Which Prospects Do You NOT Want The Bills To Draft?

Busts, tired of drafting busts. This isn’t Hooters.

A Tweener D lineman, someone that played college edge/outside and is projected to play inside, but hasn’t... 

i see Lonnie Johnson from Kentucky... has the size, but his name still conjures up one play... & that scares me more than Darren Sharper...

On ‎3‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 5:42 PM, BillyWhiteShows said:

So many names have been thrown around here and now we are seeing some of the mock drafts come out.  There’s a lot of players that fans either want or want to avoid like the plague!

To be honest, if you would have asked me last year I would have put Josh Allen (the QB from Wyoming....not the LB from Kentucky) on this list.  But in the end I’m glad he was my selection.  

Here are two choices - neither which will be very popular:

1. Eddie Oliver - he is a physical freak, no doubt but I’m not so sure if he’s the 3 technique DT that we need.  Does not have the technique nor the size to get a pass rush from the middle.  He could transition to DE and have the flexibility that McDermott covets.  But I am most concerned about his smaller size and wonder if there are better players for the Bills specific need at DT.  

2.  DK Metcalf - another physical freak.  What concerns me about DK is there were several games where he was quiet and then he’d make a huge catch.  The lack of consistency is concerning as is his ability to run routes.  He is not running a full route tree and instead just runs fly routes.  That’s what he does best. The Bills already have 2 WR’s who could do this in Foster and Brown.  Also there have been bigger WR’s like DK who have not translate too well. 

Like I said I could be wrong but that’s my impression.  How about you?

I agree with your choices.

It seems that we are talking about the first round, so I am going to toss in ANY defensive back or running back. Selecting one of these would be to repeat the stupidity that has haunted this organization for decades. Even if the defensive back is "good," the team will continue to lose. Admittedly, the rookie cap makes it just a bit less awful than before but dbs and rbs in round 1 would be a horrid waste of resources for this team.

• Haha (+1) 2

Of the guys that seem to be on the radar at #9, there aren't a lot of guys I'd be unhappy to have. My main thing is that I do not want to trade up; the only player that I think is semi-defensible to trade up for is Quinnen Williams, but even that would be tough for me. If we stay at #9, the one I'm most wary of would be Greedy (just because I don't think we really need him) and TJ Hockenson (I think he's a good prospect but much like RBs, taking a TE in the top 10 just isn't good value.

13 hours ago, BillsFan17 said:

By best competition...  you mean

Stephen F. Austin-2 sacks

Kentucky- 2 sacks

Kansas State- 1 sack

Louisiana Tech- 1 sack

Ole Miss- 1.5 sacks... basically more than half the kids sacks came against inferior competition.

Add three sacks in one game against an 8-5 Auburn team, which was impressive, but really the only team that is of legit comp that he showed out against this season.

10-3 Kentucky seems like a weird inclusion on this list, especially considering they barely even pass the ball so to record sacks against them is impressive.

Looking at Sweat's game log, it looks like roughly 56% of his sacks came against good offensive teams or teams like Kentucky where they were good overall teams that generally didn't throw the ball much.

Compare that to someone like Nick Bosa who had fewer sacks and only around 47% of his sacks in 2017 would have fallen into one of those two categories.

Per PFF, if we look at guys that are projected to go in the first couple rounds of the draft, Sweat ranks #2 or #3 in pass rush productivity depending on if you think Jaylon Ferguson is a 1st or 2nd round pick (which is probably in question after his testing numbers). Sweat is also #1 in run stop percentage even if we include the entire draftable database regardless of where they're expected to be drafted.

Edited by DCOrange

There are some guys I have reservations about, but I assume that if Buffalo picks one of them, Beane and the staff will have done plenty of homework to be sure the benefit outweighs the risk.  The guys I would really hat, I don't think there is any chance of Buffalo taking (like Jachai Polite Greg Little)

Edited by TigerJ

*Absolutely NO Florida State pass rushers in the 1st round.  I see you Andre Wadsworth, Bjoren Werner, Kamerion Wimbley, Jamal Reynolds, Reindard Wilson and even Peter Boulware (who ended up being a LB).  All 1st round busts with the exception of Boulware who flourished at a different position.  

*No injury-prone wide receivers.  IMO, Metcalf shouldn't be considered at #9 because of his injuries and I'd be concerned he's got way too much muscle being supported by those ACLs, MCLs and Achilles tendons.  

I'm ok with the Bills taking Jonah Williams if they plan on slotting him as a guard or center.  He's an average LT in the NFL IMO, but likely a great to elite guard or center.  

On 3/31/2019 at 12:01 PM, Warcodered said:

This is pretty good but I bet there's a way for you to make this more about how you don't want Allen and less about this years draft.

Not sure what you mean.  Allen the LB?  Again, I don't see how they can possibly take a defender in round 1.  

