What are our offensive and defensive game plans to beat Baltimore?

1 hour ago, SectionC3 said:

We could see our exceptionally tall MLB shine in this one.  I agree w all of the zone comments.  Can’t turn our back to Jackson.  Gap integrity and shutting down Ingram will be key.  Jackson is going to get his yards; just want to minimize that damage and not let him throw easily.  I think we’re going to see a heavy dose of big nickel this week, too.  Not much Lorax save for obvious passing downs. 

To me Andrews is the guy that makes it work for them.   Maybe Tre sees him on passing downs.  

I agree with most of what you say but tre doesn’t make much sense in this role. Maybe a safety? 

55 minutes ago, umang_a_desai said:

Keep Lamar off the field similar to Brady. If he’s not on the field he can’t do anything. Our d is good for one or two stops. We just have to play ball control and come away with points every possession. I know, easier said than done but that imho is our best chance...

That'll be the goal, but the Ravens do have a pretty stout D.

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Agreed. JA may just have to ball out like last year against Miami. If he does I just hope he stays safe...

4 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

IMHO we drafted Edmunds because McBeane hoped he would become a player who could handle Gronk - speed and size.

If Edmunds could handle Andrews, that would be sweet.

I think we might need Tre on Marquise Brown.

Agree with the last part. Gotta keep Hollywood in contain. Tre needs to shut that option down.

3 hours ago, TPS said:

I don’t know if the Bills can win this game. However, if they do, then they will leap into super bowl discussions...

Deservedly so 

57 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Yeah. No one's really talking about their D, but I'm pretty worried about their Defense, too.

I feel like this is one of those games they shut us down in the 1st half and then we can finally move the ball and score after we make some halftime adjustments.

The problem is that'll likely be too late.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, umang_a_desai said:

I agree with most of what you say but tre doesn’t make much sense in this role. Maybe a safety? 

Possibly.  Andrews strikes me as their catalyst,  though.  I’d be tempted to take him away and make Jackson throw to areas outside of his comfort zone.  

• Like (+1) 2

13 hours ago, BobBelcher said:

I think this is a matchup nightmare as it has been for many teams and we are about to be destroyed.

The last time I was so sure that a Bills opponent would absolutely destroy us:

2018 bills at Vikings ;) 

Fear not for this Sunday...no battle is ever won. They are not even fought. The field only reveals to man his folly and despair, and victory is an illusion of philosophers and fools.

3 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

Fear not for this Sunday...no battle is ever won. They are not even fought. The field only reveals to man his folly and despair, and victory is an illusion of philosophers and fools.

"The victorious warrior wins first and then goes to war, while the defeated warrior goes to war and then seeks to win."

Or something like that.

1 hour ago, Joe in Winslow said:

"The victorious warrior wins first and then goes to war, while the defeated warrior goes to war and then seeks to win."

Or something like that.

"He got a 13.  A 13.  Figure out how to be smarter than that."

• Like (+1) 1

I can give you my game plan. Bill Parcells Superbowl 25

Run the ball & eat clock, long drives to keep Lamar on the sidelines

My personal game plan is to drink beer in a dark room with no sharp objects

• Haha (+1) 2

Pressure HAS to come from Inside this game. There is no ifs ands or buts about it. 

The DEs rush up the field 3-4 yards and Contain. Cannot allow Lamar Jackson to slide in between the DT and DE to escape because the DE got to far up the field. 

Oliver and Phillips or those inside games have to be where the Pressure is from. 

With Lamar being 6’2 212 you can spy him with a DB. Normally people would call for Milano to pull that duty but I want him able to cover Mark Andrews so the Spy duties shift to a DB. 

Tre White follows Brown all over the field. I feel fine with our rotation at 2CB handling Snead   

I feel pretty confident in our Pass Defense Matchups as long as they can keep Lamar in the Pocket. 

on Offense 

Protect Allen. Also he should run a bunch early when Ravens in Man IF we can gash them early with Allen’s legs on man Pressed pass plays it should have the affect of Pulling Ravens DBs out of their man concepts and put them in Zones. 

Running is going to be tough sledding BUT we have to keep at it just to keep Defense honest. 

no turnovers have to make Baltimore’s Offense really earn their points. 

also take points when you get them because Baltimore have been a Front running Team. If we can get on top early We can’t take their Run Concepts out of the game. 

shorten the game. Sustain drives keeping that Offense off the field. (Ala SB25 like Giants did to us). 

if we can do those things consistently I think we win a close game. I do not see a blowout from either side. 

SHOCK THE WORLD AND ANNOUNCE YOURSELF AT 10-3 and climb to a Tie at atop of the Division. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Pressure HAS to come from Inside this game. There is no ifs ands or buts about it. 

The DEs rush up the field 3-4 yards and Contain. Cannot allow Lamar Jackson to slide in between the DT and DE to escape because the DE got to far up the field. 

Oliver and Phillips or those inside games have to be where the Pressure is from. 

