Can the Detractors Now Admit Allen's Growth?

H2o

4 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I’m a big Allen fan and believer, was even on draft night.  But I am going to be unbiased here.  

A thread like this is just as silly as a bash thread after one bad game.  I mean Allen and the offense were coming off a subpar performance, so seems premature to do a I told you so thread after beating up on a weak opponent this week.  

Keeping perspective:  1 game - vs a very bad team missing it’s 2 remaining best defensive players due to injury.  

Thrilled to see Allen and the offense have a great game.  But also not really a “I told you so” game either when we did what was expected of us.  

That being said, Allen has definitely progressed, and to me that was obvious even before this game today.  We got a much tougher schedule ahead of us, so let’s hope they build on today’s strong performance and keep growing.

Excited to see how he and this team performs down the stretch during the tough parts of our schedule.  

Great post

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, DC Tom said:

Seriously?  Allen sucked last week, the detractors screamed they were right.  He had a good week this week, his supporters are screaming they are right.

What both groups miss is that one game doesn't prove anything, either way.  You're all idiots.

I actually posted about this in the pregame thread.

By what criteria did Allen “suck” last week?  He was asked to carry the team on his arm, and he came within a few plays (made or not made on all 3 parts of the team) of answering the bell.  It actually took me a while to go back and really watch the Browns game because of all the “sucks” clamor and when I did, I was actually pleasantly surprised by a lot of what I saw.  There were several poor decisions, but there was also a lot of standing in, making his reads, making reasonable decisions about where to go with the ball.  There were about 7 plays through the game where a catchable ball was not hauled in either due to stout defense, uncalled DPI, or it being beyond the skill level of what our players can handle (but not beyond what I see elsewhere each week).  

He isn’t anywhere close to where he wants to be, or where we need him to be, but between last year and this year?  Damn straight there’s progress.

And it’s easier to see in this week’s game, because of the success.

That’s what the subject of this thread is: not “did this game prove that Allen is Da Man”, but “can you look at this game, and admit that you see growth?”

There really should only be one answer to that, even if there are different conclusions (encouraged/positive about his future vs thinking he still falls short).

• Like (+1) 10
  • Thank you (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I’m a big Allen fan and believer, was even on draft night.  But I am going to be unbiased here.  

A thread like this is just as silly as a bash thread after one bad game.  I mean Allen and the offense were coming off a subpar performance, so seems premature to do a I told you so thread after beating up on a weak opponent this week.  

Keeping perspective:  1 game - vs a very bad team missing it’s 2 remaining best defensive players due to injury.  

Thrilled to see Allen and the offense have a great game.  But also not really a “I told you so” game either when we did what was expected of us.  

That being said, Allen has definitely progressed, and to me that was obvious even before this game today.  We got a much tougher schedule ahead of us, so let’s hope they build on today’s strong performance and keep growing.

Excited to see how he and this team performs down the stretch during the tough parts of our schedule.  

Yep.  Very well said.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, london_bills said:

Yes I agree with everything you've said. He checked into a good run that beat the Blitz and showed a vet throw to make an easier field goal on a field goal drive. Probably his best game as a Bill. 

There are things to consider aswell. It was the Dolphins of which Allen has always played well and there were a couple of quick 3 and outs with inaccurate passes that we tend to see more of on some days. This was a good day in the main! . Lets keep it balanced. 

Yeah and I just Tom Brady do the same thing this afternoon vs Eagles.

This was the first game in Allen's entire two years that he got consistent good pass blocking. And he had four TDs, no sacks, no turnovers, and we scored 37 points. Yes, the Fins stink and that was a big point. But it is an equal point that he gets crappy blocking a lot. He got great blocking for the first time and played very well, more confident, more efficient, etc. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, H2o said:

Against a team he was supposed to put up good numbers against, Allen comes through.

Stat line: 21-33 for 256 yards and 3 TD'S

7 carries for 56 yards and 1 TD

7.8 yards per att and 117.7 rtg

He was calm in the pocket, went to his 2nd and 3rd read, put a lot of passes right on the money so the WR could get YAC, beat the blitz on a number of occasions, used his legs when the opportunity presented itself, and he didn't throw an INT for the 5th straight game. The young man is growing as a QB and that should be evident to all. :thumbsup:

Start stacking games like this together and the people trying to make their pre draft narrative stick will go by the wayside

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

IDK, the thread is about Allen's growth. 

This is the most complete 4qtr game he has played as a pro. From prior weeks up until this week I see development or growth overall.  It's a decent thread to talk about it. 

