Josh Allen - week FIFTEEN report card

rayray808

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

B- 

A few bad passes but he looked sharp early when the ball was in his hands. The inconsistency came once the Bills went more run heavy.... which is pretty much what I have been saying all season... he is better when the ball is in his hands than when he is handing off then being asked to make 1 throw. Then on that last drive when the Bills put the ball back in his hands and asked him to go win them a football game he delivered with a brilliant throw to Brown and then a laser to Kroft. 

I will keep saying it.... the Bills need to put the ball in this guy's hands more. They need to let him throw. 

Agreed.

I think they (Coaching) just enter certain games with the plan to not make any more mistakes than we have to. It is just in the DNA of the coaches. But, putting your young QB in 3 and 8 plus is ill advised, let him throw the darn ball on 1st and 2nd down.

6 hours ago, Easterner said:

We all know playing QB in the NFL is the hardest position in sports to play,  

which is why QB's get the big bucks.

Think of all the franchise QB's in the NFL who are too good to trade, 

but not good enough to win anything- Rivers, Ryan, Stafford, Carr, etc. etc.

Allen threw for 139 yards last night, 146 the week before. If those were Tyrod

Taylor's numbers he would be run out of town which he was. The defense won

the game last night. Allen did not. All rating systems have Allen between

25 and 30. No one is going to the Super Bowl throwing for 140 yards even with

no turnovers which is no gimme with Allen.

My system isn't marketed anywhere, as I really only post it here (and I haven't since week 5 because I'm a slacker), but I've got him 14th after last night and he was 13th going into this week. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

Agreed.

I think they (Coaching) just enter certain games with the plan to not make any more mistakes than we have to. It is just in the DNA of the coaches. But, putting your young QB in 3 and 8 plus is ill advised, let him throw the darn ball on 1st and 2nd down.

I have just done a post on the plan and adjustment last night. I think it was largely a response to the way Pittsburgh was trying to defend us.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I do notice a complete 180 turnaround from last regarding his scrambling instincts. He's alot more hesitant. I know he's trying to stay in the pocket longer to develop but

a large portion of his running mojo is gone

Agreed. There was one play in particular where it looks like he wanted to run through a huge gap in the line, but he hesitated for a moment, and as a result a defender tackled him after just 4 yards. He probably would have picked up the 1st if he had just run right away. The coaches need to remind him it's okay to run if his instincts tell him to. IMO they coached it out of him.

• Like (+1) 1

B for me... the offense would have put more points on the board if beasley could catch, I'm sorry but a guy making his payday needs to catch both of those balls, both hit him in the hands and are catches receivers make every day in this league. 

The singletary fumble also cost us points, allen missed a wide open throw to beasley high but other than that played a pretty good game, I thought his decision-making was good against  a aggressive defense. All in all, not great but good 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I give him a B+. My main gripe is the near fumbles and batted passes. I put the INT all on Beasley. Josh saved an offense that couldn’t get out of its own way: drive killing drops, a drop that turned into a pick, fumbles, conservative Gore play-calling. If last night was the Super Bowl, either Josh or Tre White would’ve been MVP. For that reason, it is hard to give him below a B.

• Like (+1) 1

Something that some are not taking into account and not respecting is the Steelers defense. Go back and look at the numbers from week 4 on for Steelers D , the passer rating against is 64, routinely giving up 150 yards passing and 250 total yards against (or less), and turning the ball over, sacking the QB and tough to score on! And those numbers are even better at home. B- is perfectly reasonable when taking this into account.

Edited by D. L. Hot-Flamethrower
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Josh had his players drop 4 balls. Beasley 2, Brown and DiMarco. He should've went 17/25 1 td, 1 rush, 0 ints. It was a very good game for him but I do notice a complete 180 turnaround from last regarding his scrambling instincts. He's alot more hesitant. I know he's trying to stay in the pocket longer to develop but

a large portion of his running mojo is gone.