What I'm saying is that if McBeane want to keep their jobs, they'd better figure out a way to correct Allen's short-medium passing game.  It's simple, not to correct it but realizing that's what needs to be corrected.  

See, the majority opinion here is that little if any of the reason why Allen was all but ineffective in the Red Zone (aka w/o a deep game), bottom-dwelling in the short game, and by short game I don't mean short gains, I mean finding the open receivers (whomever they be, RB, WR, TE) short, often for what would have been big gains, was due to him, and that 90% of it was due to circumstances beyond his control.  If you ask me that's a fool's proposition.  

Either way, he's  going to have to step up, so regarding Allen the QB, what's your solution to help him do that?  Say you were the coach, what would your approach be?  What, to draft a DT or LB?  Help me out here.  

I’d be careful writing Gary off.  Seemed to be weirdly used by Harbaugh who seems to be losing his mind lately.  He looked pretty dominant at times in 2017.  Guy was the consensus #1 recruit out of high school, and might be a guy who is a better pro than college player.  He has All Pro potential.  It couldn’t have been easy playing for a crazy coach like Harbaugh especially when Gary knew he’d be a high 1st round pick as soon as he put in his 3 years.  

On ‎3‎/‎31‎/‎2019 at 9:08 AM, Toesy said:

IMO Beane and his team seem to know what they are doing-lots of draft experts didn't like the Allen pick last year-it looks good now-I also like how Beane has publicly stated that drafting for need is stupid-which it is.

Really ? I would rather be in the Dolphins situation and Tank for Tua. Accuracy, Accuracy, Accuracy.... but who needs accuracy when you can score high on the wonderlic.

13 hours ago, dpberr said:

*Absolutely NO Florida State pass rushers in the 1st round.  I see you Andre Wadsworth, Bjoren Werner, Kamerion Wimbley, Jamal Reynolds, Reindard Wilson and even Peter Boulware (who ended up being a LB).  All 1st round busts with the exception of Boulware who flourished at a different position.  

*No injury-prone wide receivers.  IMO, Metcalf shouldn't be considered at #9 because of his injuries and I'd be concerned he's got way too much muscle being supported by those ACLs, MCLs and Achilles tendons.  

I'm ok with the Bills taking Jonah Williams if they plan on slotting him as a guard or center.  He's an average LT in the NFL IMO, but likely a great to elite guard or center.  

I'm a Noles fan and can't argue wth you on that point. No to Burns.

Taking A high upside but raw physical freak like Metcalf at number 9 is way too much of a gamble. There's so much defense talent in this draft wrs will slip to day 2. Let someone else gamble on Metcalf, let's build our trenches with every pick we have as far as I'm concerned.

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Norcalbillsfan said:

Taking A high upside but raw physical freak like Metcalf at number 9 is way too much of a gamble. There's so much defense talent in this draft wrs will slip to day 2. Let someone else gamble on Metcalf, let's build our trenches with every pick we have as far as I'm concerned.

You want to draft 10 linemen? 

On 3/31/2019 at 7:33 PM, OldTimer1960 said:

Sweat had 19 sacks the last 2 years against the best competition in college football (SEC) - on a team that wasn’t one of the better teams in that conference likely meaning he had fewer opportunities to rush the passer than, say, guys on Alabama and Clemson who were playing with the lead most of the time.

He didn’t perform against quality OTs.  He did very, very well against even good college OTs.  He even smoked the smaller school OTs at the Senior Bowl practices. But against the big boys he didn’t do squat. He doesn’t have the flexibility to be a premier DE.  He’ll be solid in the pros, but he won’t live up to his draft status.  It won’t be close. One of the pro comparisons I saw was to Ogbah.  That’s pretty much what I see.  He should be better than Ogbah, but he will be limited in the same ways. I see his floor as a rotational DE and his ceiling as a solid starting LDE.  I’m not even considering him anywhere close to 9. 

Edited by BarleyNY

22 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

He didn’t perform against quality OTs.  He did very, very well against even good college OTs.  He even smoked the smaller school OTs at the Senior Bowl practices. But against the big boys he didn’t do squat. He doesn’t have the flexibility to be a premier DE.  He’ll be solid in the pros, but he won’t live up to his draft status.  It won’t be close. One of the pro comparisons I saw was to Ogbah.  That’s pretty much what I see.  He should be better than Ogbah, but he will be limited in the same ways. I see his floor as a rotational DE and his ceiling as a solid starting LDE.  I’m not even considering him anywhere close to 9. 

I dont like Sweat either. Hell flame out in the NFL. 

1 hour ago, Ramza86 said:

Only watched a few of the prospects...but some that I certainly did not like

Devin Bush - Dont like him at all

Rashan Gary - Dont like him at 9

DK Metcalf - Do not draft

Whoa whoa whoa you don’t like Bush?

edit: that didn’t come out right haha