Putting Pets to Sleep

Ol Dirty B

Hey everyone. I know I'm not the greatest poster at times, totally get any annoyance I might cause people.

I'm posting this not for sympathy, because I know a lot of you and a lot of people deal with way worse. Honestly feel kind of guilty for how much it is bothering. Really just searching for advice I've been googling for weeks and haven't really found any good advice on the topic. I don't live with my childhood dog, shes still at my moms, my mother lives just a few miles away so I'm always around.

Anyways, my dog, shes 16, and she has been a task to take care of the last year almost. Not that we mind, we all really appreciate and given that besides my step dad we all work random hours. I work retail as does my brother, my moms a nurse. It has been to the point where we always make sure someone is with her to make sure she, the dog, is okay. She's not in pain, still loves to eat and see people.

Anyways for months, I've been dreading going over because you never know if that's going to be the day. Well two Tuesdays ago was the day. I came over and she greeted me. My brother told me it was the first shes stood up on her own in 3 days. She walked into me and fell and I felt awful. I've been over everyday since, they thought she was getting better but my mom called me today and said it's time. It's been an awful feeling for two weeks. She can't get up, still eating and wagging her tail so we have no idea what to do. You know what I mean? If she's still happy despite being as disabled as she is, how do you do that?

Idk I'm not a huge pet person, just wondering how you pet people do it or have any advice on moving on.

Sorry for the LAMP post, but I struggle talking about it in person especially when I know people who have recently lost loved ones or fighting cancer. We're really generally blessed. Not sure if this is the right place for the thread, again just seeking advice from those who been through it.

Edit- sorry just saw a very similar thread only a couple threads down. Feel free to merge or delete.

Edited by Ol Dirty B
  • Sad 3

Sorry to hear about your dog. It's never easy to make that decision, but when the pet is in constant discomfort, it's the right thing to do. Sometimes the dog knows it before the people do.

And I agree with BuffaloBill about the process.

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

Sorry to hear about your dog. It's never easy to make that decision, but when the pet is in constant discomfort, it's the right thing to do. Sometimes the dog knows it before the people do.

And I agree with BuffaloBill about the process.

That's the thing that is tough. People say you'll know when it's time, but my mom said this morning when she woke up the dog was wagging her tail at her. She still loves to eat. She doesn't yelp or make any signs that she is in pain. Still likes being around people. It's just over the past week it has become increasingly difficult to walk. We definitely don't want her to endure pain, but we don't see signs of it. And we don't wanna just make the decision prematurely because you can't reverse that.

Appreciate your response though and definitely taking it to heart.

My brothers dog was 19 and we knew it was  time. He ate less and  less. Then he wouldsn't even eat.  He was laying on the floor and was sweating.  Dogs don't sweat.  It was time.

Edited by Wacka
  • Thank you (+1) 1

It's not easy. Lost my first cat 3 years ago, she was 18, lost her sister in October, she was 21 neither were easy, but they had good long lives.

Up until March 1,we had a 1yr old pup and 5 cats (2-7 year olds from the same litter, 2-1.5 yr olds and a 6 month old). 28 days ago we lost my favorite little cat man Butters, he was 7. The pup brought flea into the house on Tuesday that week, we had to give the cats a topical and he looked to be in rough shape, lethargic and not eating (which isnot like him and could be a likely side effect from the frontline). Took him to the Vet Thursday and they ran some tests, found out he had an enlarged heart and the cause was not known, but it looked like it might be lymphoma, nope it was FIP (an uncurable fatal disease) he was gone Friday night. We took him to the vet and honestly put him down just before it got real bad as his body was shutting down. I'm still torn up over it. The other cats are too - going around looking for him and staying very close to us.

You will know when its time. My 18 yr old had kidney disease as she aged and he had her on subcutaneous fluids, but she just wasted away until she couldn't walk and would fall over. It was time and she knew too. We spent about $3k and we got about 1 extra month out of her, but it was a selfish decision on our part. The 21 yr old had the same ending, but we ended it sooner for her and feel much better we didn't let it dragon...

Edited by Reed83HOF
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Dogs become part of the family. 

You love them and would do anything for them, but you also do not want see them suffer.  Say your goodbyes and ease her pain.

take some solace knowing that when your time comes, she'll be there wagging her tail for you :)

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, /dev/null said:

Dogs become part of the family. 

