Why the Zay Hate?

Virgil

20 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Basically it comes largely as an urge to throw as much blame as humanly possible away from Josh Allen. People think that if he's not to blame maybe it'll somehow make him become a franchise QB.

Scapegoating satisfies many deep human needs and Zay has been scapegoated since very early on, for good reason that first year, not quite so much afterwards.

It also has to do with Zay's draft spot.

Nor were people thrilled about the hotel window incident or missing most of two training camps with injury.

OK… Josh has been good at times and bad at times.  Zay has been bad most of time, but has also made a few clutch catches.  I don't care if he was drafted first over all or was picked up in the 7th round.  That doesn't change my opinion.  I don't think Zay is good.  I think he is pretty bad actually.  I have no hate for the dude, I just don't think he is a good receiver and the Bills should look to upgrade the position at the end of the season.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Zay has zero 100 yard games  Has he made one catch in his career that was a "special " play?  He struggles with routine catches typically trying to body catch everything.  Nothing special after the catch .  Doesnt compete for the football with more physical dbs  He's just another guy.  Not a difference maker and not a guy that can step up  when teams scheme to take away Brown/Beasley   He isn't magically going to get better because he hs never even shown a glimmer of anything out of the ordinary.  Soon as the Bills forget the sunk cost of the 2nd round pick and move on the better.

• Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

I personally do not think you can fault a guy when in games other players on his team are catching 30-50-80 yard touchdowns and your team is consistently scoring. It does not, in any way, mean you are not doing your job or disappearing. The decoy idea is a big laugh around here but I defy anyone to watch the Bills, Rams, or Cheifs games in total in All-22 and argue that safeties are not almost always aware of Watkins and defenses go out of their way to stop him. 

Old excuse.  This is three teams now that he played decoy on.  People try to stop Gronk and Edelman.  They still get their catches and yards.  People tried to stop Antonio Brown.  He still got his yards and catches.  Star receivers make plays almost every game.  Watkins makes plays a couple times a season.

3 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Maybe so, but if he had been a mid to late round pick or UDFA, he would probably have been stuck onto a PS and allowed to develop.

Instead he was thrown into the fire without anyone better on the roster to help him refine his craft or to draw the attention of the top DBs - until this season (John Brown)

All 3 seasons?  Explain for 2018 please (click postage stamp to embiggen to readable size), because Zay led the Bills in targets, receptions, and receiving yards last year.

image.thumb.png.8e8bdc2ee74d94b86205e68f58911c12.png

Still no.  Foster is faster and runs a much better deep route, but he doesn't have the full route tree.

McKittrick is being used as a specialized guy running jet sweeps and the like.  When he does get the chance to run regular routes, what has he done?

In 2018 Zay had 941 snap counts.  The next highest was Clay with 504 snap counts. Zay was simply more productive last season because he was on the field twice as much as any other receiver on the team.

For reference: https://fantasyfootballers.org/2018-snap-counts-targets-receptions-tool/

Edited by Scott7975
  • Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

In 2018 Zay had 941 snap counts.  The next highest was Clay with 504 snap counts. Zay was simply more productive last season because he was on the field twice as much as any other receiver on the team.

For reference: https://fantasyfootballers.org/2018-snap-counts-targets-receptions-tool/

for lack of any other receiver worth a piss. and Clay was broken. but Bills needed to still trot a lame horse out. 

some folks forget how much we sucked then, and how far we Bills have come since then.

sucked is being generous btw.

zay was/is one of them.

sorry kid. hope greener pastures await you