2019 NFL Combine updates

YoloinOhio

16 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

Murray is expected to run in the 4.3's whenever he ends up running his 40. He's an elite athlete for any position, whereas Wilson is an elite athlete for a QB.

Good thing that's the position he playing then right?  But he was drafted by the MLB as well.

After gaining 13 pounds, I doubt Murray clocks in the 4.3's.  But it won't matter if he does.  He's being drafted as a QB.  As Wilson has shown you his entire career (behind a bad O-line), he's very quick and plenty fast enough.

Edited by Mr. WEO

4 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

That's incredible to me.

The guy looks like an athlete for sure, but geez.  He averaged 3.5 receptions per game in less than 2 full college seasons.  He's had a grand total 5 games (out of 21) in which he had 5 or more receptions, and they came against South Alabama, Tennessee-Martin, Kentucky (ok, that's a good one), South Illinois, and Kent State. In contrast, he's had 3 or fewer receptions in 10 of 21 games.

It's a draft pick that's based purely upon potential and not production, which is okay if you're a team that can afford to be wrong about him.

But if you're a team like Buffalo, and you're picking a WR at No. 9 overall, then you need that guy to be a stud.

I get the reticence. I really do but 6'3, 228, 4.39 with boatloads of potential will do it for NFL e v a l guys every time 

4 hours ago, SWATeam said:

I'm not a big Harry guy.  I think Harmon is much better, with a similar skill set.  I really want to see how fast Harry and Harmon are.

I like Harry and would’nt be upset if we drafted him rd 2 or trading way down in the 1st, but imo; Harmon is the surest thing inis draft at WR

Just now, NewEra said:

I like Harry and would’nt be upset if we drafted him rd 2 or trading way down in the 1st, but imo; Harmon is the surest thing inis draft at WR

Where are you drafting Harmon?  It would be great if he lasted until Round 2.

46 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Do they? The last 12/13 QBs drafted in the 1st round threw at the combine. Darnold chose not to because his camp believed that he was so far out in front and considered a lock for #1 that he didn’t need to and didn’t want to risk his stock. Then Baker proceeded to beat him out from the combine going forward and ended up grabbing #1 out from under him. As you recall it was supposed to be Darnold to the Browns forever and then things changed. Sure he “still went #3”. But he was supposed to go #1. It’s considered harder to throw at the combine than at pro day because it’s less controlled and you don’t have your own WR, that’s why teams like it. 

I don't think that's really true re: Darnold to be honest. People had been saying in the lead up that Allen was basically right there with Darnold. It's true that Baker beat them out in the end but I don't think Darnold was ever viewed as easily the #1 QB. And those guys weren't taken in the first round because they decided to throw at the combine. Throwing at the combine doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things at all; their actual film and their workouts are far more important.

50 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Good thing that's the position he playing then right?  But he was drafted by the MLB as well.

After gaining 13 pounds, I doubt Murray clocks in the 4.3's.  But it won't matter if he does.  He's being drafted as a QB.  As Wilson has shown you his entire career (behind a bad O-line), he's very quick and plenty fast enough.

Kyler isn't going to run, likely because of the weight he put on for today.

And I agree, Wilson is plenty quick and fast, which makes Kyler's superior athleticism that much more impressive.

1 minute ago, DCOrange said:

I don't think that's really true re: Darnold to be honest. People had been saying in the lead up that Allen was basically right there with Darnold. It's true that Baker beat them out in the end but I don't think Darnold was ever viewed as easily the #1 QB. And those guys weren't taken in the first round because they decided to throw at the combine. Throwing at the combine doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things at all; their actual film and their workouts are far more important.

And I agree, Wilson is plenty quick and fast, which makes Kyler's superior athleticism that much more impressive.

It won't matter if he ultimately has a career as QB.  If he doesn't even run a the combine, then that's a problem for the athleticism argument.  Plus I don't get the sense that this kid is nearly as smart as Wilson, nor does he seem to have the maturity or work ethic that Wilson had a that age.

He'll make a great slot receiver maybe--like Edelman.

7 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

The combine definitely doesn’t matter to the degree that the film matters in terms of where QBs, or anyone, is drafted. But the top QBs almost always throw there and I do not think it helps him at all to decide not to throw. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

1 hour ago, SWATeam said:

Where are you drafting Harmon?  It would be great if he lasted until Round 2.

Best case scenario for me is usually trading down as far as you can if you can land the guy you like most.  Most likely in the 20s for him imo. 

Kf we stay at 9, the only WR I see us taking is Metcalf due to his mass and speed ratio, but not because he’s currently the best WR.  If we can’t trade down, I’d probably prefer to draft an OL or pass rusher just based on being bpa. I don’t see any of these WRs as BPA at 9.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Bills have met with all the top OL it seems 

Due diligence! According to Beane on WGR this afternoon, he's unsure if there is an "elite" talent O-lineman at #9. And I tend to agree. Jonah has the best resume out of the lot, but his measurements say Guard at the next level. Which is still a need, but having never played that position, I wonder if he falls due to his projection?

48 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

The combine definitely doesn’t matter to the degree that the film matters in terms of where QBs, or anyone, is drafted. But the top QBs almost always throw there and I do not think it helps him at all to decide not to throw. 

