Why the Zay Hate?

Virgil

1 minute ago, CuddyDark said:

And the fans here hated him.

Woods?    IIRC, he was well-respected as a good #2 WR who blocked extremely well in the run game.   Made clutch catches all the time.

Still, when he hit FA, the Bills and most fans (myself included) didn't think he was worth the FA contract he signed with the Rams.   He's since proven that wrong..

• Thank you (+1) 1

He was supposed to have great hands, broke records in college, yada, yada. We haven’t really seen that guy. 

Then to not appear to make much effort when DBs are coming down with your passes... I feel like Bills fans can forgive a lot of things, but lack of effort isn’t on that list. 

Zay is one of what, 3 pieces that returned from last year’s offense? And yet every other aspect of the offense seems to have improved around him, including all those new pieces brought in on the OL, TE, RB, other WRs. 

Just now, Lurker said:

Woods?    IIRC, he was well-respected as a good #2 WR who blocked extremely well in the run game.   Made clutch catches all the time.

Still, when he hit FA, the Bills and most fans (myself included) didn't think he was worth the FA contract he signed with the Rams.   He's since proven that wrong..

Bills fans wanted him gone. Bills fans said he sucked. Bills fans said he wasn't worth a 2nd round pick. That's all they did was call shows and say he was a blocking receiver who adds no value to the receiving corps.

it seems to me the zay hate is coming from a combination of perceived lack of effort/desire to go the extra mile in both going up for catches and preventing interceptions....Bills fans want a guy who will fight for his team and the perception is he is soft in that area.just my opinion...it goes along with the perception that Duke Williams is a guy whom would do both hence the cries for Zays release. jmo. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Look, the Bills did not lose the Patriots game because of Zay Jones. They lost it because of Josh Allen.

Having said that, it's true they are not getting much from Jones. Maybe they should bench him or give his snaps to somebody else. Everyone here seems to think Duke Williams would be much better. I'm okay with trying that, or with trying Roberts, or McKenzie or somebody else. I just don't expect a huge difference in results. 

Just now, Ta111 said:

Yea, interesting that we have all those 80% receivers and Jones is at 38%.

The best comparions are with the guys who are actually getting a decent number of targets: Brown, Beasley, and Knox. All of those are over 60 percent. To be fair to Jones, he has been on the receiving end of a inordinately large number of way-off-target throws by Allen. 

• Like (+1) 1

He should be playing at JuJu level of play and he cant hold JuJus jock without dropping it.  Hes no better than 20 various street FA that could take his place and not miss a beat.  Andre Roberts has never been looked at as a good WR and HE out did Zay for the season in one game.. c'mon man.  Its time, bring in Duke or trade for a real WR. Whatever, just get it over.

4 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Look at the column entitled "catch percentage" in the rushing and receiving category and look at line 11: https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/buf/2019.htm

Not trying to defend Zay but I do wish there was more information on that stat.  Not all catches are the same.  Beasley gets a lot “easier” catch opportunities than Zay.  

47 minutes ago, CuddyDark said:

Bills fans always pick on guy to target their anger and it's Zay for now. If I'm Zay I play the season out and get to a team with a pocket QB like Robert Woods and become a very good number 2 receiver.

Hopefully Zay can develope into a Robert Woods. But right now he is nowhere near the reciever Robert Woods is today or when Woods was with the Bills.

1 minute ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Not trying to defend Zay but I do wish there was more information on that stat.  Not all catches are the same.  Beasley gets a lot “easier” catch opportunities than Zay.  

I absolutely agree, and see my qualifying post above. But when you're always low in the catch pct stats while others aren't, sometimes it's you. 

1 hour ago, CuddyDark said:

Bills fans always pick on guy to target their anger and it's Zay for now. If I'm Zay I play the season out and get to a team with a pocket QB like Robert Woods and become a very good number 2 receiver.

Did you really just compare Zay Jones to Robert Woods? WOW talk about clueless. Almost every fan knew Woods was wide open all the time and a very physical WR who played with heart. Zay Jones doesn't get open, doesn't catch, and looks completely lost on how to play the position of WR. My god.

Edited by Rocbillsfan1
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, Rocbillsfan1 said:

Did you really just compare Zay Jones to Robert Woods? WOW talk about clueless. Almost every fan knew Woods was wide open all the time and a very physical WR who played with heart. Zay Jones doesn't get open, doesn't catch, and looks completely lost to how to play the position of WR. My god.

When the all 22 comes out you'll see Zay was open ALL THE TIME yesterday.

47 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Zay Jones just doesn't make plays.  Too many drops, and yesterday highlighted his lack of situational awareness when he failed to turn DB to disrupt two interceptions.  He didn't even jump to try to catch Josh's ball on the sideline.  We cut the sure-handed Reilly last year, and this year we're leaving The Duke on the PS because of Zay.    

We're leaving Duke on the PS because of Foster.