Jump to content
transplantbillsfan

What are our offensive and defensive game plans to beat Baltimore?

Recommended Posts

IMO we need to be aggressive defending on first down and attack the line of scrimmage. I think getting some tackles for loss and stuffs on first down and perhaps turnovers are our best chance. They seem to win first down a lot and dictate to teams after that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In Jackson's last 8 games, he has rushed the ball 14 or more times 5 times, and averaged 13 rushes per game over that stretch. When he has 14-20 rushes, he is going to accumulate some yards; however, If they can keep him under 5-6 yards per rush (and keep Ingram relatively in check), then I think it will be a close game.

 

Offensively, I am not as worried.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

"The quarterback must go down, and he must go down hard." - Al Davis

Just be smart about it. Can't have him running for first downs and getting another 15 on top of it for late or overly physical hits. I think refs will let most things go, as they are likely to treat him like a runningback(we saw the same with tyrod, and even Allen to an extent). Still hope the coaches are preaching smart physical tackling over brute meathead Burfict tackling. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Defense - gameplan around limiting their run attack.  CBs are going to have to play really well - its a zone game because man will get you killed with a guy like LJ.  Linemen need to not rush too far upfield - collapse the pocket around him and make him either A - Step up and beat us with arm/get sacked..  or B - fade out towards a sideline thus splitting the team in half and forcing him further back from the LOS.

 

Offense - Fast paced - this is a game that you need to be able to score fast.  They tend to run the ball a lot to limit the amount of plays/possessions you will get.  

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think this is a matchup nightmare as it has been for many teams and we are about to be destroyed.

 

The last time I was so sure that a Bills opponent would absolutely destroy us:

 

2018 bills at Vikings ;) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jackson loves to throw over the middle and the Bills' defense likes to force teams to throw over the middle, where they can create tipped balls and turnovers.  Something's gonna give...

Edited by mannc
  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The gameplan has to start with dictating the pace ..the Ravens like to score fast with deep seam passes to their tight end out of their 21 personnel sets or go deep to Hollywood . we need to stay on the field converting on 3rd down will be crucial. We need to stop the run first and foremost it doesn't appear that any team has really boxed Lamar in yet ..we have two excellent safeties that should be able to limit their verticality ..we need to make Lamar have to stand in the pocket and keep him away from those easy dump off completions and wide open seam shots ...the media is salivating over him but their passing game really isn't very complex it's just excellent disguise and scheming . On offence Josh needs to continue his excellent trajectory and take what's there and not force things and give them short fields 

Edited by bills11

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This game I would be most concerned with Bills getting down early like 17-3 or something and then getting out of their offensive gameplan and start having Allen try to do to much. 

If they get way down like over 21 points then they definitely will have to do more but hopefully they can keep Singletary running plays and sustain some drives.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have a chance to win this game, but I just don't know why anyone would be confident we will win this game.

 

Our offense is fine, but we never come out like gangbusters and put up points quickly or in bunches.  And I really do think some of that is the product of execution, but a big product of that is McDermott's approach, which  is generally conservative.

 

It's our defense that terrifies me.  We're average to below average as a run defense.  Harbaugh's a smart coach.  He's going to run the hell out of Ingram and Lamar.  Ingram, in fact, is the most similar to the RB who gave us the biggest problem this year: Jordan Howard.  And how confident are we that we really bottled Zeke Elliott up on Thanksgiving?  I think the Cowboys just stupidly gave up on the run game too early.

 

Until Buffalo proves on more than just a few plays they can stop the run consistently, Harbaugh and the Ravens are likely to just keep running it down our throats.  I expect to see Edmunds whiff on a few tackles he should have had because that's what he's done multiple times over the last 4 or 5 games.

 

I don't want to totally slam our defense because our pass defense is fantastic.  But there's a formula on offense for pummelling the Bills and the Ravens have all the necessary ingredients.

 

And just curious, when was the last time the Bills beat Harbaugh's Ravens?  It feels like we just get crushed every time we play them.

