Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
OldTimeAFLGuy

Duke Williams-" I Can Play If I Stay Out Of Trouble"

Recommended Posts

Well yeah. more so now. I am anxious to see how he is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, HOUSE said:

This should be a red flag  😀

Being drunk isn't much of an excuse but that was the case with him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When things get tough, will he be a different guy?  His own admission if he can stay out of trouble.  It's easy to blame getting into trouble over not being good enough.  This is an interesting story heading into the summer.  Can he out physical Dbs in the NFL.  Can he seperate vs NFL dbs.  Those are the questions that landed him into the CFL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mcdamit said:

These kids have to live up to a higher standard then we did, or most of the other students. There is a big difference between doing a bad thing and being a bad guy.  All of us have made mistakes.    An important part of the coaches job is taking a kid who did some dumb things and helping him grow up.  Finding players that are being undervalued because they did dumb things is another way to add talent to a roster.   I hope Duke is someone who is going to mature and help the team in an area they can surly use help.   

 

Really?  "A higher standard than we did, or most of the other students"?  I don't know where you went to school, but where I live, starting a fight with the bouncers outside a club would get your a** arrested, thrown in jail, and charged, instead of not even NAMED in the police report, not arrested, not charged.  And being late to a non-athlete job repeatedly would get your a** fired.

 

He may not be a bad guy, but he wasn't "held to a higher standard", he got extra changes for being a football star at a school where sports are important.

 

Agree that finding players who are undervalued because they are higher risk (have a past) is one way to add talent.

 

1 hour ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

I hear the excitement but at the same time, troubles aside, he wasn’t a good NFL prospect On the feild either coming out. 

CFL helped mitigate his speed deficiency with that running start. 

But we’ll see.

 

Running start?  See this (yep, that's Duke Williams):  https://twitter.com/JasonMilne/status/1053501058306043906/video/1

 

Here's Williams draft profile:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profiles/dhaquille-williams?id=2555210

Pro Day Results
40-yard dash: 4.66 and 4.69 seconds
Vertical: 30 1/2 inches
Broad jump: 9 feet, 10 inches

Strengths
Big frame and usually plays to his size. Will post up cornerbacks down the field and uses his body to shield throws from defenders. Natural pass catcher with soft hands. Saw 82 percent of his catches go for first downs in 2014. At his best in longer developing, intermediate routes. Does solid job of setting up routes with leverage points and head ­fakes. Makes downfield catches with well­-timed hands to consistently pluck throws at the high­ point and will lay out to make the tough catch. Can grind out an extra couple of yards after the catch in order to get the first down. Has the size to help run game as a blocker if his care factor is right.

Weaknesses (character issues excised - we know about 'em)
Stiff hips and below average athlete.  Restricted, semi­-strider off snap and slow into routes. Wont slip many tackles in the open field after the catch. Despite his size, blocking not a priority for him. Small hands for his size. Can't shake free underneath and will have to live off of contested catches. Very little acceleration for separation out of breaks. Could be forced into slot role only.

Zierlein graded him as 5.25 "developmental prospect or ST potential", though it's not clear if that grade was based upon his athletic and game day measurables, or his off-field/character concerns. 

 

** if the link above doesn't work try the link embedded here

https://www.si.com/extra-mustard/2018/10/22/monday-hot-clicks-cfl-bc-lions-tj-lee-trucked-video

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:


Stiff hips

below average athlete. 

Restricted, semi­-strider off snap

slow into routes.

blocking not a priority for him.

Very little acceleration for separation out of breaks. 

🤮 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, HOUSE said:

This should be a red flag  😀

Bills have kept a player who injured a 1st round rookie QB to teach him a lesson so stranger things have happen.

Ironically he works for NFLPA who protests fines when players are suspended or injury fellow players.

Edited by Limeaid

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Fan in Chicago said:

 

😄Actually I found it funny, when I probably shouldnt be laughing at a Bills player looking as foolish as that. 

 

It wasn't Williams who looked foolish, it was the DB who taunted him - and he pancaked

  • Thanks! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I love guys who are talented and hungry with something to prove or a chip on their shoulder.  

 

Duke being hungry like this, self aware of what he needs to do off the field, how he has to earn everything and being honest that it could be his best chance or even last chance at the NFL is great to see.

 

I am excited for the kid and looking forward to seeing him compete to be on this team.

I suppose I should add this to your thread about Zay, but you read this article, and particularly when you read about his 50-50 ball skills and the fact that he made himself a serious route runner in the slot, it's not hard to imagine Duke ahead of Zay on the depth chart by the end of August.  That leaves Zay head to head with Sills.  