You love them and would do anything for them, but you also do not want see them suffer.  Say your goodbyes and ease her pain.

take some solace knowing that when your time comes, she'll be there wagging her tail for you :)

Great post, appreciate it. I'm kind of cold and I'm not really a pet person. I don't have much family, as messed up as it sounds I love this dog more than some of my half brothers and sisters (if that doesn't explain it). 

We just wanna do right by her. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

It's not easy. Lost my first cat 3 years ago, she was 18, lost her sister in October, she was 21 neither were easy, but they had good long lives.

Up until March 1,we had a 1yr old pup and 5 cats (2-7 year olds from the same litter, 2-1.5 yr olds and a 6 month old). 28 days ago we lost my favorite little cat man Butters, he was 7. The pup brought flea into the house on Tuesday that week, we had to give the cats a topical and he looked to be in rough shape, lethargic and not eating (which isnot like him and could be a likely side effect from the frontline). Took him to the Vet Thursday and they ran some tests, found out he had an enlarged heart and the cause was not known, but it looked like it might be lymphoma, nope it was FIP (an uncurable fatal disease) he was gone Friday night. We took him to the vet and honestly put him down just before it got real bad as his body was shutting down. I'm still torn up over it. The other cats are too - going around looking for him and staying very close to us.

You will know when its time. My 18 yr old had kidney disease as she aged and he had her on subcutaneous fluids, but she just wasted away until she couldn't walk and would fall over. It was time and she knew too. We spent about $3k and we got about 1 extra month out of her, but it was a selfish decision on our part. The 21 yr old had the same ending, but we ended it sooner for her and feel much better we didn't let it dragon...

I gave you a thanks because I appreciate the response and empathy. Not really a proper reaction available that gives you props. I thought her being 16 and getting misdiagnosed 5 years ago would make it easier. That's what I told myself. She already died once at 11 but she's a fighter, it hurts even more this time.

Thanks again, and sorry about butters. Can I ask where that name came from?

1 minute ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Sorry you’re going through this ODB; it’s never easy losing or getting ready to say goodbye to a pet that’s basically become a part of the family. 

Appreciate it, very much. I don't even know a lot of you, but it really is touching. Especially with how much of an ass I can be. 

Sincerely thank you

3 minutes ago, Ol Dirty B said:

I gave you a thanks because I appreciate the response and empathy. Not really a proper reaction available that gives you props. I thought her being 16 and getting misdiagnosed 5 years ago would make it easier. That's what I told myself. She already died once at 11 but she's a fighter, it hurts even more this time.

It's not easy, but they had a good life and the ones with us are having good lives as well. Having them definitely outweighs the pain from losing them, still is far from easy when it's time...

Butters was orange and came from South Park, Token is his brother his name came from South Park as well

2 hours ago, Ol Dirty B said:

That's the thing that is tough. People say you'll know when it's time, but my mom said this morning when she woke up the dog was wagging her tail at her. She still loves to eat. She doesn't yelp or make any signs that she is in pain. Still likes being around people. It's just over the past week it has become increasingly difficult to walk. We definitely don't want her to endure pain, but we don't see signs of it. And we don't wanna just make the decision prematurely because you can't reverse that.

Appreciate your response though and definitely taking it to heart.

Your dog is eating and happy and showing no signs of pain. It sounds like your family has a shared responsibility that hasn't become an undue burden. That's awesome. Until either circumstance changes I'd be inclined to ride it out.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This is a super tough decision that only you can make in the end...

i went through a sick dog 4 years ago... she was my best friend... got cancer suddenly at 12 and stopped eating... I couldn’t put her down 

i tried spending as much time with her over her last 2 weeks... it was tough and I questioned if I made the right choice

i would never take my time back with her

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

Your dog is eating and happy and showing no signs of pain. It sounds like your family has a shared responsibility that hasn't become an undue burden. That's awesome. Until either circumstance changes I'd be inclined to ride it out.

Thanks, good to hear that. The vet and people are telling us to make the other decision and I don't think we're in denial. We just can make it work, she seems happy but frustrated and most importantly pain free. We all work crazy odd hours but it works.

Can't thank you enough for the input. Our thing has been when she doesn't like food or people that's when we know the times unfortunately up. But she still seems happy, eats, I'll carry her out to to do the business everyday. Again it's s dilemma, we don't want to be selfish. We want what's best for her.

28 minutes ago, Ol Dirty B said:

Thanks, good to hear that. The vet and people are telling us to make the other decision and I don't think we're in denial. We just can make it work, she seems happy but frustrated and most importantly pain free. We all work crazy odd hours but it works.

