Why the Zay Hate?

Virgil

6 minutes ago, Lurker said:

What ya talking about Willis?

Jones had regained his stride and was running free at the ten.   He appears to panic and jump for the ball even though he didn't have to, making the catch attempt much more difficult than it had to be....     

Dont waste your time, he’s dating Zay and nothing you say will persuade him until Zay “drops” him too

8 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

If only someone alerted everyone to the limitations and weaknesses of Zay Jones back in February...

...if only

loooool.  shut up man!  at least give us some hopeful takes while we marinate in this heart breaker loss.

I will say, I think zay's problem is that he can only catch a ball when things are going just right for him, that's why he never seems to adjust for the play or come back to fight off josh's all to frequent picks.

cole and brown can make great snags, and knox looks like he can flip and fight for a ball, but zay only catches balls that are not contested and come to him at just the right time.

1 hour ago, Happy Gilmore said:

I don't hate Zay Jones.  He just shouldn't be running patterns greater than 10 yards is all.  Short, quick slants is all he should get.  Zay is not a long ball receiver.

This.

Yet he is the only WR on the Bills so far to be open for 3 tds, in 4 games. If Josh hits him, he leads the team in tds. As for the "Duke would have caught them", that's hypothetical. 

Drops, lack of effort, and overall just unimpressive waste of a guy.

Im not sure why people forget that the Dolphins game in Miami he blew the catch at the five yard line. Yesterday he blows the catch in the end zone and on both INTs he didn’t even attempt to stop the defender.

I was done with him last year I can’t stand him

15 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Dont waste your time, he’s dating Zay and nothing you say will persuade him until Zay “drops” him too

Look who's back. Welcome to the party. Man, you promised not to mention my boyfriends name again. Ever. Still dreaming of him I guess.

Gone for a while and comes back with insults. Nice. Don't you think you're still taking this too personally?

Edited by Dopey

We can blame the QB for poor throws all we want, but why is Zay the only one not catching them?

Here is the catch% and their targets after four weeks...

Zay Jones: 38.9% 18 targets

Lee Smith: 50% 2 targets

Sweeny: 50% 6 targets

Knox: 61.5% 13 targets

Beasley: 66.7% 36 targets

Brown: 67.6% 34 targets

Gore: 80% 5 targets

Singletary: 83.3% 6 targets

Yeldon: 85.7% 7 targets

Roberts: 100% 1 targets

McKenzie: 100% 3 targets

There is also Foster who has not caught a pass but he has only had 3 targets and iirc they were all deep passes that were nowhere near him.  Someone on this list stands out... in a bad way.  The dude doesn't even try to stop an interception even when he is in position to do so.

Zay also had the second worst catch% on the team last year and the worst the year before.  It's a trend.  He is bad.

Edited by Scott7975
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Virgil said:

Can someone please tell me what Zay did, or didn’t do, yesterday to call for the hate?  I see people saying cut him immediately.  

I can’t remember a play with him where I thought he was the reason we sucked.  The guy isn’t even out there that much.  

Overall, he hasn’t lived up to his draft status and physical traits, but I don’t see how yesterday was the deal breaker.  

What am I missing?

It’s group think.  If Zay vanished tomorrow they’d be on to the next target of hate.  It would be interesting to do a poll asking after Zay leaves who will become the most hated bill.

i think everybody sees at this point, a change is needed at WR. The real problem here is brown and Cole are good. There is a drop off after that. Zay hasn’t developed into the WR he looked like he could be coming out but he’s still the third best wr on the team. That’s the issue. 

Front office clearly  understood and spent wisely to get better. More work to be done with that position group. 

Zay, McKenzie and Foster aren’t the answer nor is the PS guy that couldn’t beat any of them to make the team. 

Is I’d like to see Roberts targeted more. 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood

20 minutes ago, Dopey said:

Look who's back. Welcome to the party. Man, you promised not to mention my boyfriends name again. Ever. Still dreaming of him I guess.

Gone for a while and comes back with insults. Nice. Don't you think you're still taking this too personally?

