Game of Thrones - And Now Our Watch Has Ended!

24 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Does anyone know how the whitewalker army got so large? It seems like you can't reanimate a 'dead' whitewalker, and there can't have been all that many people living up above the Wall...plus it seemed like someone w/ Valeryian steel or dragonglass could take out a good 5-10 of em before getting killed...how tf did they get so many people in that army?

Also, the NK has been around for THOUSANDS of years. He has been effectively collecting the dead and building his army for that entire time.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/em-game-thrones-em-maisie-022025917.html

“I was coming into work and everybody was talking about episode 3 and [director Miguel Sapochnik] was like, ‘Have you read the [season 3 script] yet?’” she recalls.

When GoT star said she had not yet read the episode, Sapochnik replied, “Oh, I can’t tell you then.”

Williams couldn’t understand his reluctance. “I was like, ‘Are we fighting the wights? Does The Night King die? So who kills him? What happens?’ And no one would say anything. Why is no one saying it? This is crazy.”

When the cast reached the end of episode 3 where Arya saves the Seven Kingdoms by sprinting into the action and stabbing the Night King with her Valyrian steel dagger, “it got a huge f—king cheer,” Harington recalls.

I assume this was the Cast viewing party / premiere 

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

5 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/em-game-thrones-em-maisie-022025917.html

“I was coming into work and everybody was talking about episode 3 and [director Miguel Sapochnik] was like, ‘Have you read the [season 3 script] yet?’” she recalls.

When GoT star said she had not yet read the episode, Sapochnik replied, “Oh, I can’t tell you then.”

Williams couldn’t understand his reluctance. “I was like, ‘Are we fighting the wights? Does The Night King die? So who kills him? What happens?’ And no one would say anything. Why is no one saying it? This is crazy.”

When the cast reached the end of episode 3 where Arya saves the Seven Kingdoms by sprinting into the action and stabbing the Night King with her Valyrian steel dagger, “it got a huge f—king cheer,” Harington recalls.

"Maisie Williams arrived at the table read for the final season of Game of Thrones not yet realizing that Arya Stark kills the Night King"

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, SDS said:

"Maisie Williams arrived at the table read for the final season of Game of Thrones not yet realizing that Arya Stark kills the Night King"

I guess "just a reading" wouldn't raise a big cheer.  ergo the premier where all the cast would be present

but yeah that makes sense 

5 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

I guess "just a reading" wouldn't raise a big cheer.  ergo the premier where all the cast would be present

The reading is when they all find out so yes that’s when they all cheer.

Nice comment:

2 hours ago
I thought it was fantastic, and it actually made sense! The Night King knew about Jon Snow and Danny, and had plans in place to neutralize them. He wasn't aware of Arya at all, so he never saw her coming until the last moment. Even then, he didn't know who she was or what her capabilities were. He got overconfident and that was the end of him. It was beautifully done!
  • Like (+1) 4

Plus now Arya and Bran are the only two people who have the mark of the Night King from getting touched by him, I dunno if that means anything because she melted him now but if she's preggo w/ a baby Baratheon in her belly from Gendry maybe that little guy is going to be a future important bad/good guy. 

I also think back to the very first episode, when Bran is practicing bow and arrow and consistently missing.  Suddenly a Bulls eye!  But is was Arya who was standing behind Bran with the bow.  She gives him that mischievous grin.  Bran looked annoyed.  Last night when they both looked at each other after she offed the NK, there were no grins or looks of annoyance...but two expressions of "we had this all along."

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

54 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Table reads are amazing fun, tears/laughs/cheers are common. The cast and crew really get into it and on shows like GOT it's the first time they've gotten to see the full story so there's usually a lot of surprises for the actors. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Logic said:

Actually, I agree with the first line.

It is specifically the lack of follow-up on some of the nuance and subtleties of storytelling that have occurred over the years that directly LEAD to some of my disappointment.

I didn't HATE it or anything, I just felt they missed some opportunities. Ever since the show surpassed the books, it has gradually lost some of its magic. That's to be expected. Benioff/Weiss are not George RR Martin. Some of what makes his early storytelling so great, though, is missing in these later seasons, as they have (by necessity) sped toward a conclusion. 

I had issues with the episode myself.  It was very inconsistent and kind of just ridiculous in some parts.  Payoff on several storylines was weak.  

Reminds me me of the disappointment I felt in the LOST series finale.  

Didn't hate the episode, but was definitely disappointed in it.

5 hours ago, Reed83HOF said:

In every scene with the NK & Jon, the NK could easily wipe him out every time and never does (this was like the 4th time). There is always this look he gives Jon, raises his hands and Jon escapes. I get the series is most likely about Jon (Fire & Ice), but still there is this whole arc that just wasn't used at all besides as a vehicle to get Jon and Dany together. It really feels like there needs to be more depth to flesh it out a bit

Pretty much...

The Night King is a Targaryan ... Jon Snow is a Targaryan

Just now, frostbitmic said:

The Night King is a Targaryan ... Jon Snow is a Targaryan

Targaryn's weren't even around back then...Night King was on of the first men

The only thing that could kill the NK was a valerian steel blade in the same place the dragon glass. One of the D&D guys mentioned that today I think

Just now, Reed83HOF said:

Targaryn's weren't even around back then...Night King was on of the first men

The only thing that could kill the NK was a valerian steel blade in the same place the dragon glass. One of the D&D guys mentioned that today I think

When Dany had her Dragon unleash enough fire on the NK to melt Antarctica he came through it like Dany did when she emerged from the fire with 3 Dragon eggs.

Targaryan's don't burn.

1 minute ago, frostbitmic said:

When Dany had her Dragon unleash enough fire on the NK to melt Antarctica he came through it like Dany did when she emerged from the fire with 3 Dragon eggs.