Can't thank you enough for the input. Our thing has been when she doesn't like food or people that's when we know the times unfortunately up. But she still seems happy, eats, I'll carry her out to to do the business everyday. Again it's s dilemma, we don't want to be selfish. We want what's best for her.

I’m going to 2nd this from the reply. 

As as long as your pup is happy to be with you and family and not in pain, that’s all that matters. 

A year and a half ago, my wife’s pup was almost 17. The last year was pretty rough. Couldn’t go up and down stairs. Needed much help finding her way around as she was mostly blind and mostly deaf. But boy did she love being with us. Her favorite thing was sitting in my lap and falling asleep. And near the end she slept more and more. 

I often wondered when would be the time. I thought for years as things got worse, that it would soon be time. And honestly, even up until the day she left us, she was happy and wagging her tail. 

Until the night I came home. Took her outside. Gave her a treat and picked her up in my lap on the couch. All the sudden out of nowhere she seized up. Her front paws jetted straight out over her head (almost like she was stretching). Only she didn’t stop. She was clearly confused and extremely scared. Crying as loud as I’ve ever heard an animal. I rushed her to the emergency room where they said she had a brain aneurism and was going through violent seizures. All they could do was Medicate her to calm her. 

I waited until my wife and her mother and step father arrived to give her one last kiss before we put her down. I held her in my arms to comfort her as it happened. I’ve never had to do anything so hard in my life. It was like I lost a best friend. A family member. But if she had not been in pain and gotten so bad so quickly, I would have nursed her to live as long as possible. 

We didn’t want to get another pup right away but in our grief we went to look at pups and pulled the trigger just a few weeks after. I’ll never forget our old baby. But at the same time I love our little pup so much. It’s almost as if it was meant to be the way it turned out. 

I feel sorry for the decision ahead of you. Good luck with everything. 

Edited by mrags
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Ol Dirty B said:

Appreciate it, very much. I don't even know a lot of you, but it really is touching. Especially with how much of an ass I can be. 

Sincerely thank you

This kind of thing happening always helps put stuff in perspective—the back and forth on the boards over sports is in good fun and all, but at the end of the day there’s more important things, like living your life to the full with those you love (including your pets), and it sounds like you’ve had a good companion for many years, I’m sure that’s been a 2 way street too. Wish you all the best with this. 

• Like (+1) 1

I have outlived my pets for too long and tired of going through the aftermath.  I will have no more.....my girlfriends dog needed some kind of surgery today and rather then her lose her dog I just paid it I dont care if it left me broke till the end of the month.

THis has given me some comfort over the years.   I hope it does some for you:

https://www.rainbowsbridge.com/Poem.htm

• Thank you (+1) 1

I have a 10-year-old dog (birthday is July 22) who has a cancerous growth on a lymph node near her groinal area.  I opted to not do surgery (I had another mass removed from her stomach last year) or any kind of chemo.  The vet prescribed prednisone and told me to give her Benadryl twice/day.  So far, over a month later, the mass has not grown.  Chloe acts perfectly normal.

The way I explained it to my 16-year-old son is this:  Once Chloe isn't happy anymore, then it's time to say goodbye.  She's been the happiest dog I've ever known since we've had her.  It's all she knows.  Once that's taken from her, then it's time to let her go, because that's not how she's used to living.

I'm happy that she's still going about her business as if nothing's wrong.  I know how quickly things can change and I cherish every moment with her.

But I know my girl.  And I know when it will be time to let her go.

I wish you, your dog and your family the best as you go through this difficult time.

• Like (+1) 3

12 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I have outlived my pets for too long and tired of going through the aftermath.  I will have no more.....my girlfriends dog needed some kind of surgery today and rather then her lose her dog I just paid it I dont care if it left me broke till the end of the month.

THis has given me some comfort over the years.   I hope it does some for you:

https://www.rainbowsbridge.com/Poem.htm

Love this poem 

It sucks to put it mildly. Had to say good bye to my cat about 10 years ago. Still bothers me.

Currently have 3 older pets that arent doing too good. A 20 year old bird i got in middle school. A 15 year old cat that was diagnosed with aggressive bladder cancer a little over a week ago. A 17 year old cat that has kidney problems. They all require medication everyday. 

Have had them all half my life or more. It sucks thinking about it. I lost my train of thought..  

