Buffalo Bills: Back to Bojorquez

44 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Yep, that’s the name. I read in another thread we haven’t addressed the Punter. I knew we had this guy who looked very good but got hurt early and IR’d, just couldn’t recall his name. Now I remember why -cus I cant pronounce it.

I think you're confusing Corey Carter with Corey B-something-or-other.  Corey Carter has a big leg and was going to supplant Schmidt but blew out his ACL in preseason.  Corey B-s-o-o was snagged off of the Patriots*** practice squad on the eve of the season without having punting a single ball in a preseason game (supposedly so BB could try to hide him), and Schmidt was cut.  Then B-s-o-o was injured after being very inconsistent... put a lot of kicks inside the 20, but also shanked a handful and had that go- awful "thought they called a fake pass" play.

• Like (+1) 1

Bills should spend one of their 7ths on punter Mitch Wishnowsky from Utah. He is being compared to Michael Dickson, Seattle's phenom rookie punter from last year.

You've usually got your 2 or 3 best punters in the game and your 2 or 3 worst. The 26 or so guys In between are all pretty interchangeable. So either try to find a top 3 guy or accept that you're one of the middle 26 or so. But whatever you do, make sure you don't have one of the 2 or 3 worst. Arguably, Darr and Schmidt are in that "worst in the league" tier. As such, Bojorquez and a late draftee or UDFA should battle for the starting spot.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Doc said:

Yeah, it's Cory Carter's job to lose, not Corey Bojorquez's. 

This!!! Everyone forgets how good Carter was in the preseason. If he didn’t get crushed and tear his ACL he would have made the team. It’s also the reason the Bills put him on IR instead of giving him an injury settlement and cutting him.

If he bounces back from injury, I think it’s Cory Carter who’s your punter not Boroquez. Nonetheless should be a decent competition.

• Like (+1) 2

22 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

This!!! Everyone forgets how good Carter was in the preseason. If he didn’t get crushed and tear his ACL he would have made the team. It’s also the reason the Bills put him on IR instead of giving him an injury settlement and cutting him.

If he bounces back from injury, I think it’s Cory Carter who’s your punter not Boroquez. Nonetheless should be a decent competition.

Wasn't that what a reporter asked about that really pissed off McDermott?

Edited by Warcodered

26 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

Can either one be WR1 as both good size?

Edited by freddyjj

1 hour ago, Bubba Gump said:

39.4 yds net would be 2nd worst in the league to the Chargers. Most teams are above 40. We need a real punter for a change. I like the Minister, but he needs to be better. 

Looking at the individual stats, he was 21st in net avg and 17th in gross. There's some talent to work with there.

18 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

Was I imagining things or didn’t crossman get fired earlier in the offseason because he was historically bad....

am I the only one that’s pointed this out so far? 

Guy on the first page noted it. I, too, was surprised more people hadn't pointed it out.

2 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

I haven't seen it discussed, which isn't surprising. It's the ***** punter, you know? Are they even people?

Turns out they are...and we have one entering his 2nd year, named Corey.

When Bojorquez was punting the Bills netted 39.4 yards.

When the back-ups (Schmidt and Darr) were punting, the Bills netted 35 yards. That's actually a significant difference in the world of punting. Did I mention Corey was a rookie? He should only get better.

When Bojorquez was punting the Bills averaged 6.9 yards per return. Top 10 in the league. That's due to hang time. Corey doesn't just boot bombs, he launches rockets! Send it to the stratosphere, young sir!!

Darr wasn't too shabby at 8.0, but Schmidt was brutal at 16...yikes.

The Bills notably added some special teams aces in free agency, including Andre Roberts - last year's league leader in kick return yardage and average yards per punt return.

Roberts' returning repertoire may not help Bojorquez much, but Sinorise Perry will. He's a big contributor in blocking and coverage.

I'm overtly optimistic about the Bills' special teams potential this season. With enough improvement, that unit could turn the tide of a few games and generally provide a positive impact to the field position battle.

The only negative from my perspective is that Crossman is not creative. Special teams strategy is no mystery. In my opinion, the two factors that'll boost a unit towards the top are talent and creativity. It appears that the Bills have the talent, so now it's up to the coach.

In regards to Bombin' Bojo, I'd like to see him improve his average punt yards this season. (The Buffalo wind makes it tough to be tops in the league in that category). He should also remain top 10 in average return yards.

Can this special teams unit be top ten overall?

I really haven't paid any attention to special teams.  Thanks for this write up.  There may be other positives, but you identify several aspects of the special teams that should improve.

Crossman was well thought of a few years ago, right?   I agree that he'll need to be creative, because it's pretty clear that McD's expectations of everyone is to get better, and for the units that were woeful, to get really better.  

Like, I'd forgotten Crossman was gone.   

Farwell has very little experience coaching - two years as an assistant at Seattle.  But he was a star special teamer in his day.   He must be an intense competitor to have been a special teams standout, and intense competitors are what McD wants.   The heat will be on him, because I think McD intends the Bills to be substantially improved this year.  

1 hour ago, LeGOATski said:

I haven't seen it discussed, which isn't surprising. It's the ***** punter, you know? Are they even people?

When the back-ups (Schmidt and Darr) were punting, the Bills netted 35 yards. That's actually a significant difference in the world of punting. Did I mention Corey was a rookie? He should only get better.

When Bojorquez was punting the Bills averaged 6.9 yards per return. Top 10 in the league. That's due to hang time. Corey doesn't just boot bombs, he launches rockets! Send it to the stratosphere, young sir!!

The Bills notably added some special teams aces in free agency, including Andre Roberts - last year's league leader in kick return yardage and average yards per punt return.

Roberts' returning repertoire may not help Bojorquez much, but Sinorise Perry will. He's a big contributor in blocking and coverage.

I'm overtly optimistic about the Bills' special teams potential this season. With enough improvement, that unit could turn the tide of a few games and generally provide a positive impact to the field position battle.

The only negative from my perspective is that Crossman is not creative. Special teams strategy is no mystery. In my opinion, the two factors that'll boost a unit towards the top are talent and creativity. It appears that the Bills have the talent, so now it's up to the coach.

In regards to Bombin' Bojo, I'd like to see him improve his average punt yards this season. (The Buffalo wind makes it tough to be tops in the league in that category). He should also remain top 10 in average return yards.

I was really excited about Cory Carter last season. My money is on him. 

2 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

Its not important.  We are taking a punter in the first.

3 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

I agree Cory was pretty good in comparison to Dar Dar Dinks and Schmidt........however........everyone seems to forget the other Cory, Corey Carter, who looked to have a great chance of beating out Schmidt last training camp until he was injured in preseason.