I agree with this

The importance of the game (playoff clinch, primetime, Away at Steelers under the lights, Top 5 defense) should give him a bump, on any other week this is a C type performance but I'd give him a B on the night.  A is probably too high and I am more of a Allen homer than hater.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Jerboski said:

B for me... the offense would have put more points on the board if beasley could catch, I'm sorry but a guy making his payday needs to catch both of those balls, both hit him in the hands and are catches receivers make every day in this league. 

The singletary fumble also cost us points, allen missed a wide open throw to beasley high but other than that played a pretty good game, I thought his decision-making was good against  a aggressive defense. All in all, not great but good 

Beasley came up really small last night 1 catch for 6 yards. Some games the matchup just doesn't workout with him.  He's barely an NFL receiver for the most part.

• Like (+1) 1

Solid B for me.

And for the love of whom ever you belive, this WOs need to start catching those tough balls. Beasly had a rough game, he had a couple of drops, sure the INT was high but it was catchable. 

You have to consider the Defense we were playing and Dabs called a game trying to protect the game at all cost, he was playing not to lose (which I hate) until that master piece TD.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

8 hours ago, CincyBillsFan said:

I disagree 100%

*  First off that was a brilliant back shoulder throw by Allen.  Mahomes & Rogers hit that pass all the time.  You do realize that the Steelers DB was called for PI on that play right?  That's what a great back shoulder throw does - catch it for a big gain or draw a PI.

*  Brown didn't really prevent a pick on that throw.  That was the moron Collingsworth trying to claim that the throw was almost intercepted.  Watch a replay and the DB would have had to make a spectacular play to INT that ball.  It was a good 50/50 ball by Allen and Brown did a nice job fighting for it and preventing any chance for an INT.  Pretty routine play by an NFL WR.

That POS Collinsworth was unbelievably negative about Allen.  That "almost interception" was a perfect example of it.

He absolutely prevented a likely pick on that play. It was literally right to the db, who had great position. I love allen, but man are there a lot of rose colored glasses in this thread when it comes to his play last night.

7 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Haha John Brown saved him because he made a contested catch!! First time in NFL history I have ever seen that play made!

Seeing two extremes in this thread, but that is not too unusual. Folks usually have an agenda, and none of us are completely unbiased.

I would give Josh a B- simply because he did not hurt this team when up against a really good defense, or put our defense in too bad a position and he made plays when he needed to make them. Yes, the pass to Beasley was too high and too hot, and he has to clean up that and his poor footwork that has creeped back into his game. I think that is part of growth. You don't wake up one day and your bad habits are gone, you sometimes have to go back to the basics and reset.

I know it is in there, because he had some fantastic form in Dallas, so it is just a matter of building on that foundation, and his QB coach going over the film with him to remind him over and over till it becomes second nature.

I like Allen a lot, but being more disciplined with his mechanics means that Allen will be able to hit those easy safe options when other teams are bringing the heat and will ensure our QB does not get carted off the field because he held onto the ball too long. I want him to have a long career as our Bills QB and a successful one.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I’m not happy with his running ability getting coached out of him

its a huge part of his game and he needs to find a balance

He hurt his ankle last week. 

Just now, dave mcbride said:

He absolutely prevented a likely pick on that play. It was literally right to the db, who had great position. I love allen, but man are there a lot of rose colored glasses in this thread when it comes to his play last night.

I don't think it was an easy INT. It was more of a 50/50 ball...and yes he made a good play there. I actually think that the better play (hindsight being 20/20) may have been to run through the pattern and draw the DPI, but not really upset about it.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, ganesh said:

+1.  People don't look at the big picture....and he had only 3 of those 13 TO's in the last 9 games....I just don't see how people downright dislike his play.

I think because Allen is raw and the Bills use him in a way that is almost as unconventional as the way the Ravens use Jackson.  McD & Bean have a vision for how this team would look and Allen is their ideal QB.

I'm beginning to wonder if the powers that be in Buffalo were not only interested in Allen's physical attributes but liked his attitude just as much.  By "attitude" I mean his combination of cockiness and selflessness on the football field.  Allen will NEVER regret not throwing for 400 yards and 4 TD's as long as the team wins.  I don't think this guy gives a hoot about the stats.  He has the perfect ego for a McD coached team.

• Awesome! (+1) 1