I hope things get better and we're all here for you if things get tough

• Like (+1) 1

Appreciate all the kind words. I had texted my mother last night after I stopped over just saying I'd be over this morning because I didnt feel like I spent enough time with her last night. I showed up and sadly she was gone, they went this morning.

Thanks to all of you for your thoughts, I've read every post more than once.

• Sad 6

19 hours ago, Gugny said:

I have a 10-year-old dog (birthday is July 22) who has a cancerous growth on a lymph node near her groinal area.  I opted to not do surgery (I had another mass removed from her stomach last year) or any kind of chemo.  The vet prescribed prednisone and told me to give her Benadryl twice/day.  So far, over a month later, the mass has not grown.  Chloe acts perfectly normal.

The way I explained it to my 16-year-old son is this:  Once Chloe isn't happy anymore, then it's time to say goodbye.  She's been the happiest dog I've ever known since we've had her.  It's all she knows.  Once that's taken from her, then it's time to let her go, because that's not how she's used to living.

I'm happy that she's still going about her business as if nothing's wrong.  I know how quickly things can change and I cherish every moment with her.

But I know my girl.  And I know when it will be time to let her go.

I wish you, your dog and your family the best as you go through this difficult time.

One of my favorite things about dogs is they never feel sorry for themselves. I wish I could say the same, but I’d be lying. 

I remember someone once asking “are we the only creatures aware of our own mortality?” Umm...I don’t know, and is that a good thing or a bad thing?  

As long as a dog is happy and still out of pain, I’m good. When it’s time.....we treat them better than we do ourselves, in some ways. May God bless our dogs! 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Appreciate all the kind words. I had texted my mother last night after I stopped over just saying I'd be over this morning because I didnt feel like I spent enough time with her last night. I showed up and sadly she was gone, they went this morning.

My biggest condolences 

I feel your pain

• Thank you (+1) 1

My condolences. Dogs become like children in a family. Their passing is very difficult to bear. 

We we had a 12 year old Bernese Mountain Dog that had hip displaysia and had gotten to the point where he was in a lot of pain and had enormous trouble just standing up. 

We we decided that keeping him alive was simply selfish on our part because we loved him so and couldn’t bear the thought of putting him down. 

At at some point it’s the right thing to do. 

I cried like a baby when we did it. 

Peace. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Ol Dirty B said:

I'm sorry for your loss.The best to you and your family during this difficult time.

• Thank you (+1) 1

23 hours ago, /dev/null said:

This I firmly believe. I don't have scientific evidence, it's just something I feel. I am not alone.

Hang in there Bro. I am going through similar experience and feel validated that others have the same issues :(

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Augie said:

One of my favorite things about dogs is they never feel sorry for themselves. I wish I could say the same, but I’d be lying. 

I remember someone once asking “are we the only creatures aware of our own mortality?” Umm...I don’t know, and is that a good thing or a bad thing?  

As long as a dog is happy and still out of pain, I’m good. When it’s time.....we treat them better than we do ourselves, in some ways. May God bless our dogs! 

I disagree with you at times, and have said things not intended that could misinterpreted, which is my fault. 

But you're genuinely a good dude, don't change. Even if I give you ***** for not liking a thread that turns out to be a joke on leading the charge.

On 3/29/2019 at 11:21 PM, Mike in Horseheads said:

Just plan sucks. Buster my last dog died 3 months after my dad 12 years ago. take care

I didnt respond to you. Just wanna say I feel for you that's way rougher than my situation. Hope all is well now.

On 3/29/2019 at 10:42 PM, Buffalo716 said:

This is a super tough decision that only you can make in the end...

i went through a sick dog 4 years ago... she was my best friend... got cancer suddenly at 12 and stopped eating... I couldn’t put her down 

i tried spending as much time with her over her last 2 weeks... it was tough and I questioned if I made the right choice

i would never take my time back with her

Thanks for your response man. I feel inclined to acknowledge everyone. Feel just like that.

11 hours ago, Ol Dirty B said:

I disagree with you at times, and have said things not intended that could misinterpreted, which is my fault. 

But you're genuinely a good dude, don't change. Even if I give you ***** for not liking a thread that turns out to be a joke on leading the charge.

We are all just what we are..... Simple, really. A lesson I learned long ago is the importance of how we express that. I’m not one to take up arms against those I have petty disagreements with, but I’m pretty sure we all agree on the important stuff in life. What we have in common is greater than our differences. 

