Offseason Additions & Expectations

BuffaloButt

Would you be pleased with our offense if we picked up the following this offseason:

WR Tyrell Williams 

WR Devin Funchess

TE Jesse James

OG Roger Saffold

OT Jamarcus Webb

C Spencer Long (signed)

Draft:

TE TJ Hockenson88

OT Greg Little

WR JJ Arcega-Whiteside

Would these additions improve the Bills to be a playoff contender next season and help JA improve as a QB?  If not, what does it take to get there?  I don't think Beane is going to pick up any high profile players like AB or LB types but 1 or 2 overpaid linemen and WR's are in the mix and needed.  Just curious what everyone's expectations are for the offseason and top 3 rounds draft guys!

Go Bills!!

• Haha (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, BuffaloButt said:

Would you be pleased with our offense if we picked up the following this offseason:

WR Tyrell Williams 

WR Devin Funchess

TE Jesse James

OG Roger Saffold

OT Jamarcus Webb

C Spencer Long (signed)

Draft:

TE TJ Hockenson88

OT Greg Little

WR JJ Arcega-Whiteside

Would these additions improve the Bills to be a playoff contender next season and help JA improve as a QB?  If not, what does it take to get there?  I don't think Beane is going to pick up any high profile players like AB or LB types but 1 or 2 overpaid linemen and WR's are in the mix and needed.  Just curious what everyone's expectations are for the offseason and top 3 rounds draft guys!

Go Bills!!

I think T. Williams and J. James may be the kind of guys that Beane would be looking for.  The other guys probably don't fit the cost/value target that Beane will want. I really think that they will go hard after one of the prime free agent centers (Long is just a depth player).  I just don't believe they will take a tight end with the 9th pick either.  If they trade down and Hockenson is a good value for their new pick, then maybe.

I have low expectations when it comes to free agent pickups.  I think the signings of Hyde and Poyer may be the blueprint for Beane's approach to free agents.  Neither of these guys were big splash signings but are good solid players that have turned out to be great values.

7 minutes ago, BuffaloButt said:

Anyone else want to contribute to my post about their expectaions this offseason and predictions?

Open just about any thread on the main page and we can see everyone’s predictions and expectations. I personally did not agree with quite a few names on your list. But I do agree they won’t be after the huge names like brown and bell 

Barr

Paradis

D Williams

Dwayne Allen

Ed Oliver

Chris Lindstrom

Emmanuel Hall

Anthony Johnson

Alize Mack

Foster   Dawkins-Teller/Long-Paradis-Lindstrom-Williams Hall Johnson Josh Shady

Murphy/Shaq-Oliver-Star-Hughes Lorax/Barr-Edmunds-Milano Levi-Tre-Taron-Micah-Poyer

• Like (+1) 2

Below is my ideal offseason. I used fanspeak and set it to hard and don’t have trades on. I’m not sure that the Bills will use all 10 picks but for the spirit of this here ya’ go:

Subtractions:

Vlad

Ivory

Bodine

Maybe subtract:

Murphy

Dimarco

FA additions:

C- Matt Paradis

RT- Daryl Williams

Slot- Adam Humphries

TE2- Dwayne Allen

Rotational DE- Alex Okafor

Depth- Mo Claiborne

Depth- Mark Barron

Depth- Jay Ajayi

Depth- John Miller

Draft:

9: R1P9

DL ED OLIVER
HOUSTON
40: R2P8

WR MARQUISE BROWN
OKLAHOMA
74: R3P10

WR HAKEEM BUTLER
IOWA STATE
112: R4P10

RB MILES SANDERS
PENN STATE
131: R4P29

TE JOSH OLIVER
SAN JOSE STATE
147: R5P9

BEN POWERS
OKLAHOMA
158: R5P20

LB TRE LAMAR
CLEMSON
181: R6P8

EDGE JORDAN BRAILFORD
OKLAHOMA STATE
225: R7P11

OT MITCH HYATT
CLEMSON
228: R7P14

CB DAVID LONG
MICHIGAN

Flame away!!

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Watkins101 said:

I love this, but I think we need to grab another solid TE somewhere

The way that it fell in the draft I couldn’t get the perfect guy so swung for the fences with Oliver. I also didn’t have trades so I could see the Bills moving up somewhere to get a guy like Irv Smith. I also thought about signing Eifert and praying that he stays healthy. 

