Darnold played so bad tonight he basically gave the Pats Defense it’s new Name.

Protocal69

4 hours ago, cage said:

Darnold went 11-of-32 for a career-low 86 yards, was sacked once for a loss of 13 yards and tied a career-high with four interceptions against the NFL's best defense.  This board would be on page 32 of this thread already if Allen had a game like that.... add another 10 pages and 3 separate threads that would need to be shut down on a mic'ed up comment about "seeing ghosts"

I know I am incredible late to the party, but I am sorry and I can't help thinking about it.

...what if Allen didn't go down against the Pats? 

The idea that they could have won that game is just starting to hurt more and more as the season goes on.  Throw in that the kid as of now has 4 fourth quarter comebacks this season.

• Thank you (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Still fairly high on him but that was one of the worst qb displays I have ever seen.  The sign of a franchise qb is how you bounce back next game.

If I'm a Jets fan I'm hanging my hat on this.  I think he will bounce back.  You can't look at this game in isolation but have to think about the excellent game he had a week earlier against Dallas.  But with that being said, Darnolds game last night was bad and the margin for error for the Jets is now lower and there's a chance he doesn't recover from this. 

As an aside those who keep acting as if Allen & Darnold had similar bad games against the Pats are wrong.  Allen never looked as lost & helpless as Darnold did.  Three of the four Darnold INT's were hideous throws to no one.  Allen's 3 INT's were bad decisions but were aggressive down field throws.  Darnold's throws last night suggested fear to me.  Allen's throws suggested bad judgment and a guy who was pissed off he wasn't hitting big downfield plays.

And the Allen led TD drive at the start of the 3rd quarter where he went 6 - 6 for 69 yards was way better then anything the Jets could muster.  And if the Bill's offense got HALF the calls that the Jet's Offense got we would have won that game.  It really did seem like the refs were trying to help the Jets move the ball down the field with multiple ticky tacky penalties on the Pats D.

Edited by CincyBillsFan
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, cage said:

Darnold went 11-of-32 for a career-low 86 yards, was sacked once for a loss of 13 yards and tied a career-high with four interceptions against the NFL's best defense.  This board would be on page 32 of this thread already if Allen had a game like that.... add another 10 pages and 3 separate threads that would need to be shut down on a mic'ed up comment about "seeing ghosts"

Speaking as one who deals with it....you probably under-estimate the meltdown by 2x. 

Sam Darnold looked awful in his presser after the game.  He reminded me of how Trent Edwards used to look in some of his pressers after a poor game - the same flat affect, the beaten look, the air of hopelessness, the sad "have to watch film" statements.  Some here thought he looked as though he were crying.  He did not look like a tough competitor who got knocked down but is more determined and has even more "fire in his belly" because of it.  It made me wonder just how much adversity he's ever had to deal with in his Capistrano to USC to #3 pick short life.

I do kind of wonder what Allen's post game presser would have been like after the Jets game.  Reportedly he spent a good bit of time sitting in front of his locker just staring into space, which could have been the shot he took.  Thanks to concussion protocol, he did not have to face the press.  Thanks to our defense, though, he did not have to deal with anything near that bad as far as a team meltdown.  And of course while bad....before the concussion he did lead us to 179 yds offense and a TD and was driving again... his turnovers were bad mistakes while making aggressive throws.  It was Bad but not Epically

7 hours ago, Protocal69 said:

The Boggeyman Defense. It will have you seeing Ghosts. 

Someone should ask Josh Allen tomorrow if he ever saw ghost playing against the Pats.

If I recall, one of the Pats* defenders started this nickname a few weeks ago, but Darnold saying he saw ghosts while he was mic'd up, will definitely give it legs.

1 hour ago, eball said:

I dunno, I think the sign of a franchise QB is never looking that scared and spooked on the field in the first place.  Good lord.  It was so painful to watch I actually felt sorry for the kid.

At least Allen was running around trying to make plays, even if his decisions were suspect.

Seriously. There was a series where he made 3 sideline throws in a row and you couldn't even tell who he was throwing to. One of them landed in the stands and he was not trying to throw it away on purpose.  He was totally melting down in that game. Trith is, it was the only reason I kept watching the game, I wanted to see how bad he would get.  :)

1 hour ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

I know I am incredible late to the party, but I am sorry and I can't help thinking about it.

...what if Allen didn't go down against the Pats? 

The idea that they could have won that game is just starting to hurt more and more as the season goes on.  Throw in that the kid as of now has 4 fourth quarter comebacks this season.

The thing is, and I suppose I will sound somewhat paranoid...

We were talking about this in the game day thread last night (no, not how paranoid I am, we were busy watching the train wreck)

It seems to be part of Belicheck's strategy with young QB, especially young QB in his division, to try his best to crush their confidence and own their souls.

If he cant break them mentally, he will break them physically.

Allen made it clear with that TD drive, then driving again, he was not mentally broken.  So Belicheck tried to break him physically and succeeded in knocking him out.  Allen MUST not put himself in harms way like that against the Patriots again.

• Awesome! (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

We were talking about this in the game day thread last night. 

It seems to be part of Belicheck's strategy with young QB, especially young QB in his division, to try his best to crush their confidence and own their souls.

Allen made it clear with that TD drive, then driving again, he was not mentally broken.  So Belicheck tried to break him physically and succeeded in knocking him out.  Allen MUST not put himself in harms way like that.

I gave you an "awesome", Hap.  

The accuracy of your comment, however annoying to us all as Bills fans, was still worthy of it.  ?...?