The loss of a pet is the loss of a family member. People who don’t get that won’t understand. They are also missing out in many ways. 

Edited by Augie
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

My biggest condolences 

I feel your pain

Thanks, genuinely appreciate it. It was a rough day. It sucks because we had a good life together so in perspective it's not that bad. I feel bad feeling bad because so many others have it worse.

1 minute ago, Augie said:

We are all just what we are..... Simple, really. A lesson I learned long ago is the importance of how we express that. I’m not one to take up arms against those I have petty disagreements with, but I’m pretty sure we all agree on the important stuff in life. What we have in common is greater than our differences. 

The loss of a pet is the loss of a family member. People who don’t get that won’t understand. They are also missing out in many way, 

Again you're a great guy. I'm still gonna be a ***** poster at times. Just appreciate the responses. 

I live in Rochester, it has been overcast rainy and foggy up near the lake where I stay at. Oddly I enjoy it. Yesterday when things were bad and it was nice and everyone loved it. I wasn't mad it just didnt reflect my mood. Today does, maybe I'm a weird kind of optimist but the rain and all that ***** felt good today. I'm just rambling.

People get a bad reputation. I believe deep down we're all good and empathize.

2 minutes ago, Ol Dirty B said:

Thanks, genuinely appreciate it. It was a rough day. It sucks because we had a good life together so in perspective it's not that bad. I feel bad feeling bad because so many others have it worse.

I hope you can remember the joy you had, THAT is your gift. Nothing lasts forever....except the joy you chose to carry forward. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Again you're a great guy. I'm still gonna be a ***** poster at times. Just appreciate the responses. 

I live in Rochester, it has been overcast rainy and foggy up near the lake where I stay at. Oddly I enjoy it. Yesterday when things were bad and it was nice and everyone loved it. I wasn't mad it just didnt reflect my mood. Today does, maybe I'm a weird kind of optimist but the rain and all that ***** felt good today. I'm just rambling.

People get a bad reputation. I believe deep down we're all good and empathize.

No you have a right to feel pain... animals, dogs are our companions for a reason

they love us and care more about us than themselves... it’s only right we give it back as much as possible... and grieving is totally fine 

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, boater said:

This I firmly believe. I don't have scientific evidence, it's just something I feel. I am not alone.

When I was a kid we had a dog that was part of the family.  When he died we all grieved for him :(

My parents kept his ashes in their bedroom

When my Mom died, we buried his ashes with her.

I have not doubt the two of them are together :)

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, /dev/null said:

When I was a kid we had a dog that was part of the family.  When he died we all grieved for him :(

My parents kept his ashes in their bedroom

When my Mom died, we buried his ashes with her.

I have not doubt the two of them are together :)

Man, that is some perspective. Appreciate all your posts. I've been lucky between here, and work where I didnt tell anyone. Everyone has been great. I found out about it like a half hour before my shift because I stopped over just to see her. I had to make the call to my brother because my mom was struggling and I didnt want him to show up and get the same unfortunate surprise. The owner told me I could go home, but it wouldn't have changed anything. I didnt want him to be stuck working another 8 hours and I wouldn't have done anything besides what I'm doing now.

Thanks to all of y'all letting me vent.

16 minutes ago, Ol Dirty B said:

Man, that is some perspective. Appreciate all your posts. I've been lucky between here, and work where I didnt tell anyone. Everyone has been great. I found out about it like a half hour before my shift because I stopped over just to see her. I had to make the call to my brother because my mom was struggling and I didnt want him to show up and get the same unfortunate surprise. The owner told me I could go home, but it wouldn't have changed anything. I didnt want him to be stuck working another 8 hours and I wouldn't have done anything besides what I'm doing now.

Thanks to all of y'all letting me vent.

Ya know ... for the name ol Dirty B you don’t seem that old lol

unless it’s a reference to Ol dirty Chinese restaurant which I suspect 

prayers brotha

• Haha (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Ya know ... for the name ol Dirty B you don’t seem that old lol

unless it’s a reference to Ol dirty Chinese restaurant which I suspect 

prayers brotha

Lol no it's a reference to old dirty bastard of the wu tang clan. Don't think it's any better.

Odb before odb got hijacked by the wr was someone else.

A trainwreck, but someone with a unique personality that I for some reason like.

Edit- I changed it from thanks to laughing because your post is hilarious. 

Edited by Ol Dirty B
  • Thank you (+1) 1