Josh Allen in concussion protocol: Update cleared 10/5

YoloinOhio

8 minutes ago, VW82 said:

It would be insanely dumb IMO to play Josh on Sunday. Even if he's able to clear concussion protocol prior to game time why not give him the game off and be 100% sure he's OK. Bring him back after the bye vs Miami and let him find his feet against a weak opponent. You also have the added benefit of letting him watch and learn, and take the necessary time to digest that Pats loss and his up and down start to the year. It worked last year. 

This game is one of the most important the Bills will play this season. The Titans are a competitor for a WC spot. Giving them an L and having the tiebreaker over them would be huge.

If Allen is cleared there's no reason he shouldn't play. 

Edited by MDH
  • Like (+1) 6

8 minutes ago, VW82 said:

It would be insanely dumb IMO to play Josh on Sunday. Even if he's able to clear concussion protocol prior to game time why not give him the game off and be 100% sure he's OK. Bring him back after the bye vs Miami and let him find his feet against a weak opponent. You also have the added benefit of letting him watch and learn, and take the necessary time to digest that Pats loss and his up and down start to the year. It worked last year. 

The neurologist wouldn't clear him if he wasn't 100% okay. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, VW82 said:

The thing with concussions is you never really know. Josh can get cleared by the best neurologists on the planet. It's still an educated guess. Like I said, there's also the added benefit of letting him watch and learn for a week. That was a brutal performance on Sunday and he's struggled at times in the other games too. Maybe sitting out a week will help him learn that every possession counts.  

You're blurring the lines between sitting him for his health, and benching him for performance. That's two different conversations really.

- If he's out of the protocol, he's healthy and ready to go. It doesn't make sense to not play your best players when they are healthy. If he's healthy he plays. They also can't mess with the protocol. He's either cleared (thus healthy) or he isn't. There's no room to hold him out and say he's still got issues, unless he were to lie to the Neurologist, but i'm guessing there are a lot of issues with that idea. 

- If you want to argue he should be benched, that's another conversation. While the performance was terrible, I don't think benching him at this time is a good idea and would have an overall negative affect on him long term. Not that EJ Manuel was ever going to be a franchise QB, but the little chance he had left was shot out the window when he got benched.

10 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

They can be 100% sure he's okay this week, that's how the concussion protocol works. More to that point, you play him because he's your franchise QB and you do everything you can to win every single game. The titans don't scare me, but if Allen is good to go and we don't play him and then we lose, the what if of that situation is the kind of thing that ruins a season. 

If he comes back and plays and gets concussed again or performs poorly, that's the kind of thing that can ruin a career. 

If Josh had been lighting up the Pats D on Sunday then I'd agree you bring him back as soon as he clears assuming the coaching staff feels like he's prepared and ready to go. The fact he was so out of sorts prior to the hit suggests he might need a little extra time. Bills have a lot invested in this kid. It's not just about one game with him. 

Edited by VW82

22 minutes ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

See Josh Allen Concussion thread please rayray

trust me ... when the news breaks you will see plenty on it

Mods will need to have a megre o rama fest ... 17 new threads at least..

and Nd then I expect a few like:

- even if he can play, should they bench him

and 

- does Barkley gives better chance to win even though he’s out of CP

etc 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood
  • Haha (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, VW82 said:

The thing with concussions is you never really know. Josh can get cleared by the best neurologists on the planet. It's still an educated guess. Like I said, there's also the added benefit of letting him watch and learn for a week. That was a brutal performance on Sunday and he's struggled at times in the other games too. Maybe sitting out a week will help him learn that every possession counts.  

so after every bad game we need to let him sit? how long is this gonna be an accepted strategy?..... no thanks. if he's ready, get him out there.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, VW82 said:

If he comes back and plays and gets concussed again or performs poorly, that's the kind of thing that can ruin a career. 

If Josh had been lighting up the Pats D on Sunday then I'd agree you bring him back as soon as he clears. The fact he was so out of sorts prior to the hit suggests he might need a little extra time. Bills have a lot invested in this kid. It's not just about one game with him. 

