Mitch Morse in concussion protocol

6 hours ago, Doc said:

If he retires, they'll get go after and get the unamortized SB back.

Signing bonus is the least of it here.  $20.4M fully guaranteed at signing, including $11M signing bonus.

But he's not going to retire just for that reason, no more than Eric Wood did

2 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

Anyone downplaying this as in "I'll worry about it when he starts missing games" has their head in the sand.  The guy missed the end of last season with a concussion issue, has had other concussion issues in the past, and now the first time they practice in pads, out he goes.  This is a major red flag about a guy who everyone thought was going to anchor the line for the next 5 years.

They better hope that the other centers on the roster are "average"...worst case scenario.

Yes.  Extremely worrisome for a guy handed that much guaranteed money.

There's always a dice roll signing FA with an injury history.  You do your due diligence and hope it's over and done.

But this is kinda looking like the dice came up wrong.

I will say one thing: reportedly, Morse has been seen doing ladder drills vigorously on the sidelines.  A bunch of concussion symptoms have overlap with symptoms of other causes.  Usually with a concussion, ladder drills are not an immediately recommended activity ....

• Thank you (+1) 1

13 hours ago, MR8 said:

Looks like Bodine is safe to make this team... I don't see a world where they want Spencer Long at C for an extended period... his natural position is OG.  Feliciano is also more of a spot duty guy... they need to keep Bodine now IMHO. 

hopefully someone gets by another team  and we get a capable backup. 

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Signing bonus is the least of it here.  $20.4M fully guaranteed at signing, including $11M signing bonus.

But he's not going to retire just for that reason, no more than Eric Wood did

Yes.  Extremely worrisome for a guy handed that much guaranteed money.

There's always a dice roll signing FA with an injury history.  You do your due diligence and hope it's over and done.

But this is kinda looking like the dice came up wrong.

I will say one thing: reportedly, Morse has been seen doing ladder drills vigorously on the sidelines.  A bunch of concussion symptoms have overlap with symptoms of other causes.  Usually with a concussion, ladder drills are not an immediately recommended activity ....

Pegula's need to be pro-active and spring for a new hyperbaric sarcophagus for re-Morse to sleep in at night............that's how Bill Romanowski survived his 150+ concussions!

Get one with a plaid flannel lining and Mitch will be sleeping like a baby and back on the field in no time.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Pegula's need to be pro-active and spring for a new hyperbaric sarcophagus for re-Morse to sleep in at night............that's how Bill Romanowski survived his 150+ concussions!

Get one with a plaid flannel lining and Mitch will be sleeping like a baby and back on the field in no time.

I thought there was a hyperbaric chamber or room full in the new training center?  Not sure sleeping in it is the recommended treatment duration....though I believe Alex Smith sleeps in one. 

Not going to go plowing through the Bills web site to find the pics, but it does highlight the paradox of building a SOFTA training center then training away from it.

3 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Dude is a WIZARD 

Trollers gonna troll

3 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

These are the same injuries that have stalled their careers in the past.............whether you like it or not there are now serious concerns about their ability to perform.

I mean these dudes didn't make it to AUGUST without re-injury.........let alone any kind of game action.?

Beane isn't having much luck with giving contracts to centers..........prematurely extends Eric Wood then he retires........signs Bodine and he stinks.......signs Morse and he is in concussion protocol before the pads are even on.    Witchcraft I tell ya'!?

Tyler Croft yes his career has been stalled by injury

Mitch Morse has not.....despite his injuries he has had a very successful career I dont know how anyone can even say that it has stalled.....when you are considered a top 5 center in the league your career did not stall

Yes...the concussions are concerning nobody can say different

• Awesome! (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, AllensBigBalls said:

Not really when every year you hear of other teams losing players for the season with guys tearing ACL's the first day of camp...

Nope, the Bills are the only team that ever has injuries, because Buffalo / McBeane / "That guy is soft"... :beer: 

• Haha (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Stank_Nasty said:

It’s silly to quickly count out kroft and Morse or chalk them up as losses already and then on top of that leave out how good Brown and Beasley have looked to try and prove a point against the GM... geez man

Whoa, whoa, whoa .... slow your roll, tough guy.  You're talking to ROYALTY, there.

One thing you have to learn:  a) nobody, and I mean NOBODY, knows more about football than that guy.  And b) he's untouchable, ya know.  Just ask him.  Runs this place, he does.  It's what football geniuses do, man.  They run stuff.

8 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

These are the same injuries that have stalled their careers in the past.............whether you like it or not there are now serious concerns about their ability to perform.

