Sign in to follow this  
OldTimeAFLGuy

Duke Williams-" I Can Play If I Stay Out Of Trouble"

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Just a note here that it was not "a mistake".  He was disciplined several times by Auburn including being inactive during a bowl game and being suspended, before he was kicked off for his 3rd strike.

I hope he's turned himself around and works out for us, and for his own sake.  But he was signed to a 3 yr deal by the LA Rams as an UDFA after what would have been his Sr year and given a shot,  and couldn't stick with the team.  The 2016 Rams were not a team overflowing with WR talent at the time, though they may have thought they had more than they did - the point is, he was out-competed by the likes of Pharoh Cooper and Brian Quick not to mention Tavon Austin.  Whether that was on the field or for off-field/meeting room factors can't tell ya.

Hes a huuuuuge long shot, but I’m down to have a lottery ticket or 2 in the 90 man roster. 

For productive discussion around here though, fans need to plan their finances with him as a lottery ticket and not a weekly paycheck though.

Edited by NoSaint
  • Like (+1) 4

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

It was.  3rd strike.  And one of the people he punched was a teammate, who was injured.

This should be a red flag  😀

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Just a note here that it was not "a mistake".  He was disciplined several times by Auburn including being inactive during a bowl game and being suspended, before he was kicked off for his 3rd strike.

I hope he's turned himself around and works out for us, and for his own sake.  But he was signed to a 3 yr deal by the LA Rams as an UDFA after what would have been his Sr year and given a shot,  and couldn't stick with the team.  The 2016 Rams were not a team overflowing with WR talent at the time, though they may have thought they had more than they did - the point is, he was out-competed by the likes of Pharoh Cooper and Brian Quick not to mention Tavon Austin.  Whether that was on the field or for off-field/meeting room factors can't tell ya.

Great info, thanks.  Normally, I'd be against bringing someone in with so many red flags.  I don't know what it is about this kid that has me in his corner.  But I am.  It would be a great story if he ends up with a sustained NFL career.  I guess we shall see.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Great info, thanks.  Normally, I'd be against bringing someone in with so many red flags.  I don't know what it is about this kid that has me in his corner.  But I am.  It would be a great story if he ends up with a sustained NFL career.  I guess we shall see.

He avoided discipline issues and performed very well in the CFL for 2 seasons. 

Like many a college star athlete, he was apparently infected with "BMOC" syndrome and let his taste of celebrity lead to entitlement.    A couple years in the wastelands of Edmonton could have been curative.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Haha (+1) 1

He’s a different type of receiver than the Bills have on the roster being a taller and physically receiver.  He has talent and I hope he sticks with the team 

• Like (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I’m more excited about him than any of our WR additions.  Not because he’s the best, but because he’s such an unknown.  He could be cut.  He could be our best WR (unlikely, but Robert Foster was our best WR last year and he was cut during the season)

Same here. He has been left out of WR talk...like a non-entity. Interesting dark horse.

What confuses me is I thought Beane and McDermott only want choir boys?

Maybe he is a good tenor.

• Haha (+1) 2

I am glad to hear that the incident is in the past and he seems to have turned it around. However, I find the fact that he made the statement somewhat ominous.

As far as I know, he hasn't had any off the field issues since he left Auburn. Hopefully, he turns out to be a good pick up.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

More like one year.   This is a guy who was dropped by Auburn, failed miserably as an UDFA with the Rams and came into his first training camp in the CFL unprepaired?   What kind of 5-watt light does he have burning upstairs??

https://buffalonews.com/2019/05/04/buffalo-bills-josh-allen-brandon-beane-nfl-draft-vic-carucci-football/

"...Early in his first training camp with the Eskimos, one night after mandatory practices and meetings, Reilly hosted a players-only walkthrough on the field.

Reilly was the franchise quarterback, a two-time Grey Cup champion on the way to being named the CFL’s Most Outstanding Player of 2017. He’s since become the third quarterback in league history to throw for more than 5,000 yards in three consecutive seasons, joining Anthony Cavillo and Doug Flutie.

Reilly commanded respect. And he didn’t think twice about holding Williams to account.

“We were going through some of our no-huddle hand signals,” Reilly recalled, “and I noticed he wasn’t really paying attention how I wanted him to, and so I called him out in front of everybody and asked him what the previous play was and what his route was on it and all that stuff, and he didn’t have an answer for me.”

Williams stammered and tried to guess.

