Ruth Bader Ginsberg has pancreatic cancer

Isn’t there some kind of legislative gimmick they can use to delay or stop a confirmation vote from happening? Your always hearing about one party or the other doing something to stall, derail, etc.. Normally I wouldn’t be a fan of those kind of tactics but in this case..

Comment from a liberal on a friends (another liberal) FB post wondering if the GOP has the votes to do it... 

Yep sweetie, it's called the Filibuster... Oh wait. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 3

3 hours ago, Capco said:

So the people don't count but the political class does?  Isn't that the opposite of your own stance?  

The People don't make the calls with the establishment class. They've made that quite clear. They defer to authority, and that authority at present, those in charge of the DNC, are only about retaining power for themselves, not the people they represent. They've proven this over and over and over again. The GOP has as well for their own constituents. The establishment rot is bi-partisan in nature and its corruption. 

3 hours ago, Capco said:

That guy thinks that Democrats think "evil is okay if it results in liberal power."  There's something seriously wrong with assuming roughly half the civil servants in this country believe those words.  It's indicative of how sick and ill our country is, if anything.  

Yet, if you go by actions, not words, it makes his case much stronger than yours. "Evil" is a loaded word, I wouldn't choose to use it for 50% of our establishment ruling class. But it's not an unfair description either when you consider the long list of crimes against humanity committed by the few for the purposes of either retaining their own power or lining their pockets -- and that isn't solely on the left or right, it crosses the political spectrum within that class. 

3 hours ago, Capco said:

Brett Kavanaugh, just like Clarence Thomas, has no place on the Court.  And for the same reasons.  

Those reasons being the liberal media establishment says they're rapists without evidence to support it? Come on, now, Cap. You're better than that. 

3 hours ago, Capco said:

If he was so squeaky clean, he would have gotten more than 1 Democratic vote.  This was literally the narrowest appointment in the history of the Court.  

This ignores the context of the day, namely that there was an ongoing coup attempt anchored in part by the democratic party (especially the judiciary committee) all because they refused to peaceful transition of power. It's war, Cap. Pretending that it's not is a sure way to get your analysis wrong as you're doing here. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, snafu said:

I disagree.  If I were a liberal-leaning independent who was maybe not going to vote, now I’m definitely going to vote. Voters like these will not be canceled out by conservatives who will vote in any circumstance. 

There's no question turnout is increased for all sides due to this news, we're in total agreement there. But the issue is that (for the Senate) that's killer for the DNC's game plan. They were counting on many republicans in traditionally red-ish states staying home in protest of Trump (think Mitch's race, think McSally in AZ, think Tillis in NC, think Loeffler in GA). That won't happen now as those red state voters care more about SCOTUS than POTUS.

Not only that, this news risks causing a fracture between the Bernie Bro Progressive wing of Joe's base and the Clinton/moderate wing of his base. 

• Like (+1) 4

35 minutes ago, Capco said:

No, I think it's credible because experts in the relevant field believe it's credible:  

Did you find her account believable?

She gave one of the most credible accounts I have ever heard from a victim.

The “victim” label is very stigmatizing and associated with stereotypes of passivity and weakness. Ford departed from those stereotypes in important ways. She is an accomplished psychologist, professor and researcher, and I was glad to see those accomplishments presented at the beginning of the hearing. Not only that, but you could also see her expertise throughout her comments. She was very brave and a role model for all survivors.

Despite her strength, you can see the lingering effects of her victimization — how it has affected her for years, and how, even more than 30 years later, it is difficult to talk about.

https://www.latimes.com/science/sciencenow/la-sci-sn-ford-testimony-credibility-memory-20180928-story.html

If anything, the only reason you think she's not credible is because you don't want her to be.  

Not trying to pile on here, really do appreciate having another rational liberal poster on this board that an & will carry on a cogent discussion, but did not find her allegations against Justice Kavanaugh remotely credible.  Though agreed that they were worthy of additional investigation when 1st alleged, and they were investigated.

There was no corroboration at all of her story, not even from people that were her friends & family.  Details changed.  He had several people corroborate his version of the party.  She never brought these claims forward earlier, she attempted to bring the charges anonymously.  She lied about her fear of flying.  That's just for starters.

