing at all. 

4 minutes ago, Hebert19 said:

It was an irrelevant game.  Move on people. 

Also, if it was an irrelevant game - why did josh Allen start like he really felt the pressure of the world on his shoulders? 

Just now, Hebert19 said:

My point is people are losing their minds over a game that wouldn't change our standing at all. 

I know what you mean. I'm looking at what happened as still relevant. Go Bills 

1 hour ago, Max Fischer said:

I’m disappointed the Bills lost but not upset and it’s because I believed the Bills had a good chance to win but did not “expect” a win.

I believe 6-7 weeks ago a great majority of fans would have very happy to have the Bills compete at an extremely high level against the Ravens and the Pats. They were in a position to tie each game in the last minute, our second year QB is clearly on the rise and despite the the disappointing day, the Defense will scare the crap out of upcoming playoff opponents. 

The last few weeks give me a great deal of confidence the Bills could beat the Texans and they have a good chance to beat the Patriots, Chiefs or Ravens in the second round. The Bills are far ahead of any reasonable expectation for this season and that’s why I feel pretty good. Hers to a week of rest and two weeks of preparation for the playoffs. 

LOL.  You are also engaging in rationalization or bargaining.

This is the 3rd stage of grief.  I just made the same comment in a different thread.

This is hilarious.

A 10-4 team is expected to win.   Inside that locker room, they expect to win.  

This organization as a whole under McDermott, expect to win.   The Bills are past moral victories. 

Next year expectations will be higher especially after this season, hopefully, with a major step forward at the Qb position (not holding my breath)  and a TON of cap space this team should and will be expected to perform at a much higher level. 

The schedule will be harder, expectations will be much higher and they will need to produce and win against quality opponents. 

As it sits right now, this team expects to win and there are no more moral victories and that's right out of McDermott's own mouth. 

Just now, I am the egg man said:

Bills were clearly exposed on both sides of the ball today.

That hasn't happened much this year. With mediocre competition that can win games.

But convincing wins by them are few also. It is a process.

Exposed by being ten yards away from a tie on the road?

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, I am the egg man said:

Bills were clearly exposed on both sides of the ball today.

That hasn't happened much this year. With mediocre competition that can win games.

But convincing wins by them are few also. It is a process.

good thing the Steeelers were reduced to their 3rd string QB or it would have been 3 losses in a row

imagine the Bills our there with their 3rd strong QB.... is it Losman ?

• Like (+1) 1

There was thread after thread of some homers here talking crap before the season about if McD is going to be back next year if the Bills don't do well. 

All they did was complain about this GM & HC and talking about all the mistakes they have made...about getting rid of top talent like Sammy Watkins.

Yet,10-5 and IN the playoffs. You know what? Those fans are still not happy. 

Yes, this was their first season out of cap hell, and that cap hell was without paying an elite QB. This regime didn't go crazy and sign one of those over priced cancer players. The bills have all their picks for next year to find that elite #1 WR, beef up the pass rush and O line. 

Be happy, they could still go all the way! 

1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:

Two things

I bet if fans were told they would have 10 wins at this point in the year at the beginning of the season....they totally would have taken

This team is STILL not a finished product.....this is year 1 after a massive rebiuld.....the fact that we are doing this well with the offense playing so poorly is great

Just one little problem. By the time we get all the offensive pieces in place will our defense still be in tact? Windows in the NFL don't stay open long. Unless you're the Patriots. 

10 minutes ago, row_33 said:

good thing the Steelers were reduced to their 3rd string QB or it would have been 3 losses in a row

imagine the Bills out there with their 3rd string QB.... is it Losman ?

I was thinking Marlin Briscoe.

2 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Just one little problem. By the time we get all the offensive pieces in place will our defense still be in tact? Windows in the NFL don't stay open long. Unless you're the Patriots. 

Our D is still pretty young and I am hopeful that Beane is hard court pressing on playmakers on offense this offseason.

1 hour ago, MDH said:

Yeah, I’m excited about the playoff birth but I think that Brady has one regular season game left with the Pats. I wanted to beat that team in their place before he left. 

Maybe I’m wrong and he stays and we get another shot but I have my doubts.

And yeah, I realize it sounds weird that I’m hoping Brady plays another year but I want to beat him not just wait until he goes away.

That's my thought process too. I wanted them to beat the Patriots with Brady before he leaves. Don't want to hear the naysayers after he's gone and the Bills are beating them regularly.  I hope they get another shot at them in the playoffs this year. 32 years of fandom and still going strong...haha

Go Bills!!

1 hour ago, zow2 said:

Im Mostly disappointed because every team in the NFL gets their “signature” win against the Pats.  This year the Ravens, Chiefs and Texans all got em. But Buffalo can never beat Brady and Belichek’s defenses have owned Buffalo since Super Bowl 25.  Just tired of it.

This really sums it up.  

When we settled for a FG after the fumble recovery and the Pats shredded our defense on a long TD drive, I knew it was going to be just another loss to this team that’s owned Buffalo like no other team has ever owned another team.  It literally makes me ill because I think this is Brady’s last season and we’ll never get to watch him walk off the field, vanquished by the Buffalo Bills.  It’s just never going to happen.