 

I know that we can win this game, but I'm very much braced for us to get blown out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

We have a chance to win this game, but I just don't know why anyone would be confident we will win this game.

 

Our offense is fine, but we never come out like gangbusters and put up points quickly or in bunches.  And I really do think some of that is the product of execution, but a big product of that is McDermott's approach, which  is generally conservative.

 

It's our defense that terrifies me.  We're average to below average as a run defense.  Harbaugh's a smart coach.  He's going to run the hell out of Ingram and Lamar.  Ingram, in fact, is the most similar to the RB who gave us the biggest problem this year: Jordan Howard.  And how confident are we that we really bottled Zeke Elliott up on Thanksgiving?  I think the Cowboys just stupidly gave up on the run game too early.

 

Until Buffalo proves on more than just a few plays they can stop the run consistently, Harbaugh and the Ravens are likely to just keep running it down our throats.  I expect to see Edmunds whiff on a few tackles he should have had because that's what he's done multiple times over the last 4 or 5 games.

 

I don't want to totally slam our defense because our pass defense is fantastic.  But there's a formula on offense for pummelling the Bills and the Ravens have all the necessary ingredients.

 

And just curious, when was the last time the Bills beat Harbaugh's Ravens?  It feels like we just get crushed every time we play them.

 

I know that we can win this game, but I'm very much braced for us to get blown out.

who are you and what have you done with our transplant?

  • Haha (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

 

Until Buffalo proves on more than just a few plays they can stop the run consistently, Harbaugh and the Ravens are likely to just keep running it down our throats.  


This. Entirely this.

When I take emotion and bias out of the equation and look at this game from a strictly matchup-based point of view, it doesn't look good for Buffalo.

A middling (at best) run defense against an elite, Roman-schemed running team. And even IF you devote all of the necessary resources to stopping Ingram, Lamar will take it on a keeper and gain 20. 

 

The only way I see the Bills winning this game is by matching the Ravens score for score and being the last team with the ball as the game ends with a chance for a winning TD or FG.

I simply do not see the Bills stopping the run or keeping points off the board. I hope, hope, hope I am wrong, but this has all the makings of an ugly one for Buffalo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Logic said:


This. Entirely this.

When I take emotion and bias out of the equation and look at this game from a strictly matchup-based point of view, it doesn't look good for Buffalo.

A middling (at best) run defense against an elite, Roman-schemed running team. And even IF you devote all of the necessary resources to stopping Ingram, Lamar will take it on a keeper and gain 20. 

 

The only way I see the Bills winning this game is by matching the Ravens score for score and being the last team with the ball as the game ends with a chance for a winning TD or FG.

I simply do not see the Bills stopping the run or keeping points off the board. I hope, hope, hope I am wrong, but this has all the makings of an ugly one for Buffalo.

Could argue the opposite.  Were treating them like a option college offense and if any team is disciplined enough to beat that I think its our defense.  For me its really the offense.  I think theyll get 20-25.  Can we get 25-30?  I'm not sure I see us getting their, but if we do then I'm pretty sure the stars have aligned resulting in a Pats loss to the chiefs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Logic said:


This. Entirely this.

When I take emotion and bias out of the equation and look at this game from a strictly matchup-based point of view, it doesn't look good for Buffalo.

A middling (at best) run defense against an elite, Roman-schemed running team. And even IF you devote all of the necessary resources to stopping Ingram, Lamar will take it on a keeper and gain 20. 

 

The only way I see the Bills winning this game is by matching the Ravens score for score and being the last team with the ball as the game ends with a chance for a winning TD or FG.

I simply do not see the Bills stopping the run or keeping points off the board. I hope, hope, hope I am wrong, but this has all the makings of an ugly one for Buffalo.

 

Really sucks, but one of the biggest mysteries to me this season has been why every single team hasn't just played Buffalo with a run, Run, RUn, RUN, RUN philosophy...

