It's Mr Anonymous GM calling about Buffalo's draft

Former NFL GM: Buffalo Bills had one of NFL’s best drafts from top to bottom

Posted May 3, 12:50 PM
NASHVILLE, TENNESSEE - APRIL 25: Ed Oliver of Houston reacts after being chosen #9 overall by the Buffalo Bills during the first round of the 2019 NFL Draft on April 25, 2019 in Nashville, Tennessee. (Photo by Andy Lyons/Getty Images)

Getty Images

NASHVILLE, TENNESSEE - APRIL 25: Ed Oliver of Houston reacts after being chosen #9 overall by the Buffalo Bills during the first round of the 2019 NFL Draft on April 25, 2019 in Nashville, Tennessee. (Photo by Andy Lyons/Getty Images)

By Ryan Talbot | rtalbot@nyup.com

The Buffalo Bills have received plenty of praise from the national media following the 2019 NFL Draft. Now, a former NFL general manager is also heaping praise on the Bills.

Mike Sando of ESPN+ recently wrote a story that featured anonymous quotes from various NFL executives about every team’s 2019 draft class. When discussing Buffalo’s haul, one former general manager said he felt that the Bills had one of the best drafts in the league.

“I personally thought they had one of the best drafts in terms of quality from top to bottom,” a former GM said to ESPN+'s Mike Sando. “All their picks were good players with traits. Ed Oliver is a penetrating nose tackle who makes a ton of tackles for loss -- disruptive against run and pass. They took two tight ends I liked, an effective back [Devin Singletary] and a massive, massive right tackle [Cody Ford] who was a one-year starter but really dominated.”

Oliver will play the three tech, a position previously occupied by Kyle Williams. His ability to get into the opposing backfield should help the Bills’ pass-rush. Ford is expected to be a day one starter. He’ll get a shot to win the right tackle job, but could be kicked inside if he fails to lose out on the tackle position.

Singletary and Dawson Knox, one of the tight ends mentioned by the anonymous GM, should also factor into the team’s offense in 2019. Tommy Sweeney, the second tight end selected by the Bills in the draft, isn’t a lock to make the roster, but has a shot to vie for a roster spot behind Knox and Tyler Kroft. He’ll need to show he’s a better option than Jason Croom and Jake Fisher if he hopes to make the final 53-man roster.

https://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/2019/05/former-nfl-gm-buffalo-bills-had-one-of-nfls-best-drafts-from-top-to-bottom.html

Edited by HOUSE
  • Like (+1) 2

What your fan base wants to hear, but seems like a case where the guy who used to be sitting three barstools down just got an upgrade to ‘former GM’.  At least it’s a differing view from the other anonymous GMs, unemployed scouts, and former football inflators slagging the Bills, that seem to have gained credence in the age of digital journalism.

• Like (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

What your fan base wants to hear, but seems like a case where the guy who used to be sitting three barstools down just got an upgrade to ‘former GM’.  At least it’s a differing view from the other anonymous GMs, unemployed scouts, and former football inflators slagging the Bills, that seem to have gained credence in the age of digital journalism.

Don't know where you're getting this. The pundits and sources like this draft a lot.

I've only seen one negative, and it wasn't all that bad.

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Don't know where you're getting this. The pundits and sources like this draft a lot.

My point is not so much whether the Bills had a good or bad draft, my point is that in the age of digital journalism, anyone with a blog or a connection to the sport can get exposure to their writing.  Sometimes the more outrageous the views yields more exposure.

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013
‘get exposure’, not gets...

24 minutes ago, ALLEN1QB said:

I am telling you Buffalo is going to be special this year. They will steam roll the Jets in week 1 and never look back.

And some internet pundits and former insiders (who used to run Gatorade out onto the field during timeouts) will still ‘tweet’ how the Bills went wrong.  ?

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

On 5/4/2019 at 9:07 AM, ALLEN1QB said:

I am telling you Buffalo is going to be special this year. They will steam roll the Jets in week 1 and never look back.

Im guessing we sweep the Jets and Fish, and if we’re lucky if we split the Pats.   They do that and this will be a fun year.

On 5/4/2019 at 7:13 AM, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

At this point, wouldn’t Art yell “Waitaminute! Waitaminute! Waitaminute!”?

Is he still alive? He seemed old during the Super Bowl years. I loved his post game shows back then.

On 5/4/2019 at 12:51 PM, Albany,n.y. said:

Dumb & Dumber

Actually, those two are smarter than the vast majority of Buffalo sports fans. They just happen to say things that most fans don't want to hear (truths), which makes them hated. They have been more right than wrong about both franchises the last ~20 years as opposed to the common denominator Buffalo sports fan.

3 minutes ago, MacGyver said:

Actually, those two are smarter than the vast majority of Buffalo sports fans. They just happen to say things that most fans don't want to hear (truths), which makes them hated. They have been more right than wrong about both franchises the last ~20 years as opposed to the common denominator Buffalo sports fan.

So we now found out you are one of those two idiots... Lets see if we can pinpoint which one exactly.

6 hours ago, MacGyver said:

Schopp is wrong as often as he is right but he's so arrogant if a correct fan tries to explain why he's wrong Schopp just acts like a jerk because he THINKS he's smarter than everyone when he's not.  

On some beliefs, where there are no right or wrong answers, like trading up or down, Schopp is adamant in his beliefs & everyone else is wrong, which is total BS-he thinks trading down is always better, yet Beane has traded up just about every one of his draft trades & I know Beane knows more than Schopp will ever know. Unlike some guys in the media who have gone on to GM jobs, if anyone ever suggested Schopp for a NFL GM job they'd be laughed out of town. I find myself on the other side almost all the time with Schopp.  If he opened his mind once in a while to the other side of something theoretical & didn't act like a total jackass to the callers, maybe I could respectfully disagree with him, but for the most part due to his attitude, I disrespectfully disagree with him instead.