The Safety. What did I miss?

Kelly the Dog

18 minutes ago, Gray Beard said:

It sort of makes sense to me.  For a touchdown, if it touches the white line, it’s in the end zone. Therefore, to not be in the end zone, it cannot be touching any of the white line.

exactly.  what are the refs going to do, spot the ball /on/ the goal line for the next play?

There was a brief showing of a camera angle from behind the play that showed the runners feet crossing forward over the goal line. Now you can’t see the ball in relation to the goal line but logic would tell you that the ball got past the line and it was not a safety. 

You never see that called a safety, ever.  Ball carrier is at the 1, gets driven back and they call a safety and can’t overturn due to angles and bodies.  

Jets forum has the audacity to have a couple posters complaining about the refs.  The refs handed them 2 points and an extra turnover that gave them starting field position at the 40, leading to their only offensive scoring drive. 

2 minutes ago, mattynh said:

It was not clear to me.  Not sure how you can say that without just making an assumption. 

I think the main point is it was a terrible terrible initial call. Unless it's clearly a safety you don't call a safety there. I've never seen one like that called a safety on the field. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, Andy1 said:

There was a brief showing of a camera angle from behind the play that showed the runners feet crossing forward over the goal line. Now you can’t see the ball in relation to the goal line but logic would tell you that the ball got past the line and it was not a safety. 

Under NFL rules you cannot make that assumption even if it is 100% evident. You have to see the ball. I believe on the mlive carry as well as one early replay you could see him across. 

I love all the people going "like omg wtf I saw the ball leave the endzone clear as day a blind man could see that".  No.  No you didn't.  Take the homer glasses off for a second.

I agree that it was a bad call to grant them the safety in the first place, but the ruling to leave the play as called upon review was per the rules correct.  It was just one of those plays that would have stood on lack of clear evidence regardless of which was it was initially called.  You cannot INFER that ball was out, you have to SEE the actual ball being out.

9 minutes ago, Xwnyer said:

No need t challenge it was a scoring play

I think he got the idea after the first 30 people corrected him on that.

• Like (+1) 1

There are supposed to be goal line cameras to watch for plays like that. 

16 minutes ago, 1ManRaid said:

I love all the people going "like omg wtf I saw the ball leave the endzone clear as day a blind man could see that".  No.  No you didn't.  Take the homer glasses off for a second.

I agree that it was a bad call to grant them the safety in the first place, but the ruling to leave the play as called upon review was per the rules correct.  It was just one of those plays that would have stood on lack of clear evidence regardless of which was it was initially called.  You cannot INFER that ball was out, you have to SEE the actual ball being out.

I think he got the idea after the first 30 people corrected him on that.

Most on here have said that there wasn't enough evidence to overturn. 

1 hour ago, Gray Beard said:

It sort of makes sense to me.  For a touchdown, if it touches the white line, it’s in the end zone. Therefore, to not be in the end zone, it cannot be touching any of the white line.

It's this, exactly.  The entire goal line is considered part of the endzone.  It's why you just have to break the plane for a TD, but escape it completely to avoid a safety.