Next phase would be the consistency or carry over. I hope to see a similar performance against the Broncos. Even last week against the Browns I felt he played decent. O was sluggish overall but he did pop us in a position to win the game late in the 4th qtr. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Agree, I wonder if you only looked at passes from say 8 to 20 yards how his completion percentage would compare.

Today? Roughly 9/14.  So about 64.2%.  Allen is top 10 in completion% between the 10-20 yard mark.

Edited by Scott7975

2 hours ago, H2o said:

Against a team he was supposed to put up good numbers against, Allen comes through.

Stat line: 21-33 for 256 yards and 3 TD'S

7 carries for 56 yards and 1 TD

7.8 yards per att and 117.7 rtg

He was calm in the pocket, went to his 2nd and 3rd read, put a lot of passes right on the money so the WR could get YAC, beat the blitz on a number of occasions, used his legs when the opportunity presented itself, and he didn't throw an INT for the 5th straight game. The young man is growing as a QB and that should be evident to all. :thumbsup:

How about 13 total touchdowns and 0 interceptions in the last 5 games.  That's pretty good for all you non allen folks. :)

• Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Formerly Allan in MD said:

He improved today.  However, his out passes remain quite problematic.

I don’t want to sound like an a**hole, but it seems to me for all Buffalo fans that nothing is ever good enough, and you guys look for stuff to complain about , don’t get me wrong there’s been plenty to complain about for this organization, but Allen is only 23 and has played only 15-16 games as a starter. We have to let him grow and work through the growing pains, look at Cam Newton in the beginning. How long did it take for the panthers to make the playoffs when they drafted Newton and how long did it take for it to finally click for newton? Same thing with Steve Young. After a couple of years in the league Guy was listed as a draft bust out of Tampa and ends up becoming a Hall of Famer in San Francisco and becomes the man that ran Montana out of town. In a way the same thing could be said about Vinny Testaverde, you have to give these guys time To adapt and grow this team will never win if we keep playing the carousel of quarterbacks like we’ve been doing since 1999 and even when we had Doug Flutie. We can’t keep giving these guys one or two years and then throwing them on the street, i’ve watch this organization ruin many careers because of their incompetence of the quarterback position.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Boca BIlls said:

Wait 1 game? I want consistency... EVERYONE wants consistency. ***** people put up these attack threads over 1 game, its pathetic.

But in some ways Allen has been very consistent - consistently good.  Two stats that come to mind:

*  Allen has had 6 straight games scoring at least 2 TD's.  This places him among some rarefied QB company.

*  Allen has gone 5 games without throwing an INT.  This is another mark of consistency.  Sure he needs to improve in some other areas of his game but it's not all on him.  He needs more help on O.  But bottom line is that he's become more consistent in some pretty critical QB metrics.

• Like (+1) 3

15 minutes ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

I don’t want to sound like an a**hole, but it seems to me for all Buffalo fans that nothing is ever good enough, and you guys look for stuff to complain about , don’t get me wrong there’s been plenty to complain about for this organization, but Allen is only 23 and has played only 15-16 games as a starter. We have to let him grow and work through the growing pains, look at Cam Newton in the beginning. How long did it take for the panthers to make the playoffs when they drafted Newton and how long did it take for it to finally click for newton? Same thing with Steve Young. After a couple of years in the league Guy was listed as a draft bust out of Tampa and ends up becoming a Hall of Famer in San Francisco and becomes the man that ran Montana out of town. In a way the same thing could be said about Vinny Testaverde, you have to give these guys time To adapt and grow this team will never win if we keep playing the carousel of quarterbacks like we’ve been doing since 1999 and even when we had Doug Flutie. We can’t keep giving these guys one or two years and then throwing them on the street, i’ve watch this organization ruin many careers because of their incompetence of the quarterback position.

See this is where i get lost. Yes Steve young stunk in tampa, peyton lead leauge in picks, jim kelly was 6-10 in year two these examples mean nothing. For every great turnaround there are many more busts. Josh will be josh he will write his own path and we will have to see where it goes good or bad we are all here for the ride!!

19 minutes ago, Hebert19 said:

Ps.  Wentz sucks. 

Man O Man.

I don't think Wentz sucks, but if there is such a thing as a clutch gene, he doesn't have it. 

Those erratic throws on the last possession were brutal. Not talking about the throw to Agholor. Talking about the gimmies he missed once they got within striking distance of the EZ. Awful.

Edited by LSHMEAB

Just now, LSHMEAB said:

Man O Man.

I don't think Wentz sucks, but if there is such a thing as a clutch gene, he doesn't have it. 

Those erratic throws on the last possession were brutal. Not talking about the throw to Jeffrey. Talking about the gimmies he missed once they got within striking distance of the EZ.

Ya.  He has world of talent but doesn't have 'it'  same with goff. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1