Just now, Kirby Jackson said:

The way that it fell in the draft I couldn’t get the perfect guy so swung for the fences with Oliver. I also didn’t have trades so I could see the Bills moving up somewhere to get a guy like Irv Smith. I also thought about signing Eifert and praying that he stays healthy. 

No matter what, there will be a problem with an offseason. I think with the rest of this offseason, the tight end problem is quite manageable.

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/28/2019 at 2:31 AM, BuffaloButt said:

WR Tyrell Williams 

WR Devin Funchess

TE Jesse James

OG Roger Saffold

OT Jamarcus Webb

C Spencer Long (signed)

Draft:

TE TJ Hockenson88

OT Greg Little

WR JJ Arcega-Whiteside

Go Bills!!

This could end up being that way I guess it's solid at best in my opinion I like the draft pks especially Hock but other then Saffold & James the free agency leaves alot to be desired. 

On 2/28/2019 at 3:42 AM, Florida Bills Fanatic said:

I think T. Williams and J. James may be the kind of guys that Beane would be looking for.  The other guys probably don't fit the cost/value target that Beane will want. I really think that they will go hard after one of the prime free agent centers (Long is just a depth player).  I just don't believe they will take a tight end with the 9th pick either.  If they trade down and Hockenson is a good value for their new pick, then maybe.

I have low expectations when it comes to free agent pickups.  I think the signings of Hyde and Poyer may be the blueprint for Beane's approach to free agents.  Neither of these guys were big splash signings but are good solid players that have turned out to be great values.

I hope Hyde & Poyer is his blueprint because last yr was a horrible free agency period for him. Maybe he should call Whaley and get some help with those free agents. 

• Like (+1) 2

Free Agent Signings:

OL - Paradis (or Morse), Daryl Williams, and Safford for the OL.

WR - Humphries

TE - Jesse James

DE/DL - Sign one of the guys they feel best fits their system

Trade:

RB - Duke Johnson (our 5th round pick)

Draft:

#9 - D.K. Metcalf (or N'Keal Harry)

#40 - Jeffrey Simmons (top 5 talent, falls due to ACL injury) - We can afford to take him as we have a strong D and can be patient on his recovery.

#74 - Andy Isabella

#112 - Jamie Oliver

#131 - Bryce Love

#147 - Traded for Duke Johnson

#158 - BPA here on out

Starting Offensive Unit:

QB - Allen

RBs - McCoy, Duke Williams, Love

OT D. Williams

OT Dawkins

C - Paradis or Morse

G - Saffold

G - Long

WRs - Metcalf, Foster, Humphries, Isabella, Duke, Zay, McKenzie (I think Zay would get traded for a 4th/5th round pick if we got both Humphries and Isabella)

TE - Jesse James and Jamie Oliver

• Like (+1) 4

4 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Free Agent Signings:

WR - Humphries

TE - Jesse James

Trade:

Draft:

#40 - Jeffrey Simmons (top 5 talent, falls due to ACL injury) - We can afford to take him as we have a strong D and can be patient on his recovery.

#74 - Andy Isabella

#112 - Jamie Oliver

#131 - Bryce Love

#158 - BPA here on out

Starting Offensive Unit:

QB - Allen

OT D. Williams

OT Dawkins

C - Paradis or Morse

G - Saffold

G - Long

WRs - Metcalf, Foster, Humphries, Isabella, Duke, Zay, McKenzie (I think Zay would get traded for a 4th/5th round pick if we got both Humphries and Isabella)

No way they go that heavy on WR imo.  I’m thinking they add 1 maybe 2 at most 

3 minutes ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

No way they go that heavy on WR imo.  I’m thinking they add 1 maybe 2 at most 

I don't know, I mean you very well could be right, but also the fact they went after Brown tells me they want to aggressively address it.  And if you dont land a proven stud via trade like Brown, they may draft 2 of them and Isabella in the 3rd would be a great value, or maybe Marquise Brown just might slip there.  But I expect them to draft one earlier than that unless they make some big trade for AJ, OBJ, Julio, or surprise and still land Brown.  I really dont think the trade angle is in play anymore in any case, but its possible.

So if they dont land a stud, they may go with multiple younger prospects to restock the talent in that room.  

