WEEK 10: B-

WEEK 11: A

WEEK 12: B

WEEK 13: A

WEEK 14: C

WEEK 15: A

13/25 - 139 yards - 1 TD - 1 INT - 28 yards rushing 1 TD

Grading beyond the stats tonight...

On a Sunday Night Football game, where all sorts of records and trends showed that we were not supposed to win this game, Josh Allen helped overcome various obstacles, stayed poised, and lead this team to a W.

He had one bad throw that Chris Colinsworth just picked apart, and yet there were many bad drops that could have extended drives.

The INT was off Coleʻs hands. Was it high? Sure. Was it catchable? Sure.

Fumbles from Devin, Duck throwing prayers and having them answered... none of that seemed to rattle Josh.

He was a man on a mission and tonight it was mission accomplished.

We are in the playoffs bay bayyyyyyyy!

No sure about the A grade.  B-/C+

Edited by Buffbills716

28 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

I can't completely separate Collinsworth from PFF.  PFF has an ax to grind and Collinsworth as a PFF investor shares that same ax.  And given that this was the first time the Bills had been on Sunday Night football in a LONG time it was bush league by Collinsworth to bash Allen as much as he did.

Sure, some criticism was warranted last night.  But Collinsworth wouldn't let it drop and half his critique had more to do with tired old stereotypes that Allen wasn't even guilty of last night.  It was unrelenting and bordered on the obsessive.   I also don't recall a whole lot of praise from Collinsworth for the things Allen did well. 

You mention fumbles but Allen didn't fumble last night.  Singleterry did - TWICE yet Collinsworth glossed right over it so he could take another shot at Allen's footwork.  And when you look at lost fumbles, there are plenty of QB's who have as many or more then Allen.  Again, half of what Collinsworth spouted last night was a false narrative that either never was true or hadn't been true for the last 10 games.

As for missing key passes, which ones would that be?  Sure he badly missed Beasley in the flat on 2nd & 8 but it was hardly a key pass. 

Today I listened to the Cowherd show.  Now NO ONE can accuse Cowherd of being an Allen apologist.  In fact he was blisteringly critical of Allen after the Bills drafted him.  Today he kept including Allen by name when talking about athletic QB's who produce in the clutch being the future of the NFL.  IMO a more reasonable take by Collinsworth last night would have been along the lines of Allen being inconsistent but having all the tools to be elite. 

Collinsworth did make that point on fumbles when the ball popped out just after Allen was down so it was a somewhat relevant point in that given context. In my opinion Allen does fumble a bit too much, are their worse QB's at fumbling? Of course, but that doesn't mean Allen doesn't fumble too much in his own respect.

I think that Collinsworth was mostly fair about what Allen needs to do in order to improve and his criticisms were in context of what was happening on the field. For example. After Allen sailed that one throw to a fairly open Beasely (with no pressure in his face) that would have set up a third and short Colinsworth pointed out that Allen does have some easy misses that could hamper how effective he could be as a QB. 

Now I do think that Collinsworth also glossed over the progress and positives Allen has had. But overall Allen didn't play the best game and it showed the good, bad and ugly of his game. Something that I think any commentator would have been fair to point out. 

6 hours ago, Socal-805 said:

The Bills are 28 in the league is passing yards/game - I suppose this has nothing to do with Josh Allen...

He's missing guys on easy throws that are wide open.  

He is.  Hopefully, he will get better.

Edited by Buffbills716

42 minutes ago, VW82 said:

Collinsworth said he was last in TT during the broadcast yesterday at over 3 seconds. I'm not sure where he got that but ESPN does a lot of work with Elias Sports Bureau so maybe it was from them, but we're kind of splitting hairs here. 

My solution is not to take intentional grounding penalties which is what the guy I responded to seemed to be advocating. You can't "just throw it away" from inside the pocket which is where the many of Josh's sacks have occurred. If he can't make quick decisions he might as well get out of the pocket. I would prefer he make quick decisions. 

