Anyone else getting concerned about our running game?

1 minute ago, John from Riverside said:

I think it was a combo of both.....but he simply looked to have no burst to the line and he stumbled on at least 2 of those runs

OK, agree to disagree. Gore is not one known for his ‘burst’, but for tough running. If there’s no daylight, there’s no daylight. He hit the whole like he always does from what I saw...there just wasn’t a whole. 

4 hours ago, MDH said:

I said it after the 3 stops at the goal line. Why don’t they spread the field and give it to Singletary on short yardage.

Thankfully Daboll was listening. ?

Except it too another stop on 4th and 1 before he learned his lesson.  

48 minutes ago, wvbillsfan said:

Third and a yard or less should be an automatic qb sneak. Allen is automatic on QB sneaks. 
Shoot he picked up one that was almost a full two yards. Wouldn’t recommend that often from that far out. 

Belicheater calls the sneak every stinking time it seems.  And it works every single time. 

4 hours ago, MDH said:

I said it after the 3 stops at the goal line. Why don’t they spread the field and give it to Singletary on short yardage.

Thankfully Daboll was listening. ?

I can’t believe it took him until 4th down to figure out that the best bet is to let Allen pick up the three inches.

42 minutes ago, peterpan said:

Except it too another stop on 4th and 1 before he learned his lesson.  

That nonsense was maddening. They ran the play even though a timeout was called.... and then came out and ran the same damn play.

I like our run game a lot better out of the shotgun right now, where Allen is probably more of a threat running it.

Not that I necessarily want JA running more, but having the D more concerned about him is beneficial. 

Short yardage was terrible today. Some of that was on the OL, but Gore had a terrible day and missed some lanes. Daboll going to him over and over again made no sense.

DS had 140 yards from what I heard,  and a TD, so no, not concerned. 

Go Bills!!!

Funny, I thought it was all Shady's fault the run game was sputtering?  Morse is so overrated.  He is a capable center but not even close to top 10 right now. He might not even be in the top 15.  Nsekhe is worse than Mills.  Mills was adequate in run blocking and piss poor in pass blocking.  Nsekhe sucks at both.  Spain has been regressing since week three. I wonder if the will give Ford or Long a few snaps at LG over the next few weeks.  When healthy, Ford should get the majority of RT snaps.  They have to know by season's end if he is the answer at RT.  Many on here already think he is a Guard only but we really don't know just yet.  If not they will need to sign or draft another OT.  Dawkins is barely above average LT and they will have a very hard time signing him to a long term deal. Someone will pay him top 5 money.  I would franchise him for a year in 2021 and then let him walk.  That way they are not making any long term commitment.  He will almost certainly hold out next year for a new contract. Bills should hold firm and make him play out his rookie deal.  

9 hours ago, Nick the Greek said:

You offer very little in the way of examples and insight as to why he’s so bad. 

Look at the career rankings of offenses coached by guru Doughball and you will see.  Always in the bottom third.   He's a lousy coordinator period. 

15 hours ago, matter2003 said:

No...they are not good on power runs...haven't been all year...they are near the bottom of the league at them...why they keep insisting on running them i don't know....go spread and run out of it if they have to...

They run the ball pretty effectively otherwise, just not when they go jumbo or tank and decide to bring everyone near the LOS

They insist because Daboll is an idiot. 

16 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Ha I agree. But the "run it more" people are just wrong. We did not lose last week because we passed too much. That was an idiotic argument. We lost last week because we couldn't stop the run. 

https://www.democratandchronicle.com/story/sports/football/nfl/bills/2019/11/03/buffalo-bills-beat-redskins-sean-mcdermott-says-team-work-in-progress-devin-singletary-josh-allen/4125094002/

How hard is it to gain one yard?

Really hard if you’re the Bills. They have been confronted with a third-and-1 situation 12 times this season and have made the first down just five times, gaining only three yards net. Add in fourth-and-1 and they’ve had that situation four times and made the first down twice, gaining just two yards. Not good.

As McDermott said, “and ones” were a problem in this game, specifically. It was most glaring in the second quarter when the Bills failed to gain an inch on first-, second-, and third-and-goal at the 1 — all Frank Gore runs — before Allen finally punched it across. Later, they failed on a fourth-and-1 attempt by Gore at the Redskins' 24.

