Mitch Morse in concussion protocol

7 hours ago, Jerome007 said:

I actually know a therapist that "cures", well, solves concussions, quickly and pretty much permanently. He has worked with many NHL players... and me! Because of legalities, therapists and order in-fighting, he sadly can't be too public,

What "legalities" would prevent this guy from going "too public"?

Anyway, players are free to be treated by therapists of their choosing.

52 minutes ago, Augie said:

I could not care less about a preseason game, although they need to build chemistry. It’s not THIS concussion that worries me as much as when the future concussions come. Ugh....

My point was (I could of been clearer), if he's not health by then it could show the concussions have accumulated to something more serious.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, klos63 said:

at Center?

Depends on how you define “depth” - but yes, they actually do. Both Bodine and Long have started at C extensively. That’s more depth than most teams have. But also like most teams, the depth simply isn’t as good as the starter which is why it is depth.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Depends on how you define “depth” - but yes, they actually do. Both Bodine and Long have started at C extensively. That’s more depth than most teams have. But also like most teams, the depth simply isn’t as good as the starter which is why it is depth.

Esto esta bien

10 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

They continue to play injury arbitrage and continue to get burned by it.

Spend the draft capital on Tyler Biadasz C-Wisconsin next year.

Might as well start grooming for the future - and how can you miss with a name like that?

11 minutes ago, WideNine said:

Spend the draft capital on Tyler Biadasz C-Wisconsin next year.

Might as well start grooming for the future - and how can you miss with a name like that?

I don’t know what the next step might be, but I have to wonder how the Morse contract is structured and how hard it would be to move on if this becomes too crippling. Not getting down, just curious. It was clearly a gamble from Day One. I loved the idea of a seasoned vet to work with Josh, but concussions really scare me. 

Anyone downplaying this as in "I'll worry about it when he starts missing games" has their head in the sand.  The guy missed the end of last season with a concussion issue, has had other concussion issues in the past, and now the first time they practice in pads, out he goes.  This is a major red flag about a guy who everyone thought was going to anchor the line for the next 5 years.

They better hope that the other centers on the roster are "average"...worst case scenario.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Augie said:

I don’t know what the next step might be, but I have to wonder how the Morse contract is structured and how hard it would be to move on if this becomes too crippling. Not getting down, just curious. It was clearly a gamble from Day One. I loved the idea of a seasoned vet to work with Josh, but concussions really scare me. 

Looks like he's ours through the 2020 season with a potential out in 2021 out leaving $5.5M dead cap.  $26.175M of 2019-2020 is guaranteed, with $1.325M of 2021 salary guaranteed for injury.  Got this from Spotrac.  This will be an expensive mistake if he has to retire early.

3 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

Anyone downplaying this as in "I'll worry about it when he starts missing games" has their head in the sand.  The guy missed the end of last season with a concussion issue, has had other concussion issues in the past, and now the first time they practice in pads, out he goes.  This is a major red flag about a guy who everyone thought was going to anchor the line for the next 5 years.

They better hope that the other centers on the roster are "average"...worst case scenario.

He missed 5 games last season and 9 games in 2017.  At least some of those were for concussion protocol.  Appeared to be ok before 2017.

• Thank you (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I guess I meant quality depth, which I don't think we have.

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Augie said:

Yeah, I am checking back in here to see if anybody posted his contract details. And I am down. I think this is a very bad sign.

8 hours ago, JoPar_v2 said:

What? Elaborate please. How is this the doctor’s fault?

Player physical  prior to employment with the bills.  Ever had a physical before any employment dude.

Edited by Helpmenow

4 minutes ago, Buddy Hix said:

Yeah, I am checking back in here to see if anybody posted his contract details. And I am down. I think this is a very bad sign.

See Happy’s response above. 

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Looks like he's ours through the 2020 season with a potential out in 2021 out leaving $5.5M dead cap.  $26.175M of 2019-2020 is guaranteed, with $1.325M of 2021 salary guaranteed for injury.  Got this from Spotrac.  This will be an expensive mistake if he has to retire early.

He missed 5 games last season and 9 games in 2017.  At least some of those were for concussion protocol.  Appeared to be ok before 2017.

Yeah, just looked, 20m then 10m then 5m.

Everything is fine.

19 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

It's a major concern, I hope this is more so a result of over caution early in camp then anything serious. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Augie said:

The concussions were my primary concern with Morse, and I wondered with his injury history if there were any performance clauses structured into the deal (X number of games played, etc.). 

Concussions come easier and easier each time, till a love tap sends a player into protocol. I really like Mitch as a player, and he plays the game the way you want a player on your team to play the game and I am sure he is the kind of guy that will lay it on the line for his team, but it would be prudent for the Bills to be thinking about grooming their center of the future.

If Mitch can stay healthy for a few years then you have a bit of runway to get the next guy ready to go, and Biadasz was considered a generational talent at center and would have gone Rd 1 or 2 this year, but decided to play out his last year for the Badgers. I wish the best for Morse, but if Allen is our QB of the future, then ensuring we have him behind a solid center and o-line needs to remain a priority.

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

The 5 last season were concussion related. Prior to that, he didn’t experience any since 2015.

I was assailed in here by someone who railed against my supporting Morse signing for big money here because of his injury past.

I did not realize his concussion history. To whoever it was, I was wrong....and so was Beane.

Edited by I am the egg man

18 minutes ago, klos63 said:

I guess I meant quality depth, which I don't think we have.

“Quality depth” is kind of a misnomer, especially on the OL in the nfl, where a lot of teams don’t even have quality starters. But having not one, but two other players who started at C all of last season is actually considered quality depth. I personally prefer neither of them start at C for the Bills, but can’t say they don’t have a plan B - which is never the same as plan A unless you are perhaps playing more than one guy a giant contract at the same position (?)

Edited by YoloinOhio