Buffalo Bills: Back to Bojorquez

I haven't seen it discussed, which isn't surprising. It's the ***** punter, you know? Are they even people?

Turns out they are...and we have one entering his 2nd year, named Corey.

When Bojorquez was punting the Bills netted 39.4 yards.

When the back-ups (Schmidt and Darr) were punting, the Bills netted 35 yards. That's actually a significant difference in the world of punting. Did I mention Corey was a rookie? He should only get better.

Old-ish but good article on analyzing punters. It talks a lot about how misleading averages can be. Net average is obviously better, but it still only shows a small part of the whole picture .

Looking at Corey's stats, his IN20:TB ratio was 5.5 to 1, which is great. His fair catch percentage was 20, which is not great, but his return yards average was only 6.9, which is great (10th in the league). So, guys were opting to return it pretty often, but the Bills' players were right there to make the tackle. That probably indicates good coverage and/or placement and/or hang time.

Darr wasn't too shabby at 8.0, but Schmidt was brutal at 16...yikes.

The Bills notably added some special teams aces in free agency, including Andre Roberts - last year's league leader in kick return yardage and average yards per punt return.

Roberts' returning repertoire may not help Bojorquez much, but Sinorise Perry will. He's a big contributor in blocking and coverage.

I'm overtly optimistic about the Bills' special teams potential this season. With enough improvement, that unit could turn the tide of a few games and generally provide a positive impact to the field position battle.

Special teams strategy is no mystery. In my opinion, the two factors that'll boost a unit towards the top are talent and creativity. It appears that the Bills have the talent, so now it's up to the coach.

In regards to Bombin' Bojo, I'd like to see him improve his fair catch percentage this season. He should also remain top 10 in average return yards. His IN20:TB ratio is great, but if he got it up to 6 or 7 he'd be tops in the league. The average yards doesn't matter much and the Buffalo weather has a significant impact on distance.

Can this special teams unit be top ten overall?

Edited by LeGOATski
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I didn’t really like him. There was nothing wrong with Colton when he was dropping kicks inside the 20 all the time. 

Regardless of who’s better or not. They mismanaged the position last year. But who cares, it’s just the punter 

Yep, that’s the name. I read in another thread we haven’t addressed the Punter. I knew we had this guy who looked very good but got hurt early and IR’d, just couldn’t recall his name. Now I remember why -cus I cant pronounce it.

• Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Bojorquez may not make the team. The rest of the ST should improve though 

Agreed.

Good at the actual punting but his hands are really inconsistent. Look for a late round punter in draft or a UFA to compete with him, including Carter from last year.

4 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Yep, that’s the name. I read in another thread we haven’t addressed the Punter. I knew we had this guy who looked very god but got hurt early and IR’d, just couldn’t recall his name. Now I remember why -cus I cant pronounce it.

There was one that got hurt in preseason if I remember correctly.  Looked it up.  Cory Carter

Edited by DallasMac
  • Like (+1) 3

11 minutes ago, WMDman said:

I’m in the minority but I liked Corey B

Me too. I like his leg. It’s his head and nerves that scares me.  Once the game isn’t too big for him, I think he’ll be solid

Thanks. Yup he has a LEG and showed glimpses before injury. I'm sure he can only get better! This ST unit should bounce back nicely with the FA additions and a 2nd yr punter. All 3 phases baby. Beane is doing his thing , improving so many aspects of this team. Punting is a huge part of a close game. 

1 minute ago, 17years&waiting said:

Didn't he drop a few perfect snaps last season?  I don't like that. That's something that should never happen.

Hopefully, whoever the Punter ends up being isn't on the field that often.

there was a screw up on one that ended up as a fake and he got nailed. He ended up injured and struggled as a holder after that.

22 minutes ago, WMDman said:

I’m in the minority but I liked Corey B

He doesn't have the hangtime you want in a punter, but I think he's got an effective style because he "hits his spot." Doesn't have the tradition metrics, but I like him as well. Don't remember many if any touchbacks, but I could be wrong. Moorman is one of my all time favorite Bills, but he was toast when he started piling up touchbacks. I hate touchbacks on punts! Very little chance for a big return back that far and an opportunity to create a turnover. And of course there's a huge difference from starting at the 10 as opposed to the 20. HUGE difference.

5 minutes ago, 17years&waiting said:

Didn't he drop a few perfect snaps last season?  I don't like that. That's something that should never happen.

Hopefully, whoever the Punter ends up being isn't on the field that often.

I think there some miscommunication. He clearly thought it was some kind of fake. Not sure who's at fault for the miscommunication, but something was off there.

Edited by LSHMEAB