With Lamar being 6’2 212 you can spy him with a DB. Normally people would call for Milano to pull that duty but I want him able to cover Mark Andrews so the Spy duties shift to a DB. 

Tre White follows Brown all over the field. I feel fine with our rotation at 2CB handling Snead   

I feel pretty confident in our Pass Defense Matchups as long as they can keep Lamar in the Pocket. 

on Offense 

Protect Allen. Also he should run a bunch early when Ravens in Man IF we can gash them early with Allen’s legs on man Pressed pass plays it should have the affect of Pulling Ravens DBs out of their man concepts and put them in Zones. 

Running is going to be tough sledding BUT we have to keep at it just to keep Defense honest. 

no turnovers have to make Baltimore’s Offense really earn their points. 

also take points when you get them because Baltimore have been a Front running Team. If we can get on top early We can’t take their Run Concepts out of the game. 

shorten the game. Sustain drives keeping that Offense off the field. (Ala SB25 like Giants did to us). 

if we can do those things consistently I think we win a close game. I do not see a blowout from either side. 

SHOCK THE WORLD AND ANNOUNCE YOURSELF AT 10-3 and climb to a Tie at atop of the Division. 

This is all perfectly reasonable.  I like the idea of playing with an extra DB.  Get more speed on the field.  

On 11/30/2019 at 3:29 PM, ChicagoRic said:

Interesting article on this.  You don't blitz Lamar Jackson often and you don't key on his runs.  You flood the field with DBS/Speed guys.  https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/theres-a-blueprint-for-stopping-lamar-jackson-but-teams-arent-using-it/

The only The only problem with this, they haven't had to do it, is you could put the game on mark Ingram shoulders, he is a big physical beast.

47 minutes ago, Chuck Schick said:

I would like to see Johnson get some more snaps at DE.   I’m scared to death of what Lamar will do to Trent Murphy, or even Shaq to a lesser extent. 

Don't count on it this Sunday.  Johnson is notorious for losing contain and other teams have taken advantage of it every time he's been on the field.  Wouldn't be surprised to see him inactive on Sunday - he's just not a fully baked cookie.

• Like (+1) 1

Offense -- get on the edges of Baltimore's D...that's where they are susceptible.

Defense -- pray that our DEs can contain the edge, and I'd like to see some DB blitzes as well.

I'm actually pretty confident in McD's ability to gameplan and I don't the Ravens will score more than 24 unless we help them with TOs or bad ST play.

Anybody had the chance to go back and look to see what the Browns did to beat them so convincingly? 

The box score shows they got in front early (7-0, 10-7, 24-10 were the scores after first 3 quarters).  

Jackson went 24/34 for 247yds 3/2 TD/INT. He ran for another 66 at 7.3 a pop. 

Ingram went 71 yards at 5.9 per attempt. 

The TEs caught a total of 7 balls for 79. 

Cleveland had a 99 yard, 8:31 minute drive resulting in a TD in the 1st quarter.

Total time of possession couldn't have been much closer - 30:17 to 29:43 in the Browns favour. By quarter:

First - 9:59 to 5:01 Browns

Second - 7:52 to 7:08 Browns

Third - 6:52 to 8:08 Ravens

Fourth - 5:34 to 9:26 Ravens

I think the above pretty much backs up what you guys have been suggesting so far. 

On 12/2/2019 at 1:11 PM, Mikey152 said:

Historically, the best defense against Lamar was in the playoffs last year, and it was...unconventional.

The Chargers played the vast majority of the game with SEVEN dbs on the field...they basically had safeties playing lb.  the idea is to increase the athleticism on the field so you can run with Lamar and cover their TE.  You are vulnerable to a power run game, so you have to be aggressive on running downs.

That worked against last year's Lamar and last year's Ravens offense, neither of which resembles this year's model. That offense was thrown together almost overnight after Flacco went down, and Lamar was not nearly skilled enough as a passer to make up for its shortcomings. But play seven DBs now, and half of them might end up on IR. They sometimes put 900 pounds of blockers in the backfield with Lamar.

What no team has done consistently is something several of you have mentioned: have your edge guy commit to tacking Lamar on every option. Forget the RB; take your chances that your interior line can control him. You cannot let Lamar have the edge. On pass plays, the TEs are definitely the strength; all three can find the holes in the zone, run good routes, and have good/great hands. They've also been using Ingram more in the passing game recently, which they should have done sooner.

Against the Ravens defense: I don't think you have the edge blockers and speed back that allowed the 49ers to run so well, and running up the middle doesn't work. The pass rush isn't great, with many of the sacks due to coverage by the very strong secondary. Allen will have to make quick decisions and take what's available. They'll probably try to bottle him up with a disciplined pass rush, as they did sucessfully with Watson a couple weeks ago. They will definitely try to confuse him with fake blitzes and last-second alignment changes. After looking like garbage through week 4, they're at least a top 10 unit now.

• Thank you (+1) 1