Josh Allen - week TWELVE report card

rayray808

I typically think you tend to grade Josh way too easily...but I agree with this one. Might've even gone B+.

I don't care much about the INT, I care more about trying to make winning plays and how he comes back from throwing a pick. 

I'm hoping that what sounds like this shift into letting Josh be himself while also making improvements in his game is what's leading to this. What scared me the most about what I saw this season wasn't necessarily the regression on his deep ball or at times the inaccuracy on intermediate throws...it was the total deer in the headlights look against the Pats where it looked like the moment was too big for him and he didn't handle his poor start well. 

I like that he's come back from some low moments this season and hopefully revving up his game in this latter part of the year. I'd love to see that deep ball come back though and give us some more Robert Foster too! 

• Like (+1) 1

Watching the Dallas vs Pats game... it just makes me realize how elite Josh Allen’s arm is. Two very good QBs. Dak has a good NFL arm but Josh’s ball just has double the velocity. He fits throws in windows no one else can. Just wait because he is gonna do some crazy things!

• Awesome! (+1) 1

A , really moved the ball against a d that was his toughest test possibly this season. Great reads, sat in the pocket made plays, great agility on that one play to avoid like everyone. 

I didn’t even mind the pick, possibly was due to weather but losing Beasley the play before I think possibly deflated the team for a second. Josh possibly felt like having to really make a play on his own.

i said it in another thread Beasley is such an important part of this team losing him would be awful. 

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, loveorhatembillsfan4life said:

A , really moved the ball against a d that was his toughest test possibly this season. Great reads, sat in the pocket made plays, great agility on that one play to avoid like everyone. 

I didn’t even mind the pick, possibly was due to weather but losing Beasley the play before I think possibly deflated the team for a second. Josh possibly felt like having to really make a play on his own.

i said it in another thread Beasley is such an important part of this team losing him would be awful. 

Thats an interesting take... how do we know someone wasnt just out of position or otherwise miscommunication? Seems the most plausible.

I could see that being exasperated if beasely was on the sidelines.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, VW82 said:

B+

He should have been picked for the second time on that throw that went right through the DB's hands and hit his teammate in the back. But it was windy and Josh also made some great throws. He's so effective with Singletary running the read option. He gave us 241 yards in 34 plays and kept the offense moving. We can win playoff games when he plays like this.

Most DBs if they could catch well would be WRs.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, hemma said:

I'd like to think our own team would know the snapcount.

At any rate, going no huddle + Daboll in the box seems to be the way to go.

B+

They had a revamped OL in the game...a new Center and a new RT...So give them a break.

His scrambling has become really underrated because he does it so often and seemingly so easily which it's not. As far as total quarterbacking goes he makes plays that virtually no one else makes, or maybe just 1-3 others can make, that we take for granted. Was there three or four 3rd and ten or mores that he converted. Who does that? 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

I typically think you tend to grade Josh way too easily...but I agree with this one. Might've even gone B+.

I don't care much about the INT, I care more about trying to make winning plays and how he comes back from throwing a pick. 

This! We can debate the pick all day long and get nowhere, but it wasn't the pick that mattered; it was the response. Peak Josh Allen is still going to make some head scratching throws IMO. I don't care. How do you respond? If you're the real deal, you shake it off and keep it moving. He did that today and that is going to be crucial going forward.

2 hours ago, Stank_Nasty said:

Really odd play right? I havnt seen a decent replay. Any solid explanation for it other than maybe just a complete communication breakdown or freak weird trajectory? Hard to get real upset about it.... just seemed real odd 

Josh faked a handoff to the RB on the play. Literally had to rip the ball out of the RBs hands. I was thinking his grip on the ball was not right when he let loose that errant pass. Just speculation. It was a horrible floater which is highly unusual for him. Whatever the reason, not really worried, seemed kinda fluky.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Rockinon said:

Josh faked a handoff to the RB on the play. Literally had to rip the ball out of the RBs hands. I was thinking his grip on the ball was not right when he let loose that errant pass. Just speculation. It was a horrible floater which is highly unusual for him. Whatever the reason, not really worried, seemed kinda fluky.

Right. Anomalous sort of deal at this point. 

A- because of the bad INT.  If not for that this was an A+ QB performance. 

A great QB performance is not necessarily about 350 yard games where you complete 75% of your passes.  It was a cold & windy day which will reduce the stat line for any QB.  Look at how the Broncos QB struggled to deal with a gusting win.  But to me what made this a great QB outing by Allen was:

*  He can handle the wind.  His balls cut threw it and whether we were going into the wind of against the wind we moved the ball and he completed passes.

*  He threw 2 beautiful TD passes in a game where we held the opponent to 3 points.  That means you win the game.

*  He led 2 masterful long FG drives where we started inside our own 10 yard line.  And on a 3rd drive starting inside our 10 we got out to the 50 yard line and flipped the field.  This is how you win late season wind games in Orchard Park.

*  As another poster pointed out Allen is ELITE at getting out of trouble and avoiding the sack.  His big runs that led to a couple of 3rd & long conversions are another skill that is needed in cold, windy late season games at New Era Field. 

Allen was more then a "game manager" today.  He was an integral part of the offense that dominated TOP and field position and rolled up over 400 yards.  The 20 points were more then enough to win the game comfortably.  This is what we are.  And Allen will get his 300 yard game and it will probably be in a losing cause. 

44 minutes ago, Rockinon said:

The CBS broadcast was such a joke yesterday.  They never reviewed and replayed that play to show what really happened.

I’m pretty hard on Allen and don’t excuse his weaknesses and even I think a B is selling short the game he had today.

He had a few bad throws but worked within the offense and did everything asked of him with the game plan devised today.

His performances the last 5-6 weeks have given me hope that he can become the guy we need him to be.

• Like (+1) 1

I remember when Joe Cribbs was our running back and Joe Ferguson our QB. I admired all those pros when I was a kid but was heartbroken on how bad the team was at the time.  Then came Jim Kelly and there was NO singular telltale sign that he would be a HOF QB, but what was noticeable for me was that there was something special about him (maybe he is the answer I thought at the time).  Been hoping for that feeling again for a long time and Josh Allen might be doing something similar.  You can see he is a baller and it seems his progression is moving in the right direction.  It makes me excited to see where this team go with him as the QB.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

8 hours ago, rayray808 said:

The last time the Bills were 8-3 was the year Josh Allen was born... messiah?

50 minutes ago, ganesh said:

Also, the last season for Jim Kelly.   

So you two maniacs are claiming that the football gods drained Jimbo's QB mojo in May of 1996 and injected  it into the newborn baby Josh Allen?  Really?

I can totally get onboard with that, and would like to subscribe to your newsletter.  

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Tenhigh said:

So you two maniacs are claiming that the football gods drained Jimbo's QB mojo in May of 1996 and injected  it into the newborn baby Josh Allen?  Really?

I can totally get onboard with that, and would like to subscribe to your newsletter.  

My grandmother always used to say that  there are No coincidences..things happen always for a reason !!!!

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, ganesh said:

The CBS broadcast was such a joke yesterday.  They never reviewed and replayed that play to show what really happened.

Yea, that kinda sucked. I just happened to be paying attention during the play. Was wishing I could see it again myself.