Do you rely on online reviews?

Another Fan

I checked out my dentists online reviews on google and it’s close to 5 stars with about 25 reviews.  I was a little surprised, I know in general dentists offices feel like torture chambers but there’s some stuff in those reviews I disagree with.

On the other hand at work I had to call some company to have credit card info straightened out.  When I googled the business I saw it had 1.5 stars/5.  Customer service to many was non exist in the reviews.  I was expecting to want to shove an ice pick in my ear when I called but found someone very personable who took care of me right away.

Go figure 

I may for some products, but I don't base my full decision on them. I also prefer to read 3-4 star reviews over the 0/1 and 5 star ones. Most of the 3-4 star ones are honest reviews of it. The 5s are typically people/bots being paid to bump up a rating and the 0/1s are people who either had a rare bad experience or have an agenda.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Yes, I read them, no I do not necessarily rely on them.

Ever read some 1 star reviews? "UPS delivered a day late!"  How in the world does that matter to the product performance.  

I do find myself reading 1-2-3 star reviews more often than 5-star reviews, however. If a product/service sucks, I want to know why. After reading, I then make my decision. For local restaurants? I ask my brother.  He's an exterminator. If he tells me "Do NOT eat there", we listen (sucks because he told us that about one of our favorite Thai restaurants). 

• Like (+1) 2

Sure! I love to know what the wife of a restaurant owner thinks of his place!

I’ll read them, and look at the # of reviews they have. If they have a ton of reviews, they may still be idiots, but are less likely to have a narrow agenda. The idiots who HATE a place for some silly reason (net enough vegan options is a favorite), I ignore. 

• Like (+1) 1

I used to base approximately 90% of my purchases for expensive items on reviews, but now I kind of take them with a grain of salt due to being able to use external sources to completely skew the reviews. ....someone posted a good piece a few weeks ago about how ***** Yelp is an how its basically extortion.  A good read.

• Thank you (+1) 2

Just now, RaoulDuke79 said:

I used to base approximately 90% of my purchases for expensive items on reviews, but now I kind of take them with a grain of salt due to being able to use external sources to completely skew the reviews. ....someone posted a good piece a few weeks ago about how ***** Yelp is an how its basically extortion.  A good read.

That was an eye opener. A good read, but of course I’m too lazy to go looking for it. I think it’s best that I remain consistent in that regard. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Reviews???? 

Eff that.

When I need to know the real deal, I start a poll in Off the Wall, baby.

So, you are more trusting of the idiots you know? 

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

As long as @Cripple Creek, @BringBackFergy, @mrags, @LeviF91, @Joe in Winslow or @plenzmd1 don't chime in .... yes.

Please take a look at my Yelp review of the Exit 18 McDonald’s. The fries were crunchy, salty with a slight bend. Great ice cubes (rectangular rather than square for great surface area and cooling). The burger was warm, with hints of grassy flavor and fresh thyme. Hoping you rely on this review. 

14 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

Please take a look at my Yelp review of the Exit 18 McDonald’s. The fries were crunchy, salty with a slight bend. Great ice cubes (rectangular rather than square for great surface area and cooling). The burger was warm, with hints of grassy flavor and fresh thyme. Hoping you rely on this review. 

Thankfully I've been replaced on "The list"

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

I trust Amazon product reviews. Restaurants reviews rarely, live and learn is my dining approach.

Reviews of Doctors never, I know enough Professional people in the health field to properly guide me. 

4.5-5 star resorts, hotels, B'n'B's only. Movies never. Not because of the review but because of who goes.

Edited by I am the egg man

5 hours ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

Ever read some 1 star reviews? "UPS delivered a day late!"  How in the world does that matter to the product performance.  

I LOVE reading the 1 star novels; absolutely hilarious. These are the people holding up lines all over the country with ridiculous complaints. 

• Haha (+1) 2

7 hours ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

Yes, I read them, no I do not necessarily rely on them.

I do find myself reading 1-2-3 star reviews more often than 5-star reviews, however. If a product/service sucks, I want to know why. After reading, I then make my decision. For local restaurants? I ask my brother.  He's an exterminator. If he tells me "Do NOT eat there", we listen (sucks because he told us that about one of our favorite Thai restaurants). 

Off topic but this reminded me of something that happened when I worked at Olive Garden in Amherst when I was in college. They had a real bad roach problem and a few of them decided to walk across an occupied table. The guests complained and were given gift cards. They came back the next day and ate. They were everywhere it was gross. 

The galleria mall food court was much worse. Never eat at those Chinese restaurants. 

• Like (+1) 1

I feel like the utility of reviews in general started out as a great concept in theory but given the ease with which they can be manipulated or skewed unfairly, forces me to look at them with a jaundiced eye. So much so that they will barely register in terms of a final decision, which is sad. The wifey on the other hand really goes by them so I guess we balance out in the wash? 

17 hours ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

The poster who did that was me, @Limeaid.  

And I take them with grain of salt now.

Edited by Limeaid