Mitch Morse in concussion protocol

23 minutes ago, Bills2ref said:

I was wondering this as well. Given his injury history I feel center might be a very high priority in the upcoming draft. 

56 minutes ago, HeHateMe said:

How bad is his contract... potentially for us going forward if he really ends up out for a while?

From OTC

Current Contract

(?: indicates contract trigger occuring during that year)
Year Age Base Salary Prorated Bonus Roster Bonus Per Game Roster Bonus Workout Bonus   Guaranteed Salary   Cap
Number
Cap %  
Dead Money & Cap Savings
Cut (pre-June 1)Cut (post-June 1)Trade (pre-June 1)Trade (post-June 1)RestructureExtension 
Total   $25,100,000 $11,000,000 $5,000,000 $3,000,000 $400,000   $9,400,000   $44,187,500    
2019 26 $4,400,000 $2,750,000 $3,000,000 $1,000,000 $100,000   $7,400,000   $10,937,500 5.8%  
$20,400,000
($9,462,500)
2020 ? 27 $6,775,000 $2,750,000 $1,000,000 $1,000,000 $100,000   $2,000,000   $11,625,000 5.8%  
$10,250,000
$1,375,000
2021 28 $7,025,000 $2,750,000 $0 $500,000 $100,000   $0   $10,375,000 --  
$5,500,000
$4,875,000
2022 ? 29 $6,900,000 $2,750,000 $1,000,000 $500,000 $100,000   $0   $11,250,000 --  
$2,750,000
$8,500,000

Looks like we could dump him in 2020 with savings of $1.375M and he savings go up each year... but this year hes our's for sure. 

2 hours ago, rayray808 said:

just talked to my cousin Cleo, she said that it's mainly precautionary and not a huge concern

There you have it, folks!

Ms. Cleo’s Tarot Cards say Blue Skies ahead.

Nothing to worry about.

• Haha (+1) 2

I'm concerned.  Concussions are not a good thing - for the team or the individual.  And Morse was someone I was counting on to improve our OL play.  I wonder how serious this concussion is.  And I wonder how it might cause him to reflect about retiring.  

But I'm not convinced the sky is falling.  A concussion is not the end of the world.  In the old days, players got their 'bell rung' all the time and kept playing.  We're smarter now with fears of CTE and all that. But for many players, lives and careers continue on just fine after a concussion.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed.  

• Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

It's ridiculous that this is even talked about right now.

Hopefully this is not a worrisome issue but it would look absolutely awful on McBeane if this guy struggles to play all year due to concussions.

The question was asked, and it's worth putting up the information so at the very least if it's being discussed, it's being discussed with the actual facts and figures rather than guess work.

Honestly with a guy with his injury history, I don't think it's ever too early to discuss potential exit strategy from their contract, just in case.  On another forum leading up to the draft I was advocating for the Bills to draft a Center in the 2nd or 3rd round, just in case.  Worst case you have the C play OG and be a center in case of emergency... but if emergency comes, wouldn't you rather have a guy ready to go?  

Long can do spot duty but no one wants him to be a center long term, his grading there versus OG is starkly different.  

It's always worth a discussion... but I don't think anyone is beating the drum for cutting him man. But a discussion of "what if" is worth being had.... hell what if he decides it's not worth it to him to keep playing with all these injuries and retires after the year?  We still need to know how that will impact us... 

4 hours ago, eball said:

"Not good" is an understatement.  That was the primary concern with this guy coming in.  Oh boy...

There IS a history here, and this is a HUGE Deal.  

Hope he gets better, but this is real  IMO.

Lol at how many posts about cutting him and the savings and dead cap hits. 

BEFORE HE HAS EVEN PLAYED A GAME. 

Goodness gracious, get him and Kroft out of here they have previous injury concerns. No wonder they made it to free agency. Fire Beane. He was asleep at the wheel 

6 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

Lol at how many posts about cutting him and the savings and dead cap hits. 

BEFORE HE HAS EVEN PLAYED A GAME. 

Goodness gracious, get him and Kroft out of here they have previous injury concerns. No wonder they made it to free agency. Fire Beane. He was asleep at the wheel 

I’m not sure anyone is advocating for cutting him now or taking the sky is falling approach as you suggest. That isn’t even a realistic discussion at this point. A very realistic discussion, however, is talking about center prospects in the upcoming draft. If Morse cannot stay healthy you need to replace him with someone a bit more reliable than a journeyman free agent. 

• Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Does anyone worry when Gronk gets a concussion? #whatsthediff

I think the big difference is that Centers' heads collide with others' heads on nearly every play.

If Luke Keuchly was a center, he'd be dead by now.

• Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

The spleen, check the spleen STAT!

I dunno about the spleen but there's real cause for concern here, we're talking about an injury to the brain and 8 out of 10 doctors say the brain is one of the most important parts of the human body.

• Haha (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Which is why I'm saying it's ridiculous... the guy was just signed to a very rich deal.... a FA signing doesn't look good on Beane once again. 

I think I misinterpreted your post as you saying it's ridiculous people would even be discussing this to begin with this quickly.  Not that you were saying it's ridiculous that we paid that kind of money for a guy and it's already an issue to be discussed. 

We're on the same page now.

4 hours ago, Buddy Hix said:

This was the big risk with Morse, can't stay healthy. I hope the guy can get healthy and contribute but I would seriously consider my life outside of football if I was having a recurring concussion issue, especially after signing his big deal.

So basically, he didn't make it out of the 1st 2 days of camp??

44 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

It's ridiculous that this is even talked about right now.

Hopefully this is not a worrisome issue but it would look absolutely awful on McBeane if this guy struggles to play all year due to concussions.

25 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Which is why I'm saying it's ridiculous... the guy was just signed to a very rich deal.... a FA signing doesn't look good on Beane once again. 

There it is. Just like clockwork. 

• Haha (+1) 2