Mitch Morse in concussion protocol

1 minute ago, Buffalo716 said:

I know they are devastating.

But 40 million dollars will change a family's life for a few generations.

Life is a risk reward, give take... It's worth it to some, others not

FYI I will probably give my brain for cte research when I pass so I understand

Yeah, it’s a hell of a debate.  Again it’s early but set your family up for life or possibly be a horror story of what CTE can make people. 

Just now, C.Biscuit97 said:

Yeah, it’s a hell of a debate.  Again it’s early but set your family up for life or possibly be a horror story of what CTE can make people. 

I don't have statistics but I would assume lineman get it the worst

They are pounding heads every play in the trenches

18 minutes ago, SoTier said:

I don't believe that the teams the can decide to put not put a player in concussion protocol during games.  I believe that's a league call.  I think the doctor who's on call for concussions is not a team employee so he's independent.

It was Kevin Kolb in 2013 not Kelly Holcomb who tripped on the mat and having to retire -- unless that also happened to Holcomb earlier.

and then he got caught in a hurricane like a couple months after that or something. he had an epic run of bad luck.

3 hours ago, Helpmenow said:

Already a bad signing beane. Chiefs knew something 

I doubt that the Chiefs knew "something" that Beane didn't know about Morse's concussion history.  His injury history is part of the NFL's "public record".  Beane chose to disregard it, probably because he's a gambler.  He gambled on Benjamin, who was known to have bad knees in 2017 and again on Murphy in 2018.  He also gambled that a raw QB prospect from a minor college program had "the right stuff" to make a franchise QB and that a very young LB with very limited MLB experience would make a top notch NFL MLB.  In 2019, he made Morse the most expensive C in the league despite his concussion history. 

The thing is that gambler's occasionally win big but mostly they lose to the House.

I bet he'll be back soon. If he's on the sidelines doing conditioning work it can't be that serious.

But people are having meltdowns over this...

I will say this: put him in a permanent red non-contact jersey until the regular season ... And get him a better helmet.

26 minutes ago, SoTier said:

I don't believe that the teams the can decide to put not put a player in concussion protocol during games.  I believe that's a league call.  I think the doctor who's on call for concussions is not a team employee so he's independent.

True, but only if they notice it. My point is, I am sure many players "get their bell rung" and try to keep playing without calling attention to the potential injury.  Players are probably better at self reporting now, but I am sure it is no where near 100%.

24 minutes ago, Radar said:

Is it me or do the Bills have bad luck in training camp??

Dude, you're hearing about players all over the league who have significant injuries and will miss significant regular season time. Nobody for the Bills is in that boat.

Edited by MJS

23 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

JUST TO BE CLEAR I AM NOT CALLING MORSE SOFT, OR CALLING HIM OUT.

Concussions are very serious , I lost playing football to them

I originally said if he wanted 45 million he signed for he would keep playing.. that's a lot of change

If he suffers 2-3 more concussions in a shorter span of course that would be no good and he should consider hanging them up for his health

But protocol in camp can easily be a precaution. If he had a severe concussion they would know fairly quickly

Though minor concussions can still have long term effects

I understand that man, but the point I am making still stands... I guarantee you're right, when he signed the deal he had nothing in his mind about walking away from football.

All I am saying is that can change VERY quickly and frankly that's okay.  I mean it sucks for the Bills, but he's gotta make the decision that's best for him and his family....

And it's also possible he signed this deal knowing he may only get a few more years, BUT he wanted to cash in to make sure his family was taken care of, and he is gonna do his best for a few more to get as much as he can while he can.  

We can't pretend to know anything.  So everything is fair game. 

Hell Jason Gildon signed with the Bills back in 2003 I think it was, he came in as a LB, moved to DE, then was released after week 2 and retired.  He even admitted after the fact that he only signed the deal with Buffalo because they offered him a $2M signing bonus and he wanted the cash, and knew he didn't have a lot left in the tank and never really tried.  

Not saying at all that is what Morse did, I think he's 100% dedicated to being a franchise Center for the remainder of his career, however, you never know what is going through these guys minds or how it will play out.

We signed Eric Wood to a massive extension and then the next year he wasn't cleared to play and was forced to retire... Wood thought he'd play out 3-4 more years but suddenly was retired.  That could happen to ANYONE... 

That's all I'm saying. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, MR8 said:

I understand that man, but the point I am making still stands... I guarantee you're right, when he signed the deal he had nothing in his mind about walking away from football.

All I am saying is that can change VERY quickly and frankly that's okay.  I mean it sucks for the Bills, but he's gotta make the decision that's best for him and his family....

And it's also possible he signed this deal knowing he may only get a few more years, BUT he wanted to cash in to make sure his family was taken care of, and he is gonna do his best for a few more to get as much as he can while he can.  

We can't pretend to know anything.  So everything is fair game. 

Hell Jason Gildon signed with the Bills back in 2003 I think it was, he came in as a LB, moved to DE, then was released after week 2 and retired.  He even admitted after the fact that he only signed the deal with Buffalo because they offered him a $2M signing bonus and he wanted the cash, and knew he didn't have a lot left in the tank and never really tried.  

Not saying at all that is what Morse did, I think he's 100% dedicated to being a franchise Center for the remainder of his career, however, you never know what is going through these guys minds or how it will play out.

We signed Eric Wood to a massive extension and then the next year he wasn't cleared to play and was forced to retire... Wood thought he'd play out 3-4 more years but suddenly was retired.  That could happen to ANYONE... 

That's all I'm saying. 

Yes it could

Football is a dangerous game and you never know when your time is up

Id rather see a player live till 80 and healthy then die at 47

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Buffalo716 said:

Yes it could

Football is a dangerous game and you never know when your time is up

Id rather see a player live till 80 and healthy then die at 47

Except Tom Brady.... dead at 47 sounds good... but that mean's he'll probably die in the endzone on a QB Sneak... 

• Haha (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, SoTier said:

I doubt that the Chiefs knew "something" that Beane didn't know about Morse's concussion history.  His injury history is part of the NFL's "public record".  Beane chose to disregard it, probably because he's a gambler.  He gambled on Benjamin, who was known to have bad knees in 2017 and again on Murphy in 2018.  He also gambled that a raw QB prospect from a minor college program had "the right stuff" to make a franchise QB and that a very young LB with very limited MLB experience would make a top notch NFL MLB.  In 2019, he made Morse the most expensive C in the league despite his concussion history. 

The thing is that gambler's occasionally win big but mostly they lose to the House.

This is immature logic. 

Every decision is a gamble in its simplest terms.  If I sign FA X, will he be worth the money?  That is a gamble too.  It's the NFL, every player in the league has some injury history.  Granted, it is certainly a relevant consideration, and different GMs weigh those concerns differently, but your characterization is simple minded. 

1 minute ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

This is immature logic. 

Every decision is a gamble in its simplest terms.  If I sign FA X, will he be worth the money?  That is a gamble too.  It's the NFL, every player in the league has some injury history.  Granted, it is certainly a relevant consideration, and different GMs weigh those concerns differently, but your characterization is simple minded. 

Consider the poster's history, he's never seen a Beane move he liked.

Period.