If he comes back and gets concussed there's nothing to be done about that. It can happen now, it can happen in two weeks, it can happen in week 17. Part of the protocol is assessing whether or not the player is at a heightened risk for additional concussion issues- if he passes the protocol, that's them saying he isn't.

As for the other points, look at my post above yours. 

13 minutes ago, VW82 said:

If you don't think he's 100% ok to play after a neurologist says he is, what would convince you he's 100% to play against Miami... just because he sat out another week?  Why wouldn't there be an added benefit to getting him back in action this weekend and maybe winning the game?

Edited by klos63
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

so after every bad game we need to let him sit? how long is this gonna be an accepted strategy?..... no thanks. if he's ready, get him out there.

If Allen isn’t “allowed” to have a bad game, there is no hope for him or this fan base. 

NEWSFLASH: Josh Allen will have other bad games. Some around here may want to brace themselves. 

Edited by K-9
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2

33 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Take it to the McCoy thread. Actually there isn’t one, probably because he isn’t missed. The team is 4th in the league in rushing averaging 147/game. This thread is about Allen in the concussion protocol. Please and thank you. 

I’m simply responding to what someone else has said from my first post to my last. So, unless I see this request to everyone of those.

no. Please and thank you.

49 minutes ago, Gugny said:

They lost the game on Sunday because we had two QBs who both sucked.

Your perspective is interesting. Wrong, but, interesting nonetheless.

1 minute ago, K-9 said:

If Allen isn’t “allowed” to have a bad game, there is no hope for him or this fan base. 

NEWSFLASH: Josh Allen will have other bad games. Some around here may want to brace themselves. 

seriously... there will be more rough games in the future. short memories around here. people forget the 65% comp rate and ONE bad int in the first 3 games.... one awful game against the best secondary and coaching mind in the league and now we need to sit him in the corner? ….no...… HELL NO.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, K-9 said:

If Allen isn’t “allowed” to have a bad game, there is no hope him or this fan base. 

I said earlier in the week that we should just throw stats out the window for awhile with Josh. He shouldn’t be measured the way other guys are because he doesn’t play the way other guys do. At this point we want him to make enough plays, and win games. 

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, VW82 said:

If you never know, then what's the random time limit?  Lots of NFL QB's have sustained a concussion at some point.  If Josh feels good, and he's cleared, you play him Sunday. 

Sitting your franchise QB as a learning moment makes no sense when he's in his second year.  Yes, it worked last year as a rookie but we're past that now.  He needs to work through this stuff on the field.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Kelly the Dog said:

I said earlier in the week that we should just throw stats out the window for awhile with Josh. He shouldn’t be measured the way other guys are because he doesn’t play the way other guys do. At this point we want him to make enough plays, and win games. 

I would add protecting the football. but ya, I agree.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, VW82 said:

If Josh had been lighting up the Pats D on Sunday then I'd agree you bring him back as soon as he clears assuming the coaching staff feels like he's prepared and ready to go. The fact he was so out of sorts prior to the hit suggests he might need a little extra time. Bills have a lot invested in this kid. It's not just about one game with him. 

Yeah no. Team wise Allen healthy is their best option. Development wise this is good experience for him. At some points in his career if he pans out he's going to need to come back from injury as soon as he can and play. Also he's going to have to come back from playing bad one week and fix it/play better the next. This is good experience for him and the bye week coming is at least just as good for him if he plays.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Yep. He wasn’t awful the entire game. He was bad for a half. And yes the controversial third INT was in the third quarter. And yes, Daboll consistently gets plays in late. Josh also responds well to hurry up. Not always but usually. 

Right. There just seems to be a lot of an "all or nothing" perspective with Allen - on both sides. It is possible for Allen to have played poorly with bad decisions at times - and to also have played well at times. It is also possible for him to make mistakes, phyiscally and mentally all on his own and for some of those mistakes to be a result of external factors (Ii.e.; play calling, the defense, bad offensive line play, poor separation by receivers) as well. 

It is also possible that he continues to make mistakes while also improving.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, VW82 said:

I am not on board with letting Allen sit to learn. Sitting him his rookie year I can understand but not now. He needs as much playing time as possible to try to develop as quickly as possible. There are only so many games in a season and Allen needs to play in all of them unless he is hurt.