Truthfully, I dont think they will go WR at #9 and will go OL or Hockenson.  But with the recent try at Brown, I went ahead and went a little more WR heavy in this mock.  

Edited by Alphadawg7

10 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I thought about Eifert too and I just can't trust his health anymore.  We'll need 2 TE's to add to Croom. Maybe Jesse James on a cheap contract than draft TJH after a trade down or  Fant @ 41? 

On 2/27/2019 at 7:31 PM, BuffaloButt said:

WR Tyrell Williams 

WR Devin Funchess

TE Jesse James

OG Roger Saffold

OT Jamarcus Webb

C Spencer Long (signed)

Draft:

TE TJ Hockenson88

OT Greg Little

WR JJ Arcega-Whiteside

Go Bills!!

My belief is that they'll splurge along the OL, my guess is RT Darryl Williams and LG Rodger Saffold both of which will upgrade the OL significantly. I also think after the whole AB situation they're at least looking at a veteran WR, I don't think they'll be able to land any of the big fish because our team isn't quite there yet but it will be soon imo, again if I had to guess I'll go with Jamison Crowder, if people really like Golden Tate then I think they'll love Crowder who should come at a discount considering his injury plagued  2018 season, to me he's a younger version with great hands and deceptive speed even though he ran a 4.48 and his pro day. I also think they'll take a flier on WR Kevin White, at 6'3" he ran a 4.35 40 time at the combine a few years ago, he has had a few injury plagued seasons so who knows what his speed is at now or where his head is at but sometimes all that it takes is a change of scenery and a chance, which he would get both here. I'd also expect a few low level signings here and there but that's what i'm sticking to in FA. They can still go WR and should and will most likely go pass rusher round 1, TE or WR round 2 and whatever same in round 3. This would solidify the OL and bolster the WR core. I just don't think this staff got rid of all these terrible contracts just to get themselves back in the same situation all over again, I fully expect us to do most of our damage in the draft working the draft board like they have the past few seasons. 

21 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Free Agent Signings:

WR - Humphries

TE - Jesse James

Trade:

Draft:

#74 - Andy Isabella

#112 - Jamie Oliver

#131 - Bryce Love

#158 - BPA here on out

Starting Offensive Unit:

QB - Allen

OT D. Williams

OT Dawkins

C - Paradis or Morse

G - Saffold

G - Long

We think alike.....impressive

• Thank you (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, lacoy38 said:

Based off chatter here and there and my own biases of course 

C Paradis 

OT Williams 

TE James

Draft

1 Metcalf WR

2 Lindstrom G

3 Singletary RB

Sign me up!

i think we’d need 1 more TE through either FA or the draft though.

9 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

I love everything but this.  I don't want him anywhere near our team, he's too small and I have zero interest in cheering for that family.  

Ha ha, I honestly thought about that. I was like, “do we a Brown here?” At the end of the day, I thought that the value was there.

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Ha ha, I honestly thought about that. I was like, “do we a Brown here?” At the end of the day, I thought that the value was there.

If Brown is still on the board when we pick 40th you almost have to take him. Back to back 1,000 yard seasons(Over 1,300 this past year), 18.3 average per reception for his college career & 17 tds in two seasons... The value is definitely there.

• Like (+1) 1

I can already see that 2019 will not live up to the expectations of many posters. Allen has terrible accuracy. There are no really good WR's, DT's or TE's available in FA. Beane's 1st and only draft looks pretty mediocre so far. I do expect the Bills to be improved in 2019, but only by a little bit. 

Some people are being crazily unrealistic. A lot of teams have a lot of money in free agency. O line are scarce and demand really high. Realistically we might get 1 top class starter ie. Paradis / Morse / Williams. There are only about 8 really good O linemen in FA, unless we go crazy, we won't get more than 1

2 hours ago, GreggTX said:

Beane's 1st and only draft looks pretty mediocre so far. 

He got 4 starters, and a rotational player in Phillips, that isn't mediocre....

Pre-combine I wanted us to take Jonah Williams at 9 but post combine I want Metcalf.  I also wanted us to pick up free agent C Paradis from Denver but now with having signed Spencer Long I want us to go after Jesse James, TE from the Steelers.

Let’s Go Buffalo!!!!!