McD to speak to media at 12:15

9 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Any idea on the subject of this press conference?

Ya'know... Combine, free agency, the process...  Say a lot of words with out really saying anything.  Typical off season propaganda.

All that good stuff.

• Like (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Any idea on the subject of this press conference?

Accepted a front office position with PSE, one of the newly vacant spots.  Wrecks is coming back, who better than to keep ? on the Jets than an ex-Jet?  ?

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013
? added since there is probably at least one who believes me...

22 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Accepted a front office position with PSE, one of the newly vacant spots.  Wrecks is coming back, who better than to keep ? on the Jets than an ex-Jet?  ?

I know you're joking, but this would be terrible.  Don't even want to think about this...

28 minutes ago, TheBeane said:

Ya'know... Combine, free agency, the process...  Say a lot of words with out really saying anything.  Typical off season propaganda.

All that good stuff.

So kind of like in regular season ?

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, TheBeane said:

All that good stuff.

Actually, I find that sometimes in these off-season comments he gives some pretty good insights into how they operate.   Never gives you much about players or plans, but he does talk about how the process works, and that often helps me understand what they're doing.  

But you hae to listen carefully to get that stuff in between all the coach-speak. 

• Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, TheBeane said:

All that good stuff.

It’s always amazed me how they can say so much while in actuality say so little. 

Just now, HappyDays said:

I really hope McDermott was just blowing smoke here. Croom should be our 3rd TE going into next season. Any higher and it’s a disaster. 1 and 2 should be free agent TE and a drafted TE. 

• Like (+1) 1

HE can't say what the plan really is.  That would be completely moronic.  "Gee, I think Croom could be a TE2 someday.  But without Clay we need a FA and a draft pick at the position."   That just drives up the price of James, Cook, etc., as well as creates drafting issues. 

I love these press conferences to see how much someone can say, without saying a thing. 

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

Actually, I find that sometimes in these off-season comments he gives some pretty good insights into how they operate.   Never gives you much about players or plans, but he does talk about how the process works, and that often helps me understand what they're doing.  

But you hae to listen carefully to get that stuff in between all the coach-speak. 

I agree. Sometimes, a kernel of truth accidentally slips out.

A good example is recently when Brandon Beane was "saying a whole lot of nothing", except that he mentioned that sometimes in the draft you're looking at maybe a position where you're about to have 1 or 2 pending free agents the FOLLOWING year and you're not gonna be able or willing to pay them, so you have to look into the future when drafting. That sure as heck sounded to a lot of ears like Beane was talking about drafting an edge rusher, knowing that Hughes and Lawson are both up after this year and won't both likely be paid top end contracts. So there's an instance of a guy "saying nothing" but accidentally possibly tipping his hand about a position to be on the lookout for in the coming draft. But as you said, you had to read between the lines and connect the dots yourself.

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Logic said:

I agree. Sometimes, a kernel of truth accidentally slips out.

A good example is recently when Brandon Beane was "saying a whole lot of nothing", except that he mentioned that sometimes in the draft you're looking at maybe a position where you're about to have 1 or 2 pending free agents the FOLLOWING year and you're not gonna be able or willing to pay them, so you have to look into the future when drafting. That sure as heck sounded to a lot of ears like Beane was talking about drafting an edge rusher, knowing that Hughes and Lawson are both up after this year and won't both likely be paid top end contracts. So there's an instance of a guy "saying nothing" but accidentally possibly tipping his hand about a position to be on the lookout for in the coming draft. But as you said, you had to read between the lines and connect the dots yourself.

Definitely some kernels! Last year when discussing quarterbacks, pretty much everything Beane said he was looking for in a quarterback is what Josh Allen is. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, HOUSE said:

Maybe its just an adjustment. No more clapping when the Bills turn the ball over.

As someone said on Twitter yesterday, with the hiring of a new Analytics Director, one would expect a more efficient clap/minute ration now.  

• Haha (+1) 1

I think the biggest nugget he let out was when someone asked about TEs being a security blanket for young QBs and he agreed but then said something along the lines of obviously we want to help our young guy by building the trenches out. That typically to me means that they are eyeballing OL/DL. 

It actually doesnt surprise me cause Andy Reid has that same philosophy.