Allen made a third-and-1 with a sneak in the first quarter, and he was stopped in the same situation on a sneak in the third on the play before Gore was stuffed on fourth down. And then in the fourth, on third-and-1, Gore lost three yards.

In every case, the Bills were bunched together at the line with multiple tight ends and could not win, rather than spread out the formation and attack into wider spaces. 

“At the end of the day, it’s your job to drive the guy off the ball, right?” McDermott said. “So we’ve got to look at that.”

What McDermott and offensive coordinator Brian Daboll really need to be looking at is changing their approach and using more spread formations on short yardage plays. Just ask their own defensive players, which I did.

When safety Jordan Poyer sees the “big people” come on the field on third-and-short, he loves it. “Of course you do because you can kind of narrow down the types of plays they’re going to run,” he said. “Especially if they’ve been running them all game and they’ve been successful. To me it’s always easier to play third-and-1 when they bring bigger guys on the field than it is to play when they spread you out and force you to probably play man.”

Linebacker Lorenzo Alexander said, “It can be (tougher against spread out formations), depending on who the quarterback is and what type of weapons they have on the outside. I think at the end of the day, the core of it is, (the offense) saying, ‘We’re tougher than you and we’re going to knock you off the ball and get this first down.’ It’s mindset football, it’s an old-school way of thinking.”

All of those short yardage runs were bad playcalling. 

After getting stuffed on short yardage about 3 times....you probably might want to throw in a playaction or just pass the ball....but to see another 6 or 7 of those after....

I wanted to pull my hair out.

1 minute ago, dave mcbride said:

https://www.democratandchronicle.com/story/sports/football/nfl/bills/2019/11/03/buffalo-bills-beat-redskins-sean-mcdermott-says-team-work-in-progress-devin-singletary-josh-allen/4125094002/

How hard is it to gain one yard?

Really hard if you’re the Bills. They have been confronted with a third-and-1 situation 12 times this season and have made the first down just five times, gaining only three yards net. Add in fourth-and-1 and they’ve had that situation four times and made the first down twice, gaining just two yards. Not good.

As McDermott said, “and ones” were a problem in this game, specifically. It was most glaring in the second quarter when the Bills failed to gain an inch on first-, second-, and third-and-goal at the 1 — all Frank Gore runs — before Allen finally punched it across. Later, they failed on a fourth-and-1 attempt by Gore at the Redskins' 24.

Allen made a third-and-1 with a sneak in the first quarter, and he was stopped in the same situation on a sneak in the third on the play before Gore was stuffed on fourth down. And then in the fourth, on third-and-1, Gore lost three yards.

In every case, the Bills were bunched together at the line with multiple tight ends and could not win, rather than spread out the formation and attack into wider spaces. 

“At the end of the day, it’s your job to drive the guy off the ball, right?” McDermott said. “So we’ve got to look at that.”

What McDermott and offensive coordinator Brian Daboll really need to be looking at is changing their approach and using more spread formations on short yardage plays. Just ask their own defensive players, which I did.

When safety Jordan Poyer sees the “big people” come on the field on third-and-short, he loves it. “Of course you do because you can kind of narrow down the types of plays they’re going to run,” he said. “Especially if they’ve been running them all game and they’ve been successful. To me it’s always easier to play third-and-1 when they bring bigger guys on the field than it is to play when they spread you out and force you to probably play man.”

Linebacker Lorenzo Alexander said, “It can be (tougher against spread out formations), depending on who the quarterback is and what type of weapons they have on the outside. I think at the end of the day, the core of it is, (the offense) saying, ‘We’re tougher than you and we’re going to knock you off the ball and get this first down.’ It’s mindset football, it’s an old-school way of thinking.”

I don't have the numbers right in front of me but I am certain I have read somewhere that league wide the past 5 years teams facing 3rd or 4th and 3 yards or fewer convert a higher percentage passing than they do running.

Just now, GunnerBill said:

I don't have the numbers right in front of me but I am certain I have read somewhere that league wide the past 5 years teams facing 3rd or 4th and 3 yards or fewer convert a higher percentage passing than they do running.

McDermott’s quote is alarming in its stone-agedness and makes me think he’s possibly forcing Daboll into this sort of playcalling. 

• Like (+1) 1