 

I mean, maybe this is the week McDermott solves the riddle and we legitimately and consistently stop the run rather than just relying on the other team to abandon it too early.  I hope we do because you can bet the Patriots will have a very run-heavy gameplan if we haven't.

 

And our problems go back even before the Eagles game, anyway.  The week before when we played Miami our Run D got gashed.

 

As good as Edmunds has been in the pass D, I think he's a huge liability against the run.

 

To me, this is why I want to see run blitzes the entire game and just let Lamar try to beat us over the top.

Edited by transplantbillsfan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, transplantbillsfan said:

 

Really sucks, but one of the biggest mysteries to me this season has been why every single team hasn't just played Buffalo with a run, Run, RUn, RUN, RUN philosophy...

 

I mean, maybe this is the week McDermott solves the riddle and we legitimately and consistently stop the run rather than just relying on the other team to abandon it too early.  I hope we do because you can bet the Patriots will have a very run-heavy gameplan if we haven't.

 

And our problems go back even before the Eagles game, anyway.  The week before when we played Miami our Run D got gashed.

 

As good as Edmunds has been in the pass D, I think he's a huge liability against the run.


The Cowboys, for instance, could likely have dominated the game against the Bills if they had simply FED ZEKE and stuck to the run. To the Bills great fortune, they did not.

I definitely don't think just ANY team can beat Buffalo by running and running only. The Ravens, though, appear to be one such team. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, YattaOkasan said:

Could argue the opposite.  Were treating them like a option college offense and if any team is disciplined enough to beat that I think its our defense.  For me its really the offense.  I think theyll get 20-25.  Can we get 25-30?  I'm not sure I see us getting their, but if we do then I'm pretty sure the stars have aligned resulting in a Pats loss to the chiefs.

 

It's not just discipline--which I think you overestimate because we've still seen big chunk runs by RBs as recently as last week with Zeke-- it's about tackling.  The MLB is pretty much THE MOST important cog in run Defense, and if he's not a good tackler, that's a problem. 

 

Edmunds is a big guy, but he plays small.

 

He needs to start tackling like the behemoth he is.

2 minutes ago, Logic said:


The Cowboys, for instance, could likely have dominated the game against the Bills if they had simply FED ZEKE and stuck to the run. To the Bills great fortune, they did not.

I definitely don't think just ANY team can beat Buffalo by running and running only. The Ravens, though, appear to be one such team. 

 

Yes, I was so glad (and pretty confused) when the Cowboys stopped giving the ball to Zeke.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hopefully this praise from Thursday's game is warranted and McDermott is really hitting his stride as a Head Coach.  Might give our Defense the chance it needs in this game:

https://theathletic.com/1423156/2019/12/03/upon-further-review-ten-likes-and-dislikes-from-week-13-in-the-nfl/

Upon further review: Ten likes and dislikes from Week 13 in the NFL

7. Sean McDermott searching for an edge

I normally don’t address Thursday games in this space, but since we had three on Thanksgiving, and there were some duds on Sunday, I’m making an exception. One of my favorite parts of the Bills’ 26-15 win over the Cowboys was what Sean McDermott did at the end of the first half when Dallas was facing a third-and-3. The Bills showed a heavy blitz look before the snap, which seemed like an odd call. There were only 8 seconds left in the half, and Dallas had the ball at the Buffalo 24. Why risk giving up a touchdown there with a big blitz instead of playing it safe and forcing a field-goal attempt? The Cowboys lined up in empty, but after seeing the blitz look, Dak Prescott motioned Ezekiel Elliott back behind the offensive line and shouted out protection calls. Before the ball was snapped, McDermott called a timeout. CBS’ Tony Romo did a great job of explaining what was happening.

 

“That was Sean McDermott faking like he was gonna blitz everybody to see what you were gonna do,” Romo said. “Outstanding. Just to see what you were up in. This is really smart, Jim (Nantz). He wanted to look, if he got in this on third down, what’s your plan for it? …Now Sean got a taste for, ‘If I do this in the second half on a blitz, I want to see what you’ve planned as an offense, as a coaching staff during the week.’ Really, really intelligent. He just bought himself one extra play of knowledge for the second half.”

