Draft Strategy: McBeane Absolutely Must Draft Around the Offense this Year

Ronin

1 minute ago, oldmanfan said:

I read it.  There's one statement that exposes the author for what he is, an anti- Bills and especially anti-Allen troll.  The statement refers to how few if any QBs that come into the league not being able to read defenses survive.  To which I can respond with one word:  Bull.  No rookie QB hits the ground running being able to read NFL defenses.  In fact, the ability to learn that is what will separate those who make it over those who don't.  It takes time to learn, and the insinuation that Allen is doomed because he did not hit the league with that talent is absurd on its face.

Someone should pin this on TSW...not this thread, just your reply.  Amazing how hard that is for some people to understand.  

• Like (+1) 5

18 minutes ago, dubs said:

TL:DR

Beat me to it.

16 minutes ago, Bray Wyatt said:

I notice the OP doesn’t say who to draft which I am sure is by design so he can bash the draft picks they make under the guise of realism

That's the key in insightful posting.  You say "we need to acquire a true #1 WR" but don't ever mention any potential available "true #1 wrs" or say "we need to trade back to get more picks" without ever giving a realistic trade scenario.  

Edited by Chuck Wagon
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, TaskersGhost said:

So what do the Bills do in the Draft, in particular in the first three rounds where they’re the likeliest to land starters for the immediate season? 

Oh and for a finale OP doesn't make any clear suggestions here.

That calls for some unicorn flatulence!

image.jpeg.e9f1965ab90c8533237e7a68e7589659.jpeg

Edited by freddyjj
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Chandler#81 said:

Absolutely Must?? As in, you’ll fire him if he doesn’t? Oh, the horror!

No, I didn’t bother to read your epic. I just got a new eyeglass prescription and have no desire to speed up the next one. Take it back to the typewriter, proofread it and subtract 2/3rds if you want anybody to bother reading it.

..perhaps a CLIFF NOTES version is available for us slow readers?......I started War & Peace 27 years ago.....getting closer....

• Like (+1) 1

Yeah, I disagree with this post wholeheartedly.  I actually read most of it.  I'm kinda disappointed I did. 

The main jist of the argument is that we should NOT draft BPA, because that would land us superstar talent, but not at the positions HE thinks are most important, and should instead draft inferior talent for need, perpetuating the problems that have plagued this franchise for decades, instead of drafting superstars that will be with us for a decade or more.  

Here's what he did wrong:

He took the entire season as a whole, without looking at the progress made.  He ignored that Allen got better as the season went on, as he got more experience and the game started to slow down for him.  He ignored that QBs generally make a jump from year one to year two just because they have had more time to experience the NFL game and adjust to its speed and complexity.  Despite teams realizing that Foster was our #1 WR by the end of the season, and rolling coverage his way, practically ignoring other receiving options, he somehow thinks that adding more talented WRs to the roster means that Foster will receive MORE attention, rather than less.  He ignores that as the season went on, Allen got better at the underneath game, essentially showcasing how much better he had gotten in that aspect of his game in Week 17, with announcers noting that Daboll might have done so specifically to give coordinators next year more stuff to worry about and added wrinkles to consider when preparing for facing the Bills.  He ignores the fact that Allen has played QB at a competitive level for a relatively short time, even shorter than other prospects, that he's been shown to be a quick study and also a hard worker at getting rid of negative aspects of his game, while also comparing him to an old, set-in-his-ways Bledsoe to try to assert that QBs can't be taught anything.  

And that's just Allen.  He ignores that Beasely is a much better short range target than anyone we had on our roster last year.  He ignores that though Nsekhe was a back-up swing tackle, when he did play, there was literally no drop off, despite replacing a pro bowl LT at times.  He says that Feliciano was a back-up on a bad Raiders team, ignoring that the two G in front of him were pro bowlers.  

The stats were interesting.  The assumptions and assertions made were bad, and so any claims made are bound to be false and spurious.  

• Like (+1) 2

40 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

I read it.  There's one statement that exposes the author for what he is, an anti- Bills and especially anti-Allen troll.  The statement refers to how few if any QBs that come into the league not being able to read defenses survive.  To which I can respond with one word:  Bull.  No rookie QB hits the ground running being able to read NFL defenses.  In fact, the ability to learn that is what will separate those who make it over those who don't.  It takes time to learn, and the insinuation that Allen is doomed because he did not hit the league with that talent is absurd on its face.

Yes. For those who are unaware of Taskers Ghost, he is one of the more consistently derisive posters on the Board. More importantly, his accuracy level is in the low teens %. Take him with a few grains of salt, or better yet, don’t.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Yes. For those who are unaware of Taskers Ghost, he is one of the more consistently derisive posters on the Board. More importantly, his accuracy level is in the low teens %. Take him with a few grains of salt, or better yet, don’t.

Well....I am on ignore from him for disagreeing with him so.....there i that.

Anyway......It looks to me like Beane has really set this draft up to come to the bills.....and over reaching for offensive talent does not appear to be the right thing to do based on the free agency we have had.

Truth be told.....we could walk into the season with the team we have AT THIS VERY MOMENT and field a competative team......so it only makes sense to take best player available and aquire TALENT with the picks......the draft appears to be defensively strong heavy with some difference makes up top......so taking offense does not make a lot of sense unless it is in a trade down.

But we will see

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BuffaloRebound said:

I still think Bills are trading down from pick 9 with Seattle or Houston for Clark or Clowney.  Then they go BPA at 21 or 23 which will most likely be a TE/WR.  

I think it will depend who is on the board at 9

A dominant DT that can get after the passer would really help this defense take a step

4 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

I still think Bills are trading down from pick 9 with Seattle or Houston for Clark or Clowney.  Then they go BPA at 21 or 23 which will most likely be a TE/WR.  

That's a possibility.  I could see them drafting Oliver or Sweat and moving into the late first for said Te/wr.

Why do people feel the need to set themselves up for this sort of ridicule?

Who comes to this message board to read a tome?

The Bills need to draft for talent.  On both sides of the ball.  It's really that simple.