Sign in to follow this  
HOUSE

Bills secondary left out of top-tier mention

1 hour ago, HOUSE said:

By: Justin DiLoro | 5 hours ago

Usually, teams who have the best secondaries often limit the number of passing yards allowed.

Apparently, Fox Sports didn’t get that memo.

The outlet sent out a Twitter poll asking “Which NFL team has the best secondary?” The poll, which featured the options of the Baltimore Ravens, Los Angeles Chargers, Chicago Bears, and Cleveland Browns, curiously left off the team who allowed the fewest passing yards in the league last season.

The Buffalo Bills.

The Bills led the league by allowing only 179.8 passing yards per game, a 15-yard cushion over the second-place Jacksonville Jaguars.

Bills safety Micah Hyde noticed this omission.

https://billswire.usatoday.com/2019/05/17/buffalo-bills-secondary-left-out-mention-micah-hyde/

Hopefully, it will put a little "s*** in our secondary's grits" and inspire them on game day.

The Bills are generally speaking off the national radar esp when the team is average or bad. So I don't know why fans are always shocked or indignant when they get disrespected or ignored by the national media. 

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

rex got too cute

I will accept ‘fancy’, ‘tricky’, or ‘unconventional’.  ‘Cute’ is not allowed for that mug, and even less allowed for his brudder.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Just watch the pundits take notice when we start stunting Eddie O back there...

Didn’t Wrecks have some hare brained schemes about defensive players dropping back in passing situations to non traditional coverage from their normal positions?

1 minute ago, Bill from NYC said:

Yes, he used to send Dareus, at 340 or so pounds into coverage. Sometimes he would stand still waving his arms.

Something wrong with that? ;)

Edited by Bill from NYC

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

I will accept ‘fancy’, ‘tricky’, or ‘unconventional’.  ‘Cute’ is not allowed for that mug, and even less allowed for his brudder.

Touché 

Rex outsmarted himself and turned a dominant 43 defense into a joke of a 34 that was full of out of  position players 

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

Something wrong with that?  ;)

“Hey, look!  Isn’t that Jabba the Hut waving?!”

• Haha (+1) 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, TroutDog said:

We gave up 114 yards per game at 4.2 ypc and there were multiple games with over 200 yards.

Overall, yes, the numbers were good but that’s because we were always playing from behind and other teams were simply running to burn the clock. 

16th in rush yds allowed and that 4.2 you referenced was good enough for 10th best in the league. that's hardly teams running "all over us".... i'm confused as to how somebody would take the time to look up those numbers but then leave out the rankings..... that's a complete lack of context.

1 hour ago, Doc said:

They were 16th in terms of rushing yards/game surrendered.  And the number of running plays they faced was 22nd most, which is about 3 more running plays a game from top-10.  If they were in the bottom of the pack in most of those categories, I would agree with you.  But the passing yards/play is the most important stat.

exactly. not sure where he's getting "ran all over us"

must have just watched the 2nd pats game and tuned out the rest.

Edited by Stank_Nasty
  • Thanks! (+1) 1

It was a twitter poll...90% of the people have no idea about anything other than their own team they just go with what they have heard...some of that is now probably several years old

It's just a twitter poll. Not very scientific, is it?

2 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

It was a twitter poll...90% of the people have no idea about anything other than their own team they just go with what they have heard...some of that is now probably several years old

Beat me to it.

18 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

16th in rush yds allowed and that 4.2 you referenced was good enough for 10th best in the league. that's hardly teams running "all over us".... i'm confused as to how somebody would take the time to look up those numbers but then leave out the rankings..... that's a complete lack of context.

exactly. not sure where he's getting "ran all over us"

must have just watched the 2nd pats game and tuned out the rest.

My point was that there were multiple games where teams barreled over us. It happened many times last year. 

Great run defenses don’t allow that, in my opinion. We need to improve there and, again, in my opinion, it requires setting the edge which we failed to do in multiple games. 

• Like (+1) 2

In fairness, who’s our #2 DB?  I know we have solid options, but it’s not even in writing yet 

• Like (+1) 1

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, TroutDog said:

My point was that there were multiple games where teams barreled over us. It happened many times last year. 

Great run defenses don’t allow that, in my opinion. We need to improve there and, again, in my opinion, it requires setting the edge which we failed to do in multiple games. 

all fair points on that last statement there.I agree to be a great d they need to sure up the run d. but you're moving the goal posts. that was not your original point....  your initial argument was about our pass numbers being helped by an awful run d. the run d was average in yds allowed and top ten in YPC. that point holds no water. you referenced those numbers as if they somehow helped that argument. and they didn't.... at all.

Edited by Stank_Nasty

3 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

all fair points on that last statement there.I agree to be a great d they need to sure up the run d. but you're moving the goal posts. that was not your original point....  your initial argument was about our pass numbers being helped by an awful run d. the run d was average in yds allowed and top ten in YPC. that point holds no water. you referenced those numbers as if they somehow helped that argument. and they didn't.... at all.

Fair enough. 

• Like (+1) 1

Posted (edited)

CBS needs a public stoning...

Image result for boulder falls on car

Edited by HOUSE

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, TroutDog said:

I agree our secondary is good but teams did run all over us last year so no need for huge passing numbers. 

While I think this needs to be clarified (ran all over us) I do think if you defend the run better, you will see more pass attempts and thus the yardage will go up a bit.  So I'm not sure I have an issue here except with having the Browns over the Bills and Jags.  The Browns, based on last year shouldn't even be on this list.  I'll show why I think this below.  But let's look at this.

