Can the Detractors Now Admit Allen's Growth?

H2o

3 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

How many screens, swing passes, dump offs, jet sweep passes, or WR screens did he throw today? One? two? Those are the plays that QBs complete that get their perecentages way up. 

Couple of bubble screen type plays to McKenzie and a pop pass. Think that was it. 

If Allen gets hot and stays hot (consistency is key) the Bills will be very tough to beat in the playoffs.   If he can get some confidence by getting into the playoffs and beating someone like the Texans, watch out.  A hot Allen and a hot defense and the Bills will be really tough.  You never know.

1 hour ago, H2o said:

Against a team he was supposed to put up good numbers against, Allen comes through.

Stat line: 21-33 for 256 yards and 3 TD'S

7 carries for 56 yards and 1 TD

7.8 yards per att and 117.7 rtg

He was calm in the pocket, went to his 2nd and 3rd read, put a lot of passes right on the money so the WR could get YAC, beat the blitz on a number of occasions, used his legs when the opportunity presented itself, and he didn't throw an INT for the 5th straight game. The young man is growing as a QB and that should be evident to all. :thumbsup:

but it was Miami and he didn't pass for 300

26 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

Absolutely. Denver next week at home is a game you have to win regardless of your remaining schedule.

Your playing a kid making his 3rd start , in a stadium that should be electric , in conditions that should be difficult. Yup , gotta win that one

You have to beat denver because we all know there's little evidence to say we will realistically win more than the jets and Broncos games, perhaps one of the others like other posters have said. 

Edited by london_bills

38 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

These numbers are correct but he has played safe in too many of those games. Today he was trusting his eyes and throwing what he saw. That led to a few ugly inaccurate passes here and there but look at the benefits we derived from it. 

I keep saying it. Let him throw. Let him play a bit of hero ball. He is a better QB when the game is in his hands. 

Almost as if he played... fearless

• Like (+1) 1

I would say he's had several bad to subpar games in a row, so the progress is not linear. It's not like this game was the culmination of previous week's growth.

What we saw is the offensive staff allowing a big play QB to make plays.

I don't know what to expect against better competition, but I know that something clicked with the team; the approach of asking such a player to "not make mistakes" was NEVER going to work.

I want to see it on a consistent basis, but I'm encouraged.

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

Seriously?  Allen sucked last week, the detractors screamed they were right.  He had a good week this week, his supporters are screaming they are right.

What both groups miss is that one game doesn't prove anything, either way.  You're all idiots.

Seems like it could be agreed that he has improved over last year, needs to continue to improve and is not a finished product.

The idiots are the ones that hold a position that he is a bust or a franchise QB.  The jury is out for the majority of fans.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, LSHMEAB said:

I would say he's had several bad to subpar games in a row, so the progress is not linear. It's not like this game was the culmination of previous week's growth.

What we saw is the offensive staff allowing a big play QB to make plays.

I don't know what to expect against better competition, but I know that something clicked with the team; the approach of asking such a player to "not make mistakes" was NEVER going to work.

I want to see it on a consistent basis, but I'm encouraged.

Read the post directly above yours. 

• Like (+1) 1

I liked that today he ran when he felt like running. That is part of his game and it makes no sense to restrict that. Maybe on a couple of his runs there was a play to be made in the passing game, I don't know, but let him be that kind of QB. One more thing for the defense to account for. It feels like the past few weeks he has been afraid to run.

• Like (+1) 4

The post game thread just hit 4 pages, as compared to last week when Not fans of the team fans where out in force, it’s real quiet today ?

39 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

Seriously?  Allen sucked last week, the detractors screamed they were right.  He had a good week this week, his supporters are screaming they are right.

What both groups miss is that one game doesn't prove anything, either way.  You're all idiots.

Don't hold back the shade-throwing - how do you really feel Tom? ?

Plenty of folks have been saying there will be good and bad games as Allen learns the ropes. Last week was rough with plenty of venting from everyone, and the Bills needed to shake things up.

I have a feeling McDermott was more actively involved in the game planning and self-scouting for both sides of the ball after last week. I think that is likely how they came up with Daboll in the booth and Frazier being uncharacteristically more aggressive on D.

4 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Read the post directly above yours. 

Yes. That doesn't convince me the previous games were "good outings." This was.

2 TD'S 0 picks is nice if you're consistently moving the ball down the field; which he did today. For all the talk of lack of rushes, part of that is by virtue of not making enough plays to keep drives alive; again, he did that today.

Are you telling me those outings were the building blocks for today? That the Cleveland game signaled progress? I would say that's incorrect. I would say the whole mentality shift from "'let's not mess up" to "let's go ball out" was key.

• Like (+1) 3