NFLPA Email sent to players advising to prepare for work stoppage of at least 1 year

2 minutes ago, Florida Bills Fanatic said:

This is SOP for any responsible labor union.  It has nothing to do with sending a message to the owners about being difficult during negotiations.  With the salary cap growing each year, the players and owners are making a ton of money.  With this much money available and players careers having a limited shelf life, I doubt that a strike or lockout is in the cards.  In addition, there are new tv  and internet streaming contracts to be negotiated soon which will bring more revenue to the league.

LOL.....kinda like the "pot callin' the kettle black"...BOTH sides are guilty of legalized extortion from TV networks, corporate sponsors, etc.....and the average fan is forgotten road kill....the greedy get greedier.......

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, eball said:

Oh, Jesus H. Christ on a popsicle stick.  This is just DeMaurice covering his @ss and advising agents to, you know, do their jobs and actually provide some financial advice to their 20-something year old CLs who have never seen money like this before.

It would be irresponsible not to tell players there is a "possible" work stoppage since the CBA ends after the 2020 season, but by no means do I read this letter to suggest Smith thinks there will be a stoppage.

1. how is that clown still head of NFLPA?  players gonna get played...again,.

2. agents don't manage players money, they maximize it.  They aren't there to tell how to spend it or save it.  Not their job.

I mean - what are the things they would want?  It feels like they barely practice as it is currently, so i'm not sure how much they can scale that back.

More retirement benefits?

Better insurance for life after football? 

Better salary minimums?

The cap is structured around the revenue splits - they have a salary floor (barely) so teams can't tank salaries for a year.  

The only thing i can think is the franchise tag - but the owners like the tag.  Getting rid of that you have to give something back like UFA status after 4 years for example.  2nd/3rd rounders would then be RFAs for a year or something, or you would expand 5th year options to those players as well.  

2 hours ago, whatdrought said:

Definitely worrisome to see this from the leader of the worker side essentially saying "we're going big and I don't want anyone caving early cause they're out of money."

Because that's what has always happened.  Smith, who I don't particularly like, is looking out for his constituents (and his own future with the NFLPA).

2 hours ago, Locomark said:

She put a note in his lunchbox....right after she cut the crust off his PB&J....

@Gugny (aka Crusty) says that the crust is the best part of the bread.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Locomark said:

She put a note in his lunchbox....right after she cut the crust off his PB&J....

But the crust is the best part! 

...wait.....I may be in the wrong place....

2 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

It’s gonna be about the gambling and weed. 

That will be on the list, for sure. I don’t think the NFL really cares about weed, but they won’t hand it over without a concession on something else. 

NFL Radio today was talking about how they want to get going on the CBA. They need that to be done and solid so they can work out the best possible coming TV deals and other revenues sources. Give up some leverage if your product is uncertain. 

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

(aka Crusty) says that the crust is the best part of the bread.

It is, assuming it's crusty bread, like Italian or French.

37 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

Because that's what has always happened.  Smith, who I don't particularly like, is looking out for his constituents (and his own future with the NFLPA).

@Gugny (aka Crusty) says that the crust is the best part of the bread.

Im sure he is looking out for them, but I doubt player wellfare is his greatest motivator in this statement. ? 

3 hours ago, JoeF said:

Just when the Bills are starting to show what looks like long term competitiveness....guess the Bills just have to win the next two Lombardi's in a row.....

This isn't hyperbole. Remember the Montreal Expos? The one year they finally looked like contenders, the strike ended their season -- and essentially their franchise.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, dneveu said:

I mean - what are the things they would want?  It feels like they barely practice as it is currently, so i'm not sure how much they can scale that back.

Better salary minimums?

The cap is structured around the revenue splits - they have a salary floor (barely) so teams can't tank salaries for a year.  

The only thing i can think is the franchise tag - but the owners like the tag.  Getting rid of that you have to give something back like UFA status after 4 years for example.  2nd/3rd rounders would then be RFAs for a year or something, or you would expand 5th year options to those players as well.  

Umm... they want a bigger piece of the pie. It's all about money. Obviously. I'm assuming they also want to do away with the rookie wage scale, franchise tag, fifth year option on rookie deals, and anything else that limits a player's potential earnings. They probably also want to take away the commissioner's monopoly on player discipline.

NFL players actually get a smaller percentage of revenue than players in many pro sports leagues.

I personally don't care one bit about all that stuff, as long as they line up and play on Sundays. I have no dog in the fight.

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Im sure he is looking out for them, but I doubt player wellfare is his greatest motivator in this statement. ? 

Don't disagree entirely, but, for the players to get what they want they have to be willing to wait out the owners.  They can't wait as long as the billionaires, but, if they can make them hurt a bit, including in public opinion, they stand a better chance.

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, MJS said:

Umm... they want a bigger piece of the pie. It's all about money. Obviously. I'm assuming they also want to do away with the rookie wage scale, franchise tag, fifth year option on rookie deals, and anything else that limits a player's potential earnings. They probably also want to take away the commissioner's monopoly on player discipline.

NFL players actually get a smaller percentage of revenue than players in many pro sports leagues.

I personally don't care one bit about all that stuff, as long as they line up and play on Sundays. I have no dog in the fight.

i do not think that most of the players fight to hard on the rookie salary slots- the slots only hurt a handful of players each year and most guys probably resent a rookie who would be guaranteed 80 million without any production especially in a salary cap league. i would think they would fight hard for a bigger piece of pie overall and to limit Goddells power. 

• Like (+1) 4

1 hour ago, dneveu said:

Better salary minimums?

If I was the players I would want more guaranteed contracts especially at the lower salary tiers, being able to use medical marijuana for pain, % of gambling revenue, and to your point better salary minimums.

• Like (+1) 2

Hopefully this is just gamesmanship. I tend to hear these types of doom and gloom predictions from both sides whenever there is another labor dispute. Would be just our luck though to finally have a playoff or even super bowl caliber team and then have a protracted work stoppage.

Edited by Leonhart2017

4 hours ago, eball said:

Oh, Jesus H. Christ on a popsicle stick.  This is just DeMaurice covering his @ss and advising agents to, you know, do their jobs and actually provide some financial advice to their 20-something year old CLs who have never seen money like this before.

It would be irresponsible not to tell players there is a "possible" work stoppage since the CBA ends after the 2020 season, but by no means do I read this letter to suggest Smith thinks there will be a stoppage.

It’s also leaked like a day after PFT wrote an article saying all’s good and the owners must have won big if they seem fine giving a little more this time.