1 hour ago, eball said:

I dunno, I think the sign of a franchise QB is never looking that scared and spooked on the field in the first place.  Good lord.  It was so painful to watch I actually felt sorry for the kid.

At least Allen was running around trying to make plays, even if his decisions were suspect.

Yeah, I can’t argue that he wasn’t anything but terrible.  But good QBs have had terrible games.  I think Romo threw 5 ints against us.  Big Ben has some terrible games.

but yeah, it was an all time bad performance.  It’s crazy but he looked so good against Dallas the week before.  But as I have said with Allen, the key to being a franchise qb is being consistent. Darnold seems to have some real highs and lows so far.

The interesting thing about this season, with 3 of the class of 2018 1st round QBs in the AFC East & the schedule having the East play the AFC North is that NE plays all 5 2018 1st round QBs.  They'll probably make them all look pretty bad.  That's what NE does to young QBs.  It doesn't mean anything long-term.  I guess today is a day for Bills fans to point to Darnold and laugh.  Next week it will be Baker Mayfield's turn to look bad with Jackson not that far behind on the schedule.  The best thing for fans to do after their 2nd year QB looks like garbage against NE is R-E-L-A-X.  The 2019 Patriots may be one of the greatest Ds of all time.  Fortunately, nobody has to play them every week.  

14 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Yeah, I can’t argue that he wasn’t anything but terrible.  But good QBs have had terrible games.  I think Romo threw 5 ints against us.  Big Ben has some terrible games.

but yeah, it was an all time bad performance.  It’s crazy but he looked so good against Dallas the week before.  But as I have said with Allen, the key to being a franchise qb is being consistent. Darnold seems to have some real highs and lows so far.

In what was the worst game of his Super Bowl season, Joe Namath was horrible vs the Bills.  Sometimes a QB just has a bad day.  Unfortunately NE's D is giving their opponent's QB his bad day every week. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

The interesting thing about this season, with 3 of the class of 2018 1st round QBs in the AFC East & the schedule having the East play the AFC North is that NE plays all 5 2018 1st round QBs.  They'll probably make them all look pretty bad.  That's what NE does to young QBs.  It doesn't mean anything long-term.  I guess today is a day for Bills fans to point to Darnold and laugh.  Next week it will be Baker Mayfield's turn to look bad with Jackson not that far behind on the schedule.  The best thing for fans to do after their 2nd year QB looks like garbage against NE is R-E-L-A-X.  The 2019 Patriots may be one of the greatest Ds of all time.  Fortunately, nobody has to play them every week.  

We are of course blessed, to have to run into them 2x. However, I bet the Patsies aren't exactly licking their chops at the prospect of playing the Bills again this year--no gimme games ever given up by McD so far to the evil empire. 

1 hour ago, PlayoffsPlease said:

People are criticizing Sam.  But once he harnesses his sixth sense, he will be unstoppable. 

“Mono-Man with his trusty sidekick: I took less money for this?!”

32 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

We were talking about this in the game day thread last night (no, not how paranoid I am, we were busy watching the train wreck)

Allen made it clear with that TD drive, then driving again, he was not mentally broken.  So Belicheck tried to break him physically and succeeded in knocking him out.  Allen MUST not put himself in harms way like that against the Patriots again.

*in emperors voice* “Good, good. Now finish him!”

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Speaking as one who deals with it....you probably under-estimate the meltdown by 2x. 

Sam Darnold looked awful in his presser after the game.  He reminded me of how Trent Edwards used to look in some of his pressers after a poor game - the same flat affect, the beaten look, the air of hopelessness, the sad "have to watch film" statements.  Some here thought he looked as though he were crying.  He did not look like a tough competitor who got knocked down but is more determined and has even more "fire in his belly" because of it.  It made me wonder just how much adversity he's ever had to deal with in his Capistrano to USC to #3 pick short life.

I do kind of wonder what Allen's post game presser would have been like after the Jets game.  Reportedly he spent a good bit of time sitting in front of his locker just staring into space, which could have been the shot he took.  Thanks to concussion protocol, he did not have to face the press.  Thanks to our defense, though, he did not have to deal with anything near that bad as far as a team meltdown.  And of course while bad....before the concussion he did lead us to 179 yds offense and a TD and was driving again... his turnovers were bad mistakes while making aggressive throws.  It was Bad but not Epically

He was litteraly crying in the locker room after the game and telling people he *****in sucks.

37 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

It was more than just a bad game.  It was an unmitigated disaster on the national stage, a laughing-stock performance.  I think he's a bum.  If he doesn't turn it around 180 degrees in Jacksonville, he's pretty much done.  And the NY media are going to be RELENTLESS.

Edited by mannc

3 minutes ago, mannc said:

It was more than just a bad game.  It was an unmitigated disaster on the national stage, a laughing-stock performance.  I think he's a bum.  If he doesn't turn it around 180 degrees in Jacksonville, he's pretty much done.  And the NY media are going to be RELENTLESS.

That’s fair. I believe Romo had 5 ints on MNG against us.  It will be interesting to see how he bounces back.

5 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

That’s fair. I believe Romo had 5 ints on MNG against us.  It will be interesting to see how he bounces back.

I was at the Romo 5 pick game and he actually played pretty well.  He kept slinging it and brought the Cowboys back to win the game.  Darnold, on the other hand, curled up in a ball, in a catatonic state.  Not even remotely comparable.

Edited by mannc

8 hours ago, Protocal69 said:

The Boggeyman Defense. It will have you seeing Ghosts. 

Someone should ask Josh Allen tomorrow if he ever saw ghost playing against the Pats.

They been calling themselves that since week 4 I think? They even made up a t shirt where the proceeds go to a charity.