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

🤮

 

Sure, but then there's also

plays to his size. .... uses his body to shield throws from defenders. Natural pass catcher with soft hands. ......Does solid job of setting up routes with leverage points and head ­fakes. .....consistently pluck throws at the high­ point ..... will lay out to make the tough catch. ......Can grind out YAC to get the first down

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

 

It wasn't Williams who looked foolish, it was the DB who taunted him - and he pancaked

oh good !! I was confused about the lineup and this now makes sense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Fan in Chicago said:

oh good !! I was confused about the lineup and this now makes sense.

 

Yeah, if he wants to block and works on it, he could be a beast.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ironically since he never made the regular roster for Rams he is eligible for PS.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Hope he does well, but IMO I don't see him making the team. Unless he does good on ST, which is a possibility. So we shall see soon enough.

Edited by Patrick_Duffy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking at film from CFL it certainly looks like be would be a good target for Allen.

 

  • Thanks! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Formerly Allan in MD said:

How about if his chips and attitude get him in trouble outside the stadium, even if he's religiously doing his assigned tasks in games?

I don't care what he does outside the stadium as long as he can play the game. He is hired to play football, period. Not to be a boy scout or a choir boy in his free time.  He has to answer to different authorities outside the stadium and the game. Whatever he does, if he does it and it and it does not affect his performance or availability on game day it is none of my business. I don't confuse the two. He is hired to play football on the field. I don't care if he has to do community service or even spend weekends in jail if he can still make to all the games and perform well there. His personal life is his own personal problem.

Edited by simpleman
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Lurker said:

 

More like one year.   This is a guy who was dropped by Auburn, failed miserably as an UDFA with the Rams and came into his first training camp in the CFL unprepaired?   What kind of 5-watt light does he have burning upstairs??

 

https://buffalonews.com/2019/05/04/buffalo-bills-josh-allen-brandon-beane-nfl-draft-vic-carucci-football/

 

"...Early in his first training camp with the Eskimos, one night after mandatory practices and meetings, Reilly hosted a players-only walkthrough on the field.

 

Reilly was the franchise quarterback, a two-time Grey Cup champion on the way to being named the CFL’s Most Outstanding Player of 2017. He’s since become the third quarterback in league history to throw for more than 5,000 yards in three consecutive seasons, joining Anthony Cavillo and Doug Flutie.

 

Reilly commanded respect. And he didn’t think twice about holding Williams to account.

 

“We were going through some of our no-huddle hand signals,” Reilly recalled, “and I noticed he wasn’t really paying attention how I wanted him to, and so I called him out in front of everybody and asked him what the previous play was and what his route was on it and all that stuff, and he didn’t have an answer for me.”

 

Williams stammered and tried to guess.

 

“And he’s like, ‘Nah, you wrong,’ ” Williams remembered. “He was like, ‘You ain’t going to be here long doing that. This is our job. We feed our families with this.’

 

 

Apologies for double replying the same post, but I had to sort my TBN subscription and get my password reset to read the article.

 

To be fair, need to include Williams follow up to being called out by his new QB:

 

Williams returned to the team hotel and studied his playbook late into the night.

The next day at the practice facility, Reilly was eager to gauge the rookie’s reaction.

Would he be defensive? Unwilling to learn? Those guys don’t last long.

“He came up to me, he wasn’t pouty, and he said, ‘Hey, Mike. I appreciate that. You were absolutely right. I’m here to win a job. I’m here to take this seriously. And I want to do everything I can to help this team,’ ” Reilly recalled. “And from that day on, he was about the best teammate that you could hope for. He was always putting in extra hours after practice in the film room with me, on the field after practice, getting extra work in, extra throws in, things like that.

 

I'm sure it's the ending to the story - that Williams got it together, accepted the rebuke, and put in the grind - that made the Bills take a chance on him.

I also appreciated Williams being honest that after getting cut from Auburn, he fell apart, didn't work out and that led to his crap showing at the combine and Auburn's pro day.  It took being called by the Rams then cut to wake him up:

But that just humbled me," Williams said. "That made me more hungry. I thank the Rams. I ain’t mad at them. That just made me more of a dog, made me want it more. I sat out the whole year after I got cut and watched the games on TV. I was grinding then, though.

 

Anyway, it's a good story.  For the Bills and for his own sake, I wish him success on this shot.

17 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Looking at film from CFL it certainly looks like be would be a good target for Allen.

 

 

He's making some catches there I only dreamed about Bills WR catching.  The talent level he's going against is the Q.  Some of those are "College Open" catches.  But some of those are genuine high-degree of difficulty haul ins.

  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks! (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All I’m gonna say is, some guys DO grow up and learn from their mistakes. Hope Duke is one of them. 

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I suppose I should add this to your thread about Zay, but you read this article, and particularly when you read about his 50-50 ball skills and the fact that he made himself a serious route runner in the slot, it's not hard to imagine Duke ahead of Zay on the depth chart by the end of August.  That leaves Zay head to head with Sills.  

 

But here's the catch (see what I did there?)  Zay has shown what he can do (or occasionally what he can't do) against top DB and an opponent-customized game plan in for-real NFL games.    Whatever they do in the preseason, Duke and Sills have not.

So even if Williams and Sills look "ahead of Zay" on the depth chart at the end of August, there's always that thing happened last year....

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

 

Apologies for double replying the same post, but I had to sort my TBN subscription and get my password reset to read the article.

 

To be fair, need to include Williams follow up to being called out by his new QB:

 

Williams returned to the team hotel and studied his playbook late into the night.

The next day at the practice facility, Reilly was eager to gauge the rookie’s reaction.

Would he be defensive? Unwilling to learn? Those guys don’t last long.

“He came up to me, he wasn’t pouty, and he said, ‘Hey, Mike. I appreciate that. You were absolutely right. I’m here to win a job. I’m here to take this seriously. And I want to do everything I can to help this team,’ ” Reilly recalled. “And from that day on, he was about the best teammate that you could hope for. He was always putting in extra hours after practice in the film room with me, on the field after practice, getting extra work in, extra throws in, things like that.

 

I'm sure it's the ending to the story - that Williams got it together, accepted the rebuke, and put in the grind - that made the Bills take a chance on him.

I also appreciated Williams being honest that after getting cut from Auburn, he fell apart, didn't work out and that led to his crap showing at the combine and Auburn's pro day.  It took being called by the Rams then cut to wake him up:

But that just humbled me," Williams said. "That made me more hungry. I thank the Rams. I ain’t mad at them. That just made me more of a dog, made me want it more. I sat out the whole year after I got cut and watched the games on TV. I was grinding then, though.

 

Anyway, it's a good story.  For the Bills and for his own sake, I wish him success on this shot.

 

He's making some catches there I only dreamed about Bills WR catching.  The talent level he's going against is the Q.  Some of those are "College Open" catches.  But some of those are genuine high-degree of difficulty haul ins.

I do love the scouting done by Bills for this guy. A bit more than i expected honestly : )
Plenty of reasons to wish this Kid well.Hard to project at this point though.

 Do believe he will put in the work, and that he is in exactly the right place.

 Bills are going to push him to succeed. If has what it takes after all? 

 Buffalo is just the spot to show it to be true.

Hope Allen helps him along as well..
 

Has to work on his blocking as he will likely be playing tight to the linemen and chipping second level run blocking etc.

Go Bills 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
46 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

 

Apologies for double replying the same post, but I had to sort my TBN subscription and get my password reset to read the article.

 

To be fair, need to include Williams follow up to being called out by his new QB:

 

Williams returned to the team hotel and studied his playbook late into the night.

The next day at the practice facility, Reilly was eager to gauge the rookie’s reaction.

Would he be defensive? Unwilling to learn? Those guys don’t last long.

“He came up to me, he wasn’t pouty, and he said, ‘Hey, Mike. I appreciate that. You were absolutely right. I’m here to win a job. I’m here to take this seriously. And I want to do everything I can to help this team,’ ” Reilly recalled. “And from that day on, he was about the best teammate that you could hope for. He was always putting in extra hours after practice in the film room with me, on the field after practice, getting extra work in, extra throws in, things like that.

 

I'm sure it's the ending to the story - that Williams got it together, accepted the rebuke, and put in the grind - that made the Bills take a chance on him.

I also appreciated Williams being honest that after getting cut from Auburn, he fell apart, didn't work out and that led to his crap showing at the combine and Auburn's pro day.  It took being called by the Rams then cut to wake him up:

But that just humbled me," Williams said. "That made me more hungry. I thank the Rams. I ain’t mad at them. That just made me more of a dog, made me want it more. I sat out the whole year after I got cut and watched the games on TV. I was grinding then, though.

