Can the Detractors Now Admit Allen's Growth?

H2o

Just now, transplantbillsfan said:

It's not just today, though.

In the last 6 games since the NE game Allen has 10 passing TDs, 1 INT along with 4 rushing TDs and 1 lost fumble.

So in 6 games, Allen has accounted for 14 TDs and 2 Turnovers.

These numbers are correct but he has played safe in too many of those games. Today he was trusting his eyes and throwing what he saw. That led to a few ugly inaccurate passes here and there but look at the benefits we derived from it. 

I keep saying it. Let him throw. Let him play a bit of hero ball. He is a better QB when the game is in his hands. 

• Like (+1) 3

Seriously?  Allen sucked last week, the detractors screamed they were right.  He had a good week this week, his supporters are screaming they are right.

What both groups miss is that one game doesn't prove anything, either way.  You're all idiots.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, H2o said:

Against a team he was supposed to put up good numbers against, Allen comes through.

Stat line: 21-33 for 256 yards and 3 TD'S

7 carries for 56 yards and 1 TD

7.8 yards per att and 117.7 rtg

He was calm in the pocket, went to his 2nd and 3rd read, put a lot of passes right on the money so the WR could get YAC, beat the blitz on a number of occasions, used his legs when the opportunity presented itself, and he didn't throw an INT for the 5th straight game. The young man is growing as a QB and that should be evident to all. :thumbsup:

He just keeps getting better. It might not be a straight line, but he shows progress, so I’m happy!  Keep progressing, and we will (almost) all be happy!

(We all know there would be exceptions, and you might even be able to name them, but I can’t help that.) 

• Like (+1) 2

19 minutes ago, BillsFanSD said:

I like Allen and I'm pretty optimistic that we got our guy.  That said, nobody is going to change their mind over a big game against a bottom-feeder.  He'll have plenty of opportunities over the next six* weeks to show how far he's come.

* Really ten weeks of course.

Allen does this with literally 1 weapon (an elite #2 WR) but that curve doesn't get applied when evaluating him.  And the drop off from Brown (stop referring to Beasley, he's just ok) is phenomenally bad.  

I don't know how you watch this O and don't come away saying "man, if Allen gets a #1 WR," then you don't understand football.  

Also, I think in retrospect people need to reevaluate that Cleveland game.  Position to win with 3 mins left.  D allows 82 yard drive to lose. 

• Like (+1) 5

4 minutes ago, papazoid said:

josh is a winner, a gamer, never gives up, has the clutch gene as in he doesn't shrink in big moments.

i'm glad they drafted him

his first 300 yard game shows some growth

but we are beating last place teams, we've had the easiest schedule in the league for the first 10 games.

josh is ranked 29th in both passer rating and total qbr....thats not good enough.

He's getting better as the year goes on.  That's all I can ask for.

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

These numbers are correct but he has played safe in too many of those games. Today he was trusting his eyes and throwing what he saw. That led to a few ugly inaccurate passes here and there but look at the benefits we derived from it. 

I keep saying it. Let him throw. Let him play a bit of hero ball. He is a better QB when the game is in his hands. 

Yes I completely agree, but if the effect of reeling him in a little bit over the 1st half of the season to then unleash him in the 2nd half hoping some of the underlying value of protecting the football remains ingrained in him, I'm good with it.

But need to see if this continues.

• Like (+1) 1

Well, I am not among the Josh Allen haters, but the game today was one he needed to have.  Not just statistically, but he needed to make some big plays, something that just hadn't happened to this point of the season.  He has cut down greatly on mistakes, playing virtually mistake free today, but the first touchdown pass to Brown was the cherry on the sundae.

1 minute ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Yes I completely agree, but if the effect of reeling him in a little bit over the 1st half of the season to then unleash him in the 2nd half hoping some of the underlying value of protecting the football remains ingrained in him, I'm good with it.

But need to see if this continues.

For sure. The aim is the right balance. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

Allen does this with literally 1 weapon (an elite #2 WR) but that curve doesn't get applied when evaluating him.  And the drop off from Brown (stop referring to Beasley, he's just ok) is phenomenally bad.  

I don't know how you watch this O and don't come away saying "man, if Allen gets a #1 WR," then you don't understand football.  

Also, I think in retrospect people need to reevaluate that Cleveland game.  Position to win with 3 mins left.  D allows 82 yard drive to lose. 

It would have been considered another 4th QTR comeback for Josh if the D held on that 82 yard drive.

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

It is Dallas in 2 weeks. 

Denver

Dallas (Thurs)

Mini-bye

Baltimore

Pittsburgh

New England

NYJ

Got to have Denver next week. I think we will win but the team cannot look past that game. 

Absolutely. Denver next week at home is a game you have to win regardless of your remaining schedule.

Your playing a kid making his 3rd start , in a stadium that should be electric , in conditions that should be difficult. Yup , gotta win that one

No, not really. This was against the Dolphins, a team everyone would agree is in the bottom five (three?) of the league.

BUT....he's definitely getting needed experience, and appears to be getting better. We shall see how he performs against the good teams coming up on the schedule.

Nobody wants Allen to fail and to call out people who criticize him when he has one good game is ridiculous.

I thought he had an amazing day today but I still want to see it against a good team, and that rarely happens. Let's hope he has a Repeat Performance next week and then at least a respectable day vs Dallas. Along with Alan, I thought the offensive line had the best game of the year so far.

• Like (+1) 1