You give her being a trained psychologist as a reason to give additional credibility to her story. IMHO, her having been trained in that subject lowers her credibility if it moves the needle either way as she'd almost definitely been trained in how to act & speak to appear credible.

She may very well have been assaulted at some point in her life, but nothing she said credibly identified Justice Kavanaugh as having attacked her.

That additional "victims" came forward with even more ridiculous & debunked claims is circumstantial but also lowers the believability of her allegations.  Ymmv on that one.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2

28 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Why would you assume they're bluffing? I certainly don't. They want to end Federalism. 

Because states will secede,  the courts will be illegitimate and it will end the country.  I refuse to believe the dems are that insane... 

Edited by AirAllenPower

8 minutes ago, Golden Goat said:

Dems? No. Libs? Yup.

The Democrat establishment will be all bark but will talk with McConnell behind the scenes on a handshake agreement... 

Republicans wont touch x,y,z and in return the right gets another SCOTUS. I'd imagine Republicans would leave abortion alone... 

Always nice to chat folks but I have homework to do.  Just a few last words...

@Deranged Rhino You still articulate your debates with me on premises I don't buy.  There is a conservative media with a conservative spin.  There was no coup (and if there was all of the people involved would have been in jail by now...).  I saw enough from the hearings to make me raise an eyebrow when it comes to the SCOTUS.  But admittedly when you speak in bipartisan terms your arguments resonate a lot more with me.  I think we both despise corruption and love this country, at the very least.  

@Taro T I would respond that there are varying degrees of credibility.  Ford does not meet Anita Hill's level of credibility as Darin astutely pointed out, but imho her credibility is nonzero;  there is at least some level of credibility there, enough to make me question the appointment (and the level of credibility difference is irrelevant because Thomas got in when he shouldn't have).  At the end of the day, what's the difference between Kavanaugh and another conservative without a potentially questionable past if they're going to mostly vote the same way anyway?  The difference is in the lack of these kinds of concerns.  

Again referencing Darin, the widespread issues with sexual assault and harassment are disgusting, revolting, and repugnant.  It strikes a chord with me.  It's one of the things that is highly indicative of the moral character of the perpetrators.  They do not have my sympathy.  Ever. 

Kavanaugh is here to stay.  We ultimately agree to disagree about whether or not he should be on the court.  I have nothing left to say.

See you all tomorrow in the game-day thread.  Go Bills!  We can always agree on that ;)

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Why would you assume they're bluffing? I certainly don't. They want to end Federalism. 

And you want to take the country back to 1950s, where the preacher's fire and brimstone ran the town, with a commie on every corner, when McCarthy was boss, where black lives and women's rights didn't matter, long before Roe v Wade and before your mom's Mac and cheese was invented.

24 minutes ago, Niagara Bill said:

And you want to take the country back to 1950s, where the preacher's fire and brimstone ran the town, with a commie on every corner, when McCarthy was boss, where black lives and women's rights didn't matter, long before Roe v Wade and before your mom's Mac and cheese was invented.

I remember when I had my first beer. 

• Haha (+1) 4

26 minutes ago, Niagara Bill said:

1 minute ago, Deranged Rhino said:

I remember when I had my first beer. 

No Schiff!!! WTF is this crap?

36 minutes ago, Niagara Bill said:

I don’t want to live in the world you speak of!!!!

• Haha (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Niagara Bill said:

You had your way for 50 years. We tried the lefts way and it's been a disaster...Your counter culture has brought the country on the brink. We now have drag queens teaching our CHILDREN and Netflix advocating pedophile behavior. This marxist postmodernism bs is way beyond civil rights...We're done dude. 

A culture shift back to pre Kennedy is exactly what we want. You've destroyed the family

We want economic nationalism,  strong nuclear families , and we want God and christianity to be an integral part of our culture. Trump and the Republicans are going to win in overwhelmingly numbers because the left has lost all sanity

We don't want freaks running the country 

Edited by AirAllenPower
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

THE OLD-FASHIONED Ruth Bader Ginsburg: 

“She could fight with the best of them—but I never heard or saw or even intimated anything other than respect and even, often, affection for her adversaries in these battles.