“And he’s like, ‘Nah, you wrong,’ ” Williams remembered. “He was like, ‘You ain’t going to be here long doing that. This is our job. We feed our families with this.’

-------------------------------------------------

Williams caught 46 passes for 715 yards and four touchdowns in 13 games that season, but once he caught a couple of deep balls, defensive coordinators began to game plan against him, all but eliminating that aspect of his game.

Williams' limited repertoire became apparent, as did his poor conditioning. He surpassed 100 receiving yards in four of his first seven games, and then never again down the stretch.

Williams’ playing time decreased, along with his productivity, as more capable teammates returned from injuries.  Williams recorded no stats in the team’s final five games, all victories until a playoff loss to the Calgary Stampeders in the West Final.

11 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Like many a college star athlete, he was apparently infected with "BMOC" syndrome and let his taste of celebrity lead to entitlement.    A couple years in the wastelands of Edmonton could have been curative.

I hope he does well. If he has matured, we could use his toughness.

His back story is worth looking up. He came from a town on Florida that is basically Hell. 

26 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

It was.  3rd strike.  And one of the people he punched was a teammate, who was injured.  Reports at the time was that the teammate threatened to press charges unless Williams was dismissed. 

He had previously been disciplined twice, once by benching during a bowl game (when he had been Auburn's leading WR that season) and once pre-season.

Let’s hope he’s learned and isn’t a simmering Richie Incognito.  I know, very different situations as Incognito likely has a mental health issue(s) not just an anger management one. 

28 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

It was.  3rd strike.  And one of the people he punched was a teammate, who was injured.  Reports at the time was that the teammate threatened to press charges unless Williams was dismissed. 

He had previously been disciplined twice, once by benching during a bowl game (when he had been Auburn's leading WR that season) and once pre-season.

Sounds like Jerry Hughes found someone to fight at training camp now that Mills is gone.

• Haha (+1) 4

9 minutes ago, Lurker said:

More like one year.   This is a guy who was dropped by Auburn, failed miserably as an UDFA with the Rams and came into his first training camp in the CFL unprepaired?   What kind of 5-watt light does he have burning upstairs??

https://buffalonews.com/2019/05/04/buffalo-bills-josh-allen-brandon-beane-nfl-draft-vic-carucci-football/

"...Early in his first training camp with the Eskimos, one night after mandatory practices and meetings, Reilly hosted a players-only walkthrough on the field.

Reilly was the franchise quarterback, a two-time Grey Cup champion on the way to being named the CFL’s Most Outstanding Player of 2017. He’s since become the third quarterback in league history to throw for more than 5,000 yards in three consecutive seasons, joining Anthony Cavillo and Doug Flutie.

Reilly commanded respect. And he didn’t think twice about holding Williams to account.

“We were going through some of our no-huddle hand signals,” Reilly recalled, “and I noticed he wasn’t really paying attention how I wanted him to, and so I called him out in front of everybody and asked him what the previous play was and what his route was on it and all that stuff, and he didn’t have an answer for me.”

Williams stammered and tried to guess.

“And he’s like, ‘Nah, you wrong,’ ” Williams remembered. “He was like, ‘You ain’t going to be here long doing that. This is our job. We feed our families with this.’

-------------------------------------------------

Williams caught 46 passes for 715 yards and four touchdowns in 13 games that season, but once he caught a couple of deep balls, defensive coordinators began to game plan against him, all but eliminating that aspect of his game.

Williams' limited repertoire became apparent, as did his poor conditioning. He surpassed 100 receiving yards in four of his first seven games, and then never again down the stretch.

Williams’ playing time decreased, along with his productivity, as more capable teammates returned from injuries.  Williams recorded no stats in the team’s final five games, all victories until a playoff loss to the Calgary Stampeders in the West Final.

Correction accepted on the "played well 2 seasons"

I would personally take 46 receptions for 715 yds; that would have had him leading the Bills for receiving yds last year.

But yeah, big question is whether he's really gotten the clue that he needs all his focus and effort to make it in the NFL

The sheer physical talent levels are too similar to get by while mentally slacking.

If he trucks Gilmore like that other db I’ll get his jersey

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I love guys who are talented and hungry with something to prove or a chip on their shoulder.  

Duke being hungry like this, self aware of what he needs to do off the field, how he has to earn everything and being honest that it could be his best chance or even last chance at the NFL is great to see.