Targaryan's don't burn.

Wrong

https://www.theverge.com/2019/4/29/18522808/game-of-thrones-got-season-8-hbo-final-night-king-fire-dragon-targaryen-theory

The Night King was created by the Children of the Forest as a weapon in their war against the First Men, the original race of humans that came to Westeros (later followed by the Andals and the Rhoynar). This took place roughly 6,000 to 8,000 years before the Targaryen conquest of Westeros after the downfall of Valyria, around 300 years before the series started.

The Night King, on the other hand, (at least in the show) has been around so long that he was not only deployed by the Children of the Forest against the First Men, but the plan backfired. He became such a threat that the Children and mankind eventually allied against him.

George R.R. Martin notes that — in his books, at least — the Targaryen family possesses no such powers. “Targaryens are not immune to fire!” Martin said in a 1999 interview. “The birth of Dany’s dragons was unique, magical, wondrous, a miracle. She is called The Unburnt because she walked into the flames and lived. But her brother sure as hell wasn’t immune to that molten gold.”

Edited by Reed83HOF

Wrong

https://www.theverge.com/2019/4/29/18522808/game-of-thrones-got-season-8-hbo-final-night-king-fire-dragon-targaryen-theory

George R.R. Martin notes that — in his books, at least — the Targaryen family possesses no such powers. “Targaryens are not immune to fire!” Martin said in a 1999 interview. “The birth of Dany’s dragons was unique, magical, wondrous, a miracle. She is called The Unburnt because she walked into the flames and lived. But her brother sure as hell wasn’t immune to that molten gold.”

hey brother, how do you embed tweets here?

Wrong

We'll see soon enough

I’m sorry but if you think this last episode is all of what Game of Thrones has been building towards than you’ve been mistaken.

It has always, always been about the Iron Throne.

The WW and NK is a story arc within the battle for the Iron Throne. It’s not the main arc for the entire series, but one of many. The story arcs introduced in the first episode are the WW/NK/Beyond the wall, Danny and her plot to retake the Iron throne, the Lannister’s and their claim to the throne and the Starks and the North. Those then splinter off into characters and other stories. Those 4 main storylines have been present since the beginning, none of them as the most important story and all having to do with a claim to Westeros and the Iron throne.

This was simply the ending to 1 of those story lines and I’m not even sure it’s the most interesting because the NK has no dialogue the entire series. The other 3 stories have had HUGE amounts of dialogue and character building.  

Edited by Wayne Cubed
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I’m actually kind of happy that the whole WW/NK story is dead, so to speak. Wasn’t a massive fan of the night shots but I understand why they did it.

I think it served it’s purpose and I haven’t like how they handled it from the last season anyways. 

ONTO CERSEI!!!

Edited by Wayne Cubed

6 minutes ago, Wayne Cubed said:

I’m actually kind of happy that the whole WW/NK story is dead, so to speak. I think it served it’s purpose and I didn’t like how they handled it from the last season. 

ONTO CERSEI!!!

Jaime will kill her with his Golden faux hand.

2 minutes ago, Rockpile233 said:

I don’t necessarily think Jamie sees Cersei again. I expect Bronn goes through with it and kills one of Jamie or Tyrion. 

I see Jamie as making more sense here. 

See I think Bronn actually dies trying to kill either of them. I don’t see a point in keeping him alive. I kind of think it ends up being Tyrion.

3 minutes ago, Rockpile233 said:

I don’t necessarily think Jamie sees Cersei again. I expect Bronn goes through with it and kills one of Jamie or Tyrion. 

I see Jamie as making more sense here. 

I expected to see Bronn last night ... Then again he said he didn't want to be anywhere near Dragons again.

1 minute ago, Wayne Cubed said:

See I think Bronn actually dies trying to kill either of them. I don’t see a point in keeping him alive. I kind of think it ends up being Tyrion.

If you introduce a secret crossbow it’s definitely going to be used. He’d have to miss for one of them to survive and Bronn is usually synonymous with not missing.

1 minute ago, Rockpile233 said:

If you introduce a secret crossbow it’s definitely going to be used. He’d have to miss for one of them to survive and Bronn is usually synonymous with not missing.

Perhaps this is where Brienne dies or Podrack, they get into the way of the shot or something.

Much like the Starks I think it’s important to the story line for all the Lannister’s to reunite.

Edited by Wayne Cubed
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Wayne Cubed said:

Perhaps this is where Brienne dies or Podrack, they get into the way of the shot or something.

Much like the Starks I think it’s important to the story line for all the Lannister’s to reunite.

I like this.

I really enjoyed last night's episode and consider it one of the better episodes of the entire show to date.  

Of note: I did probably 20 pages of reading at two GOT dedicated forums last night after the show, and I would say it's fair to say the episode was by and large very poorly received by fans.

Many complaints that it was too dark and hard to see what was happening, not enough big names killed, the whole thing was too short and easy after such a long, epic build-up, the way the NK was killed was too simplistic and Arya was a poor choice as the killer, etc...

One thing: it was fairly obvious that the good guy army was completely decimated in the Battle of Winterfell.

So then with what army is Dani going to go duke it out with Cersei?  

I suspect she will still magically have a large army at her disposal, but that is rather unrealistic. 

• Like (+1) 2

24 minutes ago, Wayne Cubed said:

***** ?

Never mind.

Edited by frostbitmic

1 hour ago, frostbitmic said:

Targaryan's don't burn.

Not true.

not all Targaryens burn 

who died with molten gold on his head?  Dany’s ***** brother. 

who got burned throwing the lantern at the white walker in Castle Black?

Jon snow burned his hand