Nothing matters more than the what they’ve put on tape (as you pointed out), how they interview, and how they do on the white board. So yeah, not throwing won’t help, but in the case of four of the QBs on the list, it certainly didn’t hurt them as they all went #1 overall.

1 minute ago, K-9 said:

Nothing matters more than the what they’ve put on tape (as you pointed out), how they interview, and how they do on the white board. So yeah, not throwing won’t help, but in the case of four of the QBs on the list, it certainly didn’t hurt them as they all went #1 overall.

I think what I havent expressed is that I don’t think is film is QB1 worthy ... maybe I’m alone 

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

I think what I havent expressed is that I don’t think is film is QB1 worthy ... maybe I’m alone 

I’m confused. Doesn’t take much these days, so don’t take it the wrong way.

5 minutes ago, K-9 said:

I’m confused. Doesn’t take much these days, so don’t take it the wrong way.

Imo, and others likely as well, he’s not the best QB in the draft based on his play alone. He himself said that he is out to prove that he is. So, that’s where I don’t get his decision not to partake in what the rest are doing. Maybe I’m the only one but I don’t put him in the Andrew luck category of guys who don’t need to throw at the combine. He’s played one year as a starter and a little at A&M.

Edited by YoloinOhio

32 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Imo, and others likely as well, he’s not the best QB in the draft based on his play alone. He himself said that he is out to prove that he is. So, that’s where I don’t get his decision not to partake in what the rest are doing. Maybe I’m the only one but I don’t put him in the Andrew luck category of guys who don’t need to throw at the combine. He’s played one year as a starter and a little at A&M.

I had no idea you were talking about a specific QB or that I unknowingly supported a player’s decision to not throw. I thought we were having a general discussion.

Anyway, if you are referring to Murray, I wholeheartedly agree. 

1 minute ago, Chuck Wagon said:

But Ohio State only runs screen passes!

The funny thing is that it was bizarro OSU world - the only consistent strengths to that team this year were Dwayne Haskins and his group of WR (it’s usually the exact opposite!) That’s it. The rest of that team would have won like 8 or 9 games without Dwayne. Don’t even get me started on the OL. The amount of BS he had to overcome internally in that program this year as well was impressive. He’s a full grown man. Mentally and physically. He was THE reason they went 15-1 and won the Big 10 and Rose Bowl  If i needed a QB, Id take him over anyone else in the draft and season him a little a la Mahomes if possible due to his inexperience. But he just got better and better as the year went on. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

The funny thing is that it was bizarro OSU world - the only consistent strengths to that team this year were Dwayne Haskins and his group of WR (it’s usually the exact opposite!) That’s it. The rest of that team would have won like 8 or 9 games without Dwayne. Don’t even get me started on the OL. The amount of BS he had to overcome internally in that program this year as well was impressive. He’s a full grown man. Mentally and physically. He was THE reason they went 15-1 and won the Big 10 and Rose Bowl  If i needed a QB, Id take him over anyone else in the draft and season him a little a la Mahomes if possible due to his inexperience. But he just got better and better as the year went on. 

Oh, I agree completely.  The team had one complete performance (against Michigan), a lights out 3rd quarter vs TCU and 4th quarter vs Penn St.  JT with that team and we are looking at a 8-9 win season.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, CuddyDark said:

Bradbury just keeps getting better and better.

Dude was solid at the Senior Bowl practice I went to. Best center there easily. Depending what we do in FA it will be hard to pass him up at #40. Should go round 2 no doubt.

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

Anyone have to complete numbers?

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, SWATeam said:

He's probably the safest pick in the draft.  I wouldn't hate it.

To me J Williams looks like a potential pro bowl guard. But his short arms and difficulty moving around tells me he will struggle at T. C Ferrell wrecked him at the Bowl game

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

Any chance we can start up the "Who the Bills have met with thread again? "

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, DJB said:

To me J Williams looks like a potential pro bowl guard. But his short arms and difficulty moving around tells me he will struggle at T. C Ferrell wrecked him at the Bowl game

Any chance we can start up the "Who the Bills have met with thread again? "

It will take some time but I’d like a list too with senior Bowl, etc, combine and then pre-draft visits. I am waiting for one of the Bills reporters to post a link with all the tracked visits so it’s easier 

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, DJB said:

Yeah, that's why I think he's so safe.  He may not be a tackle, but he's not going to bust

• Like (+1) 1

I'm just not nearly as enamored with Williams as some others. He's not particularly athletic or strong. He's an excellent tactician and should be a first round pick, but NOT in the top 10. What the offensive line really seemed to be missing was maulers. I'd prefer Taylor to Williams if we go that route. Very interested to see how both test.

6 minutes ago, BillsSB2020 said:

I'm just not nearly as enamored with Williams as some others. He's not particularly athletic or strong. He's an excellent tactician and should be a first round pick, but NOT in the top 10. What the offensive line really seemed to be missing was maulers. I'd prefer Taylor to Williams if we go that route. Very interested to see how both test.

Could be a Zach Martin type.... I think he went pretty high but can’t remember exact spot 

ideally the Bills could trade down a few spots, grab an extra second, and get him there 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Could be a Zach Martin type.... I think he went pretty high but can’t remember exact spot 

Martin put up 225 29 times and played OG at ND. We'll see how Williams does in that particular drill. I just don't see top 10 talent in Williams.

Martin was taken with the 16th pick for the sake of reference.