I am excited for the kid and looking forward to seeing him compete to be on this team.

Agreed 100% - Duke is the only reason I was more or less okay with not taking a WR at all in the draft. While not a true rookie, I appreciate the attitude he's bringing and the motivation would rival that of anyone looking to prove themselves in the league. He's shown the talent and ability at multiple levels thus far and now needs to take the next step. We can say this from the comfort of a solid FA haul with Brown and Beasley giving Allen the more consistent support, but for people wanting that big fast DK type receiver, you may not have to look further than our current roster with this guy. Time will tell, but I think we see a great option emerge for Allen here.

These kids have to live up to a higher standard then we did, or most of the other students. There is a big difference between doing a bad thing and being a bad guy.  All of us have made mistakes.    An important part of the coaches job is taking a kid who did some dumb things and helping him grow up.  Finding players that are being undervalued because they did dumb things is another way to add talent to a roster.   I hope Duke is someone who is going to mature and help the team in an area they can surly use help.   

• Like (+1) 4

I am all in to redemption and he has kept "clean" for two years in the CFL so that is not a major concern.  I see his tape in Canada I just dont think he is fast/quick enough. He is not going to get that running start in the NFL,   Going to be a lot more difficult to get separation in the NFL.  Wonder if ha can/willing to play special teams. I think he can make the team but doubt there is a hidden superstar.

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I love guys who are talented and hungry with something to prove or a chip on their shoulder.  

Duke being hungry like this, self aware of what he needs to do off the field, how he has to earn everything and being honest that it could be his best chance or even last chance at the NFL is great to see.

I am excited for the kid and looking forward to seeing him compete to be on this team.

I'm pulling for him, Alphadawg7!

• Thanks! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

Are you confusing him with Lamont Jackson?  I honestly don't get the reference to Duke's mother.

Anyway - from the day we signed him, I've been intrigued.  I love that he admits his mistake.  He certainly paid for it.  Count me in as one who would love to see him make the team and have a great career in Buffalo.  

I agree with you.  I'm intrigued as well and hope he makes it.  I just have serious doubts.  I've seen so many people given second chances that just fail and revert back to the same crap they were doing.  I hope he has it together and proves his doubters (like me) wrong.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, mcdamit said:

These kids have to live up to a higher standard then we did, or most of the other students. There is a big difference between doing a bad thing and being a bad guy.  All of us have made mistakes.    An important part of the coaches job is taking a kid who did some dumb things and helping him grow up.  Finding players that are being undervalued because they did dumb things is another way to add talent to a roster.   I hope Duke is someone who is going to mature and help the team in an area they can surly use help.   

I'm all for second chances, redemption, the guys that can turn a troubled past into being a good inllfluence/productive member of society.  That said, elite athletes do NOT have to live up to a higher standard. For the players that get in trouble, many are given the chance to redeem themselves. Take a normal college kid, add significant legal trouble, and you'll see a large number of opportunities closed. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

.....better put on the big boyz' pants lad because this may be your ONLY shot at the NFL.....be smart and good luck.....

Bills’ former CFL star Duke Williams: I can play in the NFL, if I stay out of trouble

Posted by Michael David Smith on May 4, 2019, 8:07 AM EDT

Bills wide receiver Duke Williams knows he’s running out of chances as a football player.

Williams was kicked off the team at Auburn after a bar brawl that saw him punch four people, but he was able to revive his football career in the Canadian Football League and led the league with 1,579 receiving yards last year. That got the Bills’ attention, and they signed him in January.

Williams told the Buffalo News he knows he’s going to have to prove himself off the field just as much as on the field.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/05/04/bills-former-cfl-star-duke-williams-i-can-play-in-the-nfl-if-i-stay-out-of-trouble/

I hear the excitement but at the same time, troubles aside, he wasn’t a good NFL prospect On the feild either coming out. 

CFL helped mitigate his speed deficiency with that running start. 

But we’ll see. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Rocket94 said:

Same here. He has been left out of WR talk...like a non-entity. Interesting dark horse.

Hes gotten an unreasonably high amount of attention with many projecting him to start even. 

11 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

I hear the excitement but at the same time, troubles aside, he wasn’t a good NFL prospect On the feild either coming out. 

CFL helped mitigate his speed deficiency with that running start. 

But we’ll see. 

...agree...to coin the Mizzou gang...."show me".....

• Like (+1) 2

Sign in to follow this