I think he holds the ball a long time because he's slow at processing and afraid to make mistakes. And No, I don't think our super fast and shifty WR group of "smoke" Brown, Beasley, McKenzie, Foster, and Knox are woeful at creating separation. I think they're above average. They're well below average in making tough catches but that's another debate.   

They're not above average at all.

Beasley is 14th among WRs in avg yards of separation per route run. Brown is in the 60s somewhere per NextGen.

16 hours ago, rayray808 said:

WEEK 1: B-

WEEK 2: B

WEEK 3: C+

WEEK 4: F

WEEK 5: B+

WEEK 7: B

WEEK 8: D+

WEEK 9: B+

WEEK 10: B-

WEEK 11: A

WEEK 12: B

WEEK 13: A

WEEK 14: C

WEEK 15: A

13/25 - 139 yards - 1 TD - 1 INT - 28 yards rushing 1 TD

Grading beyond the stats tonight...

On a Sunday Night Football game, where all sorts of records and trends showed that we were not supposed to win this game, Josh Allen helped overcome various obstacles, stayed poised, and lead this team to a W.

He had one bad throw that Chris Colinsworth just picked apart, and yet there were many bad drops that could have extended drives.

The INT was off Coleʻs hands. Was it high? Sure. Was it catchable? Sure.

Fumbles from Devin, Duck throwing prayers and having them answered... none of that seemed to rattle Josh.

He was a man on a mission and tonight it was mission accomplished.

We are in the playoffs bay bayyyyyyyy!

I agree with you on how he ran the team. 

But he didn't throw well enough to get an A.  He had some ugly throws.  

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I think pretty high. I don't believe the Bills want to put Josh into a new offense and have him start from scratch learning verbage and learning new plays. 

I think so too but maybe the offense still makes a leap even with Daboll. 

6 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Beasley is 14th among WRs in avg yards of separation per route run. Brown is in the 60s somewhere per NextGen.

14th would be above average considering there are 64 #1 and #2 WR’s, no?

Edited by BringBackOrton

1 hour ago, VW82 said:

An intentional grounding penalty isn’t any better. The real issue is he’s DFL in the entire NFL in time it takes to throw. Once he’s already screwed up the play with slow decision making I’d rather he try to bail us out by buying time, getting out of the pocket and risk giving up the sack. He’s really good at that. Making quicker, better decisions is the number one thing he needs to work on this off season IMO.

There are ways to throw incomplete passes without grounding the ball. Just throw it into the ground relatively close to your receiver and live to fight another day. Tom Brady has done this his whole career. 

11 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Yup and Knox is only 0.3 yards behind Beasley. The problem with that stat is it only measures when the ball is thrown. Given we're discussing separation in the first 2.5 seconds when Josh hasn't thrown yet, it would seem to be a moot point. 

I'm also a little unclear why Next Gen is stripping out sacks in their TTT measurement.  If a guy is holding the ball too long and it results in a sack, shouldn't that count toward his numbers?? 

45 minutes ago, DuckyBoys said:

I think so too but maybe the offense still makes a leap even with Daboll. 

I think it can. A true #1 receiver, another young back and a leap from Knox and Singletary in year 2. Plus a bit more consistency up front. Our line has been decent this year but game to game and sometimes even play to play there is frustrating inconsistency. When they put it all together they are really good. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I think it can. A true #1 receiver, another young back and a leap from Knox and Singletary in year 2. Plus a bit more consistency up front. Our line has been decent this year but game to game and sometimes even play to play there is frustrating inconsistency. When they put it all together they are really good. 

We need a young WR with size, and maybe some more vet competition on the OL. 

Otherwise I think we should keep building out the defense and make that unit the best in the NFL.

17 hours ago, SCBills said:

Brown did what most WRs in the NFL do for their QB.  You’re just not used to seeing it.  

The pick was 90% on Beasley. 