Except that never happened.  Still struggling with comprehension of posts in this regard I see.  I gave you a challenge, and you failed miserably at it like you’re still failing miserably here defending a WR that is not very good.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, whatdrought said:

Two of Allen’s three interceptions were thrown Zays way. While neither of them were his fault, he made no attempt to attack the ball or make a play on it. He watched as the DB broke for the ball. It’s just additional evidence of his inability to adjust for the ball/make a play on it. 

He also high pointed the endzone throw from Barkley, got two hands on it and it didn’t bring it in.

This, exactly.  He should have prevented two interceptions and caught a touchdown pass.   He failed on all three.   Other than that, I thought he played great two receptions for four yards.  

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, Alphadawg7 said:

Except that never happened.  Still struggling with comprehension of posts in this regard I see.  

I comprehend that you are still taking this personally. Your insult to me after time off kinda proves it. We don't agree. I've said this a number of times. Let it go.

7 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

This, exactly.  He should have prevented two interceptions and caught a touchdown pass.   He failed on all three.   Other than that, I thought he played great two receptions for four yards.  

The TD pass was severely under thrown. His momentum wouldn’t have allowed him to come back for the call.  

Now you are going to make me find the videos and live the pain all over again. 

I’m not a Zay apologist as I was really hoping Foster would step up and replace him this year.  But I feel like people are placing their anger towards Zay instead of Allen for this game 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Dopey said:

I comprehend that you are still taking this personally. Your insult to me after time off kinda proves it. We don't agree. I've said this a number of times. Let it go.

Says the guy who chased me down for a week to argue Zay to no end and keeps posting this false narrative multiple times now that I promised not mention Zay.  Lol.  

Its all good, but you came at me about Zay, and you seem to take exception if I say anything back.  

Edited by Alphadawg7

This has all been said in other threads, and I'm not sure why this hasn't been merged. But, Zay has issues with dropped passes, has poor hands, doesn't highpoint the ball, doesn't contest the ball, has poor situational awareness (doesn't see the defenders around him, and adjust accordingly), and has a woefully limited catch radius.

The best thing that can be said about him is that he's versatile, and has a comprehensive route tree, But, for all his versatility, he is mediocre, at best, at all of it, with the possible exception of blocking. 

And, I don't really hear anyone crowing about his leadership, either. 

In the draft, he was sold as being "the most NFL-ready" WR in his class, with super reliable hands. That turned out to not be true. 

And, personally, I look at his play, and his progression through his time in Buffalo, and I suspect that he very well might be about at his ceiling. 

All of this adds up to someone who does not offer enough, and who will make costly mistakes.

And, compound that with the frustration that some feel is a wasted opportunity having Duke Williams on the PS, (I am included in that crowd) who could fill Zay's role without so many limitations, and you can understand why so many want him gone.

1 hour ago, Dopey said:

That Carolina "miss" was the result of Zay and the LB dropping into coverage clipping each other's feet while Zay was making his cut. Even the LB stumbled after their feet clipped. Yet the narrative by some here was that Zay "stumbled over his own feet". False. Zay's left foot and the LBs right foot clipped each other on Zay's cut, at the 19 yd line. That threw the timing and route off. Still remember it?! I've seen many great WR miss a pass due to feet getting tangled with a defender. He made a great effort to catch the ball. Just out of his hands. Also, making fun of mental illness is not funny. What are you, 8 yrs old!? Everyone has a family member with some sort of mental illness, yours included.

But Zay never should have gotten himself tangled up and tripped.  ;)  :D 

I feel a bit for Zay because he gets open and Josh has missed him, a lot.  

That being said, it's just not working.  It seems to click with Brown, Beasley and now Knox.  Even McKenzie gets in on the action when he's out there.  We've seen Foster make big plays last year. 

We severely lack size at WR, and unfortunately for Zay, to compound the fanbases angst, he's seen as the guy keeping us from calling up the size we lack.

1 hour ago, CuddyDark said:

When the all 22 comes out you'll see Zay was open ALL THE TIME yesterday.

That's because he constantly runs routes like he's playing sandlot football. 

He may be 'open' but the QB has to find him, rather than automatically knowing where he'll be...

39 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I think "should have prevented" is a little strong. Should have tried to prevent is more accurate. 

• Like (+1) 3