Draft Strategy: McBeane Absolutely Must Draft Around the Offense this Year

Ronin

With our first rounder we really MUST take Hockerson or Fant. Either one would be so amazing. Hockerson is better all around cause he is a great blocker to. But Fant has the upside he is wayyyyyy more athletic. But both will be pro bowl caliber TE's. Allen really needs a nice blanket TE. Fant with a pro strength program can bulk up and get trained on blocking. But honestly look how many top tier TE's in the past 7 years haven't every really blocked worth a damn. Jimmy G rarely put down a good block. Kelce rarely does, and then even athletic freaks like Jared Cook that dont block but burns every safety when its 1v1, LB's cant cover him and can jump to the sky and bring balls down. (I really wanted Cook)

Either one would help Allen so much. Especially because we dont have a legit #1 pro bowl type guy, and honestly we mainly have a much of higher tier 3's and 4's. Tyler Kroft is coming off a bad injury and has never proven a thing in the league, terrible overall #'s when it comes to catching but is a decent blocker. But you can find decent blocking TE's without having to look super hard. But freakish guys who can punish defenses across the whole field are to damn important for us to pass up. Especially with having a 2nd year QB, with a below average offensive line, RB's with hardly any miles left and while we have numerous solid wr's, no real top notch guys that the opposing defense will game plan around.  Beast ones have done wonders for young QB's, Kelce helped Mahomes so damn bunch, and he would even get doubled and would free others up, Wentz rookie year had a couple that were great escape route guys for him. And thats what we need for Allen, one freak that he can trust if a play is breaking down and trust to just put the ball up high

There is only 2 that will be elite Hockerson and Fant. There will be plenty of decent wr's between rounds (2- to early 4th). Marquise Brown is probably the only one I would take in round 1, Metcalf is a toss up he just worries me cause isnt physical at all and struggled in college at the LOS the NFL will only be harder, kind of reminds me of Troy Williamson while Marquise running around looks like an antonio brown, built just like him. But in the 2nd there will be guys like Ridley Campbell, AJ Brown that will be solid. But there is a massive TE drop off, and because we didnt go after Cook we really need one for Allen, cant go wrong with either, but if pass both up I will be so let down because the drop off in this class is massive no other one is even worth it until mid 3rd round with Caleb Wilson and Irv Smith. While they are both solid its a huge drop off from the hock and fant

10 hours ago, TaskersGhost said:

Doesn't seem like you really read the piece based on this.  

It's unfortunate that so many people seem to think that the short-medium game can be all but entirely overlooked in favor of a deep passing game, that frankly, is not the basis for winning games. 

The deep pass sets up the short-medium game. When the defense has to respect the deep ball on both sides of the field they can't sit on the medium routes or stack the box. It's easier to get open with the safeties deep and the corners on their heels.

The deep routes also clear out the defense, opening up space for your underneath guys to work. You can only cover those guys for so long.

The threat of Allen's running ability prevents them from selling out the pass rush. The defense has to blitz or play contain, lest they watch Allen go streaking down the field.

Prioritizing pass blocking compromises the power run game, but it sets up draw plays, and Allen's ability to run allows you to use misdirection very effectively. Plus, they can't sell out the run because of the deep threat. Add to that, good pass blocking creates running opportunities for Allen when the coverage holds up.

The Bills have employed a strategy that attempts to accomplish what you suggest by designing the team so as to take advantage of Allen's strengths. 

23 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

We're not discussing fan belief, dude. It's just a statement of the FO's plan.  They believe in Allen and have their plan in place. They've prioritized offensive players in FA and will get the BPA in the draft.

If they didn't believe in Allen, I'm sure their plan would change a little. If Allen doesn't show improvement this year or next, they'll look at drafting a new QB.

As long as they stick to the overall building plan (prioritize needs in FA and draft BPA; retain talent at the right value; maintain their organization's core values), then they should be alright. They'll be golden if they get a solid QB.

Allen doesn't have the stats yet, but he looks the part. We'll see how he pans out this season as the 3rd year of the building plan comes to a close.

Nah, I don't think so.  

If Allen doesn't show improvement this year or next they'll be looking for new jobs and we'll have a whole new coaching staff.  No way on earth that McBeane escape if Allen doesn't work out.   Not a chance.