I mean these dudes didn't make it to AUGUST without re-injury.........let alone any kind of game action.?

Beane isn't having much luck with giving contracts to centers..........prematurely extends Eric Wood then he retires........signs Bodine and he stinks.......signs Morse and he is in concussion protocol before the pads are even on.    Witchcraft I tell ya'!?

8 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Dude is a WIZARD 

It is so stinkin' cute how you worship him.  You're like his little puppy.  I love stuff like this!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Overstating the obvious, this certainly isn't good for the player, the QB, and the team overall.

Maybe time to trade Shady for a more experienced Center than Bodine.  My point around this is with Gore, Singletary, Yeldon on roster from a depth perspective (and Shady's production last year) .. I think Center its important role and the drop off from Morse to Bodine is more serious than drop off at RB if Shady traded.

Though the injury sucks, wonder who along the D caused the concussion, first week in pads.  Ed Oliver?  I like what I'm hearing about our D so far in training camp and if their blasting OL in first week of practice maybe there is a positive thread in this injury disaster.

2 minutes ago, WideRightRevenge said:

Overstating the obvious, this certainly isn't good for the player, the QB, and the team overall.

Maybe time to trade Shady for a more experienced Center than Bodine.  My point around this is with Gore, Singletary, Yeldon on roster from a depth perspective (and Shady's production last year) .. I think Center its important role and the drop off from Morse to Bodine is more serious than drop off at RB if Shady traded.

Though the injury sucks, wonder who along the D caused the concussion, first week in pads.  Ed Oliver?  I like what I'm hearing about our D so far in training camp and if their blasting OL in first week of practice maybe there is a positive thread in this injury disaster.

I would think McCoy has zero value. You certainly aren’t getting a center of any skill back in return. McCoy is coming off a poor year, is highly paid for a RB, and is old. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Bills2ref said:

I would think McCoy has zero value. You certainly aren’t getting a center of any skill back in return. McCoy is coming off a poor year, is highly paid for a RB, and is old. 

You're probably right ... but let's get into pre-season and potential other RB injuries and maybe the market opens up a little.

• Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Whoa, whoa, whoa .... slow your roll, tough guy.  You're talking to ROYALTY, there.

One thing you have to learn:  a) nobody, and I mean NOBODY, knows more about football than that guy.  And b) he's untouchable, ya know.  Just ask him.  Runs this place, he does.  It's what football geniuses do, man.  They run stuff.

It’s just comical because I remember discussing with somebody just days ago that the minute something even slightly negative happen they’ll be some sharks to the blood so to speak, telling “I told you so”....

well here we are. Morse is now a complete bust of a signing and can’t even remember his name or his way to the locker room, kroft might have to have his foot amputated, and how good can brown and Beasley be if McDermott is comparing them to smurfs???  Though you’ll notice Badol conveniently left those 2 out of his statement because their good play didn’t support the BS he’s been spouting. 

Thank you @ScottLaw and @BADOLBILZ for setting us straight on our hack of a GM. 

Edited by Stank_Nasty
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I think people are overreacting. Let's get through this season and see what happens. They should probably draft a center prospect in the off season regardless of how Morse does. Yes, it's a concern, but with 7 new starters on the offense, I don't think anyone realistically thinks this is a Super Bowl winning season anyway so there is still time to build.

53 minutes ago, WideRightRevenge said:

The guy has 74 starts in his career.  Where are you going to find a more experienced center than Bodine.

I sometimes feel people don't even watch the games or expect perfection out of every player.

Bodine was more than serviceable last year with some of the worst guards the NFL has seen.

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

This is immature logic. 

Every decision is a gamble in its simplest terms.  If I sign FA X, will he be worth the money?  That is a gamble too.  It's the NFL, every player in the league has some injury history.  Granted, it is certainly a relevant consideration, and different GMs weigh those concerns differently, but your characterization is simple minded. 

It's an observation of Beane's style.  In his two plus years as GM, he's repeatedly gambled on players coming off injuries or with injury histories.  He's also traded up to draft "project players" in the first round.   The high risk/high reward game that Beane's played hasn't had a lot of success so far.  That could change but at this point, it's been all high risk without real success yet.

9 hours ago, Doc said:

If you had your way, the Bills would be paying Sammy $16M/year to get less than 600 yards a season, which would be the biggest bust of all, Gilmore $13M/year to do little more than White is doing, and Dareus $17M/year to be a run stopper and be a bad influence on the younger players.  :lol:

If I had my way, Patrick Mahomes and Robert Woods would be Bills.

• Thank you (+1) 1