Man lives after plunging over the Canadian side of Niagara Falls

Happy

https://www.foxnews.com/world/man-survives-niagara-falls-plunge

The man -- who Niagara Parks Police say appeared to be "in crisis" before jumping into the river on the Canadian side -- was observed going over the Horseshoe Falls around 4 a.m. Tuesday morning. He then fell around 167 feet before hitting the water below.

His plunge Tuesday comes 59 years to the day that 7-year-old Roger Woodward went over the falls with a life jacket, and also survived.

If I’m not mistaken, 4 a.m. is also during the hours higher diversion of water is allowed to the power projects on both sides of the river.  Less water going over the falls, I wonder what effect it had on the trip and the landing, if any.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Happy Gilmore said:

https://www.foxnews.com/world/man-survives-niagara-falls-plunge

The man -- who Niagara Parks Police say appeared to be "in crisis" before jumping into the river on the Canadian side -- was observed going over the Horseshoe Falls around 4 a.m. Tuesday morning. He then fell around 167 feet before hitting the water below.

His plunge Tuesday comes 59 years to the day that 7-year-old Roger Woodward went over the falls with a life jacket, and also survived.

Knew this would happen when Canada legalized wacky weed.

To get more income they should have a jump plank and charge to use it and refundable deposit for fishing you out.

2 hours ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

Thats the easy side. ?

Right.  I have not heard of anyone going over the American side, though I'm not sure I'd want to.  That would be a mess.

It's the American Side that is the worse... One has a fighting chance on the Canadian Side.

2 hours ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Right.  I have not heard of anyone going over the American side, though I'm not sure I'd want to.  That would be a mess.

Same here.  The talus  on the American side is the problem.  One may get lucky going over Horseshoe Falls and find a gap and not hit rock.

4 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

If I’m not mistaken, 4 a.m. is also during the hours higher diversion of water is allowed to the power projects on both sides of the river.  Less water going over the falls, I wonder what effect it had on the trip and the landing, if any.

I would think less water would be worse. More exposed rock below. ???

Maybe it's the opposite.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Limeaid said:

Knew this would happen when Canada legalized wacky weed.

To get more income they should have a jump plank and charge to use it and refundable deposit for fishing you out.

Aruba,under Dutch law had one on the northwest side of the island..family invited.Establishments around the island donate meat to the tip...keeping the sharks away from the southern side ,where the resorts are.

18 hours ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

59 years to the day that 7 year-old Roger Woodward became the first person to survive a vessel-less plunge over the Falls. Surreal.

http://www.infoniagara.com/history/rogerwoodward_miracle.aspx

I don't understand how anyone could be on a boat anywhere near the edge of the falls. Even five miles away would be terrifying.  

BTW, in the article, is the 37-year old Roger Woodward with his Mom or his sister (let's hope it's Mom).  

20 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

You're right about the water diversion.  I believe it's negotiated by treaty?  Since the Great Lakes water levels seem to be so high, do the power projects have the capacity to divert additional water?  Could that maybe translate into lower hydro rates?  The utilities are always happy to raise rates, maybe the consumers could finally get a break?

1 hour ago, Max Fischer said:

I don't understand how anyone could be on a boat anywhere near the edge of the falls. Even five miles away would be terrifying.  

BTW, in the article, is the 37-year old Roger Woodward with his Mom or his sister (let's hope it's Mom).  

shoot, we used to ski a  mile or so from the Falls just about everyday in the 70's! But no dropping a ski!!!!current starting to get pretty juicy there!

Would run all  over the upper river just south of the GI Bridge in a sunfish as well ...never any worries. 

Says his sister BTW..yikes!

37 minutes ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

You're right about the water diversion.  I believe it's negotiated by treaty?  Since the Great Lakes water levels seem to be so high, do the power projects have the capacity to divert additional water?  Could that maybe translate into lower hydro rates?  The utilities are always happy to raise rates, maybe the consumers could finally get a break?

Water at the Niagara projects returns to the overall Great Lakes system, slightly downstream.

2 hours ago, Max Fischer said:

Been near the North GI bridges on my friends power boat.  There are large signs not to far north warning to not go any farther.   Woodward, his sister and a family friend wherein a small metal boat with an outboard motor. The engine got damaged and they couldn't start it. 

1 hour ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

Did't you ever go to the Power Viata with your parents? They explained all of it then. Of course nowadays they probably  don't. The water goes through the intakes above the falls, over tp the reservoir in Lewiston, through the power plant and back to the  river All that water still goes to lake Ontario.

20 hours ago, Happy Gilmore said:

...probably would get mugged before you even got close to the water.............

• Haha (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...probably would get mugged before you even got close to the water.............

the chemicals in the air and the smell would knock you out before you got close enough

1 hour ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...LMAO....should just pave the place and plant daisies......pretty 'effin sad...............

it just gets so chemically when you cross the border

same with the bay in Hamilton and Burlington Ontario

4 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

shoot, we used to ski a  mile or so from the Falls just about everyday in the 70's! But no dropping a ski!!!!current starting to get pretty juicy there!

Would run all  over the upper river just south of the GI Bridge in a sunfish as well ...never any worries. 

Says his sister BTW..yikes!

So where did you put the sunfish in the water?

14 hours ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

Tourists only get to see 33% capacity of Falls.  Rest is diverted.  But your eye can't tell the difference because they have been diverting for so many years.

They could make it so 100% is diverted, dry up the spillway (Falls) and run it all through the dam... But the difference is minimal and tourism brings in much more $$$$$.

Betcha they are cranking out the power with no aesthetic constraints during daylight hours seeing how the Middle Three Lakes are extremely high water right now!

Diverting the Falls is saving the Falls from eroding through the cap rock.  If left unchecked, it would only be hundreds of years before the cap rock is gone.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois