Why the Zay Hate?

Virgil

11 hours ago, TwistofFate said:

He was targeted eight times yesterday and caught two passes on top of that he dropped another game-winning pass on a fourth down in the end zone. 

Recorded the game on DVR....just went back and watched the 4th down "drop" you reference above. Listen, I'm not saying Zay Jones is a great receiver, but to call that a drop is ridiculous. It was way too high, and he had a CB draped all over him.

What was really pathetic about that play was the design though. We had 2 WRs stacked on the left side, and both of them appeared to run in the same direction, so they were easily covered. It really gave Barkley no option as to where to go. And the back stayed in to block. Terrible looking play design.

McDermott hit in it today that the offensive guy can help out by also playing defense and fighting for those balls.

the deep route under thrown in the doesn’t make any adjustment to the ball 

the sideline play he didn’t even fight for the ball

that is what some of the hate is about

• Thank you (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, ILBillsfan said:

McDermott hit in it today that the offensive guy can help out by also playing defense and fighting for those balls.

the deep route under thrown in the doesn’t make any adjustment to the ball 

the sideline play he didn’t even fight for the ball

that is what some of the hate is about

Seriously, what do you people expect from the guy?!?!?!?!  If we won't even hop over a railing for JESUS what makes you think hes going to fight for a ball for Allen??

Bad joke, yeah I know. 

• Haha (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Seriously, what do you people expect from the guy?!?!?!?!  If we won't even hop over a railing for JESUS what makes you think hes going to fight for a ball for Allen??

Bad joke, yeah I know. 

3 minutes ago, frostbitmic said:

If he could fight for the ball like he fights for Jesus, we might have something.

these jokes about his mental health never ever get old. And two in a row! Did you two collaborate to double up just in case the first one didn’t land?

I will admit I think Zay gets a bad rap.  But yesterday, man.  You have to knock the ball down and prevent the int (and yes, Allen can’t throw it to begin with).  But he also dropped a low throw again (not the end zone one, that was a tough catch) that could have made a big difference.  Could Duke offer more?  I’m thinking yes.

1 minute ago, JoPar_v2 said:

these jokes about his mental health never ever get old. And two in a row! Did you two collaborate to double up just in case the first one didn’t land?

Bad jokes r us

But seriously, a WR's job is to catch the ball, he just isn't very good at that.

1 minute ago, JoPar_v2 said:

No, collaboration but I think that guy just ripped me off.  

Your capacity for outrage and self-righteous indignation makes you a good person. I can tell. 

• Haha (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Virgil said:

Can someone please tell me what Zay did, or didn’t do, yesterday to call for the hate?  I see people saying cut him immediately.  

I can’t remember a play with him where I thought he was the reason we sucked.  The guy isn’t even out there that much.  

Overall, he hasn’t lived up to his draft status and physical traits, but I don’t see how yesterday was the deal breaker.  

What am I missing?

Even Eric Wood called him out today. Needs to compete for the ball and become the defender when necessary. He said 3 of the INT's were on him. Spoke of Stevie Johnson getting ripped a new one by Fitz after he threw one up and Stevie let the defender take the ball away. Said Fitz told him fight for the ball or I cant trust you. He never fought for the ball yesterday. Never. That has been the issue with him all year. Even on the deep routs that he couldn't catch up to he doesn't appear to be laying it all out on the field. Makes me question, are they over thrown or under ran? Foster gets under them. Zay needs to sit until he wants to be the star.

12 hours ago, Virgil said:

Can someone please tell me what Zay did, or didn’t do, yesterday to call for the hate?  I see people saying cut him immediately.  

I can’t remember a play with him where I thought he was the reason we sucked.  The guy isn’t even out there that much.  

Overall, he hasn’t lived up to his draft status and physical traits, but I don’t see how yesterday was the deal breaker.  

What am I missing?

He speed is average and his hands are bad.  He runs lazy routes and is rarely open.  Watch him live in the stadium and you see he really sucks away from the ball. He has no compete, he is not smart, and he does not work hard.   He can’t play special teams either.  

This is his third season and he still has no football sense.  On the 3rd interception he really needed to play DB and knock the ball down.  In a post game interview he said something like this “I knew I could not catch it, I thought it might be for someone behind me so I let it go”.  

We have Foster and Duke Williams, let’s try one of them.  

Edited by Bob in STL

3 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

No, collaboration but I think that guy just ripped me off.  

Your capacity for outrage and self-righteous indignation makes you a good person. I can tell. 

Not an iota of outrage in my reply. It’s old news. It’s trite and boring at this point. There’s plenty of easy, recent fodder to use if you want to rip on Jones. But instead going back to ribbing on someone’s serious mental episode sure does make YOU seem like a good person. I can just tell.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Virgil said:

What am I missing?

10 targets, 2 catches. What is it you see good about him?

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Virgil said:

The TD pass was severely under thrown. His momentum wouldn’t have allowed him to come back for the call.  

Now you are going to make me find the videos and live the pain all over again. 

I’m not a Zay apologist as I was really hoping Foster would step up and replace him this year.  But I feel like people are placing their anger towards Zay instead of Allen for this game 

Yeah. This. Zay is not a good player, but there was little to nothing he could have done to prevent those picks OR catch that pass from Barkley. The Yeldon drop was ROUGH. That one was a killer despite the fact that they got the personal foul. The defender made a great play and got his hand in there, but I've seen that catch made enough times to know it's possible. Just killer. He catches that ball and we have the ball at the 2 or the 1 yard line.