It's axiomatic in the NFL as a WR, if you can get both hands on it you should either catch it, or swat it down.  Not batt it up for the D to make a play on.

So I give Beasley some responsibility - he was able to get both his hands on it.  He sort of squeezed it like an orange and it popped up.

image.thumb.png.bf4cac08f2ffde6322f425e54fd9a290.png

That said, NO, not 90% on Beasley.  That was one weird-traveling ball.  I thought initially from the side shot that a defender may have deflected it because it changed direction and travelled up, but looking from the back, Allen had a clear passing lane and I believe he did what @Buffalo716 has called out and "threw" the ball from his upper body without following through correctly with his hip and right leg.  (though I caveat this by saying I am less able to figure out Allen's results vs mechanics than just about any other QB I've watched).  It wasn't thrown with a clean spiral.

It was a catchable ball and Beasley gets some blame for not either making the catch or swatting it down, but it was a high degree of difficulty catch for our little 5'8" smurf.  I would put that maybe 75% on Allen for poor throw mechanics and 25% on Beasley for being the guy who got both hands on it with the chance to avert a bad play.

I hope they have some chance for Allen to do a refresher course on throwing mechanics because I think over the last couple weeks, all the pressure has kind of had him revert a bit.  Either that or something about his sprained L ankle is still bothering him.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

It was a catchable ball and Beasley gets some blame for not either making the catch or swatting it down, but it was a high degree of difficulty catch for our little 5'8" smurf.  I would put that maybe 75% on Allen for poor throw mechanics and 25% on Beasley for being the guy who got both hands on it with the chance to avert a bad play.m revert a bit.

This is fairly accurate.

As for the Josh haters, recall that it was his second INT in 8 games... If that isn't good enough for you, please change teams

18 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

It's axiomatic in the NFL as a WR, if you can get both hands on it you should either catch it, or swat it down.  Not batt it up for the D to make a play on.

So I give Beasley some responsibility - he was able to get both his hands on it.  He sort of squeezed it like an orange and it popped up.

That said, NO, not 90% on Beasley.  That was one weird-traveling ball.  I thought initially from the side shot that a defender may have deflected it because it changed direction and travelled up, but looking from the back, Allen had a clear passing lane and I believe he did what @Buffalo716 has called out and "threw" the ball from his upper body without following through correctly with his hip and right leg.  (though I caveat this by saying I am less able to figure out Allen's results vs mechanics than just about any other QB I've watched).  It wasn't thrown with a clean spiral.

It was a catchable ball and Beasley gets some blame for not either making the catch or swatting it down, but it was a high degree of difficulty catch for our little 5'8" smurf.  I would put that maybe 75% on Allen for poor throw mechanics and 25% on Beasley for being the guy who got both hands on it with the chance to avert a bad play.

I hope they have some chance for Allen to do a refresher course on throwing mechanics because I think over the last couple weeks, all the pressure has kind of had him revert a bit.  Either that or something about his sprained L ankle is still bothering him.

It definitely wasn't a super clean throw but Beasley still has to come down with it or bat it down not up

He is a professional and he got his hands on it.. if that was a standard 6'0 reciever it's an easy grab

Josh sped up his delivery because he was late getting to Beasley. So he hurried his release to get the ball there

And it floated on him.

If he anticipated it better I think he puts it on the money

24 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Go back and watch his feet on the TD throw. It's tough to be convinced you need to change your mechanics when you do the thing your coaches tell you not to and you put it right on the money in the biggest moment of the game.  

18 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

This ball was in the only place it could have been thrown: after looking off the safety and coming back to his read Allen needed to clear the LB. The throw is fine and caught by many, many NFL wideouts of all sizes around the league every week. Watching it live I put the blame 50/50...on replay wide angle it's 80% Beasley's fault. Like Brown across middle drop earlier, he's already looking at the safety anticipating contact. As soon as the ball hits his hands his head is turned away looking for the hit. Clear, clear drop.