36 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Our D is still pretty young and I am hopeful that Beane is hard court pressing on playmakers on offense this offseason.

And a new OC

Just now, mannc said:

This really sums it up.  

When we settled for a FG after the fumble recovery and the Pats shredded our defense on a long TD drive, I knew it was going to be just another loss to this team that’s owned Buffalo like no other team has ever owned another team.  It literally makes me ill because I think this is Brady’s last season and we’ll never get to watch him walk off the field, vanquished by the Buffalo Bills.  It’s just never going to happen.

Even though we went right down the field and had a first down at the 15 or so? There was no chance to win?

1 hour ago, Kelly the Dog said:

My problem was the two major changes for this team that made them inarguably better in the last 5-6 games they abandoned. They did not hurry up, or spread the defense like they did when the offense was rolling more. They did not crowd the box and Blitz like clearly helped in the last several games of getting more pressure and sacks. They went back to their less aggressive team strategy for this game, and it cost them imo. 

Do you think this was intentional and they treated this game as a preseason type of game? Preseason isn't really the right word, but I mean they didn't throw in any of their usual wrinkles. It was a pretty simple game plan across the board. Like they wanted to beat the Patriots but they didn't particularly care if it turned into a loss. The players didn't seem all that dejected in their post-game interviews, the way that they did after the Baltimore loss. McDermott kept talking about "fundamentals" in his press conference but didn't mention anything about game strategy. The whole thing feels a little weird.

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

Do you think this was intentional and they treated this game as a preseason type of game? Preseason isn't really the right word, but I mean they didn't throw in any of their usual wrinkles. It was a pretty simple game plan across the board. Like they wanted to beat the Patriots but they didn't particularly care if it turned into a loss. The players didn't seem all that dejected in their post-game interviews, the way that they did after the Baltimore loss. McDermott kept talking about "fundamentals" in his press conference but didn't mention anything about game strategy. The whole thing feels a little weird.

The players love him. And rightfully so. I don't want them questioning his strategy. And especially not in interviews. 

I also think that players and especially fans ALWAYS want to be more aggressive and blitz more and they are often very wrong. Everyone knows it's risk reward. That said, OUR defense is made for more blitzing. We have a great secondary that misses some tackles but is very sound for the most part. We have two extremely fast linebackers in Edmunds and Milano who are both good blitzers. In the last 4-5 games we have blitzed more and it was an enormous difference in sacks and pressure. A lot of it came from the safeties and corners, all of which are good blitzers. 

And then we just abandoned it today. The only way to beat Brady is pressure him. We weren't getting it from four. Edelman was the only guy really hurting us in pass game and I was screaming to put Tre on him, KJ and Wallace on Harry and Sanu and pressure Brady. They rarely if ever did and he killed them dinking and dunking like he has forever. I think it was a huge mistake. 

6 minutes ago, mannc said:

But we didn’t.  And we never do against New England.

I was responding to your point that the game was over before that drive, or you thought they had zero chance first down at the 15. Not that they did or didn't score. 

3 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

And then we just abandoned it today.

Right but I'm wondering if this was calculated. As in, McDermott looked at the playoff picture and realized this game was entirely meaningless unless Miami goes into New England and wins, which is so beyond the realm of possibility it is not even worth considering. So he decided to play a simple game with a vanilla scheme and save the wrinkles for the playoffs. Maybe if Cincinnati won last week our game plan would have been completely different.

This is all conjecture on my part. But I noticed the same thing you did, that we didn't play the same type of scheme on offense or defense that we've been playing over the past few weeks. And I can't help but think there is a reason for that. In Dallas we sold out to get the win. Last week we sold out to get the win. This week we didn't put anything new on tape. We just played basic football.

4 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Right but I'm wondering if this was calculated. As in, McDermott looked at the playoff picture and realized this game was entirely meaningless unless Miami goes into New England and wins, which is so beyond the realm of possibility it is not even worth considering. So he decided to play a simple game with a vanilla scheme and save the wrinkles for the playoffs. Maybe if Cincinnati won last week our game plan would have been completely different.

This is all conjecture on my part. But I noticed the same thing you did, that we didn't play the same type of scheme on offense or defense that we've been playing over the past few weeks. And I can't help but think there is a reason for that. In Dallas we sold out to get the win. Last week we sold out to get the win. This week we didn't put anything new on tape. We just played basic football.

Hard to say. I thought it was a huge mistake to go away from the hurry up and 11 against Pitt. They won but it was rewarding bad behavior. The vast majority of good plays were out of the 11 and vast majority of bad plays out of the DiMarco Lee Smith offense with one exception (the bomb to Brown). I think there were several bad tactical errors this game. I also think beating them, regardless of whether they would have won the division would have been huge. I don't at all for the playing possum idea. 

16 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

I was responding to your point that the game was over before that drive, or you thought they had zero chance first down at the 15. Not that they did or didn't score. 

I never said zero chance.  I said I knew it was going to end like all Bills games against NE do.  And it did.