McDermott is establishing himself as an elite HC

Flip Johnson

2 minutes ago, njbuff said:

People will point to his ultra-conservatism as to why they don't put McDermott amongst the elite.

Remember how conservative Marv Levy was his first three years as HC here?

The 4th down that he went for showed the development mcd preaches. At least I thought so. First year he doesn't go for that. 

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, sherpa said:

I think his timeout to spot the offensive set is used up.

It is extremely predictable now.

I'm guessing it won't be long that opposing offenses will predict it and come out in some set and after the timeout, change the play, or he doesn't take the timeout, audible out of the original set into something they want to do.

Last night it was extremely predictable.

Amazing how not outsmarting yourself actually works most of the time

58 minutes ago, Buffalo Boy said:

I really like him, so far BUT......

We need at least one playoff win this year and a good second game where we lose because they are the better team talent wise.

Then you can start talking about being in the top third of the league.

?

He's better than I thought he would be.  I still question his personnel choices.  Playing Peterman, cutting McCoy, and several others stand out.  Time management is not great but getting better. Penalties have been an issue that has improved of late.  I feel like the defense is more aggressive the past month or so.  I don't know if that is because Frazier is more aggressive or McD has told Frazier to be more aggressive.  Either way I like how the D is dictating play more and not just sitting back and waiting for the game to come to them.  

1 hour ago, ganesh said:

Everything is tied with the growth of Josh Allen.  If Allen succeeds McDermott will too and both will remain here for a long time.

Every sign points to that success.  Both of them work hard and committed to the process.

I’m actually starting to not think this is the case. If McD is such a great coach (which I think he is), I think you can start over at QB and not sacrifice the entire regime. The cap and salary structure for rookies makes this even more possible. Not that I think Allen won’t succeed, I think he will, but at this point I think McD is really proving he’s good enough to detach from the fate of the QB. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, dubs said:

I’m actually starting to not think this is the case. If McD is such a great coach (which I think he is), I think you can start over at QB and not sacrifice the entire regime. The cap and salary structure for rookies makes this even more possible. Not that I think Allen won’t succeed, I think he will, but at this point I think McD is really proving he’s good enough to detach from the fate of the QB. 

I agree with this. If Allen doesn't pan out its nonsensical to start afresh with everything 

Edited by london_bills
  • Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, njbuff said:

People will point to his ultra-conservatism as to why they don't put McDermott amongst the elite.

Remember how conservative Marv Levy was his first three years as HC here?

Going for it on 4th and 6 was not conservative.  I think we play really, really good complimentary football and the offensive output (namely, scoring) is a little lower than it could be because of that approach.  But it’s winning games.  And a lot of them.  We have a QB who can bring a team from behind and an offense that can grind a clock down.  Sometimes that holitistic approach is characterized as conservatism, but I think they’re different things. 

11 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

He's better than I thought he would be.  I still question his personnel choices.  Playing Peterman, cutting McCoy, and several others stand out.  Time management is not great but getting better. Penalties have been an issue that has improved of late.  I feel like the defense is more aggressive the past month or so.  I don't know if that is because Frazier is more aggressive or McD has told Frazier to be more aggressive.  Either way I like how the D is dictating play more and not just sitting back and waiting for the game to come to them.  

agree on peterman, appreciated McCoy but don’t miss him a bit.  

• Like (+1) 1

As a non-gameday coach, I give him a A++. He's performed miracles in changing the Bills culture from losers to winners. Let me say that again: he's performed miracles in changing the Bills culture from losers to winners.

He's done an above average B+ job during the week in preparing for an opponent.

On gameday, I score him a B grade. He's just OK with timeouts and challenges etc. He's no Bill Belichick on gameday.

Your title and your post don't seem to be the same thing.  

He's improving but you can't be elite until you've won something..........qualifying for a "wildcard berth" is a pretty low bar for elite.

The next step in the climb is not falling to 0-6 versus Belichick.

• Like (+1) 1

He's great for Xs and Os on defense , but he also gets credit for the culture change in Buffalo.  Players care about each other and the team.  They play better because they're playing for a cause.  Daboll is good with Xs and Os on offense, though I don't agree with everything he does.  Josh Allen is developing.  As he continues to develop and mature, he's going to make Daboll look better as a coordinator.

One of the more respectable talking NFL heads, Pat Kirwan, today said he belongs in the COY discussion. Loves the way he's building the team from the ground up. Loves the way he motivates and encourages. Said he's done what seven other coaches before him have been unable to do. Two playoff spots in three years.