 

Anyway, it's a good story.  For the Bills and for his own sake, I wish him success on this shot.

 

He's making some catches there I only dreamed about Bills WR catching.  The talent level he's going against is the Q.  Some of those are "College Open" catches.  But some of those are genuine high-degree of difficulty haul ins.

I agree with you.   I think this is an unusual guy - a guy who had round one or round two written all over him who completely blew up his life.  Now, it seems, he's back on track.  Think about that for a minute - this is round one, round two talent who's been sitting on a shelf somewhere, doing more or less nothing.  And now, it seems, he's back on track.   I watch the video (not today, but back when he signed) and I am amazed at his hands.  He fights for balls all day long.   

 

I wrote this several weeks ago talking about Williams: he's in Buffalo because he identified McDermott as a father-figure or an AA leader.  This guy is quoted in the article saying he's good so long as he doesn't get off track.  He stays on track by staying committed to football, and in McDermott he sees someone preaching exactly what Williams thinks he needs - focus on the right stuff, all the time.  McDermott's culture, his values, are exactly what Williams wants for himself.  

 

McDermott sees a guy who is, apparently, a genuinely nice guy, straight shooter who turns into a really, really tough competitor when he gets on football field.   He sees a guy who will do anything to win football games.  The problem is that once he turned into that really, really tough competitor in a bar and did some serious damage to people.  McDermott loves that competitive spirit, and he believes his brand of commitment to life and football is perfect for Williams.

 

It's a match made in heaven. 

 

I wrote once that Williams is a guy who plays like - LIKE, not necessarily as good as, like Hines Ward.   Tough route runner, tough fighting for the ball, tough after the catch, tough blocking.  Tough football player.   I think we're all in for a treat.  

 

 

And for the old timers, if you think about it, you've heard this story before.  One really, really tough, nasty football player, maybe a little too tough for civilized society, comes out of Canada and tears up the league, winning an AFL championship in Buffalo.   That was fun, and if Williams makes it he's going to be fun, too.  

Edited by Shaw66

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I see a guy who continually falls off the wagon.  Gets called out, straightens up for a while, then reverts to bad / lazy habits.

 

He's got some physical talent but I'm not sure about the rest of the package.  The NFL is not going to put up with guys who have to be chaperoned very much--especially if they're FAs...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I agree with you.   I think this is an unusual guy - a guy who had round one or round two written all over him who completely blew up his life.  Now, it seems, he's back on track.  Think about that for a minute - this is round one, round two talent who's been sitting on a shelf somewhere, doing more or less nothing.  And now, it seems, he's back on track.   I watch the video (not today, but back when he signed) and I am amazed at his hands.  He fights for balls all day long.   

 

I wrote this several weeks ago talking about Williams: he's in Buffalo because he identified McDermott as a father-figure or an AA leader.  This guy is quoted in the article saying he's good so long as he doesn't get off track.  He stays on track by staying committed to football, and in McDermott he sees someone preaching exactly what Williams thinks he needs - focus on the right stuff, all the time.  McDermott's culture, his values, are exactly what Williams wants for himself.  

 

McDermott sees a guy who is, apparently, a genuinely nice guy, straight shooter who turns into a really, really tough competitor when he gets on football field.   He sees a guy who will do anything to win football games.  The problem is that once he turned into that really, really tough competitor in a bar and did some serious damage to people.  McDermott loves that competitive spirit, and he believes his brand of commitment to life and football is perfect for Williams.

 

It's a match made in heaven. 

 

I wrote once that Williams is a guy who plays like - LIKE, not necessarily as good as, like Hines Ward.   Tough route runner, tough fighting for the ball, tough after the catch, tough blocking.  Tough football player.   I think we're all in for a treat.  

 

 

And for the old timers, if you think about it, you've heard this story before.  One really, really tough, nasty football player, maybe a little too tough for civilized society, comes out of Canada and tears up the league, winning an AFL championship in Buffalo.   That was fun, and if Williams makes it he's going to be fun, too.  

Shaw you have a fine perspective on the situation at hand. A bit rose colored ? But i think you are quite close calling out the reality of the matter.

may the stars align for this Kid. : )

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Lurker said:

I see a guy who continually falls off the wagon.  Gets called out, straightens up for a while, then reverts to bad / lazy habits.

 

He's got some physical talent but I'm not sure about the rest of the package.  The NFL is not going to put up with guys who have to be chaperoned very much--especially if they're FAs...

 

Really?  How you get that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Heres a guy that needs another chance too. Can't get a tryout.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...