 

Is it the biggest deal in the world? Of course not. But I love that McDermott, even in that situation, was looking for a way to give his team an edge. That’s good coaching. The Bills schemed up a trick play that had John Brown throwing to Devin Singletary for a 28-yard touchdown. Josh Allen went 19-for-24 for 231 yards and keeps getting better. And rookie Ed Oliver (two sacks) had his best game of the season. The 9-3 Bills have a big one Sunday at home against the Ravens.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mannc said:

Jackson loves to throw over the middle and the Bills' defense likes to force teams to throw over the middle, where they can create tipped balls and turnovers.  Something's gonna give...

Yes...as good as Jackson is, he can't be everywhere.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, transplantbillsfan said:

We have a chance to win this game, but I just don't know why anyone would be confident we will win this game.

 

Our offense is fine, but we never come out like gangbusters and put up points quickly or in bunches.  And I really do think some of that is the product of execution, but a big product of that is McDermott's approach, which  is generally conservative.

 

It's our defense that terrifies me.  We're average to below average as a run defense.  Harbaugh's a smart coach.  He's going to run the hell out of Ingram and Lamar.  Ingram, in fact, is the most similar to the RB who gave us the biggest problem this year: Jordan Howard.  And how confident are we that we really bottled Zeke Elliott up on Thanksgiving?  I think the Cowboys just stupidly gave up on the run game too early.

 

Until Buffalo proves on more than just a few plays they can stop the run consistently, Harbaugh and the Ravens are likely to just keep running it down our throats.  I expect to see Edmunds whiff on a few tackles he should have had because that's what he's done multiple times over the last 4 or 5 games.

 

I don't want to totally slam our defense because our pass defense is fantastic.  But there's a formula on offense for pummelling the Bills and the Ravens have all the necessary ingredients.

 

And just curious, when was the last time the Bills beat Harbaugh's Ravens?  It feels like we just get crushed every time we play them.

 

I know that we can win this game, but I'm very much braced for us to get blown out.

EJ beat the defending Super Bowl champ Ravens. Flacco threw 4 picks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, transplantbillsfan said:

 

It's not just discipline--which I think you overestimate because we've still seen big chunk runs by RBs as recently as last week with Zeke-- it's about tackling.  The MLB is pretty much THE MOST important cog in run Defense, and if he's not a good tackler, that's a problem. 

 

Edmunds is a big guy, but he plays small.

 

He needs to start tackling like the behemoth he is.

 

Yes, I was so glad (and pretty confused) when the Cowboys stopped giving the ball to Zeke.

I get what youre saying but I'm not thinking of the Ravens as a typical run offense.  Yes weve given up big chunk plays using our standard gap assignments but with the Ravens game its much more assignment in the run game.  In this way, sticking your assignment, we may actually be better than against a typical zone rushing attack.  I'm sorta just making this all up so anyone with some knowledge please step in here.  I would be interested to know how weve done versus power type runs versus zone runs.  I know weve been killed on the duo concept all year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not too worried about Buffalo's Offense.  I think they will find a way to score 18-21 points.

 

Ravens play most of the time with multiple TE's to control the LOS and are also targets in the passing game.

 

The #1 thing is to stop the run (both QB and RB).

 

I think there are 2 ways to attack their offense.

1) Be aggressive and attack the mesh point where Jackson/Ingram hands the ball off (or keeps it).  Make Jackson make a decision early, then run it down.

2) Only blitz with a CB.  Because of Jackson's speed, I think you attack off the edge with a CB blitz to try and match his speed. (also try and get in quicker).  I do not think interior blitzes will be effective.

 

I would play 5/2/4 to try and neutralize their running game and live with the passing.

 

Have 5 down linemen (can mix LBs here too) to try and control the LOS, 2 LBs (one of these potentially a backup CB or Safety to spy Jackson), and 4 DBs.

 

 

 

 

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...