The Bills had to defend the run 440 times

The Bears 339 times

The Ravens 354 times

The Chargers 395 times

The Browns 454 times

The Bills had to defend the pass 492 times 30.8 attempts per game

The Bears 615 times  38.4 attempts per game

The Ravens 577 times 36.1 attempts per game

The Chargers 533 times  34.2 attempts per game

The Browns 626 times  39.1 attempts per game

Here is how I look at this.  The Bills because they had to defend the run more than the top 3 teams on that list were going to have less pass defense snaps per game.  The top 3 not only defended the run well forcing teams to pass, but they had more pass attempts to defend and when it comes to passing yards per game, which is what Micah cites to suggest that we've been slighted, they are still in the top 10 in yards per game too.  So to me, because those teams had more attempts to defend and they are around 30 yds or less per game in the ball park, I can't say that we clearly have the better secondary, if this is just based on numbers.  We had enough less attempts to defend to make those numbers be in our favor.

The Browns though.  To me, this is where the slap in the face comes in.  Let's look at them.  Not only did they have to defend the run more than we did, they had a significant number more pass attempts to defend and their total yards per game is not even in the same ball park.  We at least should have been on the damn list over the Browns.  Either us or Jacksonville before the Browns.  So to wrap this up I don't necessarily have an issue with them talking about Chicago, Baltimore, and San Diego per se.  But to have the Browns mentioned over us is just foolishness.

Edited by NewEraBills
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks! (+1) 2

2 hours ago, HOUSE said:
Related image

That's Our Boy right there !!

Great picture that says it all.

16 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

CBS needs a public stoning...

Image result for boulder falls on car

that's a hell of a backstory when i opened it up . 
well done House !

3 hours ago, Dopey said:

Under the radar isn't a bad thing. Sneak attack.

Under the radar with media is not necessarily under the radar with other teams.  I'm guessing Belichick knows better.

• Like (+1) 1

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, NewEraBills said:

While I think this needs to be clarified (ran all over us) I do think if you defend the run better, you will see more pass attempts and thus the yardage will go up a bit.  So I'm not sure I have an issue here except with having the Browns over the Bills and Jags.  The Browns, based on last year shouldn't even be on this list.  I'll show why I think this below.  But let's look at this.

The Bills had to defend the run 440 times

The Bears 339 times

The Ravens 354 times

The Chargers 395 times

The Browns 454 times

The Bills had to defend the pass 492 times 30.8 attempts per game

The Bears 615 times  38.4 attempts per game

The Ravens 577 times 36.1 attempts per game

The Chargers 533 times  34.2 attempts per game

The Browns 626 times  39.1 attempts per game

Here is how I look at this.  The Bills because they had to defend the run more than the top 3 teams on that list were going to have less pass defense snaps per game.  The top 3 not only defended the run well forcing teams to pass, but they had more pass attempts to defend and when it comes to passing yards per game, which is what Micah cites to suggest that we've been slighted, they are still in the top 10 in yards per game too.  So to me, because those teams had more attempts to defend and they are around 30 yds or less per game in the ball park, I can't say that we clearly have the better secondary, if this is just based on numbers.  We had enough less attempts to defend to make those numbers be in our favor.

The Browns though.  To me, this is where the slap in the face comes in.  Let's look at them.  Not only did they have to defend the run more than we did, they had a significant number more pass attempts to defend and their total yards per game is not even in the same ball park.  We at least should have been on the damn list over the Browns.  Either us or Jacksonville before the Browns.  So to wrap this up I don't necessarily have an issue with them talking about Chicago, Baltimore, and San Diego per se.  But to have the Browns mentioned over us is just foolishness.

This is an excellent post.  I not a numbers person but this is a great presentation with those statistics . And the opinion is a solid one.

Thanks for the context NEB !

6 minutes ago, Billzgobowlin said:

Under the radar with media is not necessarily under the radar with other teams.  I'm guessing Belichick knows better.

L Waddle agrees with you about Pats. I agree with you that most all teams know they will get a  full game out of Bills.

Edited by 3rdand12

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, TroutDog said:

Fair enough. 

If anything, the Bills' pass defense (with little in the way of pass rush behind it, mind you) probably forced teams to abandon passing and instead opt to run, which was certainly a weakness for the Bills last year.  But while that would affect (lower) total passing yards against, it would have nothing to do with passing yards/play. 

Edited by Doc

2 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Touché 

Rex outsmarted himself and turned a dominant 43 defense into a joke of a 34 that was full of out of  position players 

...loathe regurgitating that bloviator who cost this club two years of development...TRIVIA QUESTION: "who was the LAST NFL club to employ Wrecks Ryan in ANY coaching position?"....ad nauseam.........a major stain on this franchise....BUT....we are getting through it..............

Posted (edited)

They allowed fewer yards, but I think it could be argued that they didn't play as well as they did in 2017 because the offense wasn't scoring so opponents pssed less on 1st and 2nd down.

Edited by GreggTX
  • Like (+1) 1

I'm fine with this. The media these days is horrible. It's a "hot take" media, which requires only an opinion that doesn't need to be based on fact. The Bills don't generate clicks right now, so they will never be an option.

This fact really hit home recently. Peter King (think what you want) used to be a guy who would cover the NFL and all the teams in it, no matter what. Recently, he never mentions or considers Buffalo. So I wrote him a note. It ended up being one of the letters he answered on his Monday Morning bull#### columns. He basically said, "the Bills haven't won a playoff game in forever, so screw them, I'm only covering the teams that make me feel good about eating Hot Pockets. The "Hot Take" media.

Sign in to follow this