No snide remarks, no nasty innuendoes, none of that. She valued civility and collegiality very, very highly.”

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Capco said:

No, I think it's credible because experts in the relevant field believe it's credible:  

Not only that, but you could also see her expertise throughout her comments. She was very brave and a role model for all survivors.

If anything, the only reason you think she's not credible is because you don't want her to be.  

My guess is you are a female. A male can sympathize with Kavanaugh's position of having to defend against some accusations made after many years by someone without corroboration who can not name where. Her politics align to the left as well. Conveniently she comes forward at confirmation hearings. A male could envision himself in such a horrible position, while a female is wired to  envision herself in Ford's position. To a male it looks like a hit job with a pay day.

• Thank you (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Niagara said:

My guess is you are a female. A male can sympathize with Kavanaugh's position of having to defend against some accusations made after many years by someone without corroboration who can not name where. Her politics align to the left as well. Conveniently she comes forward at confirmation hearings. A male could envision himself in such a horrible position, while a female is wired to  envision herself in Ford's position. To a male it looks like a hit job with a pay day.

So can a female.

• Like (+1) 2

58 minutes ago, B-Man said:

THE OLD-FASHIONED Ruth Bader Ginsburg: 

""Most of what I know about writing I learned from her.  The rules are actually pretty simple:  Every word matters.  Don't make the simple complicated, make the complicated as simple as it can be (but not simpler!). You're not finished when you can't think of anything more to add to your document; you're finished when you can't think of anything more that you can remove from it. She enforced these principles with a combination of a ferocious—almost a terrifying—editorial pen, and enough judicious praise sprinkled about to let you know that she was appreciating your efforts, if not always your end-product. And one more rule: While you're at it, make it sing. At least a little; legal prose is not epic poetry or the stuff of operatic librettos, but a well-crafted paragraph can help carry the reader along, and is always a thing of real beauty."

I am now curious to read some of her writing. She never impressed me with her original thought.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

So can a female.

Of course some females, but Capco is so convinced by Ford, and blind to Kavanaugh's position, my thinking is such thinking can only reasonably be held by a female channeling some personal fears and my guess is Capco is a she.

Edited by Niagara

10 hours ago, AirAllenPower said:

The Democrat establishment will be all bark but will talk with McConnell behind the scenes on a handshake agreement... 

Republicans wont touch x,y,z and in return the right gets another SCOTUS. I'd imagine Republicans would leave abortion alone... 

Yep. They're all spineless liars on the issue of infanticide and our country will pay for that, long term.

• Like (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

If I read her 'dying wish' correctly she wants us to wait potentially over 4 years to replace her. She was smarter than that.

It also said she wants us to wait until a new president is “installed” as if we’re some tinpot dictator led  banana republic. Agree or disagree with her politics, no one ever accused RBG of being sloppy with language. If she said installed instead of elected, it was intentional. The only logical conclusions that can therefore be drawn from that verbiage are that she wants our system of government overthrown, so her final wishes should be ignored, or she never actually said it, so it should be ignored. 

• Like (+1) 4

...two very accomplished FEMALE candidates on his short list......a couple of interesting tidbits from their backgrounds....Lagoa is a Cuban-American who was the first Hispanic to serve as a Justice on the Supreme Court of Florida......Barrett is a mother of seven children, two of which are adopted Haitians.....can't wait for the MSM to spin this into unacceptable and unqualified......

Trump's Supreme Court court pick likely to be Amy Coney Barrett or Barbara Lagoa: reports

Both women are conservative Roman Catholics

By Brie Stimson | Fox News

Two names have been emerging from the list of Supreme Court contenders President Trump is said to be considering following the death of Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg, according to reports.

Judges Amy Coney Barrett in Chicago and Barbara Lagoa in Atlanta are said to top the list.

Trump told a North Carolina rally crowd Saturday night that he intended to nominate a woman to succeed Ginsburg, who died Friday at age 87 after a battle with pancreatic cancer.

"It will be a woman -- a very talented, very brilliant woman," Trump said of his potential choice. "I think it should be a woman. I actually like women much more than I like men.”

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/trumps-supreme-court-court-pick-likely-to-be-amy-coney-barrett-or-barbara-lagoa-reports